Anyone know of a 6 volt jump starter for vintage cars?

cake

I’ve been looking (for a friend) for a jump starter that will specifically work with 6V.

They all seem to be 12V from what I’ve found so far.

This is not for charging - this is for jump starting.

In addition - looking for something that can easily travel by plane. Something light and portable enough that it wouldn’t be a huge PITA to carry on, or even check on if needed.

I’ve seen some on ebay that claim to be 12v/6V but when I dig in and read the “fine print” they are chargers, not for jump starts.

I know there are techniques where you can use a 12V jumper and keep accessories turned off, and disconnect it quickly (and not grind too much) and according to many accounts I’ve read on other forums - it doesn’t do any damage.

But I still wonder if there’s something out there geared toward vintage cars.

Any suggestion on a resource is appreciated!

In addition - looking for something that can easily travel by plane. Something light and portable enough that it wouldn’t be a huge PITA to carry on, or even check on if needed.

I don't think I would be of much help but if portability by plane is one of the criteria, that would likely eliminate 99% of what's available if not entirely. To provide enough current for a jump, Lithium Ion cell is likely a must and most airline had forbidden such items being on board. The latest round is airliners are banning those "smart suitcase" which has build-in Li-ion batteries. Wet cell eliminates portability and converters (either by transformers or by solid states components) won't be small & lightweight either.

No engineer or automotive tech myself so my knowledge is limited. The so-called feasible solution that I can think of is to get another 6V battery and put that on a 6V-compatible trickle charger (so it'll always be good to go). If a jump-start is needed, either swap the 2 batteries or connect the standby battery to the weak one for a jump. Not exactly an ideal solution but that's one possibility.

VCR - thanks for the thoughtful and detailed response!!

That is VERY helpful and I think we need to go another way to solve this challenge.

I had the same thought as VCR about using a second battery for a jump. A quick Google search came up with a thread about the same topic here. Towards the bottom a company says they have made a 6v jump kit and are looking for people to test them. There is an email address listed. Website is www.maxxstart.com. Hope that helps.

Let me guess, need to start barn-find cars? No love for airline friendly items, forget it.

Get a big plastic ammo can, get a large 6v battery, put one bolt for each pole through the top, use for jump points. If you just need a "cheater" for smaller things like farm equipment, you can wire up a trio of 6v camping/lantern batteries in the can.

AudiBull - thanks for the link. I did similar searches but never came across this. Most of my searches found discussions about how to use a 12v jumper for a 6V engine. I looked at their product and while there is no reference to 6V, they say it’s self regulating and won’t use more voltage than the starter requires. I’ll contact them and ask some questions. Thanks!

TestShoot - you’re on the right track. These are from an estate. The family doesn’t want the cars. Your battery suggestion is a simple solution. Because the cars are located a plane ride away, it’ll take some planning and coordination to get some 6V batteries but that appears to be the best route. There is time to get it figured out and prepare.

Thank you gentlemen!!

Glad to help. I got a bunch of these Plastic Ammo Cans, I use them for my yard solar gear too. You can build one at a Walmart, Target, or Harbor Freight. Fill the empty space with your recharger.