Passenger side mirror not working

JanDaMan

Went to drive today for a beach run; however the passenger side mirror will not extend outward. The drivers side extends and retracts fine though. I know both sides normally make a noise when working them, but the passenger side now makes a louder groaning noise and does not move at all. So at least I know it is getting power. Any ideas? I didn't do my beach run, as it is just too hard to see around the car without that passenger side working. Thanks.

Went to drive today for a beach run; however the passenger side mirror will not extend outward. The drivers side extends and retracts fine though. I know both sides normally make a noise when working them, but the passenger side now makes a louder groaning noise and does not move at all. So at least I know it is getting power. Any ideas? I didn't do my beach run, as it is just too hard to see around the car without that passenger side working. Thanks.

Sounds like the passenger side is jammed. Try spraying some WD-40 into the internals where it hinges and someone from the give it a push or tug accordingly with the driver's side status.

Sounds like the passenger side is jammed. Try spraying some WD-40 into the internals where it hinges and someone from the give it a push or tug accordingly with the driver's side status.

I tried spraying some lube on what I could see inside, and put the wife to work giving it a "tug" which she is expert doing; however no luck in making it move. Any risk in unscrewing the bottom round plastic housing of the mirror and see if I can see anything wrong from that point of view? Just want to be sure if I take off that round plastic housing on the bottom that it just simply screws back on. I unscrewed it a bit with a star hex type socket, but a little cautious to remove that piece entirely until I know it is safe. I am not sure how much mirrors cost, but just being cautious not knowing what I am doing, especially when I saw on ebay a simple used gas cap is $300 or so. I am afraid to look what a mirror is.

I tried spraying some lube on what I could see inside, and put the wife to work giving it a "tug" which she is expert doing; however no luck in making it move. Any risk in unscrewing the bottom round plastic housing of the mirror and see if I can see anything wrong from that point of view? Just want to be sure if I take off that round plastic housing on the bottom that it just simply screws back on. I unscrewed it a bit with a star hex type socket, but a little cautious to remove that piece entirely until I know it is safe. I am not sure how much mirrors cost, but just being cautious not knowing what I am doing, especially when I saw on ebay a simple used gas cap is $300 or so. I am afraid to look what a mirror is.

From what I can remember, the round piece on the bottom is just a cover and can be unscrew without any issues.

I am not sure how the mirror is constructed, but if there is a motor inside it or some gear mechanism, then maybe something has gone wrong with that. From the photos below it seems there is some mechanism (or motor) inside the mirror that makes it pivot. I tried squirting some lube on the top of it assuming maybe it would drip in, and in other places squirted lube too, but still no luck. If it was just stuck, then I would think you would see some slight movement of the mirror trying to rotate out when working the mirror switch, but nothing except growling noise. Looks like a trip to Lambo Newport for me to have a look see.

26458691124_45d6fb194d_b.jpgPassenger mirror viewed from front of car by JanDaMan, on Flickr

26460372393_ff02a3ee1a_b.jpgPassenger mirror viewed from front of car by JanDaMan, on Flickr

26458685984_8bf5bf3635_b.jpgPassenger mirror viewed from front of car by JanDaMan, on Flickr

27064067155_e4f5361a73_b.jpgPassenger mirror viewed from under the mirror by JanDaMan, on Flickr

27031064776_aab7eeb7af_b.jpgPiece from under the mirror by JanDaMan, on Flickr

Interested in the fix... My passenger mirror has acted up where it will sometimes retract and sometimes not.

Well before going to Lambo Newport, I decided to tug it myself. I opened the side window, reached in to work the mirror switch and tugged the mirror a bit. That actually made the mirror work; however I now just have the fart noise near the end of the mirror retracting as shown in the video below. There are also a couple of click noises just before it closes, but would need to listen at the drivers side mirror again to see if that noise is the same as the passenger side. Before this stage the mirror was not moving at all and the fart noise was constant when trying to either extend or retract the mirror. I suppose I could live with this, but just wonder if some mechanism inside the mirror is about to give out. Not sure yet if I really want to do surgery and try and unfasten those screws at the bottom of the mirror as shown on the photo in the post above to see what's inside. I may just leave it alone unless the mirror gives out entirely again, if it ever does.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Afternoon,

At the weekend I was looking to make my car more aerodynamic - it is really easy to do and greatly smooths out the profile of the car.

Whilst reversing out of the garage you check left mirror, right mirror, left, right - bank left bends the wrong way - **** !!!!!

Mirror is now off and apart and I understand what broke and how it works - which may help with intermittent folding.

There are two metal arms connected in the middle with an "elbow".

The inner part connects to the door the outer is the folding part of the mirror.

The outer has what I can only describe as a metal loop, which fits over the plastic motor - when the motor turns it then turns the metal arm and the mirror folds.

I cracked the arm and the plastic motor housing.

The arm is also bolted to the plastic housing so the fact that it is broken on the "loop" part is not a huge issue, but the cracked plastic bit is.

