Diablo GT #34/80 in orange for sale in Texas

Robster Craws

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No VIN and no mention in the listing if the car has valid US registration. Perhaps a great opportunity for someone in the US who has to have one. Not for me at that price.

I dont get involved with other Dealers cars, not my place. However this one is differnt. When I reached out to Karl, one of the owners of Crave (I have never met him or know him) to give him some inside info I had on the car..he basically told me to F**K off and not say anything negative about the car. He said he knew I was marketing the car for Ron Wilson (the former owner) for about the last 3-4 weeks. He said they bought it and to bad I didnt get it so leave the car out of the "Boards and Blogs.

SO this is what I KNOW of the car. Yes, about 5-6 years ago we had it listed on our site for Ron as he wished to sell it. It was removed after I was advised by US/DOT that it was a GREY MARKET car and should NOT be sold to a USA customer as it ran the risk of siezure. They said they were NOT coming after the car, unless a complaint was filed. We removed the listing and advised the owner the reason we could not sell the car.

Jump forward to last month. Owner contacted me and wanted the car sold and gone. I advised him I WOULD not sell it, but I would ask around to some collectors. If anyone was intrested I would put them in contact together. I would advise possible buyers of the cars history. I advised him it would be best to sell it out of the country.

Some here may recall the Yellow low mile GT that R/M was going to auction 2 years ago in Monterrey. A few weeks prior to the auction they pulled it, as they also discovered that GT was a grey market car as well, it then sold out of the country to Switzerland.

I put two board members here in touch with Ron. They were BOTH advised multiple times by me that the car was a GREY market car and that it could be siezed at anytime. I also advised of the legal issue and insurance issues. Which very simply put is if you have a major accident that cause injury or death, you could be charged with a vehicluar assault crime. The reason is that you have knowledge the car is a grey market car, should not be in the USA and you still operated it on the streets...knowingly committing a crime..not to mention if it was major enough and your insurance company learned of the vehicle status they would not pay out on your claim.

Then the service and state of the car, as of a few weeks ago. It needs new tires, the windshield was/is being replaced due to damage. The front and side Carbon Fiber skirts are cracked. The passanger side rear exhaust manifold has been replaced, but it again is out of order and again needs replacing. This is becuase you cant get a 6.0ltr GT Euro exhaust manifold, ONLY a standard 6.0ltr exhaust manifold, it fits but is not engineered the same as the GT cars that came from the factory with no CATS and NO mufflers. I dont know what the long term fix for this would be.

This car, along with 12 other 1999/2000 Diable GT cars were imported by the now defunct Lamborghini Orange County/Vic Killeain. They were delivered to a warehouse in Las Vegas. In the warehouse they had new VIn plates added that showed the cars to be a 2001 Lamborghini DIablo 6.0. He then was able to obtain titles for them in the State of California and start selling them. Hde sold 7 of the 12 prior to DOT catching on and siezing the rest of them. They were SENT out fo the country, to where I do not know.

The others, that were sold, inculding the one I have, were advised to NOT re-sell the cars to any US owners. That if they were to be sold, they would have to go out of the country. Further advised that to apply for "Show and Display" status and that would be granted to DEALERS LICENSED for their own collections. At that time 1 other was sold out of the USA leaving 6. Then the last Yellow one to go, now 5. There is this one, a Silver one on the East Coast, a Orange one with Richard Berry in Colorado, a Yellow one with the ROn Tonkin Collection in Portland, OR. (He has recently passed away, so I see this car selling out of the USA in the near future), and of course mine, car #74.

I dont know the leagal status of the Silver one. I do know that Richards, Tonkins and mine are correctly licensed and titled and insured under the "Show and Display" status. Keep in mind however that still DOES NOT allow us to sell it in the USA...it either remains in our hands/collection as a Dealer or if sold is sold to a source outside of the USA.

The car we are speaking of here, DOES have a California State Title for OWNERSHIP only. It has NEVER be plated or registered in ANY state since new. It ONLY carrys a "Title for ownership purpose only" status. It for sure COULD never be plated or registered in California as it is NOT 50 state EPA compliant and does not carry the required emmissions decal/stamp on it from the Manufacture. THis is required in California and most other states.

I can only assume the two possible buyers I put in touch with Ron did not move forward for one reason or another. I was called this last Monday by Ron and offered the car at $200K as he just wanted out of it ASAP. I turned down his offer as I did not want the legal and or insurance issues associated with the car. I told him he should advertise it for sale out of the country and it most likely would sell to Japan or Europe. I guess Karl at CRAVE purchased it.

Wow.

Thanks for the disclosure.

I had been looking for this car for some time - sat in it in a local shop years ago when it was getting work done on the exhaust.

Certainly not interested at 400 but might have been at 200.

I don't need that kind of headaches. Whew.

A little more...I am sure some of you are asking why the Diablo GT (total of 80 built from 99 to early 2000) are not DOTA/EPA approved. There is still one at the factory and one was crashed were the new owner and the Factory Sales rep died in the crash within a day of taking possesion of it in Spain..so only 78 made it out to market. NONE of them were homogolized cars. They were a last build ONLY for the Euro market that Audi let get built at the time of transision to keep the factory going as it was switching to the 2001 Diablo 6.0 that was re-desgined as a Homogolated car. This is why there is NO 2000 MY car from Lamborghini for USA or Canada.

