Rear Collision Avoidance systems and track driving

cake

Anyone run with a club that has announced a policy on whether they allow cars with the automatic braking at track event DE's? Or - if such cars are allowed, whether the braking system must be disabled for track driving?

Another option might be to clearly label the vehicle (for example use painters tape to create a large "X" on read windshield or bumper), combined with reinforcing at driver meeting that cars with "X" must be followed at minimum safe distance.

One club I run with just released a memo banning any car with rear collision avoidance systems.

Another club is researching it, along with lane departure systems.

I'm not aware of any specific collisions on track resulting from a car braking itself - but I can easily see the potential for problems.

I know know how to win races, big X on my rear windscreen and nobody can pass me :icon_mrgreen:
I like the way you think :icon_thumleft:

My self-driving car does all of my track driving these days. I just sit in the back seat and read the paper.
Wow - another use for a back seat :eusa_naughty:

I agree with any club that disallows the auto braking, it doesn't belong on the track . I don't run with any clubs so i cannot comment if that has become a requirement

I agree with any club that disallows the auto braking, it doesn't belong on the track . I don't run with any clubs so i cannot comment if that has become a requirement

Thank you. I realize this doesn't apply to racing and race cars.

What about requiring the participant to disable the nanny at the start of each session in the presence of the instructor?

I suppose if someone is solo driving a car equipped with the nanny there is no way to effectively manage their compliance with policy.

The concern is that by disallowing ALL cars so equipped, it'll potentially disallow a good percentage of participants.

That didn't take long. Lol
couldnt resist....but the topic is serious and has quickly migrated to several clubs and I assume PCA, BMW, and several other manufacturer clubs and private clubs (and possibly race tracks) will be forced to figure out how to deal with cars that run at DEs.

Here is a page out of the owners manual of a friends VW R32. He doesn't track it (he has a new GT3RS for track) but I could see people showing up

In this type of car.

Notice 3rd bullet which references track driving as a reason to disable the system:

IMG_0228.JPG

Yeah, this is a tough one Carol. My comment about self-driving cars on the track was said in jest certainly, but we have the technology to do just that right now and the auto-brake systems are part of this grand plan.

There is too much risk to allow a mix of cars with and without nanny systems enabled on the race track for track days. My racing days are over, and I only track cars that are not mine and usually at events with minimal cars on the track (new model introductions, etc.)

All proximity and auto-brake controls need to be turned off completely and any violation of that should get the driver punted for the day. No three strikes.

I would not allow any car on the track that does not have the ability to turn these systems off. Too much risk.

It sounds like this is a big concern among those who enjoy taking their car to the track. Unfortunately, what works out on the street in rush hour can be deadly on the race track. I hope you all can figure out the proper approach here. When I was racing competitively you get to know your fellow drivers, their capabilities, and more importantly their behavior on the track. These nanny systems are completely unpredictable and dangerous to other drivers. Proximity and auto-brake do not belong on the track unless it is an event with minimal cars and good distance maintained by the organizers.

Thank you. I realize this doesn't apply to racing and race cars.

What about requiring the participant to disable the nanny at the start of each session in the presence of the instructor?

I suppose if someone is solo driving a car equipped with the nanny there is no way to effectively manage their compliance with policy.

The concern is that by disallowing ALL cars so equipped, it'll potentially disallow a good percentage of participants.

Should be disabled.