Where to purchase battery for Murci

Camel Toe Juice

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Gasman, what size Sears battery fits an 03?

Called the local Sears store and they dont have Lamborgini in their system...

Take the battery to the store to match it up.

Not trying to play the expert here, but I learned the hard way with Lambo batteries... and I am an electrical engineer, which helps. (a chemical engineer would know much more on this topic though)

Optima batteries:

Great design and marketing idea, and perform better than many batteries... however, once the battery goes low once it's usually ruined. This is because of the chemical change that happens in a battery when it is brought down low... most batteries can go through the chemical change back just fine, but with the optima construction pockets of the magic sauce inside are formed from improper re-charging/burping from the low condition. If you have an Optima that goes too low to start the car, the best thing to do is to very slowly bring the battery back up above low by connecting it to another battery as if you are jump starting the car... after a couple hours then you can bring it back up the rest of the way with the alternator on the car or a charger.

Die Hard platinum:

The posts are tin coated, so no nasty stuff growing on the terminals and bad connections / better materials are used in manfacturing the battery resulting in a product with consistent quality / design that is more forgiving than other batteries when brought down low (this isnt good for any car battery) / higher power capacity, which is really something that is important in these power hungry cars, especially the Diablo and Murci./ great warranty and you can get it replaced at any Sears / etc etc....

Con: it's a heavy battery.. another 10lbs over most others its size, but it is worth its weight.

Some guys have gotten into the weight saving batteries, which are cool... but if it is less than 60 degrees outside, good luck getting the car started. (they have very little capacity... so if the car doesnt start almost immediately, your done)

I cannot remember which Platinum I put in my Murci, so I am looking for the paperwork now. They did not have one that was a perfect fit, but it only took 15 minutes of work to get it to fit perfectly. I took the existing battery up to Sears and matched it with the Platinum that had almost the exact bottom footprint.. but it was a little longer across the top. So, the metal strap that goes over the battery had to be made a little longer... no big deal because the metal strap has some bends in it, so I made them straight with a bench vise making the strap fit over a little bit longer top. Then, there are mounting feet along the sides of the bottom of the battery that are molded in, you need to either bend your battery tray a little bit, or take a razor knife and shave a few of the ribs on feet on the battery a little... the ribs on each end are a little taller (all of this took me less than 15 minutes.. and will make much more sense when you are working on it and you have the compartment and battery right in front of you) My murci is in LA right now, or else I would pull the wheel and take a photo for you guys.

If you are going through all this... it's a perfect time to wire in the pigtail for a battery tender!! (the Lambo/CTEK is a nice one to go with)

EDIT: I just found the paperwork... it doesnt say too much, but I am 99% sure this is the battery I bought:

DieHard Automotive Battery, Platinum P-1 - Group Size 34

Sears Item# 02850034000 | Model# P-1

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...mp;blockType=L5

platinum.jpg

Not trying to play the expert here, but I learned the hard way with Lambo batteries... and I am an electrical engineer, which helps. (a chemical engineer would know much more on this topic though)

Optima batteries:

Great design and marketing idea, and perform better than many batteries... however, once the battery goes low once it's usually ruined. This is because of the chemical change that happens in a battery when it is brought down low... most batteries can go through the chemical change back just fine, but with the optima construction pockets of the magic sauce inside are formed from improper re-charging/burping from the low condition. If you have an Optima that goes too low to start the car, the best thing to do is to very slowly bring the battery back up above low by connecting it to another battery as if you are jump starting the car... after a couple hours then you can bring it back up the rest of the way with the alternator on the car or a charger.

Die Hard platinum:

The posts are tin coated, so no nasty stuff growing on the terminals and bad connections / better materials are used in manfacturing the battery resulting in a product with consistent quality / design that is more forgiving than other batteries when brought down low (this isnt good for any car battery) / higher power, which is really something that is important in these power hungry cars, especially the Diablo and Murci.

Con: it's a heavy battery.. another 10lbs over most others its size, but it is worth its weight.

