Tollroad transponder tape fail

TestShoot

Guys, many of you probably have FastTrak, Express lanes, EZ Pass or other toll road transponders. I am having tape issues, maybe some of you have experienced this too. I own multiple cars but this unit stays primarily in one car.

The tape adheres to the windshield with no errors, but new strips of Velcro will not stick to the transponder itself. I have bought three kinds of tape and even tried a rubber cement and all fail within a week or two. It's like the damned thing is coated in some anti-glue repellent and it is not like the temperatures are through the roof either.

I took a sharp turn with the window open and my cat-like reflexes caught it as it shot out the window. I mean, it was a "Hail Mary" fingertip catch.

No way will I tape it to the dashboard and some of those suction cup holders won't fit into the gap where I need it to.

I just leave it in center console (or convenient storage place) and when approaching a toll just take it out and place on dash, or hold up. Then put it away.

I don’t want tape or Velcro on a windscreen even if hidden by the mirror. But I don’t have to deal with local tolls so it’s not a “regular” thing.

I just leave it in center console (or convenient storage place) and when approaching a toll just take it out and place on dash, or hold up. Then put it away.

:iamwithstupid:

I do the same thing with the Portuguese sistem, keep it in centre dash storage, lift it, store again.

I don’t want tape or Velcro on a windscreen even if hidden by the mirror. But I don’t have to deal with local tolls so it’s not a “regular” thing.

Roads are not always straight, so it has fallen into my HUD a few times, and with the windshield coating, it really has to be up on the glass.

I have tried crazy glue and it failed. next test is rough up the plastic and try hot glue.

I have this beast: 2.5" x 3"

20160721__fastrakflex1.jpg

Is it possible to rub out part of the transponder box's surface with an ink eraser, ensure it's free of any residue and then apply new 3M industrial-strength adhesive tape to the "scuffed" area?

A little five minute epoxy or super glue applied between the Velcro tape and transponder should solve the issue. Scuffing up the plastic with some fine sandpaper, steel wool, etc. will help. You're in an area with heavy sunshine. My guess is the adhesive is softening as it's temp rises.

3M produces a product called Plastic and Emblem Adhesive.

Part number 08061

It is used for gluing emblems, nameplates and body mouldings onto the exterior of cars.

Even after the adhesive is dry, it retains some flex and may work for you.

Hope this helps.

We have video recognition here, for an extra fee added to the toll they read your registration plates then you can ditch the transponders.

As for fixing your transponder to the windshield, we use 3M double sided tape (I will get the code for you) to fix aluminum cladding to buildings, I always use it to fix the registration plates to the cars etc. that tape is incredible, your windscreen will come off before that transponder will but I am not sure if they sell it in smaller quantities, we buy them in 30 meter rolls and it is expensive so it migh not be worth it but I can ask the guys if we have some and I can send it to you in an envelope.

Edit:

I think it’s called 3M VHB not sure if there is another code to it but I can find out

398EF69C_35FB_4320_A7B2_64110E66897A.jpeg

I’ve found some more info on it, on page 11 you will have some product codes.

I can vouch for this product it’s absolutely incredible.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/558143O...ralPanelbro.pdf

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_W...azing/Cladding/

Is it possible to rub out part of the transponder box's surface with an ink eraser, ensure it's free of any residue and then apply new 3M industrial-strength adhesive tape to the "scuffed" area?

As for fixing your transponder to the windshield, we use 3M double sided tape (I will get the code for you) to fix aluminum cladding to buildings, I always use it to fix the registration plates to the cars etc. that tape is incredible, your windscreen will come off before that transponder will...

I think it’s called 3M VHB not sure if there is another code to it but I can find out

That's what I was referring to (great minds think alike.:)). The Home Depot stores in the US should sell them in relatively small quantities.

That's what I was referring to (great minds think alike.:)). The Home Depot stores in the US should sell them in relatively small quantities.

:icon_thumleft:

The one we use isn’t available at the big hardware stores here but it might be in the states.

Here you go if you’ve got a train to pull LOL

We have video recognition here, for an extra fee added to the toll they read your registration plates then you can ditch the transponders.

As for fixing your transponder to the windshield, we use 3M double sided tape (I will get the code for you) to fix aluminum cladding to buildings, I always use it to fix the registration plates to the cars etc. that tape is incredible, your windscreen will come off before that transponder will but I am not sure if they sell it in smaller quantities, we buy them in 30 meter rolls and it is expensive so it migh not be worth it but I can ask the guys if we have some and I can send it to you in an envelope.

So as a bit of a side question, you can actually tape cladding to buildings? Just sounds so ramshackle. And I don't mean that in any demeaning way, just I mean I had no idea that building construction could employ special tape like that. Learn something new everyday.

So as a bit of a side question, you can actually tape cladding to buildings? Just sounds so ramshackle. And I don't mean that in any demeaning way, just I mean I had no idea that building construction could employ special tape like that. Learn something new everyday.

Follow the 3M links I’ve provided, majority of the cladding is tapped.

In some instances, immediately after placement, if the placement was incorrect you’d have to pull the alluminium composite panel off the frame same way you open a can of sardines, roll it off otherwise it won’t come off that’s how well the tape binds.

The reason why alluminium cladding is so expensive is because you really have to know what you are doing when it comes to installing it because every component is very expensive.

I have a plate that readers have a hard time with. Even cops roll up on me and run my plates to make sure they are real. It's perfectly legal, but throws some old systems for a loop.

I have tried some 3M tapes, as a matter of fact it came with some, and the stuff I saw online in little strips on Amazon failed for me, but I may try one of those listed alternatives.

I have a plate that readers have a hard time with. Even cops roll up on me and run my plates to make sure they are real. It's perfectly legal, but throws some old systems for a loop.

I have tried some 3M tapes, as a matter of fact it came with some, and the stuff I saw online in little strips on Amazon failed for me, but I may try one of those listed alternatives.

Now I want to know what the plates say :icon_mrgreen:

Of course you don’t need to share :icon_thumleft: