Xtreme Xperience

cake

Searched but found nothing.

Wondering if anyone has done Xtreme Xperience:

http://www.thextremexperience.com/

There are similar companies out there - but wondering if anyone has dealt with this particular one. I understand they have a pace car on track for a lead/follow.

It sounds really boring. 3 lap session around a track is pathetic, you can barely get the tires warm and I am sure they control the speed.

It sounds really boring. 3 lap session around a track is pathetic, you can barely get the tires warm and I am sure they control the speed.

I believe you are correct Aram. I'm asking because I was invited to work the event as an instructor which means I get to ride with all the people paying for 3 laps - behind the pace car.

On the rare occasion someone wants to be GIVEN a ride - I would drive them around the track (no pace car)- but I've been told that providing laps to clients is a "test drive" at "street speeds".

My curiosity is around whether the cars are well maintained and whether it's a well run event. I will probably accept because I really enjoy the other instructors (we worked together all winter training Chevron and Shell Oil employees on car control). For me - it'll be a fun weekend with friends at the track - riding shotgun at controlled speeds in what I assume will be some very nice cars.

I agree that 3 laps is barely enough to get a taste - but for people with zero access to exotics I suppose it's a way to have the experience without a costly full day or weekend rental - and of course there is no speed limit on a track (even though speed is controlled by their pace car).

I'm guessing based on 75 views (so far) and no replies I'm not likely to find lots of folks who can give me a first hand account

Go for it Carol! Someone wants to pay you to hang out with a bunch of other instructors, drive some exotics and spend a day at the track! Worst thing that can happen is you hate it and don't do it again.

I look forward to hearing back on how the experience was!

Go for it Carol! Someone wants to pay you to hang out with a bunch of other instructors, drive some exotics and spend a day at the track! Worst thing that can happen is you hate it and don't do it again.

I look forward to hearing back on how the experience was!

Thanks Bryan. I will do it if we can work out answers to questions on liability (I'll be surprised if we can't resolve it).

You're right - there are worse ways to spend a day.

In reality I think it could be a real grind but of course will depend on how booked the event is, and how the clients drive. One thing for sure - I'll be eating VERY light :)

I have no experience doing one of these but I did research the similar one Orlando Walt Disney.

For you as an instructor I would think the most important question is what control will you have? What if the driver is an asshole and decides he is Mario Andretti? With Walt Disney each car comes with a dial that the instructor can cut the power from 100% down to 10%. Do they have anything that will prevent someone from being like the guy below?

found this review on a POS forum.

"I got in the car and shook the instructors hand and introduced myself. In my palm was a $20 and I told him there was more if we had a good time. I had already asked in the classroom and found out they kept all the nannies on. All. Instructor didn't want me to drive over the low curbs that created an artificial apex before a heavy braking zone, creating two braking zones. The other "curbs" were in the esses accelerating onto the front straight. I ignored both sets of curbs without unbalancing the car, carried the extra speed, and it was the only thing the instructor allowed. He didn't want me Left Foot Braking (the car is a paddle shift). I ignored that too. There were 3 cones at every braking zone. He started saying "Brake" at the first cone. I adhered on the first lap and then realized the last cone was the best braking marker, by which point he was saying "brake, brake, brake BRAKE". That yelling "BRAKE" was the actual braking marker. Again, I knew going in they were keeping active handling on (which kicked in during every turn and killed power on acceleration out). What really pissed me off was him telling me to shift early. Yup, shift EARLY. He started repeating "Shift" at 6000rpm. The car revs to 8000 or 8500. It makes a delicious sound above 6 and he was telling me "shift shift shift" the entire time I was over 6K. I ignored that completely too. I paid to drive the car and they never mentioned early shifting. Nope, sorry, not gonna listen to that one either. I was the only guy hitting 4th gear (just for an instant) on both straights. I passed every car on track but 1. Mine was the only car they drove around the pits to cool the brakes (I'm sure active handling cooked them) after I came in. There were brief thrills yes, but not $299 worth. The instructor got no extra tip at pit in if you couldn't already guess"

Here is a couple of videos from events found on youtube. The are older videos as the website says a helmet is required.

• 5 weeks later...

I did it.

As far as control - the instructor has zero physical control within the car (other than hand brake or turning off by holding the ignition button in or turning off the key.

With Xtreme Xperience - they use pace cars. The good news: occasionally the pace car was close enough to the pack to be useful. The bad news: they often used the pace car to give ride alongs (at $45 per) which many people did as a preview to driving on track. In this case the pace car often was well ahead of the pack giving a spirited ride to those who paid. Which meant the drivers were unleashed to do whatever they wanted.

