2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LP570-4 Superleggera review, the long-winded version & 458 comparsion
VCR
post May 6 2011, 10:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Multi-Lambo Owner
Member No.: 3,591

Ok, some asked openly while others PM’ed me, so on with the LP570-4 Superleggera review:

Let me begin by acknowledging that this is not a “new” model. It’s been out for a while and others here might even had the car for some time so some info. may seem slightly dated.

Exterior: it definitely is an evolutionary design as the overall shape had not been altered much from the original Gallardo. But put the original G, a LP560 to the LP570 side-by-side and there are quite a bit of subtle differences. The most prominent being the front bumper on the LP570 as it is the most pronounced. I never really liked this part in black; the Performante paint scheme did a good job as it makes the lines flow better with the rest of the car. The front license plate ruins the looks eusa_wall.gif ; those who needs no front plates are lucky. I actually still prefer the old headlights --- longer & slimmer --- but look inside the new lights and plenty of engineering had gone into them: LED’s, mirrors/reflectors etc…so it is a valid upgrade. The line on top of the lights runs at a steeper angle also increases the menacing look of the car. The side profile actually has slightly more curve than the original G. I kind of missed the louvres at the end of the rear shoulders as it reminds me of the Countach; but the revised rear end does have a more contemporary look. The taillights are much better looking but I think they ought to do the following (and this applies to the LP640 and perhaps to the Aventador too): rather than having the 3 “Y” lights blinking all at once, have them blink progressively like : Y YY YYY. Yes, I know some of the Mustang’s (new & old, and the old Cougar) have that too. Just a novelty and with modern electronics, we don’t need the old Mustang’s rotating/staggering electrical contacts, it can be done electronically. Anyway, still a bit unsure on the super wide one-piece rear grill but it’s not strange-looking anymore like when it was first introduced. The side mirrors are actually slightly different --- one more angle added and ever so slightly taller (even to the 560). Must be the new EU pedestrian laws again. The new-style wheels look ok to me and seem much better than the last Super G Scorpius wheel. Overall, despite being a small evolution of a 7-year-old design, I think the looks is still great and it won’t look very outdated in years to come.

Interior: well, no surprise here at all and everything is more or less as the original G. Actually, there is a “surprise”: the orientation of the window switches is reversed from the originals but they had that since the 560 so it’s not really “new”. I absolutely hate the fake chrome switches and the switch guards between them. They simply look out of place and incongruous to the full Alcantara/carbon fibre interior. You either love or hate the sports seats. Since, I added the sports seats on my last Super G, I knew what to expect so no surprise there for me either. For my physique, I am fine with them; another degree of incline on the backrest would have been perfect but since it’s not adjustable, I can live with that. IMO, Lambo should have kept the cubby box on the left side of the dash (right below the “R” reverse button). Yes, I realize it’s the Super G and weight-saving is the key. But unlike the European model that can opt-out on the glove box to further save weight, all North American cars comes standard with a glove box. So why not add that cubby box on the left as there is absolutely no place to put items like cel phone, sunglasses, garage remote etc… In fact, I rather have the cubby box than the glove box --- no need to reach so far. smile.gif Another thing that Lambo should REALLY change is the design of the paddles/levers on the e-gear. Right now, the tabs on the levers are too short and they only point up; let’s say one’s right hand is at the 4 o’clock position on the steering wheel or lower, without moving one’s hand, one is basically out of luck on changing gears. The paddles/levers should reach down as well (as in the shape of a capital T on sideways); but it cannot be done as the wiper/signal stalks would be in the way. I think Porsche has the best design on the paddles after its toggle switches are much criticized. It is imperative for Lambo to change their design; I do see that the levers on the Aventador reaching downward. I guess we have to wait for the replacement model then. A personal but old school preference would be the addition of a CD changer. Lambo had terminated this option altogether so factory ordering was not possible. The iPod/MP3 generation need not worry though.

Drive: in a word, superb! When I first drove the LP560-4 (had the original Super G then), the initial impression was, they toned everything down --- it’s easier to drive but it’s too easy and almost too soft. There is almost no drama and little emotion. The car simply rolls. Yes, it rolls pretty fast but it doesn’t stir the soul like the (original) Super G. And when this Super G was announced, I eagerly anticipated as if it combines the user-friendliness of the LP560 with the rawness of the original Super G, it would be quite a car. I am glad to report that Lambo has succeeded in the fusion. In “regular” mode, the car is smooth; again, almost too smooth and it’s easy. Change it to “Sport” mode and things gets interesting, now there is more drama and the car behaves less benign; it wakes up so to speak. Put it in “Corsa” mode and things get more interesting still. Now there is an element of rawness especially when it shifts. And in Corsa mode, one can turn off the ESP entirely so the drama is abundant if wanted. To be fair, I do wish the suspension were also adjustable. Not that it is needed as it is fine where it is at; just that it would sweeten the formula. Performance? More than adequate, as afore-mention, it’s quite a bit smoother than the original Super G so it might not “feel” as fast but in actual fact, it IS quite a bit faster; the performance is just more “linear” than the last Super G. The emotion might be minutely watered down since it has less drama but the feel of acceleration more than makes it up. It’s the transmission that made the difference; and I mean night & day difference. The new Super G shifts much faster and power delivery is much smoother. Even in Corsa mode, at no time does the transmission feel abruptly rough whereas on the original Super G, there are times that the gearbox feels like it is having a spasm or have a mind of its own. The new Super G’s gearbox does exactly what you instructed it to do and does it swiftly in an orderly fashion. And the cherry on top? The “auto” mode actually works! In the old Super G, it usually shifts up to second gear only and stays there so you are rocking (literally) back & forth on city roads. rolleyes.gif The new Super G shifts almost like a regular auto box. And likewise on the Sport Auto mode but quicker and a bit more drama. The other huge improvement is the brakes. Mine has the CCB and compare to the original Supoer G’s CCB, this one is miles ahead. The front discs are about the size of the steering wheel! It does its job with extreme competence under all stopping conditions and it does not grab at all like the earlier CCB’s. In fact, it feels like regular steel brakes --- articulation, feel and pressure are all spot-on! The irony is that on the hub of the disc brake assembly, the words “MADE IN GERMANY” are clearly written & very legible! rolleyes.gif The suspension feels about the same and like the SE & the original Super G, the synergy of the sports suspension with the P-Zero Corsa’s remains phenomenal. But unlike the SE and the last Super G, the current Super G’s suspension does not complain when it is working: i.e. no clanging and jarring. It just absorbs the imperfections of the roads silently without transmitting/transferring the noise to the chassis. And again, it would be extra icing on the cake if the suspension was adjustable by a switch on the dash. As to the exhaust, your neighbours will love you --- well, almost. At cold start, the car roars immediately after ignition, but soon after, that gate inside the muffler does its job and all of a sudden, the car quiets down substantially. You will get that roar back when it’s above 3800rpm. This is very different from the original Gallardo series. Whether that’s a good thing or not is entirely subjective. The idling noise of the engine on this car also sounds rather different than the original Gallardo series. I don’t know if I like it more though. This one seems to have more mechanical sound to it (as in moving parts) whereas the original G series seems to be more “throaty” with the emphasis on the exhaust. And this car seems to run hotter (as in temperature) than the original Super G.

Overall: without a doubt, this is a superior car than the last Super G. However, the last one might stir the soul a bit more especially to those who are from old school. If one’s idea of an Italian exotic car has to be temperamental, loud, jerky and simply has to make its presence known, then the original Super G might fit the bill more. But if one’s idea of an Italian exotic is sophistication, more refined and yet have just enough flair to be noticed, then the LP570-4 is the car. As a quick analogy, think Terminator (original Super G) vs. James Bond (new Super G). Both would get the job done with aplomb and both have their own style. Both will have their presence known respectively but both quite different from each other --- the original Super G being raw, less refine and its arrival more dramatic; the new Super G much smoother, better and more sophisticated with its presence still known. It is a good and effective evolution. If one thinks the new Super G isn't blatant enough like the old Super G, its increased performance in a stylish manner and its improved built quality more than make up its slightly less extrovert demeanor.

Comparison and Conclusion: as mentioned elsewhere, I had a day to try out a Ferrari 458. To be fair, let’s just say the 458 is a nice car and packs quite a performance. But it is a Ferrari after all, the “bread & butter” car in fact so it just has to deliver. However, it is, without any doubt, NOT my cup of tea. I see the work that has gone into its styling especially on the aerodynamics but I simply cannot find one visual cue on that car that I like. The former 430 I can live with despite its gorilla nose and I even find the FF passable but the 458, IMO, is just plain ugly! I don’t think I’ll ever get used to this car. It’s obvious that Lamborghini has the upper hand on the looks: 7 years into a design with some small evolutionary facelifts and everything still looks good; certainly no one will hate it or find it ugly; whereas Ferrari went from a 360 to a 430 to a 458 and all of them are controversial: you either like them or hate them. Step inside and I thought I entered the shuttle craft of the USS Enterprise (no, not quite the Enterprise itself as that’s a different & higher class, so just a shuttle craft). The high-tech dash and the overall design do not seem to blend well with the Italian flair. In fact, they look like they are from two different worlds. The steering wheel is information overload --- way too many buttons and switches sharing a small single surface. Yes, everything is within reach by your finger & thumb tips but one really has to get used to them. The rest of the car industry hasn’t utilized this kind of architecture (I think Pontiac tried it with all its stereo controls on the steering wheel back in the 90's icon_mrgreen.gif) and consequently, despite the perhaps good intentions, one would not be familiar with it any time soon. Imagine trying to adjust the suspension, signaling left and turning on the wipers all within a 2 second time frame! eusa_wall.gif Yes, the car is smooth, the car is modern and the transmission is lightning fast. But it also has the same association of watering down the soul and this one definitely is overdoing it. Yes, it’s easy to drive fast as all the electronic nannies will ensure to neutralize all the mistakes. But it diminishes the soul of an Italian exotic. Indeed, everything about the 458 is being easy, so one feels good about it. I.e. the car makes the average Joe looks like he can really drive, and drive an exotic car to boot. And if one does know how to drive, the car will make one feels like Schumacher! But somehow, the 458 felt as if the driver issues commands to a robot and the robot augments the commands in a faster, better, more precise and accurate manner. That, to some, might be cool but one just doesn’t feel connected to the 458 and any feedback from the car is “clinical”; something is in between the man and machine interface and it’s not feeling right sad.gif --- almost like digital (458) vs. analog (570) music. At first, digital seems like the clear-cut winner but the more and deeper you get into it, the more problematic it becomes. Like analog, it will take more to get the best out of the Super G, but the results are more rewarding and satisfying. And I honestly think that the 458, at its absolute best, can only match the overall performance of the LP570-4; it will not surpass it. Yes, technology-wise the 458 has the edge and it may even offer a more relaxed drive than the Super G, assuming one had mastered all the tricks on the multi-functional steering wheel, but it doesn’t offer the same gratification that one gets from driving a LP570. It’s a personal bias of course but it’s also my preference. And one area that the dancing donkey car really falls short on is the built quality. The paint is poorly done, the gaps between panels are wide, fit & finish are simply inferior to Lamborghini by an order of magnitude. And the inside isn’t any better: the switches and dials, though acceptable, are not of top quality. The metal and plastic can and should be much better finished; they are definitely on the wrong end of the Italian crafting cliche. Simply put, I don’t think I would write-off the 458 entirely as when all is said and done, it’s not too bad. But as afore-said, it is a bloody Ferrari afterall so it better delivers. But factoring in the BS from both the dealership and the owners circle, would I put my money down on a 458, the answer is a definitive NO! As for the LP570-4, well I already answered the part on putting money down for it. smile.gif Yes, it is somewhat old school; yes, it lacks that latest bells & whistles to make it goes & shifts faster & easier; yes, its steering wheel is JUST a steering wheel (it ONLY has a horn & airbag on it) and yes the interior is starting to get a little long-tooth; and yes, look closely to all the parts and you will see more VW & Audi logos on their surfaces (which is a bitter & sweet thing); and yes, it’s a 7-year-old chassis; but the sum of all its parts yields a very rewarding machine and a most satisfying drive. By now, every bug had been sorted out and since the replacement is still a couple of years away, they haven’t stopped or given up on improving the car yet. One can clearly see the vast improvement from 2004 or even from the last Super G. Given the size and the limited finances of Lamborghini, I think they have done quite well. And as above-said, the exterior design of the car has aged well and does not look obsolete or outdated. Craftsmanship and fit & finish are of Audi-quality. And perhaps the special-ordered colour may have something to do with it but the paint quality on this car is by far the best that I have seen on any Lamborghini’s or Ferrari’s in the last 8 years. While there might not be a quantum leap between the two generations of Superleggera, there are enough differences and improvements on the new car that within 10 seconds on the test drive, one can spot the advancements. In fact, if one is familiar enough with Lamborghini’s, the improvements can literally be felt blindfolded. Yes, the old Super G may stir the soul a bit more because of its hairy chest character, but the new Super G packs the real substances to deliver the goods better and more efficiently. Quite well done indeed! icon_thumleft.gif

