> Fortis
Mako
post Apr 2 2011, 02:36 AM
Post #41

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 17

Excellent review, very thorough.

Tough to fall in love with the versatility of that setup in just an hour Fortis, even the turn signal buttons are a mess for first-timers. But scud (as well as Allan) can tell you that with familiarity you'd probably begin to enjoy the additional options their system provides.

Funny that it felt floaty and less stable in the front, but not surprising going from AWD to RWD. Another area where more time in the car would likely have you reporting a more positive experience.

Your positive transmission comments are worrisome, because we still don't know what the Aventador's unit will be like. If it winds up feeling archaic next to the unit in the 458/599-replacement, it's a mistake on the factory's part. Just tough to argue with the speed and smoothness of dual-clutch, although they do have to find a way to engineer in some whiplash for the hardcore guys.

Interesting that you felt it bogged from a stop, that hasn't been the experience of other owners on the forum.

As for the "womanizing" of the entry-level Ferrari, that is of course all DiMontezemolo. It's his legacy for the marque, along with many other pros and cons.

Under his reign the V8 cars have been enjoyed by women as much as men (see Allan's wife's comments, sigh), and things like luggage space, softness of the ride, and overall luxury has been prioritized under his watch.

Thankfully they added some testosterone to the CS and Scuderia variants to get back in touch with the old-school feel of the cars, and hopefully the 458-weekend-warrior version will follow suit.

The looks, well...I was fooling around next to a black one on the 91 freeway Sunday, new 458 from F of Newport Beach, and I just can't fall in love with it. It really is a feminine look, way too soft and curvy for me. Even in black it was tough to love, but I do like the ADV car that's lowered and butched out a bit. icon_thumleft.gif

I think it's fair to say that these are two different flavors of ice cream. One is not "better" than the other, despite the comments to the contrary by fans in both camps. They are chocolate and vanilla, and which is preferrable is a matter of preference...not quality or capability.

Great write up, thanks to you and scud for making it happen.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jpegs13
post Apr 2 2011, 03:13 AM
Post #42

Lambo Owner

Group: Lambo Owner
Member No.: 22,919

QUOTE (Fortis @ Apr 2 2011, 04:25 AM) *
.........Few analogies:

For the building fans out there:

The difference between a 458 and a 570,
if you had to hang a painting in the living room, the 458 would use those fancy environmentally friendly adhesive strips from your local hardware store, the 570 would show up with a big ass nail a sledgehammer and a crazy grin on its face............

Great write up and review. And the line above made me laugh so hard, an analogy I can actually picture

--------------------

John

Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk~~ Joaquin de Setanti
+Quote Post
Fortis
post Apr 2 2011, 03:16 AM
Post #43

Group Icon

Group: LPower VIP
Member No.: 7,524

QUOTE (jpegs13 @ Apr 2 2011, 09:13 PM) *
Great write up and review. And the line above made me laugh so hard, an analogy I can actually picture

Yu must be in the construction industry icon_mrgreen.gif
+Quote Post
Jpegs13
post Apr 2 2011, 03:19 AM
Post #44

Lambo Owner

Member No.: 22,919

QUOTE (Fortis @ Apr 2 2011, 06:16 AM) *
Yu must be in the construction industry icon_mrgreen.gif

Yup, many years

--------------------

John

Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk~~ Joaquin de Setanti
+Quote Post
Fortis
post Apr 2 2011, 03:33 AM
Post #45

Group Icon

QUOTE (Mako @ Apr 2 2011, 08:36 PM) *
Your positive transmission comments are worrisome, because we still don't know what the Aventador's unit will be like. If it winds up feeling archaic next to the unit in the 458/599-replacement, it's a mistake on the factory's part. Just tough to argue with the speed and smoothness of dual-clutch, although they do have to find a way to engineer in some whiplash for the hardcore guys.

Interesting that you felt it bogged from a stop, that hasn't been the experience of other owners on the forum.

Mako I wouldn't be worried about the transmission in the Aventador, there is no doubt a double clutch tranny is very good and I like it but I don't like it for the Lambo if that makes sense.
I think what Lambo needs is a more refined single clutch, something that will give us smoother low-speed gear change but retains the bang in corsa mode hopefully the Aventador transmission will give us that.

In relation to the "bogging" of the 458's double clutch I only noticed it because I looked for it, possibly the average driver will not notice it unless they pay attention, the intensity of the "bogging" feeling that you get depends on the pressure you apply to the accelerator pedal, the reason I looked for it is because the double clutch in my Audi behaves in a similar manner.

