starter cleaning

Murcie-Hombre

Hi @ all,

by the last view week´s my starter make some trubble. sometime they don´t start and need

2 / 3 times to trying.

Now i think he must clean from the clutchdust, but remove the starter with engine in is like

a big kick in ass and you need joints on the fingers who you not have one.... ;-))

it´s possible to clean the starter when he is in? i think about it, that we take a brakecleaner

with a very little tube and put the cleaner over the hole undersite the engine (betwen engine an gearbox) in the clutcharea. can this work? any idea?

I think it's the solenoid. My Murci does the same thing, it clicks a few times before taking, even with a fully charged battery. apparently you can get a booster relay to give the solenoid a little more juice.

this relay (Starter help relay / 12Volt direkt to solenoid) i´ve put in the car. unfortunately is no

differend. no doubt, the best thing is put out the starter and clean it. when sometime the

clutch must change and engine is out, then i clean the starter with my toothbrush .... :-))

but this time i need a easy solution.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with the starter is that the clutch dust build up prevents the throw out solenoid from working correctly

removing the starter is not that difficult, can be done on a hoist and if you have a friend with a very small hand to help

with the installation of the top bolt this will help

From memory you need to disconnect the oil line to get better access and remove the starter

Remove the starter and have it fully cleaned out, you will be surprised how well it engages and turns over after doing this

Kipper

thx you kipper for your response.

I´ve try cleaning the starter with the smal little tube and the brakecleaner during the hole by underside. It works.

After the half box breakcleaner the starter works well. It´s worth a Try guy´s. The job need

a half hour and with luck you don´t must put out the starter for cleaning.

• 3 months later...