Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AllanLambos Lp560 Review
Allan-Herbie
post Jun 19 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5

As many of you know, thanks to the guys at Lamborghini and Beverly Hills Lamborghini Iíve had the pleasure of driving the new Gallardo Lp560 for about a week now. The car in question is a fully loaded Egear with ceramic brakes with approx 5500 well used, and no doubt HARD miles under its belt.

The drive began with picking up the car from Lambo of Beverly Hills and meeting up with Matthew Vazana, their new GM. We sat for abit and discussed how in the future we could all work together to create a better ownership experience for all involved. I have high hopes for what the future will hold and if you havenít been to their new Lambo showroom off of Robertson I highly recommend it.

Now back to the car. Iím far from a journalist and I will do the best I can and of course ask any other questions throughout the thread. One of the things Iíve learned throughout our years on LamboPower is that even though many of us have never met, we have formed friendships and trusts and respect many of each others opinions. For example, I know that when Porter or Acicchelli responds well to a car, I will more than likely share their opinions. Hopefully others feel the same way towards myselfÖ if not F/U!

Visually, the new Lp560 inmo is absolutely stunning. The new front bumper is a work of art and absolutely makes the car. The new rear treatment doesnít make as much of an impact over the previous years as the front bumper does, but it is still an improvement. I especially like the dual exhaust tips on each side. This particular car is green, and although I like the color in my case I think after awhile it would get tiresome and for me, the ideal choice would be white.

The interior is very familiar, didnít really notice too much difference apart from the new dash gauges, silver window buttons, the cup holder, and the CD player. The new I believe its called Q stitching looks great, and the overall feel of everything is exactly the same. It does annoy me that you have to push the window switches UP to open the window, and down to close them. Something that also always reminds itself to me is that the passenger seat in the Gallardoís always feels less comfortable than the drivers seat. Just less room all around, but then again who cares about the passenger. Lastly I think the NAV system is a better version over the previous, but I may be wrong as I never used the NAV in my SE.

Now lets get to the good stuff. EGEAR. I donít know if you become a product of your environment or what, but I can honestly say Iím dreading getting my 6 speed back. I am now a complete EGEAR convert. Driving around here on the streets of L.A. the egear is a complete joy. It makes the car soo much more useable. There was no jerkiness, the feel of the system riding the clutch is gone and you can feel with throttle input that you can modulate the clutch release. I found myself using auto mode a lot, and when you want to play fun is just a click away . Some people will construe the usability factor as taking away some of the fun, or the exotic feel of the car. I think this is where people say the car is too ďAudifiedĒ. Personally inmo its progress and to use someone like Kane00 as an example, his Diablo is virtually useless at this point in L.A. As for sport mode and corsa I found myself using Corsa at all times. If I was going to be out of auto mode, I might as well be in the fastest, hardest shifting mode of all! Why play half assed? The shifts in Corsa are pretty hard and now, as opposed to the early egear, youíd be hard pressed to match the shift times in a manual 6 speed. I can only imagine how much fun this car would be with a twin turbo system!

The brakes. This car has the CCB brakes and to be honest I didnít even notice any difference between them and normal brakes in terms of feel. I did not find them grabby or touchy in anyway. They do make a little bit of noise but then again most lambo brakes do. But when its time to stop this car, it freaking stops NOW.

Motor/exhaust. Again other than when comparing performance ( we will get to that later) and sound I donít see much of a difference. The car runs flawlessly, and with the stock exhaust at highway speeds the car is perfectly quiet, but lay into it and it sounds great! Obviously there are a lot of mechanical differences between the Lp560 and previous Gís, but as far as just driving goes you donít notice those, until of course you put the peddle down. To be honest, if I had a lp560 I donít think id find myself changing the exhaust. At this point in my life Iím liking the quieter things in life and it seems the Gís donít pick up big power with exhaust anyway.

Suspension/handling.. As Iíve said before Iím far from a race car driver and inmo 99.99% of us could never reach this cars limits. We took the car twice out to the canyons and for me, at the speeds I run at it was positively glued to the road. Iím not sure if this car has the track setup or not, but my GTT feels a lot more bouncy. I know they say steering input is improved, turn in, etc but not having a previous G to jump out of , its hard to compare. You just automatically assume it to be great, and that it is.

