2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 360 Vs. Gallardo- one month of driving, impressions
joebiz
post Nov 1 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Lambo Owner
Member No.: 22,477

First I will say that comparing these cars to one another ultimately does little service to either one. Both cars are done a disservice by comparing or contrasting their unique benefits or features- despite their national heritage and clearly coveted ownership.

Most of the comparisons Iíve seen are Gallardo Vs. F430. Perhaps the 430 is a more appropriate car to compare to the Gallardo, but the 430 is a hefty premium. I cannot afford the luxury of buying a brand new Ferrari Ė and a new Gallardo is equally out of touch. I generally keep my cars 1 to 1.5 years and I feel so blessed to have a wife who lets me buy and sell exotics Ė so Iím left comparing what I can afford and that comparison, today, is my 1999 360 and my new (to me) 04 Gallardo E-gear. The bottom line is that the Gallardo and the 360 are pretty well the same price these days, where as a 430 is still substantially higher.

The cars:

1999 Ferrari 360 Coupe.
Purchased May, 2008
18,000 miles when I bought it, 30,000 today
6-speed
NART blue

2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
Purchased Sept 28, 2009
22,212 miles, 23,800 today
E-gear 6-speed
Blue Metallic

Aesthetics:

Iíll start with the least objective- the way the cars strike me. I believe that the 360 is Ferrariís best looking car to date. That said, it is starting to get a little dated in 2009. The curves of the car blend past and future and with the sexiest quarter panels in the business itís hard to not like the 360. The Lamborghini strikes me as, well, quite honestly just a little boring. It straddles the line of completely over the top and functionally fit. The mirrors look strange to me. The hood line is abbreviated and it seems very much like something that Sears, or Startrek would design- but not both.

Interior Aesthetics: Lamborghini wins by a country mile. More on the ergos, but from a simple spot check, I donít see how anyone could rightfully argue that the Ferrari has a better looking interior.

WINNER: Tie.

Fit and Finish:

I am not completely in awe of either carís fit and finish. I am impressed with how well the Ferrari has taken the 30,000 hard miles Iíve handed out to her. All except a few of the body panels have taken abuse well. The front bumper has some issues, as most of the exotics have on the lower valence but all told the F-car has held together well.

The Lamborghini, I suppose time will tell but it is built like a german car. All of the fittings, bolts, screws, alignment pins etc all seem a+ quality. The interior trim is amazing. Iím not sure if this particular VIN has upgraded interior components or not. The hood has some weird stuff going on and the rear bonnet is slightly misaligned but other than that the F&F seems spot on.

Winner: Lambo by a slim margin.

Grumblings:

The Ferrari had a Tubi exhaust and the Gallardo is stock. At first glance, the Ferrari should have it locked up- but not so fast. I drive my cars daily, or at least very frequently and the low (relatively) ound levels are well appreciated . But, nothing comes close a Ferrari at full wail in a tunnel. Practicality be damned. The lambo has a very sewing machine precise sound up top and very raspy and well worn @ startup. Where as the Ferrari screams from 9am until sheís partked.

Winner: Ferrari, by the largest of margins.

Interior ergos, electronics.

This isnít a fair comparison whatsoever. My Gallardo has a computer/entertainment/info device that does everything. To name a few AM/FM/CD/HDradio/Sirius and itís got a DVD player and full navigation system built in. Thereís a highly advanced tire pressure monitoring system and back-up sensors on the rear. The car has a F&R HD camera system setup that links and archives the speed so if one-time 5.0 wants to give me a rotten case I just download the audio, video and time-location stamped file and hand it to my attorney. Thereís also built in laser, radar and some sort of jamming device or something in the front air dam. The sound system is well installed and sounds great. Bluetooth etc. Where as the Ferrari has a CD player.

The lambo is comfy on a long drive and reasonably well sized for two adults. The Ferrari seems to have a slight edge on interior space. The passenger seat on the Gallardo I think is broken- the lumbar bolster is in a fixed position.

Winner: Ferrari isnít competing in this event.

E-gear vs. 6-speed.

Brunettes and Blondes. Synthetic oil and dinosaur oil. Republicans and Democrats. Outside of converting power into motion, these two things are not like the other. My only complaint on the e-gear is that launching it seems to take a lot more brain power and attention than I would like. The 6-speed of the Ferrari and itís tell-tale whine are heavenly. I am displeased with the E-gear all around.

