Just bought and built my first home!

MHaynes772

So I just finished building my first house in March and finally settled into it. I found a contractor with an available lot and picked one of their standard plans. My Dad is a commercial and residential builder so we worked together and tweaked the floor plan just how I'd want it. I pick all the finished, colors, etc. Very stressful but fun at the same time.

Im actually now joining up with my Dad and brother and we are going to start doing custom homes here in Nashville, TN (they are currently based out of Mississippi). But anyway, here are some pictures that were taken on closing day. And then I attached some that are now that I took! Lemme know what ya think!

4bd/4ba 2800sqft shotgun style home

post-5348-1496000770_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000781_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000791_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000795_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000800_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000806_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000812_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000819_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000832_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000837_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000841_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000845_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000852_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000857_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000861_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000869_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000886_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000891_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000898_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000903_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000907_thumb.jpg

post-5348-1496000911_thumb.jpg

Congrats man! Good job, it came out great!

Building is a constant test of willpower to not evicerate the budget.

Appreciate it guys! I am very lucky to have family in the business so nicer choices can stay within budget. Also, many of the things I picked for the house look like more expensive options but are the cheaper alternative. Most can't tell a difference!

congrats, looks great! any tips for a first time builder? I am going to be looking at helping my folks on a farm to build their home.

Love it, looks very neat, great job at keeping it neutral and on everyone's taste, good luck with your new venture.

congrats, looks great! any tips for a first time builder? I am going to be looking at helping my folks on a farm to build their home.

measure 3 times and cut once :P

That looks fantastic, I love it. Awesome work. Pretty cool to work with your father on that project. Enjoy and congratulations!

congratulations on your first home, i'm sure few people could profess to have something so nice for their first.

Good job, im digging the interior! Is the garage out back?

Youll never forget your first house.

Yes, I'll attach a pic below. (It looks ugly as hell in the pic haha. Rainy day and dormant sod) Most of the houses around me just do a completely open carport. I closed the sides and finished the exterior to match the house. Left the one side open in case I have a party or something I want the space.

If you hire a builder, references, references, references!!! Do your research and call those references. Nothing can make a home building experience worse than having a bad builder with even worse communications skills. If you're going to contract it out yourself, just use good subs. GYou get what you pay for in the building business. Pay subs shitty, get shitty work. Pay good subs who know what they're doing, and it can "build itself"

Love it, looks very neat, great job at keeping it neutral and on everyone's taste, good luck with your new venture.

I definitely wanted to try something I hadn't had before and 'all white' is very in right now and it's easy to decorate and get color using furniture. Also, I plan on probably selling and building another within the next 5 years so I wanted to keep resale in mind for it.

congratulations on your first home, i'm sure few people could profess to have something so nice for their first.

I am very fortunate and blessed. I do realize 99% of people's first homes are not what I have. Ive been renting for 10 years and was definitely ready to start putting that money towards a mortgage. I moved from a house I was renting that was built in the 1950's and was falling apart. I am so freaking appreciative of what I have now! Still doesn't feel like mine!

post-5348-1496077261_thumb.jpg

Very nice home and tasteful finishes! Great job!

Out of curiosity, if your father has a company that does residential, why did you hire someone to GC the job for you?

Was it more of a time issue?

Very nice home and tasteful finishes! Great job!

Out of curiosity, if your father has a company that does residential, why did you hire someone to GC the job for you?

Was it more of a time issue?

Timing and at the time he just didn't have the time to deal with it. We thought we picked a good builder but it turned to an absolute nightmare. Live and learn.