Ace's Movie Reviewz - Solo

Supercar Ace

It was unexpectedly awesome. The trailers made it look really bad, but it actually was a very fun movie with plenty of easter eggs for fans and charm for casual movie goers. Well did Ron Howard. Well did.

Am I the only one who is worn out by the the franchise???

Yes :lol2:

I don't care for sci-fi or Star Wars,but kids. With that said, best one of the whole franchise. I actually really enjoyed this one!

Ron Howard, A+. If Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover were tasked with impersonating Harrison Ford and Billy Williams, they did a great job. This was a movie about people. Not galactic scale struggles, overarching principles, or big picture problem solving. The characters were up close and personal. They let the actors shine and the plot twists weren't predictable.

My only critique is that they made Solo a product of the street thug underground, which is about all the depth we can expect from Disney. In the OT, it was semi-obvious that he was an educated straight cookie gone rogue...burned out and only in it for the money because that's all life had to offer anymore.

As for J. J. Abrams and Rian Johnson, F-. Get these men away from Star Wars as quickly as possible. These side stories are all that's keeping the property afloat. The Kenobi story sneak peeks are already looking promising.

As for J. J. Abrams and Rian Johnson, F-. Get these men away from Star Wars as quickly as possible. These side stories are all that's keeping the property afloat. The Kenobi story sneak peeks are already looking promising.

:iamwithstupid:

It sucked and the worldwide grosses reflect that. I doubt there will be a Solo 2 with the current cast. Disney is going to take a bath on this one. After P&A and extensive reshoots, they are into this for more than $350 million. Projected gross worldwide is under $550m which they have to split with theatres.

I think it's sales results are a reflection of Abrams' and Johnson's failures, wearing out buyers along with showing up in Deadpool's wake. The movie itself works and audiences are still rating it highly. At this point in Last Jedi's release, a lot of people were already screaming and Rotten Tomatoes was breaking new-low records. If Disney is going to keep making this train longer, we just need to accept the fact that "epic" is never going to happen again. Hell, even the Marvel machine is starting to suffer with the inability to manufacture "epic."

Am I the only one who is worn out by the the franchise???

:iamwithstupid:

I grew up with Star Wars, saw the original over 20 times. Disney is whoring their purchase of the franchise. Star Wars franchise fatigue has set in, box office receipts reflecting that. The public is tired of a new Star Wars every year.

Surprised we haven't seen this yet with the Marvel comic movies, as good as they have been.

I love Deadpool, but I can't take a 10yo to see it. Infinity War had some serious weak areas and I think that it was a sign that we've reached peak Marvel. I'm sure the next few Marvel flicks will still be entertaining, but fatigue is a good word to describe what is setting in now. Disney is a machine rather than a cathedral of creativity, so we'd best recalibrate our expectations for what they produce. Star Wars is too far gone, still profitable, but no longer a self-sustaining fire of inspiration among children which says a lot. But Deadpool is a great example of what can be done if audiences demand it.

I love Deadpool, but I can't take a 10yo to see it. Infinity War had some serious weak areas and I think that it was a sign that we've reached peak Marvel. I'm sure the next few Marvel flicks will still be entertaining, but fatigue is a good word to describe what is setting in now. Disney is a machine rather than a cathedral of creativity, so we'd best recalibrate our expectations for what they produce. Star Wars is too far gone, still profitable, but no longer a self-sustaining fire of inspiration among children which says a lot. But Deadpool is a great example of what can be done if audiences demand it.

The problem is movie studios are all run by investment firms...Even Disney is in investment mode. Creativity is risk. Familiarity is safe. So they are going to go the safe route that high probability of making a return on their investment.

I like it! Better than expected. First one in awhile that is pulling me back to the theater to see a second time.

Watched it in my office this week and enjoyed it. A lot of shots were composed to look like old shots from the first two films, like the desert scenes, which was a nice nod for cinematography nerds. The one truly refreshing thing was the lack of merchandise they were trying to sell us.

Haven't seen the film yet, but not very interested in it after "The Last Jedi." Also to me, Han Solo is Harrison Ford and that's that. IMO, the reason Star Wars has gone into the crapper, at least with "The Last Jedi," is the political agenda of the people heading the franchise. I thought "The Force Awakens" and "Rogue One" were great however. I don't know if it is legitimate franchise fatigue, or fan backlash over "The Last Jedi," that sank Solo.

I would somewhat disagree that Disney is "playing it safe" with the new Star Wars movies. I was rather shocked for example by the planet destruction scene in "The Force Awakens," when the First Order destroys those Republic planets. To me, that was a very violent scene, like the Star Wars equivalent of watching people get nuked. I remember in the theater thinking to myself, "Wow, this is almost a little too violent for Star Wars..."

Haven't seen the film yet, but not very interested in it after "The Last Jedi." Also to me, Han Solo is Harrison Ford and that's that. IMO, the reason Star Wars has gone into the crapper, at least with "The Last Jedi," is the political agenda of the people heading the franchise. I thought "The Force Awakens" and "Rogue One" were great however. I don't know if it is legitimate franchise fatigue, or fan backlash over "The Last Jedi," that sank Solo.

I would somewhat disagree that Disney is "playing it safe" with the new Star Wars movies. I was rather shocked for example by the planet destruction scene in "The Force Awakens," when the First Order destroys those Republic planets. To me, that was a very violent scene, like the Star Wars equivalent of watching people get nuked. I remember in the theater thinking to myself, "Wow, this is almost a little too violent for Star Wars..."

Don't hold the sins of the Last Jedi against this one...it's a better good space western. The Last Jedi was...something else entirely...