Non compliant things are:

no 5mph front or rear safety bumper

no side marker lights and rear lights of correct size and color

headlights have wrong lens configuration and lighting pattern

front fog lights activate with high beams on (not allowed in USA-due to wattage and to bright for blindness)

in-correct seat belts, not a 3 point, they are a 4 point racing belt

in-correct seats and ancor points

no air bags

no mufflers

no CATS

No side door impact bars (only straight CF shells)

No interior rear view mirrior, cant see out the back due to the motor.

(color rear view camera as well as back up warning sensors was an option for the car-mine has both)

Gas tank filler not approved

Gas tank not approved for impact ratings

There are a lot of other little things...but these were the major things as I recall them

I saw on the news a few minutes ago Crave Luxury got thrown under a Lamborghini Bus and Roy was driving. Roy, you are so bad! haha but I cant help but like you.

:jester: LMAO

I also want to make it clear that I am NOT thrashing this car. I attempted to contact the seller and privately advise of all this so that they could make the correct dis-clouser of the car..this is not a standard "buyer beware" car for sale. I felt it was my duty to the Lambo community to make the notice of this car. I would not want to see someoen purchase it and have an major issue down the road.

The car is still very very sell-able...IMO it needs to be sold out of the country..were the last wo went. The last yellow one sold for $265K to Switzerland. I think they are worth more then that IMO. But a very very narrow market/buyer for this car.

It can also be sold in the USA..but buyer should know what he is getting. Most likely someone that just adds it to their collection, or buys it strictly for track use and not open road use. It is a dangerous situation if sold in USA. I was advised by DOT, my State Dealers rep as well as my Attorney that it was a very very likely scenerio that I could be sued and charged if we sold the car and a issue arrised with the new owner as far as an accident or the like. Just not worth the risks for me.

They are a great car...and I love mine..I am limited to the miles I am allowed to operate it under the SHow and Display status..and I have to pay a pretty hefty yearly insurance rate on it, but its worth it to me. I am sure once I leave this earth it will be sold by my son...out of the country of course. As, I forgot to mention, the Show and Display status goes away when the person awarded it passes.

A shame we have these kinds of rules, as this is a fantastic piece of machine to operate and enjoy.

sounds exactly like the same issues the skyline owners face with the R33/R34 cars.

Would this car be cleared in 25 years exempt rules when it reaches that age?

it should never have been sold in a dealer, this is the kind of car that should change owners on a personal transaction to keep away from public eyes....

sounds exactly like the same issues the skyline owners face with the R33/R34 cars.

Would this car be cleared in 25 years exempt rules when it reaches that age?

it should never have been sold in a dealer, this is the kind of car that should change owners on a personal transaction to keep away from public eyes....

Yes, at 25 years, based on the VIN plate date production it would be exempt. HOWEVER I was advised that it would have to be imported into the USA AFTER the 25 year date...it can not just be tucked away in a warehouse here in the USA and then brought out after 25 years..is still needs to have the proper import papers shpowing its entry into the USA after that date.

You are also correct that this should have just flown under the radar and traded quietly to another collector AS LONG as they were made aware of it status and the risks...a private to private sale...

I'll add to this one only because I'm VERY familiar with the paperwork load that comes with these cars, including Roy's and Tonkin's yellow one. It's almost funny to some extent that people throw around "Show and Display" like it's some easy thing to get. Fill out some papers, pay some money, and boom, it gets issued to you. Umm yeah, not true. I know for a fact Tonkin's yellow car sat in Canada waiting to be brought in, specifically for his collection mind you, and it sat in customs for YEARS...not months, YEARS before an agreement could be made between Ron and DOT. That agreement pretty much stated that Ron would never sell the vehicle to anyone, under any circumstances, for any reason, on US soil. It went further to state that even under the show and display guise, if the car were to be sold to an owner in the US, it would be seized and crushed. Not seized and sold on your behalf out of the country...seized and CRUSHED. I've held this document in my hands and read it years ago when I was calling Tonkin weekly to try and buy his yellow car for Roy....in fact at one point, we actually had a deal put together which got voided as quickly as it was agreed to, once this agreement was pulled from the file.

The mountain of paperwork and virtual acrobatics you have to go through to possess one of these cars is amazing. Most people won't spend the time or the money just for the sake of ownership. Add to that the mechanical aspects that need addressing and it could be a quick way to lose 400k plus. Benny's old yellow one that went to Switzerland was also here on show and display...the people that have these cars in their possession are legitimate collectors, all of whom climbed the mountain of paperwork to add it to their collection.

Is it possible to buy (one already in the USA or import) a Diablo GT/GTR and have it listed/registered in the USA as a race/track car? I am not asking this as a means to get around anything for 'street' use. I am asking from the point of view of owning the car to be able to enjoy it on a track with absolutely no use on the street ... just like having any other race car you can only drive on the track.

Is it possible to buy (one already in the USA or import) a Diablo GT/GTR and have it listed/registered in the USA as a race/track car? I am not asking this as a means to get around anything for 'street' use. I am asking from the point of view of owning the car to be able to enjoy it on a track with absolutely no use on the street ... just like having any other race car you can only drive on the track.

I do not know the answer to that.... Maybe someone else does.