And I wouldn’t be VCR if I don’t end this post with this: the ultimate but predictable letdown of the new LP570-4 Superleggera is… yes, the sound quality of its stereo still sucks! icon_mrgreen.gif

post-5-1301012070.gif

2008 Gallardo Superleggera with LP560-4 lookalike bumper + Dymag wheels
Attached File  Vcr_Bull_Run_2009__3_.jpg ( 113.73K ) Number of downloads: 92

2011 LP570-4 Superleggera
Attached File  LP570SL.jpg ( 137.69K ) Number of downloads: 102
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mako
post May 6 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 17

Damn, now that is a review. icon_thumleft.gif

Nice Al, thanks for the write-up.

The 458 section is particularly well written, it's how many feel about the cosmetics, both inside and out. That strange "S2000" interior layout is off-putting, and the comments regarding the love/hate 360/430/458 design experiments are very accurate.

I have a hard time with the 458, because the tech is extremely competent and definitely the class leader in most regards. But the package it's wrapped in, combined with the odd interior look, is such a turn-off that it's tough to fall in love with it 100%.

We see them around our area constantly, and just last night while at dinner at Flemings' Fashion Island there were two parked in valet (red and black). Exciting, but not the drop-dead heart-attack imapct of even an old 2004 Gallardo...

Tough choice. Glad you made the one that was right for you.
+Quote Post
Smash Boy
post May 6 2011, 11:33 AM
Post #3

PE

Group: Official LP Member
Member No.: 1,098

Al, great review....was very interesting to read as always.

I agree that Ferrari is moving away from building visceral beasts of yesterday, which is a shame because the 458 has an outstanding chassis and powerplant. Hopefully the scuderia/challenge version will neutralize this stuff.

Glad to see that you liked the 570G more than the original. Personally my styling preferences have moved on to the newer 560/570 look after some getting used to, so despite the original G being rawer, not sure if that would be enough to convince me to pick that over it.

What about the 550....did you ever consider that car? If I had to have a coupe G, that would be it.

You know I like your analog/digital analogy, but honestly in the modern day IMHO, it's digital versus less digital. Like a DAC that "sounds analog". icon_mrgreen.gif

I do like the fact that it did inspire you more that this AWD car felt more alive than a RWD...

Again, congrats again on the pickup...it really does look great in gold! icon_super.gif icon_pidu.gif
+Quote Post
Smash Boy
post May 6 2011, 11:35 AM
Post #4

PE

QUOTE (Mako @ May 6 2011, 03:24 PM) *
Damn, now that is a review. icon_thumleft.gif

VCR reminds me of my good friend Charles.....when you can never have enough detail on something, they always deliver. icon_thumleft.gif
+Quote Post
lambornima
post May 6 2011, 04:01 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,638

you sound like you dont like the softness of the 458 (and LP560), so on that note, would you like to see lambo adopt a dual clutch in its models or would that too be "too soft".
+Quote Post
Fortis
post May 6 2011, 07:35 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: LPower VIP
Member No.: 7,524

Al awesome review as always, you've described both cars better than anybody else, based on my experiences with both cars you are 100% spot on.

