Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Meanwhile, In Oregon.
TeeTruss
post Jan 11 2017, 08:40 PM
Post #21

Group: Official LP Member
Member No.: 110,661

QUOTE (Rouleur @ Jan 11 2017, 08:52 AM) *
My wife has been pushing for a move to Oregon to be closer to her brother and his wife, as they are about to have their first child. They live in Portland. I don't do well without the sun, and I love Bend, so she has been pushing for a move there. I follow all the Bend websites, I have been there several times and love it, but the recent one with all the snow had me scratching my head.

SoCal is always nice, and I can fly to Portland for 70 bucks. Might have to do that instead.

I lived in Portland for a little over two years. Now back in LA... would never move back there again. Beautiful for sure.. but like you said can fly there for next to nothing.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Fortis
post Jan 12 2017, 01:46 AM
Post #22

Group Icon

Group: LPower VIP
Member No.: 7,524

QUOTE (WheelsRCool @ Jan 12 2017, 11:17 AM) *
I almost got killed driving home about a month ago. There is a road that can be clear but it goes through fields and these fields, due to the winds, cause big patches of snow to blow out over the road. I thought I was going slow enough, but this turned out to be an extra thick patch, so the car went out of control. I skipped into the opposite lane right into oncoming traffic. The car was turning leftward in a spin. I remember looking out the passenger window at the oncoming pickup truck and thinking the following:

1) Oh crap, this is it
2) Oh crap, this is gonna hurt
3) Crap, now the car is gonna get totaled and everything is gonna be ruined!

LUCKILY, however, the car kept rotating and managed to do a full 180, so the pickup truck, as it swerved, just barely managed to avoid hitting the car as the combination of the car finishing the 180 and the pickup swerving allowed a miss. The pickup then had to correct again to avoid skidding off the road, but I imagine it was a huge scare to the pickup driver as well because from their vantage point, for a second or two at least, it would have seemed 100% that they were going to smash straight into the side of a car.

Never driving any faster than 20 - 30 mph over that kind of snow patch from now on! Then there is the occasional problem of black ice in the mornings as well, where you can't see it but it can turn the road into a skating rink.

Damn Wheels, stay safe man!
+Quote Post
rmtn
post Jan 12 2017, 07:02 AM
Post #23

Photoshop Wizard

Member No.: 20,201

NAAH PUSSIES!

Studded winter tires, more pedal to the metal and more opposite lock. Enjoy while it lasts! wink.gif
+Quote Post
Kerplop
post Jan 12 2017, 09:15 AM
Post #24

I'm addicted....

Group: Lambo Owner
Member No.: 9,285

QUOTE (rmtn @ Jan 12 2017, 07:02 AM) *
NAAH PUSSIES!

Studded winter tires, more pedal to the metal and more opposite lock. Enjoy while it lasts! wink.gif

We have a deadline on studded tires. They absolutely must be off by april 1st. With winters as crazy as this one, I'd rather just roll regular snow tires. The studs are only good for ice anyway.

--------------------

QUOTE (12097 @ Feb 11 2007, 06:32 PM) *
With respect to rearward visibility................
Whatsa behinda you no matta, ifa you a fasta

Someday I want one of them diables.
+Quote Post
TestShoot
post Jan 12 2017, 02:24 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

Group: LPower VIP
Member No.: 15,154

good old buckshot tires

--------------------

In my owners book, page 2 congratulated me on owning best track car in world and page 3 warned me taking on track can void warranty!
+Quote Post
abolfaz
post Jan 12 2017, 03:33 PM
Post #26

Multi Lambo Owner
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,430

QUOTE (Chipster @ Jan 10 2017, 06:00 PM) *
I was in VT a couple weeks ago and they got some snow and I was surprised to see people in things like Priuses attempting to make it up hills. Of course they didn't and caused huge backups. Stay safe!

QUOTE (Griza @ Jan 10 2017, 07:22 PM) *
I was at our ski house in VT over Christmas. Was nice that it snowed a bit but it gets old quick.

Kerplop, I think its time for an SUV!

No shit, I was in VT as well.

--------------------

“Never pass up the opportunity to have sex or be on television.” - Gore Vidal

+Quote Post
Griza
post Jan 12 2017, 04:34 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 3,774

QUOTE (abolfaz @ Jan 12 2017, 06:33 PM) *
No shit, I was in VT as well.

Where in VT were you? Our house is in Weston, Just south of Okemo in Ludlow. We all got very lucky as the week before Christmas it was below zero.

--------------------

miamirealestatemoguls.com
South Florida Luxury Real Estate
+Quote Post
WheelsRCool
post Jan 12 2017, 07:35 PM
Post #28

They see me wheelin', they hatin'

Member No.: 9,364

For very slippery/deep snow conditions, make sure your SUV you buy has a serious AWD or 4WD system. A lot of people don't know it, but a lot of AWD/4WD systems are not really true AWD or 4WD. They will not send enough of the engine's torque to the wheels that need it. For example if you have a conventional part-time 4WD system that locks the front and rear axles together, the torque will just go to the wheel on each axle with the least traction in a slippery situation because of the differentials being open. However you can over-ride this by "riding the brakes" so-to-speak, which "tricks' the system into thinking all four wheels have equal resistance.

A good locking rear differential is a very handy thing to have. A locking front differential too, but probably not needed. The Subaru and Mercedes-Benz 4Matic systems are very good, able to transmit a majority of torque to one wheel if needed.