It isn't a problem I think that's the way they all are.

As you said they are like two different flavours of ice cream they both good but different, one has strawberries in it and the other Jack Daniels icon_mrgreen.gif

Here you go an analogy for all the alcoholics out there. icon_mrgreen.gif
+Quote Post
Lambo91
post Apr 2 2011, 04:58 AM
Post #46

Group: Official LP Member
Member No.: 10,662

thats the longest wall of text i've read this year...lol

very good writeup..thanks for your time...and i agree with you..

is scud's pearl yellow 458 the 60k option? overkill!

now we need pics!! of your car aswell..
+Quote Post
Allan-Herbie
post Apr 2 2011, 06:10 AM
Post #47

Group Icon

Member No.: 5

Soo basically what you are saying is that you are blind, and too dumb to figure out a few buttons? biggrin.gif anyways....I've spent a little bit of time in gallardos and now the fcar. Visuals are subjective, the gallardo looks great to me, but old and dated now. Could just be me as I've had them now since 2006, but judging by peoples reactions around here,it's not just me. Mechanicly there is no comparison, my car does not hesitate, does not feel floaty and feels far more surefooted than any gallardo I've driven, including the 570. The brakes,steering feel and transmission are on a whole new level. When it comes to build quality I will give the lambo the lead. It seems as if over time the lambo would hold together better, the interior is more durable, the paintwork better etc but in my case I don't care as I won't have the car long enough for it to fall apart. How about vboxing your 570?

--------------------

87 Countach QV
98 Diablo SV Monterey Edition
02 Murcielago
05 Carrera GT
+Quote Post
LamboGator
post Apr 2 2011, 08:34 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 23,410

Nice review, Fortis. I like all your analogies. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
porter
post Apr 2 2011, 09:10 AM
Post #49

LP Resident Ninja
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,428

Good and interesting review Fortis. Will move this to the review section after a few days.

Whose 570 did you hop back into? That is the part I was confused about eusa_think.gif post-5-1301012070.gif

+Quote Post
Assman
post Apr 2 2011, 09:38 AM
Post #50

Lambro

Member No.: 12,288

Nice writeup Fortis.

--------------------

07 LP640 true manual transmission
+Quote Post
TheFilipinoStig
post Apr 2 2011, 10:07 AM
Post #51

Resident Raptor Game Warden

Member No.: 6,125

Thanks for the write-up, I enjoyed your analogies - I could relate to every one, but ESPECIALLY the music one!

--------------------

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” - Hemingway
+Quote Post
Mako
post Apr 2 2011, 10:17 AM
Post #52

Group Icon

QUOTE (porter @ Apr 2 2011, 09:10 AM) *
Whose 570 did you hop back into? That is the part I was confused about eusa_think.gif post-5-1301012070.gif

lol.gif

Don't get him all paranoid now, he's going to think the black helicopters are circling his house... icon_mrgreen.gif

And an extra +1 for usage of the "Alex" emoticon, lol. post-5-1301012070.gif
+Quote Post
Guest_Rob Burgundy_*
post Apr 2 2011, 10:28 AM
Post #53

Guests

"There are few mods available out there that make the car almost bearable for me but in stock form I honestly think it is the worse looking sports car currently on the market, possibly soon to be outclassed by the upcoming MP4 which looks like it was designed by Andrea Bocelli, I know the folks at McLaren blame it on the wind but I don't really believe them."
icon_mrgreen.gif
So so funny!

That was a great write up Fortis! I had no idea Scud still had his 570 as well? icon_mrgreen.gif
+Quote Post
Guest_Dereiter_*
post Apr 2 2011, 10:31 AM
Post #54

Guests

Thanks for the interesting review.
Regarding my opinion i like the both cars (570 and 458).
+Quote Post
Mako
post Apr 2 2011, 10:44 AM
Post #55

Group Icon

QUOTE (Rob Burgundy @ Apr 2 2011, 10:28 AM) *
"There are few mods available out there that make the car almost bearable for me but in stock form I honestly think it is the worse looking sports car currently on the market, possibly soon to be outclassed by the upcoming MP4 which looks like it was designed by Andrea Bocelli, I know the folks at McLaren blame it on the wind but I don't really believe them."
icon_mrgreen.gif
So so funny!

