Stalling

IlToro

The 98 SV will start, but then die repeatedly. When coming to a stop, the RPM's seem to drop suddenly, and the engine dies. It will always start right back up, but then want to stall again unless you get moving. After warm up the condition seems to improve with less stalling, but is still intermittently present.

Have checked for vacuum leaks, and considering items like Carter motor, and throttle position sensor it seems there would be an associated CEL, but there are none, and the engine runs fine once underway.

What else to check?

I was thinking fuel pressure too which I don't think the computer could sense, and thus no CEL.

Jeff, the idle speed is 900 RPM when warmed up. It does not idle up to the typical 1500 RPM or so when cold, You have to keep giving it gas which would point to the Carter motor?

Thanks for the replys.

It sounds like carter motor not working. Its not hard to take center engine cover off and look at piston on carter motor is pushed out. It should come out when key turned on. Ideal speed is to low when its warm. I think its best about 1180 rpm. Clean throttle body's then get engine up to full

coolant and oil temps and set the ideal speed up. This should solve stalling issue coming to a stop with normal operating temps. Carter issue is a different story. Send me a PM if you like.

Check your spark plugs, wires and ignition coil.

This is a symptom of faulty ignition coils on the early Murci (drove me nuts until I figured it out.)