"People buy Lamborghinis because they can’t get their hands on a Ferrari"

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sergio Marchionne is wrong, but so is Sinatra. :icon_mrgreen:

Bite your tongue.

The fact is you buy a F or L when you're a douchebag who has made more money than a douche that bought a BMW m or Merc AmG. Same goes for the next level when you get a Bugatti or Pagani or ksegg.

*Except for the enthusiasts like many of the people here.

Bite your tongue.

The fact is you buy a F or L when you're a douchebag who has made more money than a douche that bought a BMW m or Merc AmG. Same goes for the next level when you get a Bugatti or Pagani or ksegg.

Well, my Sinatra rebuff can be interpreted different ways.

In reality I see Ferrari/Lamborghini as much the same car, yet 80% of FC and 80% of LP see it as some silly rivalry very much like the quote states. To say that one marque implies a superior status as a human being is as asinine as they come. The F/L as a poster for insecurity I've seen in both, big time. The L for the very young crowd typically, and the F for the older elitist. (not all people who fit this description, so don't get testy with me! :lol2: )

And yes, I agree.....you buy the F/L when you've moved past the rest, unless you're a cool cat who just loves them for enthusiast reasons.

The ultimate test:

Could you be happy owning an F/L without ANYONE EVER KNOWING?? :icon_thumleft: :icon_mrgreen:

The dark reality is that there exists a bit of that show off in I'd say 100% of owners/enthusiasts......but, if that's all there's to it, or the overriding factor, then you're a poseur douche.

Could you be happy owning an F/L without ANYONE EVER KNOWING?? :icon_thumleft: :icon_mrgreen:

The dark reality is that there exists a bit of that show off in I'd say 100% of owners/enthusiasts......but, if that's all there's to it, or the overriding factor, then you're a poseur douche.

Yes I would be happy owning L with people not knowing.. Other then fellow L enthusiast

The ultimate test:

If I owned a supercar Id prefer 1) no one knew 2) No one would be on the road to see me in it so I could do whatever I wanted :P

Sergio Marchionne must live a bubble all by himself. I never had any desire to own a Ferrari. No problem with the marque, I just have better shit to do and life is short.

Bite your tongue.

:iamwithstupid:

Ferrari makes good cars, but it's the people of the brand that say that crap which makes them extra douchey.

That guy is a super douche. Douche CEO . HDIC - head douche in charge

Some people may buy into the brand for that belief, but I'm sure others buy them because they enjoy how they drive.

I bought the gallardo 7 years ago bc my brother's f360 wasn't so reliable. And, I don't want to a copy cat :)

My bro got a 458 now. It is flawless. He picked up a California for the back seats. California's cluster failed and his cpo didn't cover it. I maybe some Ferrari have reliability of crappy BMWs. Drives great but it falls apart.

I bought a Ferrari and it was a POS, I can buy a Ferrari anytime I want and whichever Ferrari I want it's just a matter of sometimes paying more depending on the model the thing is that I don't want to, they are too soft, kind of like wearing a pink sweater, yes it keeps you warm but most of the guys will make fun of you LOL.

I don;t think his comment is that controversial. It seems absolutely true. How many times have you heard "I went into the Ferrari store to buy [insert newly-released high performance v8 car] and they told me I had to wait 2.5 years unless I bought a Ghibli for my wife and took down a FF". I have certainly heard that narrative a bunch - it is off putting and a reson that people often turn to another band of sports car.

The ultimate test:

Very few people I know (outside of the car community) are actually aware that I have a Lambo and I like it that way. I love my car to death but imo it's really hard to share it without coming off as bragging.

More on topic - I can't imagine many enthusiasts really cross shop Lambos and Ferraris. I have never once thought about owning a Ferrari. It's cool that the F owners love their cars and I don't think less of anyone for owning one, I'm just not interested in them.

In reality I see Ferrari/Lamborghini as much the same car, yet 80% of FC and 80% of LP see it as some silly rivalry very much like the quote states. To say that one marque implies a superior status as a human being is as asinine as they come. The F/L as a poster for insecurity I've seen in both, big time. The L for the very young crowd typically, and the F for the older elitist. (not all people who fit this description, so don't get testy with me! :lol2: )

And yes, I agree.....you buy the F/L when you've moved past the rest, unless you're a cool cat who just loves them for enthusiast reasons.

The ultimate test:

Fellippe I feel like you don't get the full meaning of Sinatra's quote, IMO he isn't talking about superiority the way you view it, he's talking about the fact that Ferrari is the brand which will "open doors" for you and most are buying it as a tool and for acceptance or being allowed to be part of the exclusive club (insecurities) if you think about it when you need such tool your money are better spent/invested in that brand on the other hand when you are comfortable in your own skin and with your achievements you don't need to relay on the tool anymore and you are buying the car because of your love and passion you have for it and the brand and not some other ulterior motives. Or simply you are buying it because you don't want to follow the pack, either way it spells a level of comfort you've achieved, I personally think that's what he means.