Winner: Ferrari 6-speed, for now. Let me learn how to drive it first.

Powertrain:
This is a tough one. The V10 of the Lamborghini feels very M5ish to me. Itís so smooth and quiet that itís again- almost boring. The power delivery is good, it only feels anemic in the lowest rpm range. The 360 and G perform equally well under all of the circumstances that I will drive. Thereís an argument to be made that the 6-speed is a better commuter than the E-gear. The Ferrari inspires confidence- the Lambo inspires awe.

Winner: Tie, slight nod to the Ferrari

Overall performance: no debate

Winner: Lambo

Overall I am really happy with the Gallardo, the Ferrari is a great automobile but I feel that you really pay a premium for the name badge. The good news is that all of these cars are coming WAY down in price and they are becoming much more affordable to buy and own!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  20091101_1423.jpg ( 158.42K ) Number of downloads: 169

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
joebiz
post Nov 1 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #2

Here' the 360
Attached File(s)
Attached File  attachment.jpg ( 48.05K ) Number of downloads: 11

+Quote Post
porter
post Nov 1 2009, 07:58 PM
Post #3

LP Resident Ninja
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,428

Joe I'm going to move your review to the Tried and Tested section.
+Quote Post
TheFilipinoStig
post Nov 1 2009, 08:57 PM
Post #4

Resident Raptor Game Warden

Group: Official LP Member
Member No.: 6,125

Thanks for the write-up, very unbiased. Perhaps an 06/07 6-speed Gallardo with LOC exhaust would fit your "needs" of both cars? Nice blues, too btw.

--------------------

ďThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.Ē - Hemingway
+Quote Post
DickSimmons
post Nov 1 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #5

Resident cynic

Member No.: 16,265

Nice buy. I'm with you on the miles thing. The more the better IMO.

--------------------

The Richard Lewis Routine gets old
+Quote Post
Blackberry
post Nov 2 2009, 12:24 AM
Post #6

23 y/o entreprenuer

Member No.: 20,441

What a deal with the G!!!

Can I ask where you bought it??
+Quote Post
cablesurge
post Nov 2 2009, 09:52 AM
Post #7

Group: LP Member
Member No.: 22,465

Haved owned a 2003 360 modena and currently driving a 2007 Gallardo Spyder. Not really fair comparison though, as you mentioned earlier, it is definitely a more fair comparison between the F430 and the Gallardo.

I must admit that the 360 is a amazing car. It has got a character of its own, and till date, the car still looks great and sounds great. Although i still feel that the best sounding Ferrari is still the F355s. Even the F430s dont sound as good as the 360s or 355s.

Having said that, driving both cars are very different. The turning radius of the Gallardo is horrible and the clearance is so bad. Ever so often i am inching down slopes and over humps which bothers me alot. My 360 never did have any problems. I really feel that the 360 Modena is a lot more practical for daily driving.

Handling wise, the gallardo feels a lot more firm and solid around corners. It holds on well to the lines, whereas the 360 modena seems a little too twitchy for my liking. It has a tendency to oversteer.

Given a chance, I would definitely like to own a F458. It seems like a amazing car!!! Next in queue!!! But in the meantime, i am enjoying my Gallardo Spyder!!!
+Quote Post
joebiz
post Nov 2 2009, 10:05 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (cablesurge @ Nov 2 2009, 08:52 AM) *
Haved owned a 2003 360 modena and currently driving a 2007 Gallardo Spyder. Not really fair comparison though, as you mentioned earlier, it is definitely a more fair comparison between the F430 and the Gallardo.

I must admit that the 360 is a amazing car. It has got a character of its own, and till date, the car still looks great and sounds great. Although i still feel that the best sounding Ferrari is still the F355s. Even the F430s dont sound as good as the 360s or 355s.

Having said that, driving both cars are very different. The turning radius of the Gallardo is horrible and the clearance is so bad. Ever so often i am inching down slopes and over humps which bothers me alot. My 360 never did have any problems. I really feel that the 360 Modena is a lot more practical for daily driving.

Handling wise, the gallardo feels a lot more firm and solid around corners. It holds on well to the lines, whereas the 360 modena seems a little too twitchy for my liking. It has a tendency to oversteer.

Given a chance, I would definitely like to own a F458. It seems like a amazing car!!! Next in queue!!! But in the meantime, i am enjoying my Gallardo Spyder!!!