So whatís leftÖPerformance. Here is where things get kind of crazy for me. I am used to the power of the GTT, my SLR etc. Hard to impress me with all out power. What I will say, is that for the most part in L.A. doesnít matter how much power you have, whether its 500hp, or 1000hp its virtually impossible to use. When I first drove the LP560 a few months back I stated I didnít feel much if any difference from a standard G, and If you simply drove this like I did then, on the streets of L.A. you still wouldnít see a difference. We had to drive over an hour away passed a town called Pt.Mugu ( I think thatís what its called) to get to some abandoned roads that run between fields. Otherwise anywhere around here, good luck going over 60mph. My GTT is going to be totally worthless around these parts.

So how fast is it? Well using the vbox and trying to again use similar testing methods to magazines we filled up the car with gas (91 octane) had 2 people in the car Deuce and myself. Select CorsaÖ shut off ESPÖ.floor the gas, release the brake and the car does everything for you.
0-60mph 3.5
0-100mph 7.7
0-150mph 17.7
ľ mile 11.6@124
60-130 was 8.9

No doubt the car can go abit faster. Just take my fat 200lb ass out of the car, remove 10 gallons of gas, slightly better road conditions etc. The car gets 1.9 60ft times, which arenít that great, on a prepped surface it should get 1.7ís . Combined all that should make inmo for a very low 11sec 125/126mph car. For me now the question begs.. Knowing I could not use the power a stock Lp560 has, how am I ever going to explore the limits of my TT G here. I hope I can make time for events and runs and such because if not it will be totally worthless and the convenience of the new Egear will far out weigh the performance of my car.

So in the end I felt the car was fantastic. My initial impression of the car not being any faster than previous models was off by a mile, and Iím now completely into the Egear. Is there anything I would change? YesÖ.

1. When you sit at a light for awhile, the Egear shifts itself out of 1st gear by itself. It sounds a bell to let you know it did it, but if the radio is up, you never hear it. The first time it did this, we had no idea what happened, I was trying to get the car to go in first gear and it would not. People are honking their horns, yelling etc. Thankfully quickly we figured out you have to hold the paddle in, and clicked into gear and off we went. We were trying to figure out any reason for this, and we didnít see any need. If you donít pay attention at a light, even if you know what to do immediately it takes a few seconds to get the car into gear and it angers other drivers.

2. Going through the canyons, or taking some wider turns while accelerating, you find yourself having to move your hand off the proper steering wheel position to up shift or downshift. If the paddles were connected to the wheel, rather than column this would be much easier. Even if the paddles were bigger and stretched farther along the steering wheel it would alleviate a lot of that.

Other than that, no complaints and I truly feel this is the best car to ever come from Lamborghini and dollar for dollar the best car available today! This car had 5500 miles on it. Hard miles, driven and pounded on by every journalist, used for the recent track day etc, and it had not one squeak, not one rattle etc. Felt good as new. Now Id like to see if the Lp640 will convince me of the same!

Pics are coming!!!

--------------------

87 Countach QV
98 Diablo SV Monterey Edition
02 Murcielago
05 Carrera GT
89 928S4
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pockmark
post Jun 19 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #2

Group: Official LP Member
Member No.: 679

Nice writeup!

I hope I have some time this weekend to do the same after a couple of drives.

--------------------

Mercedes C63s
+Quote Post
jota
post Jun 19 2009, 01:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 468

QUOTE (Allan's Lambo Kills All @ Jun 19 2009, 03:53 PM) *
As many of you know, thanks to the guys at Lamborghini and Beverly Hills Lamborghini Iíve had the pleasure of driving the new Gallardo Lp560 for about a week now. The car in question is a fully loaded Egear with ceramic brakes with approx 5500 well used, and no doubt HARD miles under its belt.

The drive began with picking up the car from Lambo of Beverly Hills and meeting up with Matthew Vazana, their new GM. We sat for abit and discussed how in the future we could all work together to create a better ownership experience for all involved. I have high hopes for what the future will hold and if you havenít been to their new Lambo showroom off of Robertson I highly recommend it.

