Door does not prime & car won't turn over

JanDaMan

First time this happened. Unarmed the car & went to get in for a ride and noticed the door didn't make the usual prime noise when I opened it. Went to start it with the usual correct starting procedure foot on brake, turned key & got the christmas lights, pressed the unarm button then turned to start and no turn over of the engine. It gave a message of Driver Door, so I made sure it was closed and tried again, but no luck. Battery is less than a year old and I keep it on a trickle charger. Tested volts at the battery terminals from the trickle charger cables and that was 12.5. Any ideas? Nice So Cal day for a drive, but now I sit.

Could be the alarm is causing problems, or maybe the starter needs cleaning. Those are the 2 that come to mind.

Since the door didn't chime like usual, I would start by disconnecting the battery kill switch for a few minutes and trying again.

Could be the alarm is causing problems, or maybe the starter needs cleaning. Those are the 2 that come to mind.

Since the door didn't chime like usual, I would start by disconnecting the battery kill switch for a few minutes and trying again.

:iamwithstupid:

Agree on the alarm being the culprit. Disconnect the trickle charger, activate the kill switch (i.e. disconnect the electrical connection). Let it sit for about 10mins, reconnect the kill switch (power on). Turn alarm on; after the alarm chirps, turn off alarm immediately, wait for the alarm to chirp again. Then go through the start-up routine. Sometimes, you might need to do the start-up routine twice before the car turns over. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys, this helped. After doing the kill switch as mentioned above, it did take a couple times till it started. The starting on the Murci is so finicky. I even patted my head and rubbed my tummy before turning the key, just for good measure. What is that "prime" noise when you open the door after disarming the car? I call it "prime" because others call it that, but not sure what it is.

Glad to here it's sorted out!

The nose when you open the door is the E-Gear system priming.

I hope it's sorted out. Car started, but I don't recall hearing the prime noise in lifting the door after I got back in at the beach. But was such a nice ride to Huntington Beach regardless. These cars are such a blast to drive, despite the funky quirks.

The priming is the E-gear motor in your transmission building up pressure to move the clutch.

Thanks, next time I am out I will take notice if it primes each time the door is opened, or whether it just primes once to build pressure the first time you go for a ride.

Thanks, next time I am out I will take notice if it primes each time the door is opened, or whether it just primes once to build pressure the first time you go for a ride.

You should also hear it while you're stopped at stop lights. That's completely normal.

Glad you're got your Beast figured out. Yeah every time you open the (driver) door the egear primes, wait for it to stop priming before you engage your starting ritual lol. NO PRIME when you stop at the light.

I just checked it to be sure, and opened the door and it primed. I think it was pissed because I did not drive it for about 3 weeks due to the flu. Actually I wonder if when I disconnect the trickle charger if that may have done something that the alarm system recognized. I would think not, but maybe next time before a ride I will disconnect via the surge protector/electrical strip off button. But I recall each time I went to start, it indicated "driver door", but I know the door was shut good. So I wonder if when I opened the door to get in and it didn't prime, if somehow the car didn't recognize that I had opened the door (thus no prime noise). Anyway, probably over thinking it, maybe just another fluke with the alarm.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting over the flu to drive again & encountered this non starting business again after a couple weeks of sitting (trickle charger always on to keep the battery fresh). I unarmed the car, opened the door, no prime noise, but tried to start it anyway. Turned the key till Xmas lights went off, pressed the unlock, released it and turned the key to start but no turn over of the engine. Got out, armed and unarmed, and this time opening the door was the prime noise, but then no start. Turned the car off by the engine kill switch, waited 10 min and did the process to start the car again a few times, and it finally started.

This is just frustrating and embarrassing. Glad I am not at a gas station or anywhere else fiddling around for 15 minutes or so trying to start it. Not sure what to check. Only thing I see after starting the car is the dash says driver door, but I am shutting it pretty good. So then i shut it harder and the driver door message goes off. Since sometimes I don't get a prime noise when I unarm and open the door, maybe something isn't recognizing that I am opening the door, and therefore it doesn't start? Any ideas, or is this part of ownership we just learn to live with? I thought my Maserati Biturbo was finicky with electrical & such and finally got rid of that thing, but this starting thing is something else on the Murci.

If its the touchy alarm system, has anyone found a way to just disconnect it permanently?

Door ajar sensor may be your problem. If the car is thinking drivers door is open that will effect the alarm system from arming/disarming, which will effect start ups.

Hope you sort this out quick. The door ajar sensor I believe is in the door latch assembly.

I am thinking about the door sensor too. But rather than the car thinking the door is opened, it's the other way around; car thinks the door is still closed hence no prime noise. If it thinks the door is opened, you wouldn't have able to arm the car's alarm. If it happens again next time, i.e. you open the door and there is no prime. Press the key fob and try arming the car while the door remains opened. If you can re-arm the alarm, then it's the fault of the door sensor.

