Another toy

Chipster

1974 Jaguar XJ6. British Racing Green over tan. My gf's grandparents gave this to us this past weekend. They got it in 77 I think so only a 2 owner car really. They hadn't been driving it but it runs. Needs a new brake booster and master and some basics like fuses and bulbs. Eventually will redo the interior.

Funny thing is I immediately wanted to change to euro bumpers and after seeing how cheap they were for the vintage mustang, I thought these wouldn't be bad. But they are like 1500 for a pair. It's like 150 for the mustang. Anyways, it was free and I think it's pretty cool. Washed it and waxed it.

post-3902-1491919522_thumb.jpg

post-3902-1491919541_thumb.jpg

Hi my name is Chipster and people keep giving me cars.

Those old jags are cool when they run. At least you know how to work on them.

What would it cost to swap an LSx in there... :eusa_think:

They actually have a kit readily available to do a drop in GM drive train. The car seems to be fine now but it's cool that there is a reliable fall back like that.

Those old jags are cool when they run. At least you know how to work on them.

Lol. She sent me a text after her grandfather asked and I was like no way! I said hell yes. I actually didn't even think it was running, so that was a nice surprise. Unfortunately, that garage space was earmarked for a Harley and she wanted the Jag there so I'm debating trying to rearrange room for a bike on the end.

On a sidenote, worked on the mustang on Sunday for the first time since last summer. Got some welding done and hoping to get the rest done by summer. Felt good to make some progress. I used to live about 20 minutes from my parents but when moving in with the gf last year, I'm now an hour and 20 away, so harder to find the time.

Thanks Carol!

My dad had a series 1 in this exact colour when we were kids.

At the time it was considered one of the best sport saloons for sale. You need to get rid of those US bumpers and the white walls. The twin gas tanks were a massive pain in the ass among other things - Lucas Prince of Darkness et al.

post-13077-1491933024.jpg

My dad had a series 1 in this exact colour when we were kids.

At the time it was considered one of the best sport saloons for sale. You need to get rid of those US bumpers and the white walls. The twin gas tanks were a massive pain in the ass among other things.

Definitely want to do the bumpers. This is kind of the gf's. I said I would do the work if she contributed most of the part costs. My idea of cheap for parts is vastly different than hers lol. So 500 for just one of the bumpers will take some coaxing. I've already bought stuff for it I haven't told her about so she won't complain about the costs. I'm torn on the white walls. I guess it looks better on the old XKs. But I think we may run these down before replacing.

Definitely want to do the bumpers. This is kind of the gf's. I said I would do the work if she contributed most of the part costs. My idea of cheap for parts is vastly different than hers lol. So 500 for just one of the bumpers will take some coaxing. I've already bought stuff for it I haven't told her about so she won't complain about the costs. I'm torn on the white walls. I guess it looks better on the old XKs. But I think we may run these down before replacing.

I bet you could source some bumpers in the UK for less.

Love that car. I had a buddy that had one in highschool that had a GM small block swap. What a cool car.

I bet you could source some bumpers in the UK for less.

Once she is willing to drop the coin, I'll send what I can find. I'm sure you're right.

Love that car. I had a buddy that had one in highschool that had a GM small block swap. What a cool car.

I would have never guessed the GM swaps were common before joining the jag forums over the weekend. They are pretty active there and many signatures show GM swaps and in some cases full driveline changes with some pretty decent power. I've got about 10 days before the parts I've ordered arrived. Fuel tank switch button had no light so can't tell which tank it's on and fuel gauge isn't working either haha. That and the brakes are the main focus.

Looks to be in pretty darn good shape. How many miles does it have? My mom had an '86 XJS which is my only experience with older Jags. Best of luck with it!

I prefer the original drivetrain. Sweet car,must do the bumpers!

Lucky boy, enjoy it :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Fortis.

Looks to be in pretty darn good shape. How many miles does it have? My mom had an '86 XJS which is my only experience with older Jags. Best of luck with it!

It is for the most part. Definitely some swirls in the paint and the passenger front fender edge over the wheel did rub against something white. Some paint flaws for sure but considering the age, pretty solid. They kept it garaged. They are from Finland and spend about half the year there every year so not too crazy on miles but I think around 100k. I'm not entirely sure if the odometer is working right now either. I was surprised to see that it had power windows and locks and they all work. Even the old radio works well.

I prefer the original drivetrain. Sweet car,must do the bumpers!

I would like to stick to the Jag drivetrain too. I ordered carb rebuild kits. I'll need to trace the oil leak but I believe it had a major rebuild roughly 10 years ago. Plugs and plug lines look pretty new too.

Anyone in Europe know of a good site for finding used Jag parts or bumpers?

I forgot about that old Stang. :lol2:

Chip, add another gated shifter to your garage:

Way cool bud!! And the price was certainly right :icon_thumleft:

At least if it becomes a nightmare, she wound be able to sell it and not lose any money. Interior refresh would be the most costly thing.

I forgot about that old Stang. :lol2:

Chip, add another gated shifter to your garage:

I'll have to post some updates on that. I think will have the new floors welded in this month. Welded in one toe board and got the front torque boxes into place (these are additional over stock because it will be a stroker motor).

And no more purchases, maybe a Harley this week, but that's it. Plenty of things to keep me busy now. Someday though! I actually did not know they made xj6 Coupes and I think that's cool.

I'll have to post some updates on that. I think will have the new floors welded in this month. Welded in one toe board and got the front torque boxes into place (these are additional over stock because it will be a stroker motor).

And no more purchases, maybe a Harley this week, but that's it. Plenty of things to keep me busy now. Someday though! I actually did not know they made xj6 Coupes and I think that's cool.

The Coupes are pretty bad ass. No B pillar.

Harry at Evo has one and did a review of it.