Some guys have gotten into the weight saving batteries, which are cool... but if it is less than 60 degrees outside, good luck getting the car started. (they have very little capacity... so if the car doesnt start almost immediately, your done)

Confirmed the report on the Optima: I have two dead ones from my F650, did not drive it for a month came back to dead batteries which were 4 months old and they will not take a charge.

Thanks for the info Andrew! You are ever helpful as always.

I second the Optima experience. Had two red-tops die off each after less than a year.

Optma used to be a great battery.

For cars that spend a lot of time on trickle chargers, and from time to time let the battery run down, I wouldn't recommend. Some auto parts shops stopped supplying because of returns. Though I did just recently hear Optima is, or was addressing this.

Exide orbital was my Optima replacement, and hasn't failed me yet.

Thanks for the responses, I have been fortunate with my car that I never needed to use a battery tender. It would sit for 2 months at a time and would always start right up. This last time I accidently left an interior light on and the car wouldn't turn over. I jumped started it and thought driving it for an hour or so would charthe battery, not the case. At any rate, I bought a cigarette adapter battery maintainer charged it for 2 days and it is fine now. Starts up fine every time even without the maintainer currently on it. Just an FYI, for those who run into the same issue.

• 8 months later...

Took my Lambo to the local shop for some service and he says the Sears battery is not the correct fit for a Murci, anyone else experience this? He said it is floating around and wont correctly bolt down.

This is what I purchased:

DieHard Automotive Battery, Platinum P-1 - Group Size 34

Sears Item# 02850034000 | Model# P-1 .. 218-

Same here. I tried several batts. Interstate fits well. Diehard needs a shim on two sides. Optima needs a shim on one side. I didnt try others. I ended up installing the optima and used the diehard in another car.

Optimas are kinda gimmicky. Had a red top, and the charge issue is across the board. Once they dip down below a certain level or die, they are never really the same.

Agreed, and ive had the same experiece which is why i keep optimas on a charger when parked.

But the optima fit best and i didnt want to use the interstate since the one that came with the car expired quickly.

Agreed, and ive had the same experiece which is why i keep optimas on a charger when parked.

But the optima fit best and i didnt want to use the interstate since the one that came with the car expired quickly.

Yep, Same problem with my red top Optima 12 months old and just as you described

I( use a battery tender now and I find that it never reaches a pointn wher it will go to the fully charged state

I think it is a 1.2 amp unit.

What do you use for a tender?

Kipper

Yep, Same problem with my red top Optima 12 months old and just as you described

I( use a battery tender now and I find that it never reaches a pointn wher it will go to the fully charged state

I think it is a 1.2 amp unit.

What do you use for a tender?

Kipper

I use a CTEK on all my cars. Optima batts need to be charged a certain way. CTEK chargers have a special mode (Storage Mode, or whatever it is called) that is suited to charging Optima batts. The charger even has a pic of the Optima battery as the icon to represent "Storage" mode.

6 mos on mine so far and no issues. But like I said, I keep the cars on the charger if they will be parked for more than a week.

This was not the case when I used a Battery Tender on Optima Red Top in the past, where the battery lasted less than a year, even when kept on the charger.

One upside of Optima is their lifetime warranty which can be claimed through local Auto Zone dealers.

I use a CTEK on all my cars. Optima batts need to be charged a certain way. CTEK chargers have a special mode (Storage Mode, or whatever it is called) that is suited to charging Optima batts. The charger even has a pic of the Optima battery as the icon to represent "Storage" mode.

Thanks Smokey

Can yu help with the actual model No of the CTek tender you are using?

Kipper

6 mos on mine so far and no issues. But like I said, I keep the cars on the charger if they will be parked for more than a week.

This was not the case when I used a Battery Tender on Optima Red Top in the past, where the battery lasted less than a year, even when kept on the charger.

One upside of Optima is their lifetime warranty which can be claimed through local Auto Zone dealers.