I can confirm that when I left my engine lid open and tried to arm the car, it got very confused and wouldn't start until I pulled the kill switch. I never have any problems with starting except for that one time I wanted to leave the engine open for spectators while I locked the doors to go eat at a car show.

So if the door is not being registered as closed and you arm it, it could be doine the same thing.

Ha ha, you put it in the tank to rid the nagging ailments?

Better than that. If you take it in the first hours of the flu hitting you, the next day, you'll wake up like nothing ever happened and you'll be able to go enjoy your Lambo instead of being laid up for a week.

I am thinking about the door sensor too. But rather than the car thinking the door is opened, it's the other way around; car thinks the door is still closed hence no prime noise. If it thinks the door is opened, you wouldn't have able to arm the car's alarm. If it happens again next time, i.e. you open the door and there is no prime. Press the key fob and try arming the car while the door remains opened. If you can re-arm the alarm, then it's the fault of the door sensor.

Good point, I said car thinks it's open because Jandaman said he gets the message on the dash sometimes that says door open. When I park mine in the garage I never arm the alarm.

Are you guys arming your cars when parking them in your home garage?

Thanks guys for the input. This is a good test noted above to give a try if I hear no prime when I open the door to then try and arm the car. Even though the dash does read driver door open when it finally starts, maybe that is just something funky with the faulty sensor too. Or, it could be I didn't pay good attention to the actual message, and maybe all it really said is "driver door". I will check all this tomorrow. I see another suggestion is to not arm the car, but whenever I leave the car unarmed about 5 minutes later it chirps several times, so not sure what that means because at that point I usually arm it.

I am starting to believe everyone that these cars don't do well when not driven. A couple months ago my passenger side mirror began having some folding in & out issues, and now after sitting a bit I now needed to nudge my drivers mirror slightly to make them both move out.

Thanks for the viral medicine tip too, but I am with an HMO and usually they don't give meds early on; but if I feel something coming on in the future, it is worth a try in asking. This bug hangs in there, just been over a month for me now which I hear is pretty normal with this bug.

Good point, I said car thinks it's open because Jandaman said he gets the message on the dash sometimes that says door open. When I park mine in the garage I never arm the alarm.

Are you guys arming your cars when parking them in your home garage?

No, never in my garage. It's locked and has motion detectors.

DaMan, I think at this point you should take your Bull to the knowledgeable Lambo tech guy to get to the bottom of the issue you are having, we are rookies man (you know) and we're only guessing after guessing and in the end ended up frustrated. FYI, my doors never lock because my alarm system was all jack up from day one when I got the car. I can not arm/disarm at all therefore I'm always only couple of inches away from my Bull when I'm out lol. Hang in there man,

DaMan, I think at this point you should take your Bull to the knowledgeable Lambo tech guy to get to the bottom of the issue you are having, we are rookies man (you know) and we're only guessing after guessing and in the end ended up frustrated. FYI, my doors never lock because my alarm system was all jack up from day one when I got the car. I can not arm/disarm at all therefore I'm always only couple of inches away from my Bull when I'm out lol. Hang in there man,

So your alarm is completely disabled? If so, how did they do that? That's something a lot of people would like to know.

Can you still lock and unlock the car with the fob?

To me, the alarms are not very helpful. The big crime here in Houston is thieves breaking your window and then diving in through the broken window to grab whatever valuables are in the car. The alarm systems don't detect that, so they never go off. With how common that is, you have to be a moron to leave anything in the passenger compartment, but so many people still do. They won't try to get in the trunk for fear of setting off an alarm and it taking more time and bringing more attention.

Also, it's pretty rare for someone to want to steal a Lambo. Sure, it can happen, but so can being struck by lightning. Those car thieve pros want to steal Escalades and Hondas that can be stripped for parts and the parts sold quickly and easily. Gone in 60 seconds is just a movie, not real life. They don't want to mess around with some flashy car that's going to be remembered and the parts will take years to sell. So the alarm isn't needed for that either.

Vandalism is the thing I worry about with my car. That 1% of the 99%'ers just aren't too happy that you are making it and they aren't, so they want to let you know their displeasure with a silent protest on your car. No factory alarm is going to help with that either. You need to install the custom proximity flame throwers for that. So until I get that installed, I still have to be close to my car even with a working factory alarm.

Yeah, stinkin alarm system. Only thing is it sounds kind of cool locking and unlocking & that's about it. Anyway, went to try the car, disarmed it, opened the door & it didn't prime, so I pressed the lock button of the fob with the door open and the car chimed and doors locked.

A couple questions, (1) can anyone arm/lock their car when the drivers door is open, such as explained above, and (2) can anyone start their car while the drivers door is open?

Yes NSX, I do plan to take it to Newport Lambo, but I like to try and figure what may be wrong first. This kind of crap is most frustrating because as I have always experienced, when you get it to the shop all is fine no matter how many times they try it. I may be wrong but I don't think they can check for any error codes on something like this. But I will eventually get it in.