Tesla...

OC

My colleague just took delivery of his new Tesla 85, he gave me a ride and I was VERY impressed with it...the future is here. I know a lot of guys here own it, and I can totally see why now. He's beyond excited...and it's not like he was driving a POS before...he had a C63, so decent ride. The TSLA is just such a great car.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm well over a year with the Model S and 20k miles, there is no DD car I would replace it with.... my other DD type cars feel ancient compared to the Tesla... the Model X can't arrive soon enough so I can dump our Range Rover for it...

My colleague just took delivery of his new Tesla 85, he gave me a ride and I was VERY impressed with it...the future is here. I know a lot of guys here own it, and I can totally see why now. He's beyond excited...and it's not like he was driving a POS before...he had a C63, so decent ride. The TSLA is just such a great car.

I figured after the rave reviews this car got that I would love it. Infotainment and touch screen response/functionality was great, but ergonomics were a nightmare IMO. I couldn't make it my DD if I tried.

Looks great though and it's very fast.

ergonomics of the interface/screen? compared to, buttons and scroll wheels, pads?

It takes some getting used to and customizing to your preferences, but I'll run circles around someone doing the same functions on another car, MB, BMW, Lexus....

I figured after the rave reviews this car got that I would love it. Infotainment and touch screen response/functionality was great, but ergonomics were a nightmare IMO. I couldn't make it my DD if I tried.

Looks great though and it's very fast.

I dunno.. Ive been in 2. The outside reminds me of a KIA, and the interior appart from the dash looks like one as well. Do not want... It drove ok, and was fast.

I dunno.. Ive been in 2. The outside reminds me of a KIA, and the interior appart from the dash looks like one as well. Do not want... It drove ok, and was fast.

Drove one few weeks ago and they are quick! But no road presence. Think Kia every time I see it.

ergonomics of the interface/screen? compared to, buttons and scroll wheels, pads?

It takes some getting used to and customizing to your preferences, but I'll run circles around someone doing the same functions on another car, MB, BMW, Lexus....

Nono, I am not talking about HMI, that was excellent. I am talking interior ergonomics.

-No bottom seat cushion adjuster. You'd think a 100K car would have that

-I found the lumbar support to protrude out too far even when adjusted all the way in

-I found the seats to be very uncomfortable overall (lumpy middle seat cushion, flat by the knees)

-Car had a shit load of A pillar wind noise

-Arm rest was too high and wasn't adjustable

-Visibility was so-so

And some other things I can't remember.

Of course I loved the infotainment system and its ease of use.

To those who've driven one, is the touchscreen a "safety" issue? In my DD Rover I know where all the controls are and operate them all by touch, without having to take my eyes off the road. Seems like operating a giant Ipad while driving would be somewhat sketchy.

gotcha, interior is pretty simple, they should have just grabbed some seats from MB as they did with some of the switchgear...

things I would like are surround cams for parking and blind spot monitoring... I really like those features in my 650i...

Nono, I am not talking about HMI, that was excellent. I am talking interior ergonomics.

-No bottom seat cushion adjuster. You'd think a 100K car would have that

-I found the lumbar support to protrude out too far even when adjusted all the way in

-I found the seats to be very uncomfortable overall (lumpy middle seat cushion, flat by the knees)

-Car had a shit load of A pillar wind noise

-Arm rest was too high and wasn't adjustable

-Visibility was so-so

And some other things I can't remember.

Of course I loved the infotainment system and its ease of use.

a lot of functions can be custom programmed to the steering wheel scroll wheels and buttons, you can also customize the center digital gauge display with items so you don't have to look over at the large display for navigation, music, etc...

the big display could be an issue if your checking your gmail on it while driving...

To those who've driven one, is the touchscreen a "safety" issue? In my DD Rover I know where all the controls are and operate them all by touch, without having to take my eyes off the road. Seems like operating a giant Ipad while driving would be somewhat sketchy.

Got about 10k miles in mine now, not much to complain about so far!

The funniest part about owning a Tesla is how so many people suddenly become experts in battery production and CO2 emissions. And how some people inherently hate it because it's electric. Like it's threatening to them... :eusa_think:

Those of you missing buttons etc in the interior should look into this thing:

old_nokia1.jpg

I kinda prefer this new tech:

222.png

:icon_mrgreen:

I have two of them and love them. True, the seat leaves something to be desired, but for a DD my wife and I love them. Every day I wake up to 260 miles of fuel, never go to gas stations and love the low maintenance. No oil changes....ever. The Model X is going to be Hot! Over 10k pre sold. The Model E will be a huge disruptive technology that will challenge every car manufacture. Stock should go over $300.

:iamwithstupid:

I was very unimpressed.

and the common everyday boring MB's and BMW's are impressive?

:iamwithstupid:

I was very unimpressed.

It's disruptive, people are scared, classic. I was not impressed with the exterior finish (body gaps a tad too large to my liking, rear bumper was not 100% well aligned), the interior was fine, infotainment was great, but the whole drivetrain and handling was enough to win me over. Just a great car. I would totally DD that...even though it's still way out of my tax bracket for now. :)

and the common everyday boring MB's and BMW's are impressive?

I don't find an E63 boring at all, and its performance is pretty damned impressive IMO. Nor is it common (although there are other E variants out running around). The only significant negative I can find is depreciation.

I kinda prefer this new tech:

Well sure, but the point is that you can't use that fancy hardware without first taking your eyes away from whatever else you are doing. The steering wheel programming is pretty slick and could be a good solution.

performance is great for sure, my friend has one, awesome to finally have AWD and all that power, but it does look like any other E out there, boring to me, been there, done that....

I don't find an E63 boring at all, and its performance is pretty damned impressive IMO. Nor is it common (although there are other E variants out running around). The only significant negative I can find is depreciation.

performance is great for sure, my friend has one, awesome to finally have AWD and all that power, but it does look like any other E out there, boring to me, been there, done that....

I agree with you...although I've seen the same black E63 Wagon running around my neighbourhood recently and that, my friend, is an awesome DD. :icon_mrgreen:

It does look much like any other E, but any of the new E's look better than the Tesla IMHO. I get that the Tesla is rarer, and it's certainly not a bad looking car (although the interior is sub-par IMO for a car in that price range), but ultimately I'd take less exclusivity with better looks if everything else were equal (which it rarely is).