Picking up a 997 911 Carrera S - Thoughts? Advice?

IanMan

Hey guys. I'm moving back to the mainland here pretty soon and looking right now for a 2007 911 Carrera S as a new daily. I know there are a lot for people here with Porsche experience and was hoping to ask what things I should look for and avoid. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Ian

I think on those the main issue they had was bore scoring which was rare. I think the IMS issue was sorted by 07. Should be solid cars, look for excessive soot on the tail pipes and any ticking from the engine.

Apparently the 997.1 carrera S has losts of engine problems, best to buy a 997.2.. Which i think is 09+.

Go on a porsche forum and do some research.

IMS bearing was 996

Good advice above and be sure to ask for a DME report which provides a history of engine red line ignitions. There are six over -rev ranges. If there are ignitions in ranges 4-5-6 Porsche will not CPO the car and the advice is to run away. Range 1 & 2 are not a problem and very common. Range 3 is generally considered acceptable.

For example if there are 30 ignitions in range one it means the engine red-lined for five revolutions with 6 cylinders (5x6=30 ignitions). That is a very short time at red line and not a concern at all (ask me how I know )

It basically means the engine bounced off the rev limiter.

The DME will also tell you the total operating hours of the engine, and the operating hour at which the over rev occurred. You'll know if it was recent or in the far past. That can be helpful info depending on the situation.

If someone misses a shift and lets out clutch before they catch it the engine can go much higher in red line and it can bend valves and "break" the engine (which is why it's known as a money shift - very expensive mistake). With a bent valve sometimes you know right away if it's bad enough, but a problem may not surface right away which is why range 4-5-6 over revs are considered "bad" and Porsche will not CPO the car.

As I said in PM - join the P car forum and do your homework. You'll learn as much about Porsche over there as you learn about Lambo over here!

PM sent