308 vs 328

djantlive

What are the pro and cons between 308 and 328?

From what I can tell,

Pre-1980 308 are lighter.

1980-1982 308 are the least desirable due to weight and less power.

328 prices are higher. Is this because of less numbers produced?

I am thinking of buying one for collecting as well as usage. Budget is 50-70k USD

Are both cars reliable? No engine out timing belt change right?

Is the targa as desirable as coupe? I prefer coupe. Any leak or squeeking from targa top?

I will research fchat as well.

328 is the easier car to get right because they are all nearly identical (no ABS until '89, same motor, euro Vs US spec only 10 hp different). Bodies are all identical. Reliability is very good.

308 you have potential to have a cooler car but takes more effort/luck to do so. An injected two valve US GTBi/GTSi is typically bottom of barrel car on par with a Mondial 8.

It's recommended to go Quattrovalvole (QV) or good carbureted version. The euro version for either one makes a bit more power, and dry sump for carb version.

Compression/leak down test is vital if you care at all about power; a lot of variance amongst cars. Thats why I laughed at the dismissal of PPIs in the other thread bc a long time ago this was where I learned about PPI, and it was often the difference between decent power and garbage.

Also, variance on 308 bodies/looks are big:

Big bumper vs small bumper

Deep chin spoiler vs small chin spoiler

14" vs 16" wheels

Single vs dual side mirror

Dual vs single exhaust

Interior differences

I once found a guy who had the

perfect 308, lowered a bit with small bumpers and deep chin spoiler -- it was stunning.

To answer your other questions:

You will need engine out for servicing belts ("minor"15k and 30k/5 year major).

EDIT: maybe not for the minor service but definitely the major. You do the major service once and won't have to do it again for five years based on the other cars you will be driving.

Targa is often more desired by casual buyers, coupe for the serious enthusiast.

I am really excited to find this thread! My father had a 89 328 and I have always wanted to pick one up but don't know what to look out for.

Seems like the prices have really jumped lately. What is market value on a lower mile 10k to 15K car?

I am really excited to find this thread! My father had a 89 328 and I have always wanted to pick one up but don't know what to look out for.

Seems like the prices have really jumped lately. What is market value on a lower mile 10k to 15K car?

With those miles and that year 120k minimum.

With those miles and that year 120k minimum.

What has made these cars go up so much? They were never really that desirable to most. Wouldn't that have been a $60k to $80k car not too long ago?

What has made these cars go up so much? They were never really that desirable to most. Wouldn't that have been a $60k to $80k car not too long ago?
You are exactly right. They jumped right before the TRs jumped ~1.5-2 years ago now, but seem to have settled out in the 100-120 range with 308s about 50k less. TRs jumped even more so. I was hoping it was a fluke, but prices have leveled out now for both.

More recently 550s have seen a huge upswing, passing F1 575s. 355's have also had a steady climb not nothing as fast. Word is 360s are starting now too with a few high dollar purchases for low mile cars.

Why is it going on? Likely the same reason Diablo prices have surged in the last 2 years as well. You can't find a 6.0 less then 200 now, with most in the 300 range. What that reason is? I can't definitely pin it down.

Personally I just hope they come down....at these prices late 512TRs are out of my range and 550/575s are exceeded what 'I am willing to pay' for one.

Wonder how long until Dino 308 GT/4 goes up in line with the GTB/S...if ever?

Almost everyone prefers the GTB/S but in no way are they worth 2-3 times the price of a GT/4, unless the styling is a must have.

GT/4s I hear handle a little better too. And for this forum in particular , they look more like a Lambo than a Ferrari.

The wheels on the '89 kill me.

I'd prefer '86-88.5 just for that alone. You only give up ABS.

Almost everyone prefers the GTB/S but in no way are they worth 2-3 times the price of a GT/4, unless the styling is a must have.

GT/4s I hear handle a little better too. And for this forum in particular , they look more like a Lambo than a Ferrari.

And absolutely lovely dash as well!

The Bertone styling is wonderful if under-appreciated on that car.

And absolutely lovely dash as well!

The Bertone styling is wonderful if under-appreciated on that car.

It's a car for the rest of us, for sure.

I'd prefer it not to have Ferrari badges.....not out of shame, but I think the Dino badging is cooler in this case, and leaves an aura of mystery amongst the common folk.

• 1 month later...

i had a 308 dry sup GTB, 1979, european car, steel

sold the car over 1 year ago to buy the 93 diablo (and do not regret it)

the 308 carbed is a nice looking and good handling car, believe me...i liked it a LOT! BUT it is a bit slow to be honest

now i have a GTB turbo car 1989, ABS car (it has same body and interior as the 328).

car is really a perfect one, 19000 Kms from new, perfect inside out in a different color (blue chiaro met) and the 308 was a good one but had some 65000 Kms

the car has the same good handling, looks a bit less good than the 308 in the interior imo BUT ...is SO MUCH quicker than the 308

it is unbelievable......really is not in the same league!

i bet the hp in this were underrated and the 308 carbed overrated and i am sure the turbo is quicker than a 328

and i forgot it sounds GREAT! awesome car

try find a nice GTB turbo or GTS turbo, these intercooler cars are QUICK and fun. also pretty rare with only 308 GTB built...and some 700 or so GTS

post-4328-1454611046_thumb.jpg

post-4328-1454611059_thumb.jpg

post-4328-1454611159_thumb.jpg

post-4328-1454611551_thumb.jpg

Wonder how hard it would be to import a 328 Turbo like that. I love that car.. mini F40...

