SLR

better4worse

I'm a bit of lurker here, but been enjoying the forum for a while :icon_thumleft:

I'm contemplating a SLR, and need all the help I can get from those who know more about the car & its current market prices.

I'm looking to get into a 05 or 06. I realize they're all out of warranty, so trying to pick one with the least amount of drama is imperative.

Car will probably stay in the LA area most of the year, and be serviced by MB Beverly Hills. I would want to have Terry (SLR Tech) at that dealership conduct the PPI for any considered car before I pull the trigger.

But anything to look out for (or to avoid) ? Not to mention some insight at the current market price would be appreciated.

There was one listed at EUROCAR (http://inventory.eurocaroc.com/web/used/Mercedes-Benz-SLR-McLaren-2005-Costa-Mesa-California/800608/), bu the high mileage got me a bit worried.

Thanks

I liked a lot about mine but one thing I disliked was the mandatory service interval each year ie: FSS, based upon time or mileage, whichever came first. The maintenance bills are pretty severe and the parts are very expensive. If you're going out of warranty, hopefully you're handy or get a well-sorted example.

I liked a lot about mine but one thing I disliked was the mandatory service interval each year ie: FSS, based upon time or mileage, whichever came first. The maintenance bills are pretty severe and the parts are very expensive. If you're going out of warranty, hopefully you're handy or get a well-sorted example.

Couldn't you buy an after market warranty through MB? If that's possible, I would do that.

The SLR is awesome and I'm sure it's a fcuking blast to drive, but dollar for dollar, what will it do that an SL65 won't do for 1/4 the price, other than being 1-1/2 D-Wiggs lighter?

I get the exclusivity and an SLR Roadster is a fcuking money ride, but you could easily snag a very nice daily driver and have enough coin leftover for an LP560.

Lambo Houston has one - silver with black interior. Looked nice in person when I checked it out on Thursday. I'm sure it's on their site.

I'm aware its not the easiest car to own on the pocket, but its my opinion the SLR's allure and driving experience is at a league of its own. Not to mention the type of car that's a keeper !

I've always figured owning an SLR out of warranty was for masochists.

That's one way to put it, which is exactly why I'm taking my time finding a good example.

Lambo Houston has one - silver with black interior. Looked nice in person when I checked it out on Thursday. I'm sure it's on their site.

3K Miles @ $240K, in the most undesirable color "silver" no less, does that sound right ?

I was under the impression the range for a '05 '06 coupe (not interested in the roadster) was 180-190 to 220 given the condition/color/history/year ? Can anyone confirm my understanding ? Or its inaccuracy ?

Thanks to all.

Make sure the car has been serviced and that all services are up to date. I just had B service done on my 722, major service as the plugs have to be changed and engine has to come out for that. B service was 16k. It would be a terrible shame if you had to fork out for that right after purchasing the car.

It also seems that going cheap and not changing the plugs at the recommended interval is a very bad idea as they tend to get stuck in the motor because of a flaw in the design of the hood, as water leaks onto the plugs and cause corrosion. They had 2 cars that needed brand new motors because of plugs that just would not come out.

From my experience with the 722 so far, it is great car with fabulous road presence, not a good daily driver as it is way too stiff and you feel every bump on the road and there are no cup holders, no ipod connection. Maintenace is very expensive about 3 times what it cost to service a Lambo so take all of this into consideration.

From my experience with the 722 so far, it is great car with fabulous road presence, not a good daily driver as it is way too stiff and you feel every bump on the road and there are no cup holders, no ipod connection. Maintenace is very expensive about 3 times what it cost to service a Lambo so take all of this into consideration.

Silly question. Why have you still got it?

Silly question. Why have you still got it?

Because i love the car. Fit and finish is beyond any italian exotic, goes great and looks incredible.

http://www.mbencino.com/used-Los+Angeles-2...DAJ76FX6M001122

Talk to Kris Assad, he is the only sensible salesperson there.

Thanks for the tip.

The SLR is one of those cars.....if you are concerned about maintenance costs, you can't afford it.

Thats not in question, what is: is the current price trends, and fair market prices for a '05 or '06 example.

How recent the car's been serviced (and how extensive) seems to play a 10K-20K factor in the sale price. Presumably that's why maintenance keeps getting thrown back into the discussion.

You brought it up in your initial post....

"I realize they're all out of warranty, so trying to pick one with the least amount of drama is imperative."

I have heard horror stories about part costs....the hood alone is $74K.

Good luck if you choose to purchase, they are awesome cars.

Here is a link to a thread I think you will find useful.

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...41186&st=20

Either way, I think you should be concerned about total cost of ownership and not just the initial purchase price.

Good luck if you choose to purchase, they are awesome cars.

Thank you.

Can anyone with insight share current prices ? Recent sales ? Some reference would be appreciated.

Also, if the car color was changed (from the original factory color) by a MB dealer for a previous owner, and/or have the dealer change the seats to another factory color seats (different insert color for example) how would that be factored in with price ?

Thank you.

Can anyone with insight share current prices ? Recent sales ? Some reference would be appreciated.

Also, if the car color was changed (from the original factory color) by a MB dealer for a previous owner, and/or have the dealer change the seats to another factory color seats (different insert color for example) how would that be factored in with price ?

Take the regular retail figure and set it on fire, scoop up the ashes and cut them in half. That should be a good place to start.

With wraps being as advanced as they are now I don't get need to chage factory colors on collectible exotics. At a tenth of the price and zero devaluation is a no brainier.

Take the regular retail figure and set it on fire, scoop up the ashes and cut them in half. That should be a good place to start.

Dark imagination indeed :eusa_think:

Some examples out there, have all sorts of "eccentric owner" stories, and some that I've encountered had such changes to 'em.

With wraps being as advanced as they are now I don't get need to chage factory colors on collectible exotics. At a tenth of the price and zero devaluation is a no brainier.

Agree 100%, that's what I would do if I wanted a fresh color, but one car I'm examining seems to have had a color change by its previous owner at a MB dealer here in CA, and it cost him a fortune at the time.

I'm just trying to make sense of that on the car's current valuation.

Dark imagination indeed :eusa_think:

Some examples out there, have all sorts of "eccentric owner" stories, and some that I've encountered had such changes to 'em.

Agree 100%, that's what I would do if I wanted a fresh color, but one car I'm examining seems to have had a color change by its previous owner at a MB dealer here in CA, and it cost him a fortune at the time.

I'm just trying to make sense of that on the car's current valuation.

Care to share the link?

Any car is worth what one is willing to pay for it. Take a look at what is for sale, figure out what you want to spend and place an offer on whatever is close to your budget. I would be surprised if there are good cars for sale under 200k.

Have a line on a perfect black on black car that is not yet available. Can't remember if it is an 05 or 06 car. Not sure if that is what you are looking for. Guy is trading for a Carrera GT.

Have a line on a perfect black on black car that is not yet available. Can't remember if it is an 05 or 06 car. Not sure if that is what you are looking for. Guy is trading for a Carrera GT.

Are you referring to the roadster in San Diego ? Someone brought a car out there to my attention, it's a private sale offer. Black/Black I believe, actually still has 2 years of warranty left, pretty rare.

Roadsters don't interest me, otherwise it would be worth considering.