Maintenence costs

topjay

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It can vary, but you are looking at least 30k a year on avg for service. Doesnt include tires.

Cheers, rough cost of tyres and wheels if they have to be changed every few years?

Cheers, rough cost of tyres and wheels if they have to be changed every few years?

I heard it was over $20k for a set of tires.

Hasnt there been discussion that there are other tires that can be used that are much less expensive if you're not running the car up to 250 MPH?

You cant use other tires without different wheels. I personally wouldnt use aftermarket wheels on a Veyron.

How could the tires be THAT expensive? I cant imagine them being able to justify the price unless there is something ultra propitiatory about them

How could the tires be THAT expensive? I cant imagine them being able to justify the price unless there is something ultra propitiatory about them

"The Veyron uses special Michelin PAX tires found on no other car. They were designed specifically for the Bugatti's capabilities and can only be removed from the wheels in France, a process that costs $70,000. The tires themselves cost $17,000 per set."

Also

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/bugatti4.htm

They can survive 250 mph plus under warranty on a 4000 pound car. That's ultra proprietary.

You pay to play.

Someone posted an after market rim option for the bug here on LP, unless you hit 250 on a regular basis those tires arent a necessity.

Realistically you hit 140 on standard tires.... I did that today on my Murci... I cant see how the tires can be a major issue not to buy...

But the other deferred maintenance and dealers might be a concern

One thing to remember with industrial parts costs like tires, you aren't just paying for a few pounds of steel, Kevlar, and rubber. You have huge $$$ in testing and development, along with tooling (the injection molds) which are six figures each, x4. Amortize that over a pretty small production lot and the unit costs get up there very quickly.

Damn, I thought some of the last Bugatti discussions on here were about maintenance costs being blown out of proportion. $50K a year seems pretty steep.

Damn, I thought some of the last Bugatti discussions on here were about maintenance costs being blown out of proportion. $50K a year seems pretty steep.

Its built more to aircraft standards than a car, so in that respect an annual operating cost of sub 5% of purchase price is doing pretty well.

And I'm betting the maintenance standards and intervals revolve around keeping the car in optimal condition to pull out of your driveway and make a 250mph pull once you get out of the Starbucks drive-thru. With that in mind the routine checks involve things that you probably wouldn't look at for 100k miles even on other ludicrous cars.

If you never intend to run it that way, the thing is so wildly over engineered it would probably go 300k miles with minimal serious service costs, but then you have a ton of other factors to contend with.

Besides, if you can drop 7 digits on the car, you have to know what you're getting into. And we've all seen what can happen when you neglect to change the tires on a supercar because they visually look fine. Being overly dramatic here, but you could concieveably die in a veyron because you didn't want to spend a few bucks on an annual checkup...

It is a very expensive car that is capable of speeds (from the manufacturer) far beyond any other stock car. All things considered, maintenance is not that bad. Having driven a Veyron, I can say that I get it: That car is absolutely astonishing. 165mph in a Veyron feels as stable as 50mph in a Mercedes S class.

I don't follow fads. I would take a Veyron over the ThethetheFerrari, P1 or 918 any day. It is a much more appealing car IMO.

Agreed! It's an engineering showcase....and as emanon mentioned, when production costs are spread over a smaller amount of units costs will go up. All in all...I'm with Ragin Bull....still my favorite Hyper exotic

Avg service is $21k usd.

Tires are $28k usd.

TPMS sensors are $6k usd. and need to be changed when you change tires.

Ive personally logged 10k miles in my Bug and have had zero issues. To me, driving the cars is key.....keeps everything functioning and lubricated. I was told point blank by Bugatti, my car had a lower service bill than 95% of the cars because I actually drive it regularly.

My philosophy is drive the car = loss of value for miles BUT its fun! VS. not driving the car = $$ for higher maint. cost AND its no fun! LOL

Ill take Option 1 all day, every day.

Its built more to aircraft standards than a car, so in that respect an annual operating cost of sub 5% of purchase price is doing pretty well.

And I'm betting the maintenance standards and intervals revolve around keeping the car in optimal condition to pull out of your driveway and make a 250mph pull once you get out of the Starbucks drive-thru. With that in mind the routine checks involve things that you probably wouldn't look at for 100k miles even on other ludicrous cars.

If you never intend to run it that way, the thing is so wildly over engineered it would probably go 300k miles with minimal serious service costs, but then you have a ton of other factors to contend with.

Besides, if you can drop 7 digits on the car, you have to know what you're getting into. And we've all seen what can happen when you neglect to change the tires on a supercar because they visually look fine. Being overly dramatic here, but you could concieveably die in a veyron because you didn't want to spend a few bucks on an annual checkup...

:iamwithstupid:

It's like looking at super yachts or jet powered aircraft. Operating costs begin to get just exponentially large. But then you have to take into account all that it is doing and is expected to do and THEN ask the plane to do all this without fail... On aircraft there is a reason they go by "per flight hour" and not necessarily by how fast you are going. Component failure can happen at low or high speed and goes not by the mood you are in or how fast you are going but time spent on those components.

There is a reason you can pickup an old 60s MiG 21 for dirt cheap (60-70k). They burn through fuel and the maintenance (and parts) will make you grey-haired and woman-less.

Avg service is $21k usd.

Tires are $28k usd.

Ive personally logged 10k miles in my Bug and have had zero issues. To me, driving the cars is key.....keeps everything functioning and lubricated. I was told point blank by Bugatti, my car had a lower service bill than 95% of the cars because I actually drive it regularly.

My philosophy is drive the car = loss of value for miles BUT its fun! VS. not driving the car = $$ for higher maint. cost AND its no fun! LOL

10k miles on a Veyron! That is bad ass! How long have you owned it?

Baky-the man who dailys a Veyron. :icon_pray:

Avg service is $21k usd.

Tires are $28k usd.

Thanks, would be how I look at it as well, and regularly used stuff generally works a lot better.

Obviously use dependant but how long did your tyres last?

I think costs once you have insured it as well would probably be too keen for me to not worry about! I'll leave it to you big dogs, but thanks for the insight.

10k miles on a Veyron! That is bad ass! How long have you owned it?

Baky-the man who dailys a Veyron. :icon_pray:

There is one for sale near me that is 2.5 years old with just under 50,000 miles, that is serious mileage for any car in that space of time net alone a Veyron!

I dont think the service/tires are that big of a deal considering the price of the cars. If the tire cost are that big of a deal to someone, they can get the aftermarket wheels a few people have used without issue and run much cheaper tires. Also a lot of people dont service them every 12 months, but every 18-24 months.

I dont think the service/tires are that big of a deal considering the price of the cars. If the tire cost are that big of a deal to someone, they can get the aftermarket wheels a few people have used without issue and run much cheaper tires. Also a lot of people dont service them every 12 months, but every 18-24 months.

:iamwithstupid:

If you are concerned about maintenance costs, you can't afford the car.

Anyone know how maintenance costs for other super high end cars (Koenigsegg, Pagani, etc) compare with the Veyron? Maybe Webster can chime in. I imagine they're similar outside the tires.