Now back to the car. Iím far from a journalist and I will do the best I can and of course ask any other questions throughout the thread. One of the things Iíve learned throughout our years on LamboPower is that even though many of us have never met, we have formed friendships and trusts and respect many of each others opinions. For example, I know that when Porter or Acicchelli responds well to a car, I will more than likely share their opinions. Hopefully others feel the same way towards myselfÖ if not F/U!

Visually, the new Lp560 inmo is absolutely stunning. The new front bumper is a work of art and absolutely makes the car. The new rear treatment doesnít make as much of an impact over the previous years as the front bumper does, but it is still an improvement. I especially like the dual exhaust tips on each side. This particular car is green, and although I like the color in my case I think after awhile it would get tiresome and for me, the ideal choice would be white.

The interior is very familiar, didnít really notice too much difference apart from the new dash gauges, silver window buttons, the cup holder, and the CD player. The new I believe its called Q stitching looks great, and the overall feel of everything is exactly the same. It does annoy me that you have to push the window switches UP to open the window, and down to close them. Something that also always reminds itself to me is that the passenger seat in the Gallardoís always feels less comfortable than the drivers seat. Just less room all around, but then again who cares about the passenger. Lastly I think the NAV system is a better version over the previous, but I may be wrong as I never used the NAV in my SE.

Now lets get to the good stuff. EGEAR. I donít know if you become a product of your environment or what, but I can honestly say Iím dreading getting my 6 speed back. I am now a complete EGEAR convert. Driving around here on the streets of L.A. the egear is a complete joy. It makes the car soo much more useable. There was no jerkiness, the feel of the system riding the clutch is gone and you can feel with throttle input that you can modulate the clutch release. I found myself using auto mode a lot, and when you want to play fun is just a click away . Some people will construe the usability factor as taking away some of the fun, or the exotic feel of the car. I think this is where people say the car is too ďAudifiedĒ. Personally inmo its progress and to use someone like Kane00 as an example, his Diablo is virtually useless at this point in L.A. As for sport mode and corsa I found myself using Corsa at all times. If I was going to be out of auto mode, I might as well be in the fastest, hardest shifting mode of all! Why play half assed? The shifts in Corsa are pretty hard and now, as opposed to the early egear, youíd be hard pressed to match the shift times in a manual 6 speed. I can only imagine how much fun this car would be with a twin turbo system!

The brakes. This car has the CCB brakes and to be honest I didnít even notice any difference between them and normal brakes in terms of feel. I did not find them grabby or touchy in anyway. They do make a little bit of noise but then again most lambo brakes do. But when its time to stop this car, it freaking stops NOW.

Motor/exhaust. Again other than when comparing performance ( we will get to that later) and sound I donít see much of a difference. The car runs flawlessly, and with the stock exhaust at highway speeds the car is perfectly quiet, but lay into it and it sounds great! Obviously there are a lot of mechanical differences between the Lp560 and previous Gís, but as far as just driving goes you donít notice those, until of course you put the peddle down. To be honest, if I had a lp560 I donít think id find myself changing the exhaust. At this point in my life Iím liking the quieter things in life and it seems the Gís donít pick up big power with exhaust anyway.

Suspension/handling.. As Iíve said before Iím far from a race car driver and inmo 99.99% of us could never reach this cars limits. We took the car twice out to the canyons and for me, at the speeds I run at it was positively glued to the road. Iím not sure if this car has the track setup or not, but my GTT feels a lot more bouncy. I know they say steering input is improved, turn in, etc but not having a previous G to jump out of , its hard to compare. You just automatically assume it to be great, and that it is.

So whatís leftÖPerformance. Here is where things get kind of crazy for me. I am used to the power of the GTT, my SLR etc. Hard to impress me with all out power. What I will say, is that for the most part in L.A. doesnít matter how much power you have, whether its 500hp, or 1000hp its virtually impossible to use. When I first drove the LP560 a few months back I stated I didnít feel much if any difference from a standard G, and If you simply drove this like I did then, on the streets of L.A. you still wouldnít see a difference. We had to drive over an hour away passed a town called Pt.Mugu ( I think thatís what its called) to get to some abandoned roads that run between fields. Otherwise anywhere around here, good luck going over 60mph. My GTT is going to be totally worthless around these parts.