That was a great write up Fortis! I had no idea Scud still had his 570 as well? icon_mrgreen.gif

lol, yes, the Bocelli line was particularly inspired. lol.gif icon_thumleft.gif
+Quote Post
VCR
post Apr 2 2011, 12:01 PM
Post #56

Group: Multi-Lambo Owner
Member No.: 3,591

The review that I've been waiting for. Very detailed and informative, thank you! icon_thumleft.gif
Sounds like the angry Pacman is definitely not your type of sports car (sorry Scud).
+Quote Post
Fortis
post Apr 2 2011, 01:53 PM
Post #57

Group Icon

QUOTE (AllanFerrariLover @ Apr 3 2011, 12:10 AM) *
Soo basically what you are saying is that you are blind, and too dumb to figure out a few buttons? biggrin.gif anyways....I've spent a little bit of time in gallardos and now the fcar. Visuals are subjective, the gallardo looks great to me, but old and dated now. Could just be me as I've had them now since 2006, but judging by peoples reactions around here,it's not just me. Mechanicly there is no comparison, my car does not hesitate, does not feel floaty and feels far more surefooted than any gallardo I've driven, including the 570. The brakes,steering feel and transmission are on a whole new level. When it comes to build quality I will give the lambo the lead. It seems as if over time the lambo would hold together better, the interior is more durable, the paintwork better etc but in my case I don't care as I won't have the car long enough for it to fall apart. How about vboxing your 570?

Send the vbox.

You definitely didn't spend enough time with a 570 as perhaps I didn't spend enough time with the 458 but I've paid a lot of attention to every detail and remember I drove them back to back, for me the 458 when compared to the 570 feels exactly the way I've described it.
When I drove the 458 I've paid attention to everything so I can properly compare the two, the things I noticed are more emphasised in order to paint a proper picture and get the message across, when I say floaty I don't mean the nose of the 458 was bouncing up and down as a low rider on hydraulics.

The 570 is far more surefooted the only problem that it has is understeer in hard cornering but then again the 458 will have double the oversteer in the same corner hence it being much harder to control by a novice, the 570 is the easier car to drive, that's what I am trying to get across.
Best explained is to take a novice and get him or her to drive the same twisty stretch of road in a 458 and then the 570, the 570 will be the car that will inspire most confidence.
Please allow me to clarify I am not a race car driver but I have a bit of experience driving sports cars I am not a straight line dragracer so when I say surefooted I am talking about corners icon_mrgreen.gif

You guys are reading too much into that "bogging"
Allan go home and pay attention to it and you will notice it, if you jump on the throttle the box hesitates for a fraction of a second before it engages, if you like to race off the line and you aren't in the position to use your launch mode in could be a slight disadvantage but as it get's up through gears the double clutch changes like nothing on earth, that's the reason those huge lump of metal Nissan GTR move so fast, it's the gearbox that does the trick.

For what it is, for the tech the 570 uses it is simply unbelievable, I can not wait for the replacement, at this moment the game is on par with Ferrari's the replacement will obliterate the 458 in a similar fashion the MP4 will obliterate the 458 when it will be released, let's not forget the order we have to compare this cars in Gallardo V F360, LP560-LP570 V F430 the 458 is a completely new car Lambo's cards are still face down on the table icon_mrgreen.gif .

+Quote Post
Fortis
post Apr 2 2011, 02:04 PM
Post #58

Group Icon

Thank you guys for all your nice words icon_thumleft.gif

Mako I know you mentioned helicopters, haven't noticed any of them but what I found quite odd was the black van parked across the road from my house since I've posted this review,
apparently the two heavy-set tattooed individuals that conveniently happen to know Scud "ran out of fuel" ! Do you think they are telling the truth? eusa_think.gif
+Quote Post
Fellippe
post Apr 2 2011, 02:25 PM
Post #59

PE

Member No.: 1,098

Thanks for the review....worth the wait!

A question:

Compare the 458 to the Balboni, driving dynamics wise.

Us RWD guys will never fully accept AWD cars....just how it is. icon_mrgreen.gif
+Quote Post
Fortis
post Apr 2 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #60

Group Icon

QUOTE (Fellippe @ Apr 3 2011, 08:25 AM) *
Thanks for the review....worth the wait!

A question:

Compare the 458 to the Balboni, driving dynamics wise.

Us RWD guys will never fully accept AWD cars....just how it is. icon_mrgreen.gif

The only RWD I drove was the 550.

I will make this review shorter for you it was rubbish icon_mrgreen.gif
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th February 2018 - 02:41 AM

> Our Sponsors

your alt tag