Ace's Movie Reviewz - Black Panther

Supercar Ace

Pretty solid movie, entertaining and another signature Marvel movie. Some people are reading way too much into it as it's a solid stand alone story, not a social commentary piece. If you liked other Marvel films you'll like this one.

Spoilers

- Vibranium aka "magictanium" makes the world go round

- We always knew there was something special about purple drank

- If one kid runs all the sci fi department, what the hell are all the others doing?

- We really need to hear Klaue's mix tape

- Killmonger should have put as much thought into his nickname as he did his body art

- Battle royale rhinos

- Bugatti Spaceship

I give it s B.

Some fun, creative, good stuff, that will probably get better in sequels...but with other roll your eyes, not quite polished, who's idea was that moments.

Well, I saw it as "Make Wakanda Great Again"

1) Wakanda first

2) no immigrants/refugees and all their problems

3) the world is in a shitty way, fcuk'em

4) the women are really the protectors

5) NIMBY; not in my back yard

costume design was nice, the guards in red were bad ass. a lot of blurry action bothered me. but i liked it, it was different than the same formula of boring white guys in party dresses overcoming their differences to save the world. just once, the world needs to end.

Unwatchable, turned it off when the rhinos showed up. Should have given up after the intro sequence....painting by numbers.

seen anything worthwhile lately? I keep going to older movies - The Fugitive, Rush hour, The Edge, stuff that actually has people behaving like people. This is next on the list - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1412386/

As a stand alone movie to start the franchise Black Panther was decent. Hope the next one has more action sequences although what was shown was ok. People need to relax, it was a movie not the salvation of the races.

People need to relax, it was a movie not the salvation of the races.

:iamwithstupid: Little kids don't care about race, they just see cool action. The adults need to take a lesson from this.

Saw it, liked it. Not as good as Ragnarok, but entertaining all the same. IMO, leave your politics at the door and watch the movie for the entertainment value.

Saw it, liked it. Not as good as Ragnarok, but entertaining all the same. IMO, leave your politics at the door and watch the movie for the entertainment value.

:iamwithstupid:

It was ok. I enjoyed it and it was worth the ticket, but I don't need to see it again. All of these Marvel characters need to be properly developed to fuel the epic Marvel machine that makes it so much better than DC, and they accomplished that. They get you behind him and make you root for him and that's all that really matters. However, I'm not likely to buy the Blu Ray ala Avengers, Iron Man, Cap', Strange, etc. due to unsustainable believability. Yet, I do think there is some useful social commentary in it.

*** SPOILER WARNING *** SPOILERS FOLLOW ***

The Goods:

- Character development, five stars, well done, welcome to the team.

- Creating a varied hero talent pool with depth to attack problems from every angle.

- Fight scenes were well done!

- CG keeps improving and I never found myself distracted. It always helped the story happen. Wonder Woman, by comparison, was a modern CG fail.

The Others:

- They're trying to make me believe that a singularly amazing natural resource is going to push a civilization light years beyond all others in not only technological development, but social systems and government. Sorry, not buying it. At all. This is the one bullshit flag that I just can't get beyond, and it's at the root of the entire plot.

- Isolating their other-worldly tech and socio-economic development while the rest of Africa is either warring or starving is a dick move I can understand, but keeping the secret for millennia just isn't believable within the scope of human nature.

- Killmonger (Michael B. Jordan) was too manufactured for me to believe him. It was good to have a villian with a tragic backstory and deep motivation to be bad, but they lost me trying to make him credible. The writers simply fell back on Navy SEAL = badass, end of story. This dude was completely unlike Navy Spec War operators in every way. Thus, completely unbelievable and I was so far into eye rolling that the movie lost me. While SEALs aren't brainwashed (as they are quick, independent thinkers), they do become bound to each other in ways not found in everyday life. They are teammates and brothers with the deepest bonds and none are hellbent on any big picture ideas at the expense of their brotherhood. Was being a SEAL officer (USNA grad) supposed to mean he was somehow more of a badass or intellectual giant than an enlisted man? He was barely old enough to be such a veteran and would have been mid-career, still active duty. ...Such a load of horseshit writing, as his language was nothing like anyone I have ever known who was a SEAL or product of an officer program. He was more hood-gangsta than pro-snake eater and the all-black audience ate it up, which I suppose is good for ticket sales but an insult to SEAL culture. Black males in specialized military programs are well adjusted uncomplicated dudes who fit into their peer groups defined by job culture. So...good motivational story, non-credible resume. Antman's villian (Darren Cross/Yellowjacket, Corey Stoll), sucked similarly (motivation with no credibility), so Marvel needs to fix this with its bad guys.