exactly! or mini 288GTO... :)

i think nothing really hard to do..... since they are over 25 years old i think also "very little to none" custom fees to bring into US.

again let me tell they are extremely good cars. if i think about it, i cannot find big faults in them, both as driver and as collectable:

they have a very classy and beautiful design, nice interior, good handling, sound amazing and service is easy and cheap, (forget about ferrari service nightmares, as all 308 derived they are reliable and belts can be changed WITHOUT taking engine off).

when i started looking for some new toy, once again i was interested in finally purchasing a testarossa. having owned a pair of countach and diablos, i always wanted to try the ferrari competitor!

why a testarossa? simply for its great look and sound

but, once again.... i gave up: everyone that owned, drove or worked on one talked me OUT of it: opinions go from "so and so car" fo "stay the f..k away from them!" .....big heavy car, bad handling, poor brakes, hard to find parts, a nightmare to service and expensive to upkeep. few pros and lot of cons.

one good friend and member here had one single mirror Testarossa. Some time ago we took my old 308 carbed GTB for a ride and after driving i told him i was interested in a testarossa...he told me:

"if you sell this one to buy a testarossa you will be disappointed, and i mean HUGELY disappointed, as a driver car it is much much worst...testarossa is nice but a pos to drive"

i am sure if he would drive a good turbo car he will absolutely love it, since is better than the carbed 308 in EVERY single thing and has much more power.

turbo intercooler cars are very well built (the 328 is the end of well over 10 years refinement and evolution to the 308 project) and is still known to be one of the best built ferrari ever.

they are reliable and contrary to most 208, 308 ....really feel quick in the straight line. when the turbo kicks in they rev fast and sound great. they are fun to drive since they are light and nimble, the brakes are also good.

AND as a bonus they are also rare 80's Ferraris for a good price. really few made, expecially in the GTB closed version (which i think is perfect for the turbo engine caracter), but is not the GTS turbo has been made in big numbers really.

again i feel stock vs stock they are a bit faster than 328

Now think you can put a 20% more of boost turning a screw, keeping stock engine and then they feel really quick and still 100% reliable

all of this while being less than half the price of a glass 308.

you know what?

i would love to modify one, with a tuned engine....i think 350 + hp would be doable without anything extreme

i think it would be so cool to drive and fun project... :icon_super:

only i cannot do this to this one....too nice for this. a blue unrestored and such low miles is nearly impossible to find.

next one! :)

i am more of a lambo guy than a ferrari guy

but i like the 308 GTB-S design a lot, i can aprreciate its proportions and curves. it is beautiful

while i think the GT4 is not a good looking car...sorry but to be honest to me it is one of worst looking vintage ferraris ever made

it is a Bertone car, but one of the worst looking Bertone design imo. the urraco is similar in some ways: similar dimension, 2+2, same period, small carbed V8 in the same configuration/location..... but urraco design came out much nicer looking.

Emilio

Was that not called the 228 ? If i am not wrong, the reason why this car was introduced was to reduce the registration taxes on higher displacement motors. Is that correct?

Emilio

Was that not called the 228 ? If i am not wrong, the reason why this car was introduced was to reduce the registration taxes on higher displacement motors. Is that correct?

It was originally a 208 turbo back in the 308 days, and correct it was for tax reasons.

When the 328 came out, they dropped the model number and just went with GTB/GTS turbo.

i am more of a lambo guy than a ferrari guy

but i like the 308 GTB-S design a lot, i can aprreciate its proportions and curves. it is beautiful

while i think the GT4 is not a good looking car...sorry but to be honest to me it is one of worst looking vintage ferraris ever made

it is a Bertone car, but one of the worst looking Bertone design imo. the urraco is similar in some ways: similar dimension, 2+2, same period, small carbed V8 in the same configuration/location..... but urraco design came out much nicer looking.

The Dino is not traditionally pretty by any means, but I do like it for it's '70 Italianness. :icon_thumleft:

By your second paragraph you're basically saying that Bertone sandbagged the Dino in keeping with his stronger ties to Lamborghini. :icon_mrgreen:

It's a good story why Ferrari went to Bertone for the GT4......do you recall it? I forget.

It was originally a 208 turbo back in the 308 days, and correct it was for tax reasons.

When the 328 came out, they dropped the model number and just went with GTB/GTS turbo.

correct

AND while i like the first 208 turbo and i think is more beautiful, the last GTB-GTS turbo are much better cars: quicker, better built, more reliable...etc

Emilio

yes, for italian taxes then that were much lower on car under 2000cc

once again , the first 208 turbo was the first ever turbo ferrari and while having some pros, it had also not few faults

the final 2000 turbo had gone trough a lot of development and came after the 288 and F40, so Ferrari became very good at making turbo engines

BTW Emilio, how does the turbo V8 sound?

very simlpy fantastic

i liked the 308 carbed noise but this is probably better sounding!

yes, for italian taxes then that were much lower on car under 2000cc

once again , the first 208 turbo was the first ever turbo ferrari and while having some pros, it had also not few faults

the final 2000 turbo had gone trough a lot of development and came after the 288 and F40, so Ferrari became very good at making turbo engines

What are they going for these days ?

What are they going for these days ?

under 60.000 euro only bad ones with accident history, in need of works etc

car in less than average conditions with lot of Kms are 60-70.000 euro

very nice cars in red are 70-85.000 euro

low mileage cars in pristine conditions over 85.000 euro

best ones, not red over 100.000 euro

usually GTB are worth a bit more than GTS, not red cars are very hard to find and command a considerable premium

same as with the 308 and 328