The attached is what the plastic motor bit looks like - it is identical although the motor is horizontal whereas on this image it shows it coming at an angle, could just be the image. http://www.google.com/patents/US7008067

The patent was filed but I cant find any reference to it being picked up and used in another car.

I cracked part number 10 and 20 - they are now glued back together and appear fine. They pivot around part 51 which is bolted to the inner arm.

Obviously the motor - same size as a slot car motor acts on part 16 which turns part 17 which then rotates around part 18. For the intermittent issue it could be wear to or a slight miss alignment to either of these cogs.

To take the mirror apart you need to remove the glass mirror part to access the 4 retaining screws which allow the outer cover to come off - as to how you get it off without damaging the glass ??? You can try my method or you are on your own.

All parts are listed separately motor and arm - but they aren't cheap.

Del

Afternoon,

At the weekend I was looking to make my car more aerodynamic - it is really easy to do and greatly smooths out the profile of the car.

Whilst reversing out of the garage you check left mirror, right mirror, left, right - bank left bends the wrong way - **** !!!!!

Mirror is now off and apart and I understand what broke and how it works - which may help with intermittent folding.

There are two metal arms connected in the middle with an "elbow".

The inner part connects to the door the outer is the folding part of the mirror.

The outer has what I can only describe as a metal loop, which fits over the plastic motor - when the motor turns it then turns the metal arm and the mirror folds.

I cracked the arm and the plastic motor housing.

The arm is also bolted to the plastic housing so the fact that it is broken on the "loop" part is not a huge issue, but the cracked plastic bit is.

The attached is what the plastic motor bit looks like - it is identical although the motor is horizontal whereas on this image it shows it coming at an angle, could just be the image. http://www.google.com/patents/US7008067

The patent was filed but I cant find any reference to it being picked up and used in another car.

I cracked part number 10 and 20 - they are now glued back together and appear fine. They pivot around part 51 which is bolted to the inner arm.

Obviously the motor - same size as a slot car motor acts on part 16 which turns part 17 which then rotates around part 18. For the intermittent issue it could be wear to or a slight miss alignment to either of these cogs.

To take the mirror apart you need to remove the glass mirror part to access the 4 retaining screws which allow the outer cover to come off - as to how you get it off without damaging the glass ??? You can try my method or you are on your own.

All parts are listed separately motor and arm - but they aren't cheap.

Del

Thanks for the info. Would be cool to see actual photos if you still had yours apart. Yeah, I was thinking some gear may be out of alignment, at least that what it sounds like in my video clip. You say the parts are not cheap. Do you know of a source, or maybe just Lambo dealer? Ebay isn't any luck for the innards. In the end if I don't want to mess with it I may just keep the mirrors open (although more prone to walk by bump).

Thanks for the info. Would be cool to see actual photos if you still had yours apart. Yeah, I was thinking some gear may be out of alignment, at least that what it sounds like in my video clip. You say the parts are not cheap. Do you know of a source, or maybe just Lambo dealer? Ebay isn't any luck for the innards. In the end if I don't want to mess with it I may just keep the mirrors open (although more prone to walk by bump).

I do have a used in good condition passenger side mirror housing for sale. Do drop me a pm if you are keen.

I do have a used in good condition passenger side mirror housing for sale. Do drop me a pm if you are keen.

Thanks for the offer, but as of yet I am not sure if it is an adjustment issue or if something went wrong inside. As noted in the video clip, it opens fine and closes fine; however it just makes a buzz noise at the end of the closing motion. I am not even sure if there is any adjustment process or not with these mirrors for the open/close motion. But looking at the few photos above of that bottom round cap, there seems to be a plastic post on that cap that goes up inside the mirror, and the center screw on that cap has slots where it fits onto the mirror to lock that position. Maybe that hole for the plastic post is where it can be adjusted somehow up within there, and then you attach the round cap? I figure that hole and post serves some function, otherwise it would just be a round plastic cap alone on the bottom of the mirror. I sent the video clip to Troy at Newport Lambo asking maybe a tech would be willing to take a quick look/listen to the video and see what they think.

Video clip:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Mine is a 2003 car and your mirror looks slightly different but attached are pictures of the motor - I have found that Lambo do stock them for about £50 so may just buy one.

motor_1.JPG

motor_2.JPG

motor_3.JPG

Del mar, thanks for the internal photos. Gives me an idea of what things look like inside. Damn plastic gears. The way my mirror sounds in the video clip, to me it sounds like maybe some of the plastic gears broke or worn or partially stripped. How the heck did you get to the internals of your mirror? In my photo shown in the post above showing the bottom of the mirror, maybe I remove those 4 screws shown and then the entire movable section of the mirror unit slides out?

I was just going to say screw it and just leave the mirrors extended; however I already almost bumped the drivers side mirror in doing so because they stick out pretty far. So, that's not a good idea for me.

Del mar, thanks for the internal photos. Gives me an idea of what things look like inside. Damn plastic gears. The way my mirror sounds in the video clip, to me it sounds like maybe some of the plastic gears broke or worn or partially stripped. How the heck did you get to the internals of your mirror? In my photo shown in the post above showing the bottom of the mirror, maybe I remove those 4 screws shown and then the entire movable section of the mirror unit slides out?