So how fast is it? Well using the vbox and trying to again use similar testing methods to magazines we filled up the car with gas (91 octane) had 2 people in the car Deuce and myself. Select CorsaÖ shut off ESPÖ.floor the gas, release the brake and the car does everything for you.
0-60mph 3.5
0-100mph 7.7
0-150mph 17.7
ľ mile 11.6@124
60-130 was 8.9

No doubt the car can go abit faster. Just take my fat 200lb ass out of the car, remove 10 gallons of gas, slightly better road conditions etc. The car gets 1.9 60ft times, which arenít that great, on a prepped surface it should get 1.7ís . Combined all that should make inmo for a very low 11sec 125/126mph car. For me now the question begs.. Knowing I could not use the power a stock Lp560 has, how am I ever going to explore the limits of my TT G here. I hope I can make time for events and runs and such because if not it will be totally worthless and the convenience of the new Egear will far out weigh the performance of my car.

So in the end I felt the car was fantastic. My initial impression of the car not being any faster than previous models was off by a mile, and Iím now completely into the Egear. Is there anything I would change? YesÖ.

1. When you sit at a light for awhile, the Egear shifts itself out of 1st gear by itself. It sounds a bell to let you know it did it, but if the radio is up, you never hear it. The first time it did this, we had no idea what happened, I was trying to get the car to go in first gear and it would not. People are honking their horns, yelling etc. Thankfully quickly we figured out you have to hold the paddle in, and clicked into gear and off we went. We were trying to figure out any reason for this, and we didnít see any need. If you donít pay attention at a light, even if you know what to do immediately it takes a few seconds to get the car into gear and it angers other drivers.

2. Going through the canyons, or taking some wider turns while accelerating, you find yourself having to move your hand off the proper steering wheel position to up shift or downshift. If the paddles were connected to the wheel, rather than column this would be much easier. Even if the paddles were bigger and stretched farther along the steering wheel it would alleviate a lot of that.

Other than that, no complaints and I truly feel this is the best car to ever come from Lamborghini and dollar for dollar the best car available today! This car had 5500 miles on it. Hard miles, driven and pounded on by every journalist, used for the recent track day etc, and it had not one squeak, not one rattle etc. Felt good as new. Now Id like to see if the Lp640 will convince me of the same!

Pics are coming!!!

Alan

You mention that at a light it shifts out of gear to neutral. Is this to save the throw out bearing?

Best
+Quote Post
Kisco
post Jun 19 2009, 01:22 PM
Post #4

Group: Lambo Owner
Member No.: 4,974

Nice write up, Allan.

Did the thought of selling your GTT to switch it with a 560 TT w/ an e-gear ever corss your mind?

--------------------

Lamborghini Huracan TT
+Quote Post
Hovik
post Jun 19 2009, 01:33 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,959

QUOTE (Allan's Lambo Kills All @ Jun 19 2009, 03:53 PM) *
1. When you sit at a light for awhile, the Egear shifts itself out of 1st gear by itself. It sounds a bell to let you know it did it, but if the radio is up, you never hear it. The first time it did this, we had no idea what happened, I was trying to get the car to go in first gear and it would not. People are honking their horns, yelling etc. Thankfully quickly we figured out you have to hold the paddle in, and clicked into gear and off we went. We were trying to figure out any reason for this, and we didn’t see any need. If you don’t pay attention at a light, even if you know what to do immediately it takes a few seconds to get the car into gear and it angers other drivers.

It will not come out of gear if you press the break pedal firmly. If you are on a completely flat surface, you might be just touching the pedal without any pressure since the car does not move anyway. Previous E-gear Gallardos do the same thing.