- There was a tinge of black is better than white in that a part of Killmonger's motivation was racial injustice and the script mentioned the white man's weapons were "primative," which hurt the movie because that shifted it past neutral for no productive reason. Nevermind that the Arabs enslaved about a gazillion more Africans than the Americas or that Africans are still sold into slavery today in the Middle East... it's America that is the bad guy with an American audience. It would have been enough that Killmonger was abandoned and ostracized. Bringing races together in America can't succeed as a push-pull process of winners and losers and incrementally smaller tits for tats. People will need to plant their flags next to the other on neutral ground if it's going to happen at all and they just used Black Panther as a tit for tat instead of a tool to inspire confidence in everyone's future. T'Challa would have been the perfect vehicle for that, but they didn't give him the chance.

IMO, leave your politics at the door and watch the movie for the entertainment value.

I heartily agree with your intent to enjoy movies to the fullest, but...

I can understand how film can guide us unintentionally if we consume it blindly, so media has its consequences. A classic example is Han Solo kissing Princess Leia, uninvited at first but desirable in the end. How many times have you seen that situation replayed in film? Lots. As wide eyes kids (with no politics or whatnot), we all accepted what we saw, but some of us took it as situational with countless intricacies while some of us took it as instructional and how to set up expectations. Thus, a movie or a sum of media, tends to influence potentially unrealistic expectations. Sometimes it works in our favor, much like how sci-fi creates expectations to build and discover. There are unspoken influences in every motion picture that can penetrate our subconscious minds, intentionally or not, for good or bad.

It takes sci-fi to show a potential/fantasy enlightened future. The first interracial kiss on TV on star Trek could be discussed at great length in how we break down norms through story telling. We could get REAL political here.

I heartily agree with your intent to enjoy movies to the fullest, but...

I can understand how film can guide us unintentionally if we consume it blindly, so media has its consequences. A classic example is Han Solo kissing Princess Leia, uninvited at first but desirable in the end. How many times have you seen that situation replayed in film? Lots. As wide eyes kids (with no politics or whatnot), we all accepted what we saw, but some of us took it as situational with countless intricacies while some of us took it as instructional and how to set up expectations. Thus, a movie or a sum of media, tends to influence potentially unrealistic expectations. Sometimes it works in our favor, much like how sci-fi creates expectations to build and discover. There are unspoken influences in every motion picture that can penetrate our subconscious minds, intentionally or not, for good or bad.

That's where being a parent comes in. The movie can create questions for kids, which as parents we can answer to the best of our ability. I welcome questions from my kid, it shows she is bright, observant and willing to question things she is shown.

And as 40y/o conservative, I doubt I am going to be influenced by a movie and its political agenda and I would assume most other ppl won't as well.

IMO it is unfortunate that people can't let their own politics get out of the way of enjoying simple things in life, or see through someone else politics and strip it down to its simple entertainment value.

That's where being a parent comes in. The movie can create questions for kids, which as parents we can answer to the best of our ability. I welcome questions from my kid, it shows she is bright, observant and willing to question things she is shown.

And as 40y/o conservative, I doubt I am going to be influenced by a movie and its political agenda and I would assume most other ppl won't as well.

IMO it is unfortunate that people can't let their own politics get out of the way of enjoying simple things in life, or see through someone else politics and strip it down to its simple entertainment value.

I think one can do both. See the film as entertaining and well made while being mildly annoyed by subtle racial jabs here and there.

I do find it fascinating comparing this thread on LP analyzing the film on its actual motion picture merit, versus FB comments celebrating the movie strictly on racial elements.

I think one can do both. See the film as entertaining and well made while being mildly annoyed by subtle racial jabs here and there.

I do find it fascinating comparing this thread on LP analyzing the film on its actual motion picture merit, versus FB comments celebrating the movie strictly on racial elements.

LP is like Wakanda...superior in every facet yet hidden away from the world... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I saw it twice, once with a group a very liberal thespians and the second time with more casual conservative movie viewers. It was certainly a drastic contrast in reactions...

I do agree with the idea that way too often when it comes to slevery or racial injustice America is painted as the inventor and pinnacle of it, when the facts are quite different. As with a any media, people will read what they want from it, and but Single Seat nailed it with "the black market will buy this right up" and they did as they sold an assload of tickets.

No matter what your views, the only color that matter in this world is green.

A lot conservatives are probably unreasonably bracing themselves for counter injustices with this one while a lot of liberals are mindlessly loving it because not loving it would mean being a bad liberal. Which is sad, because it means the movie can't be fairly evaluated OR genuinely enjoyed.

Do you think maybe you guys are overthinking this movie just slightly? Its a superhero movie based on a comic. Comics are fantasy, it doesnt and really shouldnt always make perfect sense, thats kind of the goal of the medium in general wouldnt you say?

Do you think maybe you guys are overthinking this movie just slightly? Its a superhero movie based on a comic. Comics are fantasy, it doesnt and really shouldnt always make perfect sense, thats kind of the goal of the medium in general wouldnt you say?

Short answer, nope.

Long answer, nope, the goal of comics is not to avoid making perfect sense. The goal is to communicate messages through story telling in a novel setting to attract your interest. Film and comics are art forms like any other, up for critique and a reflection of the artist's take on reality. It needs to make sense in more ways than it doesn't in order for us to be entertained. The more sense they make in a challenging setting, the greater the illusion and the higher the praise.