Thank you very much for taking the time icon_thumleft.gif
+Quote Post
Allan-Herbie
post May 6 2011, 08:02 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 5

VIVA FERRARI!!!

--------------------

87 Countach QV
98 Diablo SV Monterey Edition
02 Murcielago
05 Carrera GT
+Quote Post
porter
post May 6 2011, 09:00 PM
Post #8

LP Resident Ninja
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,428

Great review and lol Allan.
+Quote Post
VCR
post May 6 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (lambornima @ May 6 2011, 04:01 PM) *
you sound like you dont like the softness of the 458 (and LP560), so on that note, would you like to see lambo adopt a dual clutch in its models or would that too be "too soft".

It's not just the transmission but the way the cars are engineered. At times, these cars feel almost like a Mercedes SL or a BMW 6-series. Increasing user-friendliness translates to more sales; it makes business sense but it also takes the joy out of Italian exotic motoring. Give me a chance to drive the Aventador with its transmission and I will be able to answer your question in a fair manner.

And thanks very much for the kinds words everyone. Glad you all approve the review. smile.gif
+Quote Post
rhyno
post May 6 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,321

Thanks VCR!!! That was a great review. Enjoy that stunning LP570!!!

--------------------

2017 Lamborghini SV-Roadster "God of the sky"
2010 Lamborghini Murcielago LP670SV
1997.5 Lamborghini Diablo Roadster
1989 Lamborghini Countach
1988.5 Lamborghini Countach
1987 Lamborghlini LM002
1986 Lamborghini *****
1977 Lamborghini **********
+Quote Post
Nath4N
post May 7 2011, 05:21 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 11,539

That's your best review yet, VCR!!! icon_thumleft.gif
It was great read, maybe because it says exactly what I would like to read biggrin.gif Thanks for taking the time to write it.
And about your new GSL, I already wrote that in the other thread but I'm gonna write it again. I absolutely LOVE it!
+Quote Post
StefanM
post May 7 2011, 07:48 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 3,546

Great review, enjoyed reading it!

VIVA LAMBO post-5-1301012070.gif
+Quote Post
TRANSAMERA
post May 9 2011, 04:41 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 9,294

Excellent review and what a badass looking Super G!! icon_super.gif

--------------------

#lookatthatdude
+Quote Post
soup
post May 9 2011, 05:25 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,938

Great review.

Just wondering, what should they improve audio-wise so it matches up to your likings and are there any cars out there that have impressed you with their audio setup?
+Quote Post
Smash Boy
post May 9 2011, 06:32 AM
Post #15

PE

QUOTE (soup @ May 9 2011, 09:25 AM) *
Great review.

Just wondering, what should they improve audio-wise so it matches up to your likings and are there any cars out there that have impressed you with their audio setup?

VCR will buy 2 458s before he praises an OEM or even a good aftermarket car stereo system. icon_mrgreen.gif

If you want to have good sound in any car, just get a great amp and some decent speakers. It really is that simple. You'll get 85-90% of what you want with that alone, no need to go with an active setup, processing, EQ, etc. That's perfectionist stuff that is expensive, challenging, and only rewarding to 1% of the population.

Subs are good too but hard to pick good sounding, clean subs these days -- too sloppy and overemphasized subbass for the most part.
+Quote Post
VCR
post May 10 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (soup @ May 9 2011, 05:25 AM) *
Great review.

For any Lambo, the quick answer is nothing. Years ago I spent $$$ on the top-of-the-line Alpine setup on my 2004 G. Yes, it probably improved 150% from the OEM system but it's still far from ideal and the sound quality doesn't justify the cost. I wrote a long-winded post on why car stereo is not ideal for an audiophile but I think it was lost with the big L/P site crash a long while back. Basically, with the engine noise, road noise and skewed sitting position, it's rather impossible to get a proper sound (i.e. depth, balance, imaging etc...). Added by the Lambo's tiny & low-roof passenger cell, it basically hopeless even with the state-of-the-art DSP processing (which I tried). But I agree with Fellippe, a good amp and speaker setup would be the basic rule for better sound. The flip side being the much added weight to the car: good amps are usually huge & bulky (forget those supposedly powerful-but-tiny Class D digital switching amps as they sound crappy) and as are the speakers (good speakers have huge magnets). Adding weight to a sports car simply goes against the rules. This might upset a number of members here but adding a subwoofer to a Lambo is absurd. There's just no way the cabin could smoothly integrate it; simple physics dictates that. Again I agree with Fellippe, most subs are over-emphasized and of sloppy quality; good clean bass is hard to fine, surely $$$; and, again, will add much weight. Perhaps I am old school and have seen too many of their posters when I was a kid, but I always thought a Lamborghini should have an Alpine stereo in it. smile.gif

For the 2nd part of your Q, I trust that you meant the OEM equipment? If it's after-market hardware then Fellippe is the man to ask as he knows a lot more than me on car stereo (I'm the home stereo guy). For OEM, first, I discount all the designer brands associations: Lexus + Mark Levinson, Audi/Aston Martin + B&O, Bentley + Naim, Porsche + Burmester etc... Yes they sound ok but no where half as good as their home version; far from it in fact. The high 4-figure $$ option is simply not worth the costs at all. For an OEM equipment that comes standard with the car, IMO, the Land Rover Harmon Logic 7 is actually quite well done. For the full size Range Rover, one needs to remove the foam pieces behind the metal grills of the tweeter (at the tip of the front side windows). It literally removes the veil and opens up the sound. The LR3/LR4 stereo is quite well done too. But I believe it has to do with the passenger cell of both cars: almost in a golden ratio rectangle with a tall roof --- a guarantee of good sound. Fairly good quality speakers and reasonable amps (like Fellippe said) also helps.

LOL on Fellippe's comment about buying 2 458's lol.gif laugh.gif

Btw, I just found out on hooking up an older generation iPod to the LP570, say Gen 3 Nano and prior, the Lambo shield is displayed on the iPod screen. But it doesn't do that on the later and latest generations of iPod's. Another proof that Lambo doesn't spend much time & $ on updating its stereo. Would be interested to see what the Aventador offers & what it can do.

+Quote Post
Leadfoot
post May 11 2011, 04:16 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 24,272

Great review and spot on from what I've observed so far. Thanks for taking the time to do such an in-depth write-up.

--------------------

2005 Carrera GT Guards Red
2010 LP670-4 SV Giallo Orion #215
2012 LP570-4 STS Grigio Telesto #130
2016 Range Rover Td6 Marianna Black
2015 Z07 Torch Red
2016 Viper ACR Extreme Aero Competition Blue
2004 360 Challenge Stradale Rossa Scuderia
1995 F355 Berlinetta manual Canna di Fucile
2013 Cayenne GTS White
2012 Aston Martin DBS Volante Ultimate Edition Silver Fox #33/100

Past Lambos:

'12 Arancio Argos Aventador LP700
'08 White Superleggera
'11 Black LP 570 Superleggera
+Quote Post
TheFilipinoStig
post May 11 2011, 04:27 PM
Post #18

Resident Raptor Game Warden

Member No.: 6,125

Thanks for the write-up, I liked the analog vs. digital bit.. Totally understand that!

--------------------

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” - Hemingway
+Quote Post
sammydose
post Sep 7 2011, 06:35 AM
Post #19

porter was here

Group: Banned
Member No.: 73,255

looks like fun. I had the opportunity to drive the 670-4 SuperVeloce few months ago. He is always objective and sees the cars as they are and not the plate. And that seems to be a great driver.

--------------------

+Quote Post
P900
post Sep 12 2011, 08:24 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 5,651

Thanks for the great review! icon_thumleft.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2018 - 09:46 PM

> Our Sponsors

your alt tag