Waterrower, Anyone use it or own one ?

fmari

I am thinking about getting one. Looks like it is really good cardio and uses so many muscles. Any thoughts?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am thinking about getting one. Looks like it is really good cardio and uses so many muscles. Any thoughts?

been planning on getting one too... I like the compact size.

I highly recommend rowing to everyone. It is the most under-rated cardio exercise out there. Rowers generally have the highest absolute VO2Max of any athlete because the motion requires full body effort on each stroke. Some studies put rowing at up to 50% more efficient than running--that is, rowing 1 mile in 8 minutes has equivalent energy expenditure to running 1.5 miles in 8 minutes. It is also VERY good for joints; low impact, but high range-of-motion.

That being said, the physics and dynamics of agitating water in a closed system (as in a water-rower) just isn't ideal for creating consistent feel and effort stroke to stroke. Agitation and turbulence can create all sorts of weird effects in water-rowers.

I've tried a few, hated them. Feels very un-natural ironically. I prefer the Concept2 type!

This. Concept2 is regarded amongst competitive rowers as the best in terms of carry-over to a real boat. It's also much less complex than a water-rower so should require less maintenance and have fewer problems. Pretty much every crew practice facility has several (or dozens) Concept2 rowers.

Also, the BodyCraft VR500 is highly regarded. Similar in design and construction to the Concept2, but targeted more towards the consumer sector and so has a design and features with that in mind. It costs a couple hundred more than a Concept2 but isn't any more expensive than a water-rower.

I highly recommend rowing to everyone. It is the most under-rated cardio exercise out there. Rowers generally have the highest absolute VO2Max of any athlete because the motion requires full body effort on each stroke. Some studies put rowing at up to 50% more efficient than running--that is, rowing 1 mile in 8 minutes has equivalent energy expenditure to running 1.5 miles in 8 minutes. It is also VERY good for joints;

Great info. Thanks! You seem to know a lot about rowing. If one were to get into gym rowing to increase aerobic endurance how would you suggest going about it? Would you suggest a warm up then going fast and hard or a warm up and going easy and long or something else?

I ordered from Waterrower with the S4 monitor. I will chime in once I tried it for a few days. Talked to the distributor, they say once they come in the run out of stock. Pretty popular.

Great info. Thanks! You seem to know a lot about rowing. If one were to get into gym rowing to increase aerobic endurance how would you suggest going about it? Would you suggest a warm up then going fast and hard or a warm up and going easy and long or something else?

You shouldn't limit yourself to one way or the other. Variety will give you the best benefit. Short intense bursts will force your lungs and body to be efficient in oxygenating blood which is of course necessary for endurance. Longer easier sets will help the body learn to shuttle waste products out better, another important factor for endurance. Under intense activity, cells will utilize anaerobic respiration for 60-90 seconds, at which point they move on to the aerobic process until they have a chance to rest and refill local carb stores. Basically that means that you don't have to crank out an hour of exercise to see results--I rarely go for more than about 40 minutes, and often only 20-30 minutes.

Sometimes my worksets (after warmup) I'll go hard for 500m-1000m-1500m-1000m-500m taking a rest for a bit in between each. Other times I might just crank out a couple 5km or 10km sets. You could also do time intervals-- row hard for 30 seconds, then easy for 30 seconds, for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes I might set the rower to the power reading and try to keep my power output above a certain threshold for a certain time period, perhaps doing 250 watts for a minute, then 200 for a minute, then 150 for a minute, and then repeat several times. You could even combine any of the above. Also, the good rowers should have built in programs that you could follow.

You shouldn't limit yourself to one way or the other. Variety will give you the best benefit. Short intense bursts will force your lungs and body to be efficient in oxygenating blood which is of course necessary for endurance. Longer easier sets will help the body learn to shuttle waste products out better, another important factor for endurance. Under intense activity, cells will utilize anaerobic respiration for 60-90 seconds, at which point they move on to the aerobic process until they have a chance to rest and refill local carb stores. Basically that means that you don't have to crank out an hour of exercise to see results--I rarely go for more than about 40 minutes, and often only 20-30 minutes.

Sometimes my worksets (after warmup) I'll go hard for 500m-1000m-1500m-1000m-500m taking a rest for a bit in between each. Other times I might just crank out a couple 5km or 10km sets. You could also do time intervals-- row hard for 30 seconds, then easy for 30 seconds, for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes I might set the rower to the power reading and try to keep my power output above a certain threshold for a certain time period, perhaps doing 250 watts for a minute, then 200 for a minute, then 150 for a minute, and then repeat several times. You could even combine any of the above. Also, the good rowers should have built in programs that you could follow.

