Test-drove a Bentley GTC Super Sport

VCR

Very nice car but...

Exterior: It is, without a doubt, a Bentley Continental. But to be honest and with due respect to all the owners here, I never really liked the styling of the car. IMO, it has too strong of the VAG DNA: to exaggerate a bit, the shape reminds me of an overgrown Audi TT! The 2nd thing I dislike is the lack of distinct identity from the rest of the CGT/GTC series. Sure, there are additional intakes on the front bumper and hood, dark surrounds on the headlights rather than chrome ones and dark wheels; but that’s as obvious as they can get; other changes are very subtle. One might argue that it makes it a perfect sleeper but I still think it needs more. Why not change the wire-mesh pattern on the grill altogether (rather than just darkens it) and make it a SS-only pattern? But overall, it’s still a Bentley Continental and that, of course, is not a bad thing. But there are quite a bit of CGT/GTC’s on the road and having a SS version would prefer it to be better identified. The top is powered and can be activated while the car is in low speed (needs not a complete stop). The top is totally concealed so the trunk looks perfectly tidy and there is actually quite a bit of usable trunk space in there. And there’s one (positive) irony on this car. The rear window may be smaller than the coupe but the canvas top is more upright at the rear; the coupe has a much more raked rear window; so while one might has a smaller opening, the rear vision is actually marginally better.

Interior: Again, nothing new that would excite; one would have a tough time telling the difference between it and the CGT/GTC Speed. The seats opinions are a bit convoluted: lightweight CF front seats in front only; lightweight CF seats front & back (these seats only have fully manual back & forth + recline adjustment, no height adjustment); regular powered multi-adjustable front seats only; and powered multi-adjustable front & rear seats. The weight saving between the CF & powered seats are rather substantial but the manual seats have limited adjustment only. (The height can be adjusted by moving the bolts to a different height position.) Personally, I like the CF seats and that are comfortable enough for me (substantially less padded than the power seats but still good.) Keep in mind that I also swapped the SL seats to the Euro-SL seats; so, I’m a bit biased and my physique allows me to fit in the SS’ well-contoured seats. I dislike the carbon fibre trim in this car! The only element that can relate are the back of the CF seats which are in CF shell. Other than that, the CF trim seems completely pointless. IMO, despite German-owned, a Bentley should have yards and yards of fine leather & exquisite wood trim. Ok, this is a SS and it should be different of even “badass”. But it just does not go well with all the chrome switches and organ push/pull levers in the car. The CF is bad looking too; it’s neither clear/wet-look enough (to prevent glare?) nor opaque/dry-look enough; it’s like a murky haze over the CF. What I really dislike is the lack of depth in the CF, in fact, there’s hardly any; one just can’t see the CF layers; it’s rather one-dimensional. The rest, again, more German than British.

Drive: Ok, so far, it seems that I dislike the car; but it more than makes it up in the drive. This car is sensational to drive! Massive hp & torque and absence of turbo lag. Drive it around town and it feels smaller than it really is; very nimble and easily maneuverable. The steering may be a tad too light and the steering wheel diameter perhaps the ever-slightest bit too small for my liking. The CCB work flawlessly and do not grab. Press the gas pedal and the car comes to life and simply whisks you away without any signs of substantial effort. Ok, the exhaust roars to life but that’s about it. In fact, perhaps its lack of drama may deter some but that’s fine with me. The adjustable suspensions deliver what they intended to do. Soft & cushy in town but dial them up and they firm up for the run & cornering, again, without drama. There is little body roll or dive or squat, which is surprising considering the heft of the car. The paddle shifts is not exactly sports-car-like fast but this isn’t really a sports car either so I call it acceptable. At high speed, in between shifts, there’s a short odd thunder-like “boom”. But no rpm change and the car feels just like usual. No idea what that is but it doesn’t seem to be causing any harm. Another thing that this car is exemplary is how tight it feels. Everything is so well-bolted together that it feels no different from the CGT SS (coupe). I drove the two back to back so I know. No squeaks, no rattle and, again, no drama. It delivers what one expected it to do and perhaps a bit more --- everything is well-planted and sure-footed. Acceleration is blindingly fast for such a heavy car and stopping is just as competent. The top is well insulated from wind noise at high speed and even with the top down; the noise at speed is acceptable. About the only thing I can criticize about the drive of this car is its insatiable thirst. But that’s not new to any of the Continental series and in fact, the SS is suppose to be able to run on ethanol so it is, technically, less expensive to run.