Good review. Must have been nice trashing a factory car around!
+Quote Post
GBGallardo
post Jun 19 2009, 01:44 PM
Post #6

1,250WHP UGR TTG

Group: Multi-Lambo Owner
Member No.: 12,151

I'm afraid to drive one because everyone says how it's in a league of it's own and I know I'll be tempted. I said the same thing how I would always own a 6spd and after the driving the EGEAR it is no doubt more fun and usable every day.

Are you going to consider selling your TT G and getting a 560? Looking forward to the pics! And as far as the Verde, you just hate the fact that you're stuck with a banana in your garage icon_mrgreen.gif
+Quote Post
scrockel
post Jun 19 2009, 01:49 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 14,662

I can't believe someone who had a manual actually liked the Egear!! Finally!! I think it's cool and fun ..... wink.gif
+Quote Post
infometix
post Jun 19 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 19,757

I don't even want to get in one until I am ready to buy one. Don't want to be tempted. Thanks for the write up, I can't wait to see the pics!
+Quote Post
Deuce
post Jun 19 2009, 01:59 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Group: LPower VIP
Member No.: 11,463

I must say that in my experience, LP560 has to be the best Lamborghini to come out of the factory to date! I had the chance to be there for most of the testing Allan did with the car and I was absolutely amazed at what a magnificent machine Lambo has produced! All the bugs are out, the refinement is fantastic and the usability is better than ever!

Here are a few shots of the car, more will be updated soon! Hopefully the photo quality came out since the files had to be minimized in order to upload on the site. Please click on the thumbnails!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_0013.jpg ( 1.69MB ) Number of downloads: 99
Attached File  IMG_0033.jpg ( 1.74MB ) Number of downloads: 114
Attached File  IMG_0021.jpg ( 1.4MB ) Number of downloads: 103
Attached File  IMG_0038.jpg ( 1.73MB ) Number of downloads: 124
Attached File  IMG_0043.jpg ( 1.33MB ) Number of downloads: 115
Attached File  IMG_0048.jpg ( 1.46MB ) Number of downloads: 116
Attached File  IMG_0146.jpg ( 1.76MB ) Number of downloads: 117
Attached File  IMG_0148.jpg ( 1.33MB ) Number of downloads: 101
Attached File  IMG_0149.jpg ( 1.15MB ) Number of downloads: 107
Attached File  IMG_0153.jpg ( 1.79MB ) Number of downloads: 103
Attached File  IMG_0156.jpg ( 1.35MB ) Number of downloads: 113

--------------------

Drinking, gambling and women
Stealin' hearts and playin' with guns!

Facebook - Instagram
+Quote Post
UTCOBRAS
post Jun 19 2009, 02:03 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,083

On the e-gear can you pull both paddles as you roll to a stop and put it in neutral? On the F1 you can and I like to drive it that way. Coming up to a red light I like to put it in neutral and then just pull the paddle for first as the light turns. You just have to remember to keep your foot on the brake.

Seems like everyone that drives the 560 loves it.

+Quote Post
Deuce
post Jun 19 2009, 02:04 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Group: LPower VIP
Member No.: 11,463

QUOTE (UTCOBRAS @ Jun 19 2009, 02:03 PM) *
On the e-gear can you pull both paddles as you roll to a stop and put it in neutral? On the F1 you can and I like to drive it that way. Coming up to a red light I like to put it in neutral and then just pull the paddle for first as the light turns. You just have to remember to keep your foot on the brake.

Seems like everyone that drives the 560 loves it.

Yes you can!

--------------------

Drinking, gambling and women
Stealin' hearts and playin' with guns!

Facebook - Instagram
+Quote Post
Mr. Vroom
post Jun 19 2009, 02:11 PM
Post #12

Worlds Fastest Gallardo Pilot

Member No.: 8,198

Nice write up. I test drove a LP the other week and also thoroughly enjoyed it. A huge improvement over the original G. Another plus that Allan didn't mention is low rpm cruising is very smooth compared to a G, which tends to lug and also has an annoying resonating sound at around 2k rpm. The LP pulls a lot stronger, has more torque down low, which is useful if you are stuck in heavy traffic.
+Quote Post
DRS
post Jun 19 2009, 02:55 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 9,351

I just recently visited the land of porter and rulambru for a night, and had the chance to get my butt into an LP560 for the first time (rulambru's).