I was just going to say screw it and just leave the mirrors extended; however I already almost bumped the drivers side mirror in doing so because they stick out pretty far. So, that's not a good idea for me.

I got mine apart by reversing it into the garage !!!

Yours looks different, on mine you need to wriggle the glass to get at the four screws behind it - not easy, then you can pull the outer cover off. You then remove the mirror from the door and can see / take all bits apart. Yours looks as if it is held together by the screws on the bottom.

HOWEVER the two plastic halves to the motor are held together with little plastic rivets, I had to cut them to get mine apart. I don't think they matter in its working but that is a decision you will need to make. before you cut them open check to see fi you can get a replacement.

Damn, if you are not of monetary status of a big CEO, Scarface or such, then these unexpected things can get a bit annoying. I found out that Lamborghini policy with the mirror is to replace the entire mirror unit rather than fixing the internal issue. Thought on that seems to be that with just fixing the internal issue, then there is still chance something else internally could go wrong. But with a new mirror assembly then everything is new. I can understand the "need to pay to play" philosophy, or the concept of "don't buy it if you can't maintain it", but I am from the school that if something can reasonably be fixed, then why not have that option too with parts and service. I made some good money with my MNST to buy the car and maintain it, but with me it's more of the principle of the thing, where there should be an option for a parts rebuild as well as an option for new.

Maybe the unit is built as such that it can't be rebuilt (for instance factory permanent pressed in parts), but from the internals that del mar shows, it seems there are mainly just gears that can be replaced. I am no mechanic, so maybe that's just how the part is and I just need to replace the entire assembly if I want it to work.

Damn, if you are not of monetary status of a big CEO, Scarface or such, then these unexpected things can get a bit annoying. I found out that Lamborghini policy with the mirror is to replace the entire mirror unit rather than fixing the internal issue. Thought on that seems to be that with just fixing the internal issue, then there is still chance something else internally could go wrong. But with a new mirror assembly then everything is new. I can understand the "need to pay to play" philosophy, or the concept of "don't buy it if you can't maintain it", but I am from the school that if something can reasonably be fixed, then why not have that option too with parts and service. I made some good money with my MNST to buy the car and maintain it, but with me it's more of the principle of the thing, where there should be an option for a parts rebuild as well as an option for new.

Maybe the unit is built as such that it can't be rebuilt (for instance factory permanent pressed in parts), but from the internals that del mar shows, it seems there are mainly just gears that can be replaced. I am no mechanic, so maybe that's just how the part is and I just need to replace the entire assembly if I want it to work.

I have a mirror that doesn't fold on mine. I think the part alone is around $2,500. I didn't get it fixed yet.

I have a mirror that doesn't fold on mine. I think the part alone is around $2,500. I didn't get it fixed yet.

Do you know who I can call about the proper part? I am just told the whole unit needs to be replaced, but would like to look further into the part aspect. Looking at photos posted here to me it looks like my internals may be different than del mars. In my photos it looks like here is some enclosed silver color unit within. Looking at the above photos of the bottom of the mirror, to me it seems if I take out those 4 screws on the bottom of that pivot point then the entire outer portion of the mirror unit would disconnect and separate from the part attached to the car. I am getting "curiosity killed the cat" and may try and see what happens. I was just hoping someone else had experience with that particular model mirror. Maybe internally it just needs some cleaning and lube, where it needs to be taken apart to do so.

Do you know who I can call about the proper part? I am just told the whole unit needs to be replaced, but would like to look further into the part aspect. Looking at photos posted here to me it looks like my internals may be different than del mars. In my photos it looks like here is some enclosed silver color unit within. Looking at the above photos of the bottom of the mirror, to me it seems if I take out those 4 screws on the bottom of that pivot point then the entire outer portion of the mirror unit would disconnect and separate from the part attached to the car. I am getting "curiosity killed the cat" and may try and see what happens. I was just hoping someone else had experience with that particular model mirror. Maybe internally it just needs some cleaning and lube, where it needs to be taken apart to do so.

No, but Lamborghini Atlanta told me the same thing. The mirror doesn't really come apart and the whole unit has to be replaced. That's why I left it alone for now. Mine doesn't even attempt to fold though so in mine I think it's the motor that is dead.

We are all waiting for you to screw those four screws. It might be what you think, or it might not be what you think......only one way to find out :eusa_think:

We are all waiting for you to screw those four screws. It might be what you think, or it might not be what you think......only one way to find out :eusa_think:

Yeah, if the mirror didn't work at all, you can bet I would be doing surgery all over that thing at least to see if it would disassemble at the hinge. Not knowing what I am doing, I am just hesitant that it may come apart as intended and then I cant put it back together, or I put it back together wrong where some stop mechanism is not adjusted so it hits the window or such. Wifie has me on the to do list, but I may play with it next week.

• 5 weeks later...

Talking to Lambo Newport when I had my car in, they said the mirror is built around the motor so it seems it can not be taken apart anyway. Seems odd, but I guess that's the way it is.