Performante and 720S on track

The Lamba Genie

I got my Performante late September, and that gave me a week to acclimate and break in the engine before taking it to the track. This is a vid that some guy did, I was just there to dice it up a bit with my buddy driving the 720S, we had great fun playing cat and mouse, so I thought I'd share.

All the video is from his car, which should give you a good idea of how the Performante looks under pressure.

What a nice track, I wish we had something like that over here. The Performante sounds incredible, how do you like it so far?

Sears Point has a nice flow, and the lack of any long straights equalizes power and focuses on handling and driver prowess.

The Performante is much better than I was expecting, having owned a 580 for a year before this. I hated that car and it was abysmal on track. So I was predisposed to dislike the Performante, but it is nothing like a 580, and is an utterly brilliant achievement. The 3 driving modes have distinctly different personalities, and I'm convinced the magnetorheological dampers are responsible for an unheard of combination of soft enough for the street but stiff enough for the track. I can definitely feel the 4WD working at times, especially when the front becomes unloaded and light, there's a vagueness to the steering and a scrambling of tires looking for traction, but most of the time it feels very solid and planted. The Dynamic Steering is seamless, and is notable by its absence.

As an experience it trounces the 580, the cabin feels much higher rent, the design more Batman, esp in the Grigio Titans. It doesn't have the straightline pull of the 720S, but makes up for it with exhaust noise from heaven, and staccato downshifts and overruns, not to mention the sexy shape.

Perhaps I posted this topic too early, there can't be many owners who have driven one yet on a track in anger, so I don't think for now there will be much comparing of notes. So I'll share some pictures instead. :)

DAIWoy9.jpg

3bPJDLT.jpg

I got my Performante late September, and that gave me a week to acclimate and break in the engine before taking it to the track. This is a vid that some guy did, I was just there to dice it up a bit with my buddy driving the 720S, we had great fun playing cat and mouse, so I thought I'd share.

All the video is from his car, which should give you a good idea of how the Performante looks under pressure.

Is your car Grigio Titans? Any issues with clear wrapping it?

Is your car Grigio Titans? Any issues with clear wrapping it?

It is Titans, and I haven't wrapped it yet so I don't know. I just talked to my guy about it, and he says Xpel matte is the one to use, apparently there are 3 mattes, but he likes that one the best as it preserves the original finish. Said the others add too much of their own look. He was going to come by sometime soon with small 1 ft samples to apply so I can see for myself. I'm not doing the whole car so it's important the product not change the look. I'll report back when I have more info.

First off, welcome to LP. Second, congrats on the car!

I think your will like Xpel Stealth (matte protective wrap). It doesn’t interfere with the car’s own matte paint and it also has the self-healing capability like the regular clear wrap (Xpel Ultimate). No affiliation with Xpel whatsoever, just an user feedback as I have the Xpel Stealth on one of my cars with the factory matte paint and Xpel Ultimate on another with regular gloss paint. Very happy with both.

^^^

Thanks guys, that is exactly what I want to hear. :)

If you did not do the whole car, what bits did you choose to do?

I did the entire front end, mirrors, behind tires and roof. they call it the race package.

I did the entire front end, mirrors, behind tires and roof. they call it the race package.

Add the lower rockers also. There are

all high impact areas from road debris.