One driver was similar to the review posted above by NuclearJACK. He was asked to pit out after two laps and asked to leave. He was being a complete asshole, had an awful attitude and was pissed off at everything and everyone. Glad I wasn't in his car.

98% of the people I rode with went slower than you'd expect. I had to actively encourage them to give more throttle - and when they did (usually only on front straight) - they were on the brakes VERY early. I think they were nervous. The 2% who thought they were Mario were still on the brakes way early because they had no concept of what the cars could do. Some tried to put the car in a more aggressive mode but I would put it back in automatic and tell them that's how we're going to leave it. No one gave me any trouble over it.

Pros:

- it's a happy event for everyone - many celebrating birthdays or Father's Day or anniversaries

- all had a great attitude - wanted to have fun - most wanted to learn something

- we kept all cars in automatic shift mode at the most "tame" setting (required by XX) which kept things a bit calmer for instructors although reduced the experience somewhat for drivers although I'm not sure most would really know the difference

- I learned I could tolerate just about anything if it only lasted 3 laps

Cons:

- Smooth was a concept most couldn't grasp. Lots of stabbing at the brake, gas and steering. Ugh. Nauseating.

- We had to slide an SD card into the gopro if they bought a video card. It was a pain turning around and working the camera (on-off).

- 6 cars with 7 instructors is not enough instructors. Breaks were short and sporadic. It was a grueling schedule. On track around 8 am and not finished till 5:30 or 6 pm. Rare lulls throughout he day - but in general barely enough time to get out, make a "pit stop" and have water.

- I didn't like having to immediately get back in the car after having eaten. Tried to eat very light but my stomach prefers time for food to settle and there was not much leeway.

I know I'm a better instructor as a result of the four days. Every person I rode with thanked me and many expressed genuine delight at a wonderful "bucket list" experience.

It was also impossible to predict how people would drive. The tattooed guy with multiple nose piercings (U shaped nails through the bottom of his nose) was smooth and gentle and didn't try to impress. The body builder - short in stature - gold chains - designer sunglasses - tight jeans and sweater guy said, "I wanna take it easy my first lap" so we went to the back of the line. He was nothing like I expected.

In general women are inherently smoother than men but I rode with some awful female drivers (two in particular). One was so bad I began to suspect she might be partially blind in addition to having no feeling in her right foot. She was THAT bad. And then she thanks me telling me how awesome it was, and she usually rides motorcycles. Shocking.

I'd consider doing it again but might require a few things to change.

Our chief instructor was pleasantly surprised that they really let people drive fast (the rest of us were dismayed).

Best ride of the day - I was asked to drive a 10 year old boy in the F430 convertible for his birthday. I put it in race mode, paddle shifted to my hearts delight and gave him a fairly fast ride - pushing the pace car as much as possible. He loved every minute. We also heated up the fleet each morning - and each chose a car to take around the track to warm up. That was fun.

Biggest disappointment: the two LP560s driven in automatic mode were not smooth - constantly searching for a different gear, bucking at low speeds leaving the pit and not the best representation of the brand. If I had been test driving cars to buy one - and had driven all in the "tame" mode - the Lambo would rank lowest. The R8 was one of my faves. It was a lovely combo of interior luxury with lots of CF trim, and it had a Stasis exhaust and tune so it sounded amazing. And in general the tires on all the cars were not great which significantly affected the experience.

Most thankful for: the decent weather. Thank goodness it wasn't during the hot humid weekend before. THAT would have been miserable.

• 2 weeks later...

mini photo shoot of model with four cars: my Cayman R, the chief instructor's GT3RS, and two Xtreme Xperience cars: F430 & R8

Other than very lame sandals - she is a very attractive girl. She drove two cars (as a paying customer). I didn't ride with her but spoke to her while she was waiting. I wondered why she was in such heavy makeup (false eye lashes, etc). After her rides she changed into the dress, and her photographer (who I think was her husband - but not sure) took a bunch of photos.

From what I hear she drove pretty well.

What was she thinking re the sandals? I think barefoot would be better than those.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=6af851897839...k4ZIK5s&v=3

LOL, you're such a girl.. I don't think a single straight male would comment on her sandals. Now her gaping mouth pose, and pasty white skin OOOOOHGAAA!!! :leghump:

Was she putting her high heels on the door of that LP?

No. Funny - I noticed it too, and at another photo shoot (also Cayman - which made the C&C calendar) the model was putting her foot near the car but not on. In both cases the models were very well versed on "inappropriate contact" and would never dream of putting their heel or shoe against the car. It looks that way but it's not. I've had cars in a few photo shoots and in each case the models ask for permission and assure me they will not scratch the car. In one instance she removed a blingy bracelet for fear it might touch the car. I appreciated their professionalism.

LOL, you're such a girl.. I don't think a single straight male would comment on her sandals. Now her gaping mouth pose, and pasty white skin OOOOOHGAAA!!! :leghump:
Yes - I sure am a girl :lol2: She was exceptionally pale (a bit too pale IMO) and I wasn't sure how that would translate in photos - but how can you not agree that those sandals are pathetic :icon_oak: . Either strappy sandals with a high heel or a sexy pump (again - high heel) would do wonders for those photos. To me - those look like little old lady sandals. I stand by my comment. Bare feet would have been better.

And I would bet there might be some single straight males "into" feet & sexy shoes who might agree with me

I wish I had seen this thread before you went, I did one of these a couple years ago in Vegas and could have added my input.

Exotics Racing does theirs differently. I was allowed to use the paddle shifters, there was no pace car, we could go as fast as we wanted within reason. I was quite nervous, having never even seen a Lamborghini in person at the time, I really didn't drive the way I had expected when I planned it in my head. The whole time the instructor kept saying "go faster, go faster!". I tried too, but I had also never been on a track prior to that, so I really wasn't prepared. If I go again I imagine I would do better.

That being said, I had a wonderful experience and would do it again. I've recomended it to several people.

The one thing I would do differently, is don't do the basic laps. Exotics racing is 5 laps, and I was just getting the feel for the track by then. Had I paid for 7 laps it would have been much more fun I think.

A multi car package is probably the best option though. That way you get to try a few different cars, but you should have a good feel for the track by the time you get to the last car.

The one thing I would do differently, is don't do the basic laps. Exotics racing is 5 laps, and I was just getting the feel for the track by then. Had I paid for 7 laps it would have been much more fun I think.

A multi car package is probably the best option though. That way you get to try a few different cars, but you should have a good feel for the track by the time you get to the last car.

Either multi car or mutli sessions in the same car. I ended up encouraging most people to go faster (98%). Most were similar to you - never been on a track, never been in one of these cars. All had fun, and many went back and bought more laps (which is a big part of their business model). Since the pace car was giving hot laps - most of the time they were nowhere in sight, and it wasn't a problem except for the couple of people who needed to be reigned in. In those cases - if they had multiple sessions - the instructor would talk to the pace car drivers and ask them to "hang back" a bit so keep a lid on the person who wanted to go crazy.

Gingers are nuts, I'll pass
Hi John....I don't understand "Gingers"

Gingers are nuts, I'll pass

OHHHHH!

You're referring to the model in the red dress! Geez that took me WAY too long to connect the (red) dots.

Thanks AudiBull :D

• 8 months later...

Just finished working another 4 day Xtreme Xperience event.

They made some changes to the format. Overall I enjoyed it and would do it again.

They brought a 458, LP-560-4, LP-550-2, two 430s, R8 (V8 with Stasis tune & exhaust), GT-R black edition, Porsche Turbo and a base C7

I drove everything but the Porsche. Drove the 458 one morning for 15 warm up laps. Wow - what an exquisite, purpose built machine! It was spectacular on track and sounded fantastic!

The C7 was a dog in comparison to everything else. Not horrible but not impressive in any way. The Z51 package would improve it (I assume)

The GT-R was a beast but does nothing for me. Don't care for the looks or sound.

The 550-2 was fun but I had some asshole who thought it was a drifting event and he smoked it so much around the track it needed two new rear tires when we came in (the tires were already low but he finished it off). In hindsight I should have ejected him. Next time I would not tolerate that type of driving.

We had a bunch of rain, and someone put one of the 430s into the wall at about 80 mph on the front straight. No injuries but the car was pretty bad and not drivable. Hope that person bought an adequate level of insurance.

The 458 had been put into a tire wall the weekend before in ATL. In good driving condition but didn't look so good. Another very expensive day for someone who ignored the instruction to BRAKE!!!

I gave a lot of rides to people who wanted to be driven around the track, in the 560, 550, 458, C7. THOSE are the best laps of the weekend! Several times I thought: I can't believe I'm being paid to drive people around a race track in an exotic car! As recently as 3 years ago I never would have imagined doing this (or anything remotely close to it).