--------------------

"Work is not a curse; it is the prerogative of intelligence, the only means to manhood, and the measure of civilization." --- Calvin Coolidge
+Quote Post
Kerplop
post Jan 12 2017, 10:44 PM
Post #29

I'm addicted....

QUOTE (WheelsRCool @ Jan 12 2017, 07:35 PM) *
A good locking rear differential is a very handy thing to have. A locking front differential too, but probably not needed. The Subaru and Mercedes-Benz 4Matic systems are very good, able to transmit a majority of torque to one wheel if needed.

At some point, hopefully this summer after the Jalpa is finished, I plan on hunting down a factory LSD for my 931.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rouleur
post Jan 13 2017, 07:25 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (Kerplop @ Jan 13 2017, 01:44 AM) *
At some point, hopefully this summer after the Jalpa is finished, I plan on hunting down a factory LSD for my 931.

Took my '87 944 Turbo out for the first time in a year last night. Car needs a clutch badly, but man, it ran like it was new. For a car that has such a slew of problems all the time, I still love it.
+Quote Post
Kerplop
post Jan 13 2017, 09:59 AM
Post #31

I'm addicted....

QUOTE (Rouleur @ Jan 13 2017, 07:25 AM) *
Took my '87 944 Turbo out for the first time in a year last night. Car needs a clutch badly, but man, it ran like it was new. For a car that has such a slew of problems all the time, I still love it.

I love the 951. Great cars. Not a fan of the N/A cars. But the turbo models of the 924 and 944 are beastly little cars. Replacing the clutch on the other hand is.... an adventure.

--------------------

+Quote Post
WheelsRCool
post Jan 13 2017, 05:35 PM
Post #32

QUOTE (Kerplop @ Jan 13 2017, 01:44 AM) *

LSDs are good, but depending on the LSD, will not necessarily give you the traction you need in a hardcore slippery situation. They do as the name suggests, limit the slip, but usually only send a fraction of the torque to the opposite wheel, which may not be enough to get you going again in a really slippery situation. For a car it's of course better than nothing, but for an SUV or pickup truck, a solid locker is best from my understanding.

Some systems like the 4Matic do it where they have a center system for sending a majority of torque to one of the axles, and then just use the braking system to transmit torque to the wheel that needs grip. Basically the brake is applied to the slipping wheel which makes that wheel harder to turn and thus the torque moves to the opposite wheel. Such systems are great for cars as they remove the mechanical complexity and added weight of limited slip or locking differentials, their downside however is that they can't work if you press the brakes.

The Mercedes-Benz G-Wagon gives the best of both worlds, the 4Matic system and THREE locking differentials.

--------------------

"Work is not a curse; it is the prerogative of intelligence, the only means to manhood, and the measure of civilization." --- Calvin Coolidge
+Quote Post
Kerplop
post Jan 13 2017, 05:56 PM
Post #33

I'm addicted....

QUOTE (WheelsRCool @ Jan 13 2017, 05:35 PM) *
LSDs are good, but depending on the LSD, will not necessarily give you the traction you need in a hardcore slippery situation. They do as the name suggests, limit the slip, but usually only send a fraction of the torque to the opposite wheel, which may not be enough to get you going again in a really slippery situation. For a car it's of course better than nothing, but for an SUV or pickup truck, a solid locker is best from my understanding.

Some systems like the 4Matic do it where they have a center system for sending a majority of torque to one of the axles, and then just use the braking system to transmit torque to the wheel that needs grip. Basically the brake is applied to the slipping wheel which makes that wheel harder to turn and thus the torque moves to the opposite wheel. Such systems are great for cars as they remove the mechanical complexity and added weight of limited slip or locking differentials, their downside however is that they can't work if you press the brakes.

The Mercedes-Benz G-Wagon gives the best of both worlds, the 4Matic system and THREE locking differentials.

Yes wheels, I am aware how a limited slip works.

--------------------

+Quote Post
WheelsRCool
post Jan 13 2017, 08:08 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (Kerplop @ Jan 13 2017, 08:56 PM) *
Yes wheels, I am aware how a limited slip works.

Wasn't meaning to insult your intelligence, didn't know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rouleur
post Jan 14 2017, 08:37 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (Kerplop @ Jan 13 2017, 12:59 PM) *
I love the 951. Great cars. Not a fan of the N/A cars. But the turbo models of the 924 and 944 are beastly little cars. Replacing the clutch on the other hand is.... an adventure.

An adventure I likely will have someone else walk to path of!

The car is really nice. I have had it for 13 years. Don't ever plan on getting rid of it, although it has pissed me off so bad so many times I am surprised I didn't set it on fire and roll it down a cliff.

I can imagine how fun it would be to roll up Mt Batchelor and down the backside and rip around over there. You guys have some lovely roads.
+Quote Post
Kerplop
post Jan 14 2017, 09:09 AM
Post #36

I'm addicted....

QUOTE (Rouleur @ Jan 14 2017, 08:37 AM) *
An adventure I likely will have someone else walk to path of!

The car is really nice. I have had it for 13 years. Don't ever plan on getting rid of it, although it has pissed me off so bad so many times I am surprised I didn't set it on fire and roll it down a cliff.

I can imagine how fun it would be to roll up Mt Batchelor and down the backside and rip around over there. You guys have some lovely roads.

We certainly do have that, and a lot of very fun roads. Summer time with the Ducati is a blast.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2017 - 06:31 PM

> Our Sponsors

your alt tag