Codes and 1-6 cylinder bank dropped..then back

Shamile

Lamborghinisti,

Well, I had a not so fun afternoon driving home from work.

I got codes!

P 0300 Generic Misfire (from 1st to 3rd strategy)

P 1301 Generic Misfire (on 1/6 1st strategy)

P 1403 Catalyst Temp Sensor with low signal less than 200 deg C ( cyl 1-6)

It looks like I dropped bank 1-6

OK, I washed the car last night but really didn't have the time to drive it and blew the water off with my blower. This morning , it started fine, ran fine then dropped the 1-6 bank for a few seconds then came back just fine. The car sat at work all day ( no rain ) and going home, it started fine, and then while driving ( up to temps ) it dropped the bank. It came back but a muted or " off pitch" sound but power and revs were up. I stopped at my dad's (dinner nite ) and starting up after to go home everything was just fine....full power and proper pitch.

Obviously we have a problem....but I don't know really where to start. I pulled the codes with my OBD II scanner and deciphered them with the help of lamboweb.com

Shamile

Lamborghinisti,

Well, I had a not so fun afternoon driving home from work.

I got codes!

P 0300 Generic Misfire (from 1st to 3rd strategy)

P 1301 Generic Misfire (on 1/6 1st strategy)

P 1403 Catalyst Temp Sensor with low signal less than 200 deg C ( cyl 1-6)

It looks like I dropped bank 1-6

OK, I washed the car last night but really didn't have the time to drive it and blew the water off with my blower. This morning , it started fine, ran fine then dropped the 1-6 bank for a few seconds then came back just fine. The car sat at work all day ( no rain ) and going home, it started fine, and then while driving ( up to temps ) it dropped the bank. It came back but a muted or " off pitch" sound but power and revs were up. I stopped at my dad's (dinner nite ) and starting up after to go home everything was just fine....full power and proper pitch.

Obviously we have a problem....but I don't know really where to start. I pulled the codes with my OBD II scanner and deciphered them with the help of lamboweb.com

Shamile

You will get a bunch of misfire codes if the coils get wet. The best is to drive the car and let all the water evaporate if it runs well. If not, I would take the coils off and try to get any sitting water by the plugs out. Sounds like the car is running well and hopefully the problem is solved.

Reset the codes and hopefully everything will be fine.

Good luck!

Phil

Lamborghinisti,

Thanks Phil.

I pulled the carbon fiber panels off the 1-6 side and pulled all plug boots and electrical contacts and reseated them. I then sprayed the outside with a little silicone spray.

I wiped everything down and started the car. I ran it up to temps for about 15 minutes in the garage. Just before I thought I got it...it dropped the bank again. This time, I noticed the fuel injectors on the 1-6 side weren't clicking. I could feel them with my fingers but to be sure, I put my mechanics stethoscope on them. The 7-12 side were all clicking loudly in my head. All the 1-6 side were not clicking at all.

I then got the codes...

P 03131 Lambda sensor locked on weak ( sensor 1 les than 0.4V (1/6)

P 0341 Cam RPM Sensor ( discontinuous signal )

Then all of a sudden the bank comes back and all fuel injectors are clicking loudly verified with my stethoscope.

Any idea what would make the injectors on the 1/6 side shut off?

Oh....no misfire codes the entire run....bank drop....run test cycle.

Shamile

Lamborghinisti,

Hey Raymond,

The fuel filters are brand new installed about a month ago. I was just wondering if there was a specific sensor that without a signal would shut off all injectors on a specific bank.

Haha....I've NEVER had any of these issues until I did a "lazy" wash without completely wiping the car down....just blowing it off.

I was going through your old bank out thread and noticed Jefflambo talked about the cam sensors on the left engine bank. I'll pull the white plugs and clean them out. Perhaps without a signal from each one might shut off the corresponding bank...I donno...just thinking aloud.

I did pull a code stating the cam signal was discontinuous.

Shamile

Lamborghinisti,

Thanks Phil.

I pulled the carbon fiber panels off the 1-6 side and pulled all plug boots and electrical contacts and reseated them. I then sprayed the outside with a little silicone spray.

I wiped everything down and started the car. I ran it up to temps for about 15 minutes in the garage. Just before I thought I got it...it dropped the bank again. This time, I noticed the fuel injectors on the 1-6 side weren't clicking. I could feel them with my fingers but to be sure, I put my mechanics stethoscope on them. The 7-12 side were all clicking loudly in my head. All the 1-6 side were not clicking at all.

I then got the codes...

P 03131 Lambda sensor locked on weak ( sensor 1 les than 0.4V (1/6)

P 0341 Cam RPM Sensor ( discontinuous signal )

Then all of a sudden the bank comes back and all fuel injectors are clicking loudly verified with my stethoscope.

Any idea what would make the injectors on the 1/6 side shut off?

Oh....no misfire codes the entire run....bank drop....run test cycle.

Shamile

Really hard to tell what is going on, but the fact that it is intermittent, still suggests there is water somewhere. Somewhere there is a contact with an unreliable connection.

Keep us informed.

Regards,

Phil

Lamborghinisti,

Really hard to tell what is going on, but the fact that it is intermittent, still suggests there is water somewhere. Somewhere there is a contact with an unreliable connection.

Keep us informed.

Regards,

Phil

Phil, do you know what sensor when not receiving a signal would shut off the injectors to the corresponding bank?

Shamile

Lamborghinisti,

I cleaned out the cam sensor plugs and both were reading the same Ohms. I plugged them back in fired up the engine and all was good.....for awhile.

At least the problem is consistant and repeatable. It fires up warms up to temps then about 10 minutes drops the 1-6 bank with the fuel injectors not working.

I can turn the engine off and back on and the bank is still dropped. Running with the half bank for another 4 minutes or so, the bank come back and the engine runs fine. I ran it for another 10 minutes at all rpm and it didn't drop the bank again.

I still get the P 0341 Cam RPM Sensor ( discontinuous signal ) code.

I'm going to pull the sensors at the engine and check them out....then take the little cover off the box where they go into.

Any advice would sure be appreciated. lol

Shamile

I wish I could help, all I can think about is that freakin computer if you haven't found it by now. George got my car running, but it has a perpetual CEL and is not showing a code. I guess it's black tape time.

Lamborghinisti,

Hey Jeff,

I would really appreciate your expertise on this

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...p;&do=findComment&comment=1054220

Thanks

Shamile

Hi Shamile

If one of the came sensors is not working it will drop injectors for the bank it is for. You tested the sensors for ohms which is a good start. It is poss that as it gets hot and every thing expands it drops out. I would swap the cam sensors side to side and see if the other bank drops out when it gets hot. If so sounds like a bad cam sensor. You did say that you are getting a code for the cam sensor. Is it a hard code that comes back up right away or comes on when it drops the one bank? If the same bank drops out swap the LIE plugs and test again. If still the same bank drops out might be time to test the wires for the cam sensor to the LIE for the bank that drops out this would be best done hot when the malfunction is acquiring.

It dose not sound like it would be a timing issue as it has not been changes but if you wanted to check it there is a small drill mark in the flywheel at 30 deg. before TDC the cam position arm should line up with the sensor for bank 1. Like I said don't think that is a issue as it should affect both banks the same.

I would start by swapping the cam sensors and get the car hot and see if the other bank drops out if it dose yaaa replace the bad sensor.

If you need a more info give me a call.

Thanks

Jeff Wilkinson

Hey Jeff,

I just came back on line and saw your pmail. This is exactly what I did! I didn't know if the sensor would shut off the fuel injectors but I thought I would give it a try. I pulled the sensors and swapped the plugs and the positions in the housing. I'm not an expert to know if positioning would have any effect.

Well, I pulled it, swapped it over and the drop went to the other side ( 7-12) with the same code.....while the initial dropped bank (1-6) kept running.

Your information confirms where I was going and I want to say thanks for your help.

Shamile

This was an exchange between jefflambo and I. I just came back in from the garage and wanted to post my findings. I have a bunch of pix but I have to get them off my smartphone and I'll post them up.

BIG THANKS TO JEFFLAMBO!

Shamile

Lamborghinisti,

I wish I could help, all I can think about is that freakin computer if you haven't found it by now. George got my car running, but it has a perpetual CEL and is not showing a code. I guess it's black tape time.

Thank Reymond :)

What did George do with the computer to get it working? Was it just a mechanical break...like a solder joint?

If you do tape them up....do pull codes once in awhile to see if everything is running right. Without the codes, I wouldn't have been able to chart a direction on my problem.

Shamile

Oh I wish it was a simple solder joint, and maybe it is, but he replaced the whole thing. He said there are three computers used in MY 97-98. $3K, $5, and $7.5 K. First one he got was the cheaper one, but found I needed the $5K unit, and I guess it threw off the other side which is the CEL side. He said he could install a switch under the dash to turn it on and off, but I'm not crazy about that, even though I know that light is going to drive me crazy.

I am going to open that defective computer up and post pictures when I get it back.

Hope yours doesn't lead to this.

Lamborghinisti,

Oh I wish it was a simple solder joint, and maybe it is, but he replaced the whole thing. He said there are three computers used in MY 97-98. $3K, $5, and $7.5 K. First one he got was the cheaper one, but found I needed the $5K unit, and I guess it threw off the other side which is the CEL side. He said he could install a switch under the dash to turn it on and off, but I'm not crazy about that, even though I know that light is going to drive me crazy.

I am going to open that defective computer up and post pictures when I get it back.

Hope yours doesn't lead to this.

Hey Reymond,

Your $ 3K computer is the GFA. That's the one I just replaced. The other 2 are the ignition computers.

Jefflambo confirmed where I was going. With the swap of of the phase sensors, I was able to make the other bank drop and create a code. I've ordered a new one and we'll see what happens when I get it. With Jeff's information, I think that's what it is. I think it's coincidental with the car washing. The misfire codes were due to that but the dropped bank just happened to well....happen lol

Shamile

• 4 weeks later...