Similarly equipped....egear, CCB's etc.

-I 100% agree, this car is light years ahead of the Murci and gallardo IMO....I believe the corsa mode and perhaps some undeclared ponies hiding under the hood (I think lambo is def. underrating this car) really elevate the performance of the car.

-I personally found the interior nicer than previous gallardo's but this could just be the optioning of his particular model.

-great review allan...I 100% agree, best car Lambo has produced.

--------------------

Why do Prius owners give me such dirty looks ?
+Quote Post
600600again
post Jun 19 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 10,075

Nice write up.

So is the interior larger than the previous G?
+Quote Post
Chipster
post Jun 19 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 3,902

Very detailed write up. I agree that I can tell what cars interest me by seeing what other frequent members think.

--------------------

15 Toyota Tundra Platinum -7" BDS, FUEL wheels and 37s, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP
16 Prius C Persona Edition
74 Jaguar XJ6 British Racing Green over tan
66 Ford Mustang Coupe - Restomod PROJECT
SOLD: 91 Diablo - 19/19" Work VS - SP Eng Intakes - Fabspeed, 05 Gallardo - 6 speed, Arancio Borealis, Tubi exhaust, SL wing, 560 bumper, Bagged 67 Cadillac DeVille Coupe, 13 Harley Road Glide Custom - 30" wheel, air ride, 07 Suzuki Hayabusa - 330mm rear, lowered, Eclipse wheels
+Quote Post
porter
post Jun 19 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #16

LP Resident Ninja
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,428

Very good write-up Allan. A few points:

1. Where the hell is the cup holder? I didn't know I had one. I'm going to go out to the garage and check.

2. I do the same thing all the time at lights regarding the 1st gear to N issue. It happens only if insufficient (or no) brake pressure is being applied to the pedal. It's easy for it to happen when you're talking, listening to the Ipod, mind wandering, etc. I believe it will not happen if you are firmly standing on the brake.

3. Agree on the e-gear praise. Lambo got it right with this transmission. No bucking anymore. If there is any city driving at all, egear in A mode is a must.

4. In the other dyno thread someone quoted the crank HP numbers. I believe it was as high as 605HP (?) which is incredible. At first blush I too thought the 560 was not a ton quicker than late model Gs, but when there is opportunity to really get on the throttle the car comes alive in a huge way and there is absolutely, positively, 110% no comparison to any other year of Gallardo.

5. Also agree on the stock exhaust issue. No offense to DWiggs as I know he is in search of the loudest car possible but as I get older I too want something tame at slower speeds and that only howls at WOT. That's how the 560 is and it's perfect.

Again very good write-up. Still waiting for photo of you with elbow out the window.
+Quote Post
Diablo_4_Ever
post Jun 19 2009, 04:21 PM
Post #17

The Dutchie

Member No.: 230

Great write up
+Quote Post
Suscipiet
post Jun 19 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 12,801

QUOTE (porter @ Jun 19 2009, 05:54 PM) *
Very good write-up Allan. A few points:

1. Where the hell is the cup holder? I didn't know I had one. I'm going to go out to the garage and check.

Far back on the center console.
+Quote Post
Allan-Herbie
post Jun 19 2009, 05:59 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 5

I cannot tell you how much I loved the auto feature. i drove the car 99.99% of the time in Auto.

--------------------

87 Countach QV
98 Diablo SV Monterey Edition
02 Murcielago
05 Carrera GT
89 928S4
+Quote Post
GBGallardo
post Jun 19 2009, 06:01 PM
Post #20

1,250WHP UGR TTG

Group: Multi-Lambo Owner
Member No.: 12,151

QUOTE (Allan's Lambo Kills All @ Jun 19 2009, 08:59 PM) *
I cannot tell you how much I loved the auto feature. i drove the car 99.99% of the time in Auto.

It must be a 100x different than a regular G because mine shifts at like 2k...I've only ever done it once to try.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th August 2018 - 06:48 PM

> Our Sponsors

your alt tag your alt tag' your alt tag' your alt tag