Of course the are exceptions to the rule but just think about it for a second, it is fact that majority of non car people and even the great majority of car people Lamborghini is viewed as the lesser brand if you were a poseur why would you want the lesser of something? You wouldn't.

You can not deny the rivalry between these two brands, Lamborghini's foundations were built on its rivalry with Ferrari, this is entrenched in the history of both brands, yes things changed but majority feel like these brands are stil rival the same way you feel rivalry between sporting teams, various other brands etc. IMO it is nothing wrong with it and rather healthy.

And lastly, I personally know people on this board who own multiple Lambos and nobody knows, I have friends who own Lambos and other exotics and nobody knows, I personally owned a Lamborghini and the board didn't know except a few very close friends, the thing is the silent majority is always silent the few loud ones create the image which is being generalized and that goes for every brand out there, having said all of the above of course there are exceptions to every rule.

Ferrari just celebrated it's 70th birthday yesterday.

The car they dropped to celebrate their 40th birthday, IMO has yet to find a peer from S. Bolognese for that raw visceral street driving experience. Same goes for its successor. If people are buying Diablos over Ms and As for similar reasons, then an F40 or F50 are even better still (and handle/brake better too, little bit faster). Diablo only looks better.

Market values don't disagree.

No hypercars of the 918/P1/LaF ilk. So if you want to talk about extreme performance, you can't bring Lamborghini into the picture. Would you spend a million for an SV/purchase one over those other 3 at $500k?

No RWD since 2000 except for the Balboni, 550, and 580. 3 cars, none of them V12s. This is a problem to some of us.

Now, these are some of the reasons why I feel Ferrari is better than Lamborghini. For some of us, RWD is "best" and will probably never have the elite Scandinavian Flick talents to replicate that rotational ability with AWD.

On the flipside, there are a few reasons why Lamborghini is better than Ferrari:

- they offer a mid engine v12 that isn't always a hypercar (20 years strong now Ferrari cannot say the same)

- their styling is more aggressive (if that's what you want)

- easier to purchase, more down to earth buying experience

Both great marques....a waste of time IMO to debate "better". How any super enthusiast could not want both is beyond me.

Fellippe which brand would you buy today if you had to chose one exotic only and and what would be your determining factors ?

Yes I would be happy owning L with people not knowing.. Other then fellow L enthusiast

If I owned a supercar Id prefer 1) no one knew 2) No one would be on the road to see me in it so I could do whatever I wanted :P

Very few people I know (outside of the car community) are actually aware that I have a Lambo and I like it that way. I love my car to death but imo it's really hard to share it without coming off as bragging.

More on topic - I can't imagine many enthusiasts really cross shop Lambos and Ferraris. I have never once thought about owning a Ferrari. It's cool that the F owners love their cars and I don't think less of anyone for owning one, I'm just not interested in them.

Of course, I knew many on here would be like this. :icon_thumleft: :icon_super:

Luxeous, you can certainly cross shop Lambos and Ferraris. I play a nice Ferrari foil on this site, but I give hardcore Ferrari guys the same. I genuinely like them about equally, maybe Ferrari a little bit more. But not night and day difference.

Small cross section I'm sure.

I've started to become more brand ambivalent lately as the American, German, and Japanese manufacturers have upped their game in recent years.

There's one old 70+ dude on FC who owns everything (AV, H, 458, C7, Z28, R8, Viper, Hellcat) and I'd go out on a limb that's a kindred spirit there. Some of the comments he makes about which cars he finds more fun would blow people away.

No one car out there can do it all perfectly. Variety is needed.

Fellippe which brand would you buy today if you had to chose one exotic only and and what would be your determining factors ?

Fortis, I learned a long time ago that driving the cars answers all the questions in a very direct way. A quick drive in the older Ford GT wowed me a lot more than a 430 or G at the time which I don't think I could have predicted before hand. So there is a disclaimer that I reserve the right to change my mind given further information (driving experience).....but I will still play the game. :icon_mrgreen:

As I've stated before the RWD is a big thing for me, so dynamically that's probably enough to go Ferrari over Lamborghini. The 580 Huracan is a wildcard going up against the 458 (not 488, because I'm still a bit of an N/A holdout)....I think both cars look really good, maybe the Huracan a little nicer. The flat plane V8 to me sounds harmonically nicer than a V10 (even I-4 vs. odd order I-5), so on that alone I like the F a little more.

Aventador vs. F12 is a more polarizing comparison, and it's been this way the last 20 years comparing the big V12s. A wild beast versus a gentleman's machine.

The Aventador SV's looks are very exciting, while the F12 TdF and 812 motor is insane. Tough call. I had similar internal conflict with the 670SV and the 599 GTO for exactly the same reasons.

Standard AV vs. F12, I like the F12 more. On the more hardcore end, maybe the AV.

Is it ok that I don't know? :lol2: