4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Diablo SE30, The ultimate gentlemen racer diablo
qvpower
post Jul 2 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Lambo Owner
Member No.: 229

Many have grown over the years to like the diablo series. But my favorite is the se30(um... I have my reasons). I view the diablo se30 as the ultimate and raciest diablo of the series. The departure for the se30 apart from any diablo is the fact of its purpose. Consider it the GT2 of the Lamborghini diablo lineup. Built with the intent to be put for racing purposes, almost every aspect of the diablo was purposefully reworked to be race ready. As with any race car, the enemy is weight. And with the se30, it was no different.

On the exterior, lightweight windows were installed and converted the se30 to have the same philosophy of the countach.... which poses the question of "What windows?" The motor from the standard diablo windows were eliminated, reducing further weight. Wheels are made of magnesium by O.Z to lower the weight over the standard 3 piece wheels. In fact, the se30 wheels are even lighter than the 6.0 magnesium wheel due to their higher magnesium content. The brake hubs are purposefully drilled to reduce unsprung weight further. As with the transmission section. Various auxiliary parts have been redesign to shed less weight. The engine covers and intake manifolds are recasted in lighter weight alloys to reduce further weight. The front bumper has been revised to have a longer nose with eye lash features similar to the miura along with an emblem that reputed as been sourced from miura emblem. The rear engine lid has been redesigned to have better aero shape and also tie in with the miura's rear design.

Interior wise, the se30 was dressed to impress, specifically to a gentleman racer. Majority of the interior has been redone in dry carbon. Dry carbon is a material used in F1 and achieves lighter weight than a standard wet carbon. The cost for dry carbon is twice as expensive as regular wet carbon... Even the one piece seats normally used on the diablo are now done in dry carbon. Virtually all the interior pieces are done in this material apart from dash.. Inside, the car is suprisingly accomodating and larger than expected( I am 5'7 ..smile.gif) There are virtually no crazy electronics per say on this vehicle.

Handling wise, the se30 provide a level of adjustments that fit very well with the overall character of the vehicle. One feature that impresses is the in cockpit antiroll bar adjustment feature. This allowed the se30 to be "tuned" in terms of handling by a flick of a lever. Another feature was the availability of a traction control system which cuts the power to the wheels under wet conditions. The brakes on the car do leave more to be desired. However, given the weight of the vehicle and the feel of the brakes, spirited driving is sufficient. However, it would be best to upgrade the brembo brakes used by Mclaren F1 if there is a need for more braking performance.

Performance wise, the engine of the se30 is rated at 525 hp, benefiting from the reworked cams different valves. While the engine is only slightly more powerful than a standard diablo, the slashing of overall weight guarantees a great power/weight combo that keeps acceleration brisk.

Driving impressions:

The vehicle starts up with no drama and keeps at around 1200-1500 rpm to warm up. Once that cycle is completed, the engine cycles downward on rpms. To enter the vehicle, open the doors, which are fairly lighweight compared to a standard diablo, put your butt on the sills, and swing in, lifting your arse in the process. Once you are in, you are in, you will notice the complete absence of big bulky airbag steering wheel. It is adorned by a nice racing wheel with a cover that holds a emblem in place. Once you fire it up, you will notice how quiet it is. This is probably due to the big loaf of metallic muffler sitting in the back. Once this exhaust has been replaced however, you are greeting with a wonderful roar.

Rear vision to any mid engine lambo has been poor, and this diablo stays true to that tradition. The miura inspired engine lid does a wonderful job of letting you see rear traffic through the eyes of max headroom with those blind type shades. At night , you have to be very careful as the combination of car height and engine lid design creates a wonderful blinding brightness when there is a car in back of you. Good thing the rear view mirror flips up to lessen this effect. The gear shift is stiff, especially when pushing down for reverse. Backing up is an utter nighmare and a chore that prompts the driver to rather circle around the block than to back up. But hey, no one rarely backs up on a race car....

Once you have gotten over the reverse hurdle, you've now got another hurdle. Getting the car out of the driveway or exit ramp. On the Niagra fall type ramps, be prepared to drive into oncoming entering traffic and hogging the space until you can almost parallel slide out of the ramp. In some cases, you need to reverse the car in order to provide the adequate "angle of attack" You almost have to go back to school for geometry to perform exit procedures on this car... In many cases, you can not drive the car fast on streets due to the fact you will be playing dip lotto. If you hit the street dip jackpot, prepare to replace the bumper. If you get a 5 out of 6 numbers, the rubber lip needs to go... YES its that low.