Conclusion: Performance and engineering-wise, I really like this car. It is truly a multi-purpose car! As long as you don’t mind its thirst, it’s the perfect DD! Class, comfort, seats 4 (the rear in relative comfort), open top with usable trunk space, this car can cruise. In addition, press the gas pedal and dial up the suspension and it turns to a performance car that can probably out-run the majority of cars on the road and perhaps might even fit for track --- all that while retaining its class & comfort. This car delivers on all the driving aspect in a surprisingly enjoyable manner! But I am not thrilled about its exterior and interior styling. The other negative is its price. Here in Canada, the open top version is about 9% more than the coupe SS. But if I were to buy one, I would still pick the open-top version as it’s much more versatile and it’s performance is nearly as good. The coupe cocoons you too much and you don’t hear any noise from the exhaust and the engine. But the price of a well-equipped GTC SS open top is actually only a hair away from the new Mulsanne. And that complicates things a bit. Yes, it’s two very different cars with their own distinctive purposes. But for me, I’m not sure if I’ll need a GTC SS. If a Lambo were not part of the stable, yes, then the GTC SS would deserve serious consideration. But if a sports car exists already, it would make more sense to pick a “classier” car with classic Bentley lines and more “British” styling both inside & out. To some, that may be too old school but while the CGT SS is a great drive, it’s a bit of an oddball in determining what it really is. Those who can afford one surely would not have only one car. A GTC Speed can deliver at least 85%+ of what the SS can do but with more comfort still and with a better identity for less $$. And other “4-door-sedans-that-mimic-a-coupe” or outright full-size sedans are catching up fast with more new products on the horizon. So the GTC SS may have some tough competitions and a bit of an identity crisis as it’s not distinctive enough from the “regular” GTC/GTC Speed. As a car that does it all, this car comes close; but while the GTC SS may be a sweet car to drive, it might be challenging to convince someone to actually buy one.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

I love the looks of the convertible specially the interior.

Thank you VCR for the write up, you are making car magazine buying redundant :icon_thumleft:

Very nice car but...

The CF is bad looking too; it’s neither clear/wet-look enough (to prevent glare?) nor opaque/dry-look enough; it’s like a murky haze over the CF. What I really dislike is the lack of depth in the CF, in fact, there’s hardly any; one just can’t see the CF layers; it’s rather one-dimensional. The rest, again, more German than British.

:iamwithstupid:

I`m a big CF fan but this is not lively CF. As you say it TOTALLY contradicts the other dash furniture.

• 3 months later...
Guest Singulari

I've actually sat in the Supersports (yes, it's actually called SuperSports not SuperSport) and to me, it feels very cramped in there (6 foot 3 inches).

It's funny that you mentioned the darkened grille. I actually HAD to pay extra $$ to chrome my grille instead of the bland black one. Hmm

I actually HAD to pay extra $$ to chrome my grille instead of the bland black one. Hmm

I actually HAD to pay extra $$ to black my grille instead of the bling chrome one. Hmm

Guest Singulari
I actually HAD to pay extra $$ to black my grille instead of the bling chrome one. Hmm

Sorry, let me clarify

Not the centre grille. The lower bumper ones

Guest Singulari

Let me take out my pricing guide from the safe.

Exterior Styling ---> Exterior Fittings ---> (STF2JC) Bright Chromed Lower Bumper Matrix - $1,166.00

Guest UnderScore instead of Singulari?
Al, nice review as always.

If you had to choose one, price no object, would you pick the SS?

Being a current Bentley Owner, No. the SuperSports (IT CALLED SUPERSPORTS WITH AN S!!!) is way to uncomfortable. The Continental GT in the first place is uncomfortable in the first place. You can barely see out the windshield. The SuperSports has uncomfortable seats and I don't think it's worth paying the extra money for a more uncomfortable car.

Just me

Being a current Bentley Owner, No. the SuperSports (IT CALLED SUPERSPORTS WITH AN S!!!) is way to uncomfortable. The Continental GT in the first place is uncomfortable in the first place. You can barely see out the windshield. The SuperSports has uncomfortable seats and I don't think it's worth paying the extra money for a more uncomfortable car.

Just me

You've got it wrong too. Bentley website states it's Supersports not SuperSports.

Okay, I'll post pics of my vehicle next week. This forum thing is really confusing the heck out of me.

Okay, I'll post pics of my vehicle next week. This forum thing is really confusing the heck out of me.

Didn't know I couldn't edit my own posts.

Anyways, the forum confusing me part was that My Control panel is really confusing to use and I have to search for threads that I've posted before and sometimes lose track

Guys, zoom in on the pics (the ones with the door sills and the wheel) and they will tell you the correct spelling & capitalization of the name (which the title is in error).

Fellippe, no I wouldn't pick the SS and it's not price related. The truth is I never truly liked the entire Continental series. Don't get me wrong, nice cars; just that I was never thrilled about their styling. I like the lines on the revised CGT more but will reserve judgement until I see one in real and hopefully a test drive.