I'd love to get my hands on a 458. Best looking car Ferrari has ever made, IMHO. IF that car looks half as good in person, in "production" mode I think Ferrari has eclipsed the all-time high of design.
+Quote Post
57udl3y
post Nov 2 2009, 10:26 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 16,783

thanks for the great write up, both amazing cars glad you enjoy them a lot

--------------------

ďThings always end badly. Otherwise, they wouldnít end.Ē
+Quote Post
arenared
post Nov 2 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 20,855

Thanks for your perspectives on comparing these two carsand taking the time to write them!
+Quote Post
Gilligan740
post Nov 2 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #11

ColumbusCarsandCoffee.com

Member No.: 10,945

Cool write-up, thanks for taking the time! Both are beautiful cars, enjoy them in good health. I recommend getting an exhuast on the Gallardo. All of the Gallardos that I've been around with a Tubi, Quicksilver, or other straight pipe system sound incredible versus the stock setup. That may help the Lamborghini in the sound department.

--------------------

Audi R8 V10 Spyder
Audi A6 3.0T
+Quote Post
E7ITE
post Nov 2 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 10,638

Great write-up, thanks!

I'm sure it's been said before, but I cant believe the prices you guys pay over in the US for exotics crybaby2.gif
+Quote Post
Fortis
post Nov 3 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Group: LPower VIP
Member No.: 7,524

You need an exhaust on the G.
+Quote Post
Brennan
post Nov 11 2009, 12:32 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 22,618

QUOTE (Fortis @ Nov 3 2009, 12:33 AM) *
You need an exhaust on the G.

this for sure. I do not own one but have heard both side by side and Tubi's sound absolutely amazing screaming in the RPMs in a G
+Quote Post
jeainat
post Nov 11 2009, 04:36 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,094

Even I like Ferrari a lot, I would much rather own a Gallardo than a 360.

--------------------

Jeainat
+Quote Post
jpohl402
post Nov 11 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,748

Thanks for the write-up
+Quote Post
Lambomad
post Nov 11 2009, 02:08 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 22,164

I have driven both, I would take the Lambo any day of the week (BUT I actually liked the 360 when it was new, and it is still a decent ride). Gallardo needs an exhaust.

--------------------

Lambomad
+Quote Post
GBGallardo
post Nov 19 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #18

1,250WHP UGR TTG

Group: Multi-Lambo Owner
Member No.: 12,151

Congrats! Time for an exhaust.
+Quote Post
sprite
post Nov 20 2009, 02:35 AM
Post #19

V1P

Group: Multi-Lambo Owner
Member No.: 8,895

Nice car smile.gif

--------------------

Luck isn't some mystical energy that dances around the universe randomly bestowing people with satisfaction and joy, we create our own luck.

'18 Lamborghini Huracan LP 610-4 Spyder [Verde Mantis]
'16 Porsche GT3RS
'17 Dodge Viper ACR Extreme [Black w/Silver Stripes]
'18 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk [Black]

Sold: '96 Dodge Viper RT/10, '05 Dodge Ram SRT-10 TT, '05 Lamborghini Gallardo, '06 Lamborghini Murcielago, '06 Corvette Zee-06, '06 Ford GT, '07 Ferrari F430 Spider, '08 Lamborghini Gallardo SLTT, '08 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, '13 Nissan GTR, '13 McLaren MP4-12C Spider, '12 Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 SL, '15 Huracan LP610-4 Coupe, '10 Lamborghini Murcielago LP 670-4 SV
+Quote Post
ralfabco
post Dec 16 2009, 09:15 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 138

Nice write up. Someone mentioned the sound of the 355. Yes, the 355 does sound good. A buyer who is considering either the 355 or 360, should read about the mechanical upkeep issues with the 355. I understand the 360 6-speed, is a lot less money to maintain when comparing it to the 355 6-speed. With both cars out of warranty, make sure to stay away from the F-1.

I assume the 2004/05 Porsche 996 GT3, is better than both of these cars (360 and G) ?

Of course, the GT3, is a track monster.

A nice 996 GT2, can be purchased for a little more, than the typical 360 Coupe and Gallardo. The GT2, brings low production #'s and true modern supercar performance. A nice stock GT2, is also a collectors car, that will not lose any more money.

--------------------

GSX 1300R, Hayabusa (...the unrestricted model)

...the most badass and raw factory car, that was ever released from Sant'Agata Bolognese
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2018 - 12:45 PM

> Our Sponsors

your alt tag your alt tag' your alt tag' your alt tag