But once you are on a level road or highway, driving karma awaits you. The power steering feels light but nicely weighted. The steering feel of this car is comparable to a good condom. Not too desensitizing and not too thin with too much feel... Just right and comfortable that makes you want more. The gear shift on the other hand demands a firm hand. But at the same time, somehow shifted properly promotes confidence. This is very similar in feel to the countach. Going through some nice twisties elevate your senses as you can feel the road and nimbleness of the car all come into play. The se30 really creates the man/machine bond that so many sports car manufacturers strive for. This lightness of the vehicle certain has done much to elevate this sensation.

This sensation is of course carried over to the acceleration. The car seems to love revs. It almost feels like it wants to eg you on to go more and more until you realize you need to move to the next gear. When accelerating, the car doesnt feel refined. It feels brutish, uncivilized and so visceral that it feels faster than even the later generation diablos. But when looking at the speedo, you would be slightly disappointed your not going as fast it seems.... It feels almost as though it is like a roller coaster ride, all the thrills but still working within safety parameters. The powerband almost feel camish as by 4000 rpm, it changes into a banshee like scream with a crescendo only to be matched again in another gear. The driving experience is truly grin inducing and a great satisfying experience. It is perhaps not the fastest diablo of the series, but it wins hands down in terms of delivering an experience not easily forgotten.

So if you are good in geometry and you can live with the quirks of the vehicle, the low ride height, and seeking to have a great thrilling experience this side of getting a racing diablo, the se30 is it.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Allan-Herbie
post Jul 2 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5

What about the brakes?

--------------------

87 Countach QV
98 Diablo SV Monterey Edition
02 Murcielago
05 Carrera GT
+Quote Post
qvpower
post Jul 2 2009, 04:18 PM
Post #3

edited smile.gif
+Quote Post
Diablo_4_Ever
post Jul 2 2009, 04:41 PM
Post #4

The Dutchie

Group: Official LP Member
Member No.: 230

Great write up. The SE has all the characteristics that I like about sportscars (rwd, light weight, limited edition, etc).. And without a doubt it's the best looking car ever made. They should have gotten rid of the radio and a/c as well to reduce weight, the original prototypes had this. Another interesting fact about the SE that most people don't know, is that you could order the car with a roll cage installed, to make it even more a racecar for the road.
+Quote Post
Allan-Herbie
post Jul 2 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 5

SE is a great car, for me the downfall is the brakes and lack of windows. Otherwise the most collectible Diablo.

--------------------

87 Countach QV
98 Diablo SV Monterey Edition
02 Murcielago
05 Carrera GT
+Quote Post
Placid
post Jul 2 2009, 06:22 PM
Post #6

No mo' Diablo

Member No.: 2,125

Nice writeup! icon_super.gif

--------------------

If it works, don't fix it!!
+Quote Post
Diablo_4_Ever
post Jul 3 2009, 06:09 AM
Post #7

The Dutchie

Member No.: 230

QUOTE (Allan's Lambo Kills All @ Jul 3 2009, 02:48 AM) *
SE is a great car, for me the downfall is the brakes and lack of windows. Otherwise the most collectible Diablo.

That's why several SE have been upgraded with McLaren F1 Brembo brakes
+Quote Post
lucky30sedriver
post Jul 3 2009, 09:25 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,669

Agree brakes are hairy but that just adds to the excitement,and if by excitement you think I mean something in your pants well you would be right!!
+Quote Post
post Jul 3 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #9

Likes being vague

Member No.: 5,909

QUOTE (qvpower @ Jul 2 2009, 03:21 PM) *
So if you are good in geometry and you can live with the quirks of the vehicle, the low ride height, and seeking to have a great thrilling experience this side of getting a racing diablo, the se30 is it.

Dom...will you please drive your car so that I can win our bet.

I will meet you at La Kaffa.

Wo yao bai xian gua liew cha da bei do bing quay.... laugh.gif
+Quote Post
qvpower
post Jul 3 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (92677 @ Jul 3 2009, 10:52 AM) *
Dom...will you please drive your car so that I can win our bet.

I will meet you at La Kaffa.

Wo yao bai xian gua liew cha da bei do bing quay.... laugh.gif

What language is that???? LOL.. Seriously I dont understand it..... I cant drive my car since I havent been brushing up on my geometry....LOL... Your a good numbers guy. DO it... Officially, I release you from the bet... have fun smile.gif

OH! I got it! one cup of passionfruit ice tea with lots of ice? LOL..
+Quote Post
qvpower
post Jul 3 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Allan's Lambo Kills All @ Jul 2 2009, 05:48 PM) *

Yes. Most definitely. I would have rather they made SE with a roll down window than the little crank style ones that do nothing for you. But then again, italians are funny like that... They probably think that since original se were not with a/c, perhaps they should at least have some window opening... lol. I think though to be fair on that issue. There have been other cars that escaped scrutiny on this.... I think ultimately, italians are a quirky bunch..LOL.. The brakes though were decent during those times... but of course not now...
Attached File(s)
Attached File  2830_1.jpg ( 182.37K ) Number of downloads: 117

+Quote Post
qvpower
post Jul 3 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Diablo_4_Ever @ Jul 2 2009, 04:41 PM) *
Great write up. The SE has all the characteristics that I like about sportscars (rwd, light weight, limited edition, etc).. And without a doubt it's the best looking car ever made. They should have gotten rid of the radio and a/c as well to reduce weight, the original prototypes had this. Another interesting fact about the SE that most people don't know, is that you could order the car with a roll cage installed, to make it even more a racecar for the road.

I am not so sure abou the a/c....LOL. IT is not fun to drive the se30 without a/c, espeically with the small windows.
+Quote Post
ralfabco
post Jul 3 2009, 01:11 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 138

Dominic

Very nice write up.

Yes, the brakes are not the best, given the performance potential of the car. When I started up the car, it would idle up and down like a clock going back and forth - 1,000 rpms - 1,200 and back to 1,000 and then back up. I understand, this is a characteristic of all the SE 30 autos. The rubber strip on the front fascia, is difficult to keep on the car. It scrapes the cement all the time. I had to put huge wooden boards over the driveway(when I took it out), in an effort to try and keep the front fascia trim strip from being scraped to death, while pulling it out of the garage.

With only 25 cars produced for sale in the U.S., it will always be a special Diablo. I always liked the small windows ! These cars really exploded in value, during the Summer of 06. Lamborghini will never produce a focused decontented car like this again. The Diablo GT, was the last of the last.

--------------------

GSX 1300R, Hayabusa (...the unrestricted model)

...the most badass and raw factory car, that was ever released from Sant'Agata Bolognese
+Quote Post
TheFilipinoStig
post Jul 3 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #14

Resident Raptor Game Warden

Member No.: 6,125

Thanks for the write-up! Very enjoyable to read.

I can't imagine the car being that low, nor being without a front lift system. Very brave for driving that car.

--------------------

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” - Hemingway
+Quote Post
emilio
post Jul 3 2009, 03:30 PM
Post #15

Group: Multi-Lambo Owner
Member No.: 4,328

QUOTE (ralfabco @ Jul 3 2009, 12:11 PM) *
had to put huge wooden boards over the driveway(when I took it out), in an effort to try and keep the front fascia trim strip from being scraped to death, while pulling it out of the garage.

Ralph,
i really hope you have kept them....they will be usefull again for your other car rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Placid
post Jul 4 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #16

No mo' Diablo

Member No.: 2,125

QUOTE (qvpower @ Jul 3 2009, 10:44 PM) *
They probably think that since original se were not with a/c,

Mine has a/c eusa_think.gif
I thought most of them did?

I need to brush up on my geometry too, picking up my car next week eusa_dance.gif

--------------------

If it works, don't fix it!!
+Quote Post
qvpower
post Jul 4 2009, 11:38 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (Placid @ Jul 4 2009, 10:32 AM) *
Mine has a/c eusa_think.gif
I thought most of them did?

I need to brush up on my geometry too, picking up my car next week eusa_dance.gif

Yes production ones do have it. But originally it was to be an option.... So imagine on a hot day without an ac... and those small windows.... I think the purpose of the windows was that if it was going to be used for racing, they could put a vent hose that channels air from outside into the cockpit. I find a similarity to the CT and find it interesting. I guess thats why so many people love guys driving CT. They are so friendly since they are always waving hi. In fact thats because they are sticking their hand out to channel some cooler air into the cockpit...LOL.
+Quote Post
kane00
post Jul 13 2009, 02:57 PM
Post #18

Lambo Owner
Group Icon

Group: LPower VIP
Member No.: 3,504

A couple of new pictures of my sister car owned by Christian here on LP.

I will add a full Jota analysis soon as well.

Attached File  IMAGE_015.jpg ( 912.78K ) Number of downloads: 158

Attached File  IMAGE_017.jpg ( 801.41K ) Number of downloads: 143
+Quote Post
Joe-Trojan
post Jul 13 2009, 09:21 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 4,147

beautiful pics, can't wait for the write up
+Quote Post
Kevin2772
post Jul 14 2009, 07:40 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 9,632

Whats christians screen name on here Keith?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th February 2018 - 11:28 PM

> Our Sponsors

your alt tag