Title

I left for a few weeks and came back to this! WTF? It's mold build-up and I've never seen this or had this happen before. It was also on some clothes in that room as well. I thought it was because I had the air conditioning off for the few weeks I was gone, but I don't see mold anywhere else in the house.

Do you think it's something related to the wood frame itself? The super yellow piece was facing the floor. The top side was covered by the mattress and you can see what happened to it.

Needless to say, I'm throwing it all out, but I don't want this to happen again.

post-16265-1277571680_thumb.jpg

post-16265-1277571703_thumb.jpg

I left for a few weeks and came back to this! WTF? It's mold build-up and I've never seen this or had this happen before. It was also on some clothes in that room as well. I thought it was because I had the air conditioning off for the few weeks I was gone, but I don't see mold anywhere else in the house.

Do you think it's something related to the wood frame itself? The super yellow piece was facing the floor. The top side was covered by the mattress and you can see what happened to it.

Needless to say, I'm throwing it all out, but I don't want this to happen again.

That is definitely Stachybotrys Mold. Get rid of it quick and be sure to wear a N95 mask while your doing it. Somehow while you were gone moisture got into your bedroom. Having the A/C off could have contributed if you are in a high humidity environment.

Try not to write a tome in your titles. You don't need to put a chapter's worth of information in the headline and subheadline.

PS: Congrats on living like a king. Looks like all those years of hard work and saving are finally paying off.

Try not to write a tome in your titles. You don't need to put a chapter's worth of information in the headline and subheadline.

PS: Congrats on living like a king. Looks like all those years of hard work and saving are finally paying off.

Paging Dan to the registry phone.

Is that comfortable having just one board support it, what if you roll to the side during the night?

Yuck dude. :lol2:

On a serious note - don't question ANY mold based off of /just/ how it looks. You can get testing supplies at a hardware store for that sort of thing. But shit, I wouldn't take any chances. That's gnarly nasty dude.

Fortunately (if you can say that,) it's not my house -- just renting. It's actually a really nice place and for China, $1400 is pretty expensive. I've put all that shit outside and emailed the landlord. Will sleep on the couch for the next couple days I guess. Man, good thing I didn't bring a potential love interest back here haha

I'm guessing that it's a combination of humidity and Chinese air quality. I've never seen anything like that happen so fast and it wasn't like that when I left. Strangely though, I didn't find any mold on the furniture anywhere else in the house, not even any in the bathroom where you'd expect it to be the most humid. It was covering the entire bottom planks of the bed that faced the ground, and also managed to start on top between the top of the planks and the mattress. This makes me think that it was directly related to those pieces and then started to spread. I checked the underside of a small table near the bed and found nothing but dust.

I'm heading to Tibet/Nepal for a couple weeks pretty soon and I need to make sure this doesn't happen again.

BTW, what was my original title? I didn't think it was excessive. I thought it was informative and put to good use.

This one is currently showing in Off-topic:

Well there goes my second job.

Cops seize 18 TONS of illegal drugs in San Bernadino

BrianWilsonUK,

You are in Shanghai right? Shanghai's air has always been high in humidity especially this time of the year so that would be a contributing factor (air quality isn't really an issue here). Chances are the mattress absorbed enough moisture from you or anyone who slept of it and/or the board underneath had moisture in it to begin with (you had a bottle of water inside the box :icon_mrgreen: ). The mattress trapped in all the moisture and manifested the mold...

Does your air-con have a dehumidifying mode? If so, turn it on and try to put a timer on it so it'll activate itself on a daily basis while you are gone. Or go buy a dehumidifier and keep the thing on until it stops by itself (when it collects enough moisture, it'll stop when the reservoir is full). Keep repeating it until you leave and when you do, make sure the room is sealed as much as possible (window & door all close, obviously). If possible, keep the dehumidify running still and have someone to empty the water for you while you are gone.

I don't know if you have someone to clean your room or not but one of the common mistakes is that what the occupant leaves the room (and turning off the air-con), the cleaners come in and the first thing they do is to "air out" the room by immediately opening all the windows. Bad move --- letting in hot & humid air to a dried & cooled room results in rapid condensation and, well...you know the rest...

You should also go clean your air-con immediately especially its air filters.

BTW, what was my original title? I didn't think it was excessive. I thought it was informative and put to good use.

This one is currently showing in Off-topic:

Well there goes my second job.

Cops seize 18 TONS of illegal drugs in San Bernadino

Mako wrote that one which means it's probably funny and ironic. Yours was much longer and much less funny.

Regarding your place, it's repulsive. Time to step up your game. This isn't SquattersPower.

BrianWilsonUK,

You are in Shanghai right? Shanghai's air has always been high in humidity especially this time of the year so that would be a contributing factor (air quality isn't really an issue here). Chances are the mattress absorbed enough moisture from you or anyone who slept of it and/or the board underneath had moisture in it to begin with (you had a bottle of water inside the box :icon_mrgreen: ). The mattress trapped in all the moisture and manifested the mold...

Does your air-con have a dehumidifying mode? If so, turn it on and try to put a timer on it so it'll activate itself on a daily basis while you are gone. Or go buy a dehumidifier and keep the thing on until it stops by itself (when it collects enough moisture, it'll stop when the reservoir is full). Keep repeating it until you leave and when you do, make sure the room is sealed as much as possible (window & door all close, obviously). If possible, keep the dehumidify running still and have someone to empty the water for you while you are gone.

I don't know if you have someone to clean your room or not but one of the common mistakes is that what the occupant leaves the room (and turning off the air-con), the cleaners come in and the first thing they do is to "air out" the room by immediately opening all the windows. Bad move --- letting in hot & humid air to a dried & cooled room results in rapid condensation and, well...you know the rest...

You should also go clean your air-con immediately especially its air filters.

Well, I'm living in a renovated old house and the window/door seals are anything but that.

Like I said, strangely all that mold on the wooden board was not the part touching the mattress. That was actually the part that was facing the floor. The part that was touching the mattress had far less on it.

And no, the water bottle was not under the bed haha. That was what I had on the bed when I lifting the mattress. There was actually nothing at all under the bed. Who puts stuff under their bed? What am I, 12? haha

Mako wrote that one which means it's probably funny and ironic. Yours was much longer and much less funny.

Regarding your place, it's repulsive. Time to step up your game. This isn't SquattersPower.

Hahaha. If squatters pay what I do, I'm in the wrong business.

Like I said, it's actually pretty nice for the price. $1400/month in a renovated old house with outside space in the French Concession is pretty good. I used to pay nearly $4K/month in a high-rise service apartment. It was nice, but I don't like living in high-rises and I don't need that much space or luxury. I'm also only one person, so this is probably as good as I'm going to find without renting a huge place. I've seen ones I liked more, but hey, when you're renting, you only get to choose from what's available.

4271534996_3fb699377a.jpg

4271536380_6c3ab9ae41.jpg

4271534056_034b09de9f.jpg

4270788551_c3f53ecd1a.jpg

Brian, all bs aside, it looks like something may have spilt under the bed causing the mold.

Nah, all I drink is water and there is no mold on the floor itself. Those boards are about 6 inches off the ground and all they do is support the mattress -- essentially box springs.

It's like the mold only stuck too/grew on both sides of these boards. It's weird. There are lots of places I would have expected mold to be as well, but it's not there. The headboard of the bed is also mold free. I'm thinking maybe it has to do with the composite material or the finish that is more friendly to bacteria.

I think airing your dirty mattress on LP wasn't such a good idea, I would classify it with Wheels's "How do I defrost my fridge?" thread.

Why do you guys feel the need to let the whole world know of what's under your bed?

Well, I'm living in a renovated old house and the window/door seals are anything but that.

The more reason you should get a dehumidifier. The portable ones with a 3 to 5 litre capacity which you can lug it around to different parts of the house. Any department or larger-scale electronic store should have it. And get one that's made by a reputable/well-known brand because those are workhorses and you want one that's reliable and trouble-free.

Christ all mighty!!!! Did you fcuking kill a hooker in that bed?

Just kidding....

(seriously.... You can tell me... I wont tell anybody.... You offed a bimbo and left her to rot in your crib while you hid out with the monks in Tibet or some shit, didnt you??? )

Brian, all bs aside, it looks like something may have spilt under the bed causing the mold.

Yeah.... Like a quart of dead hooker blood....