driving in winter??

rhyno

Hey LP, I'm thinking about maybe getting rid of my V10 R8 for next winter and picking up a Murci of some kind. Does anybody have real world winter driving under there belts with one? I'm in my second winter in my V10 R8 and it is ok, it's pretty rear wheel biased and slides tons so you have to be careful. Please let me know your feedback, if you have to ask if I'm serious then don't ask lol.

Also what is the best rim size and winter tire combo for a Murci?

Speak with Roy. He had some pics up with him driving a Murcie in the winter. I think he had pirelli winter tires on it. I can't imagine it being any better than the R8, if not worse. Do you have winter tires on the R8?

I have used my LP670-4SV in the winter here since I got it in 09.

In Oct I put my P zero Winter tires/rims (OEM) on the car and use them till end of March.

I have driven it over multiple passes in the snow. I even drove it through the Oregon Mountains in the snow down To Arizona as well as through Donner pass from Reno to Sacramento.

Granted I am not driving it a 100MPH o9r anything, but all normal speeds and have had NO ISSUES at all. As a matter of fact, I have driven past many another car stalled or slipping and sliding in the bad weather while I just cruise on and enjoy my car.

Fairplay Roy! I have never garaged a car over winter before. But must admit I've kept the Murcielago off the salted roads for the last two years and used the GT3 instead (on Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 which are ridiculously good btw)

The issue is I've spent enough time underneath the LP640 to be paranoid about all of the nooks and crannys that salt could sit in.

I think Sottozero's are the only tires for it... Im sure in Europe people drive them all year. I think the biggest detriment is the salt and rock chips... if you have 3M and glass insurance tho.. should be ok... its AWD.. albeit not the most sophisticated.. but you also have a heavy engine over the main drive wheels

I do have winter tire's on my R8 and it does make it everywhere I need to go.

Thanks Roy! I knew you would chime in as I think you are the only person I know that has winter tire's for a Murci. It's nice to hear first hand a owners experience and it sounds like your SV does the job you want it to do for winter.

Where I live they spray the roads with a liquid and it keeps the roads from freezing, I don't have to worry about much rock or sand on the roads. If I go to the ski hill then yes they put sand on the roads.

My 2003 was my daily driver for a while, which included a Michigan winter (very cold and snowwy) and it did fine. I also hit a snow storm in the mountains between Vegas and LA the first night I owned it and took it in the mountains of socal snowboarding, the Murci felt like a Subaru.

The little snow light will be on the dash and during heavy snow, the brake wear sensors can be triggered (they shut off once you use the brakes and the ice buildup melts) and it takes a little while for the car to warm up before the transmission shifts smoothly. I took my car through touchless automated car washes that had underbody sprays to clean salt and grime off the bottom of the car.

I was on summer Pzeros for all of this and with AWD they were fine in snow, with 2WD they were useless. For normal driving they were fine, but it was very easy to spin them with the throttle, overall they came in second behind PS2's for summer tires in winter. Get clear bra on the front clip of the car, the rockers, doors and rear bumper if you drive in winter.

375972_10100366263546935_22423830_500397

390006_10100369712734735_22423830_500513

2BBE6D93-047A-440A-A4DA-1F5DE2BB8BF6-998

Oh, and people lose their shit when they see it in winter. I was yelled at and given the finger many times. Police pulled me over one night during a snow storm to ask why I was out in it. :lol2:

We as well only use anti freeze spray here...as does most of the West Coast...I think mainly back east and the Midwest the use a lot of rock salt...here the tree huggers say it goes into the streams and kills the Salmon...yea and the anti freeze spray has no harm at all LOL

But the few times I have seen salt on the snow pass (Nevada for one),I as Whiteout, have just run it under the wash bay underside..NOT TO MENTION that the under coating and such will TAKE years to rust out if your truly leave it all alone...I for one have more important things to think about...Like..ENJOY my ride..just keep it clean and maintained and you will have many many many years and miles of smiles...in Europe EVERYONE drives their cars..ALL their cars..after all, thats what a car is for..to be driven.

Here are two pics, one, (White car) coming down the California Side of Donner pass from Reno, then when it was wrapped Yellow, local snow on the roads by my house in Seattle. This year so far, only had two days of snow, drove my car both days...and yes, Like he says..PEOPLE gop NUTS when they see it LOL

post-23696-1486243043.jpg

post-23696-1486243048_thumb.jpg