Thanks! I'll put your advice to use. I appreciate you taking the time for your response.

Aaah, the rowing machine. Also known as the torture device.

I used to row competitively in high school for 4 years and it was very intense training.

Nowadays the only rowing I do is on a conceptII machine in the gym. Typically I'll do my first set/round of exercises (bench press, leg extensions etc) , followed by a minute of 100% sprint on the rowing machine. Then I'll do my 2nd round of exercises, followed by 50seconds at 100% on the rowing machine. Repeat until you've finished your gym session.

If you are thinking of doing 100% sprints, build up to the longer times. ie, start with a 30 sec sprint, then the following week go to 40 secs, then 50 secs etc.

• 1 month later...
I ordered from Waterrower with the S4 monitor. I will chime in once I tried it for a few days. Talked to the distributor, they say once they come in the run out of stock. Pretty popular.

So? Update?

Fine... I'll update it... Mine came today... Just finished putting it together... As some of you know, I'm not afraid of "Some assembly required"... But this was by far the most frustrating assembly Ive ever done...

The thing is wood... It comes in 5 major pieces. That are held together by what I call grommet nuts (sometimes called "sleeve nuts"). Where the nut has a sleeve that feeds into a pre-drilled hole in the wood, and then a sleeved bolt is fed into it...

The problem is, these holes look like they were drilled by Michael J. Fox... With a hand drill from PBS's The Woodwright's Shoppe. None of the fcuking holes line up!!!! A less handy dude wuld have said "fcuk this shit" and told them to stick the fcuking thing right up their ass...

But. I got it... Took about an hour (to put in a total of 14 bolts... thats how fucked up these things were It should have taken 15 minutes tops... But I had to struggle to get shit square).

Thats probably the most goddamned exercise Ill ever get from the thing.

I'll fill it with water tomorrow...

I've been looking into picking up a concept 2 rowing machine for some time, based entirely off web reviews. Which one did you pick up?

I've been looking into picking up a concept 2 rowing machine for some time, based entirely off web reviews. Which one did you pick up?

Water rower... Didnt have the space in my gym (ahem- gun room) for the bigger C2 or I would have gone with that..

My parents have a Concept 2 at their house. It's pretty neat and I like it, but it takes up a lot of space.

Thats probably the most goddamned exercise Ill ever get from the thing.

LOL!!!

As above-said, personally, I prefer the Concept 2. It is a long unit; but why not store it upright when not in use to save space? Doesn't take that much effort to tilt it upright when done and lower it back down for use.

Romandad,

I had the same problem with assembly. Holes are more than an 1/8 off so hard as hell to get screw started !!! Overall it is a nice machine. Gives a good workout.

LOL!!!

As above-said, personally, I prefer the Concept 2. It is a long unit; but why not store it upright when not in use to save space? Doesn't take that much effort to tilt it upright when done and lower it back down for use.

Low ceiling too...

You aren't kidding! After seeing this thread I had the bright idea of dusting off my rower (some old lifecore fitness thing) and thinking to myself, "hmm I can jump on this thing for 30-45 minutes and start making my comeback"....10 minutes later and I'm trying to bail out the boat! I dont think I made it across a nice size pool, much less the English Chanel like I was envisioning my self doing. Plus I feel like a frog since my belly is so big I cant bring my knees straight up to my chest...they have to splay out akimbo style! Thanks Oba...er Lambopower! :icon_mrgreen:

You aren't kidding! After seeing this thread I had the bright idea of dusting off my rower (some old lifecore fitness thing) and thinking to myself, "hmm I can jump on this thing for 30-45 minutes and start making my comeback"....10 minutes later and I'm trying to bail out the boat! I dont think I made it across a nice size pool, much less the English Chanel like I was envisioning my self doing. Plus I feel like a frog since my belly is so big I cant bring my knees straight up to my chest...they have to splay out akimbo style! Thanks Oba...er Lambopower! :icon_mrgreen:

10?

I made it five and had to stop... Today I got 6. I may be up to ten by next month....

And I hear ya on the splayed legs thing... Except for me its because of my gigantic cock and balls....

3 weeks ago I bought myself Bowflex max m5.

It's THE 1st machine I'm using every single day, not as a hanger, but to do 14 minutes workout. That's right, 14 min per day only, that's all they ask.

Actually I'm looking forward to do it, crazy.

10?

I made it five and had to stop... Today I got 6. I may be up to ten by next month....

And I hear ya on the splayed legs thing... Except for me its because of my gigantic cock and balls....

Haha! Better than sitting on them I guess, a la old man Johnny Knoxville! :icon_mrgreen: