Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drive Impressions: Huracan 610-4, Diablo owner takes a Huracan down the PCH
FiveCar
post Jan 29 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: LPower VIP
Member No.: 22,249

After several years' absence from the Lambo community after selling my 98 Diablo SV, I'm back! I recently rented a Huracan for two days, thinking I might be interested in owning one at some point. I wrote up a review of it here:

https://medium.com/@philipsu/drive-impressi...-4-74789d34d909

"This is not a practical car. This is a car to pick up Rihanna on your way to the VMA’s."
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HannibalACP82
post Jan 30 2015, 08:03 AM
Post #2

LP Cheerleader

Group: Official LP Member
Member No.: 24,965

QUOTE (FiveCar @ Jan 29 2015, 09:24 PM) *
After several years' absence from the Lambo community after selling my 98 Diablo SV, I'm back! I recently rented a Huracan for two days, thinking I might be interested in owning one at some point. I wrote up a review of it here:

"This is not a practical car. This is a car to pick up Rihanna on your way to the VMA’s."

Interesting review.

--------------------

QUOTE (TeamSalamone @ Sep 10 2014, 09:25 AM) *
"There is no substitute for sexy.. and sexy is high maintenance and expensive with both women and cars ... Deal with it proudly like a Baller ". TEAMSALAMONE 2014
+Quote Post
norcal2
post Jan 30 2015, 09:52 AM
Post #3

Group: Lambo Owner
Member No.: 11,617

Not a lot of love..thank god you didnt drive a Gallardo...

"But I find I have no desire to own one at all — just at all.

It feels cheap, especially for a car that otherwise lists above $242k. It shortchanges you on a bunch of things that cheaper cars include as standard. And it’s not remarkable on any dimension other than speed. Its looks are subjective, but IMO inferior to many other cars. Ultimately, I suspect little things about it would make me angry all the time"
+Quote Post
SV-N-IT
post Jan 30 2015, 10:46 AM
Post #4

Group: Multi-Lambo Owner
Member No.: 2,228

interesting write up.. so what car are you thinking about next?

--------------------

(Yes, Life Insurance got me there)
+Quote Post
FiveCar
post Jan 30 2015, 10:50 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (MAC-N-IT @ Jan 30 2015, 10:46 AM) *
interesting write up.. so what car are you thinking about next?

I had a deposit on a P1, but backed out a year later. Recently drove a 12C and 458; liked the 458 much more, but am honestly not impressed enough to give up the practicality of my 981 Boxster S.
Not sure what I'll drive next, TBH. Car tech has gotten so good at cheaper price ranges that it's harder for me to justify paying so much.
+Quote Post
HannibalACP82
post Jan 30 2015, 11:05 AM
Post #6

LP Cheerleader

Member No.: 24,965

QUOTE (FiveCar @ Jan 30 2015, 01:50 PM) *
I had a deposit on a P1, but backed out a year later.

Well that was a mistake.

--------------------

QUOTE (TeamSalamone @ Sep 10 2014, 09:25 AM) *
"There is no substitute for sexy.. and sexy is high maintenance and expensive with both women and cars ... Deal with it proudly like a Baller ". TEAMSALAMONE 2014
+Quote Post
Fortis
post Jan 30 2015, 02:12 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 7,524

I enjoyed your write up, great to see another POV welcome back to LP icon_thumleft.gif and why in the God's name have you dropped the P1 allocation?? crybaby2.gif

There are quite a few things you are incorrect about they mainly revolve around the way certain things function the one which stands out is the indicator switch, if you push it once (to one side) it blinks for few seconds for a quick pass, if you push and hold for a second it stays on for as long as you want until you push directly on to cancel it, it's so easy and intuitive it requires no taking your hands of the wheel and very light inputs, I wish every car would have it.

Windscreen wipers, perfect placement for me and very useful at speed, when it starts sprinkling and I need to wipe the screen quickly a simple push and the windscreen is wiped once again no taking hands of the wheel required, works in a similar manner very intuitive.

The DCT pedals are angled that way so your fingers don't slip off the edges, I thought that was a very clever detail, personally I love the fact that the pedals are fixed on the column, I hate it when they turn with the wheel and you have to look for them when you need to up or downshift, it's a matter of preference I guess.

The infotainment system is a breeze for me mainly because I've been driving Audis for the last 5 to 6 years very intuitive, I know where everything is without looking, I can see how it can get confusing to someone who isn't used to the layout but once you get used to it like anything it becomes second nature.

I don't understand the fascination with luxury materials in sports cars, leathers, wood, etc, IMO the materials in sports cars have to be utilitarian, I am sure they could wrap the plastic bits in leather but that would increase weight and the struggle always is to keep it down, carbon comes later, they have to milk you somehow LOL.

I had Alcantara in many cars, anytime I can select it as an option I do, I hate leather, I even bought Alcantara to have furniture upholstered in and never had any issues with, on the other hand the suede I had on the 570 steering wheel was crap, it wore off and my hands were always black from it, in the end it got shiny and almost lost its grip, the one in my Huracan is much better but it started showing signs of wear also, the R8 GT steering wheel was wrapped in Alcantara and it stayed in perfect condition I wish Lambo wrapped theirs in Alcantara.

Relating the materials utilized to the price you pay for the car is quite irrelevant to be honest, my car was $500k if you guys are bitching about what you are getting for $250k I should be starting a riot together with the Singaporeans who have to pay $1.2 mil for a Huracan shock.gif

Once again thank you for taking the time to do the write up and good luck with purchasing your next ride icon_thumleft.gif
+Quote Post
rampante
post Jan 30 2015, 02:48 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 251

Turn Signal Conundrum....
So, according to Fortis, the turn signals do have the lane change feature (via slight pressure against the turn signal switch, as most new cars do).
But, I don't understand how the turn signals must be manually canceled once 'clicked' into a left or right turning position.
At least in the USA, there is a Federal mandate that the turn signal operating unit must be 'self-canceling' !! I never heard of any modern car that forces the operator to turn off the signals manually ! eusa_think.gif
This is straight from the U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Code:
S5.1.1.5 The turn signal operating unit on each passenger car, and multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, and bus less than 80 inches in overall width shall be self-canceling by steering wheel rotation and capable of cancellation by a manually operated control.
+Quote Post
Fortis
post Jan 30 2015, 03:46 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

They definitely have the lane change feature, in the manual it says that they will turn off automatically after you turn the steering wheel which complies with S5.1.1.5 I can't remember that being the case but to be perfectly honest I've never paid attention to it, if I go for a drive today I will test it and report back after.

Attached File  image.jpg ( 705.28K ) Number of downloads: 58

Quick guide on the operation of the wiper switch

Attached File  image.jpg ( 822.5K ) Number of downloads: 60

If there is anything else you guys want to see I am more than happy to oblige
+Quote Post
Destructo
post Jan 30 2015, 04:51 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,090

Don't use thread smileys.

And considering the short evaluation in the thread, are you suggesting its a car for those that beat women and have an inferiority complex?

--------------------

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting." - Gen. Curtis E. LeMay

"Pale Ebenezer thought it wrong to fight, But Roaring Bill (who killed him) thought it right." - Hilaire Belloc

"I have come here to chew bubblegum, and kick ass; and I am all out of bubblegum."
+Quote Post
FiveCar
post Jan 30 2015, 08:55 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Fortis: It's interesting that the manual says there's a lane-change mode. Could it potentially have somehow been turned off in the particular Huracan I drove? I definitely tried light-touch and brief-touch in multiple ways, on two different days, before giving up.

Thanks for sharing the manual pages, though -- really helpful!
+Quote Post
rampante
post Jan 30 2015, 11:16 PM
Post #12

Fortis,
After looking at the "Windscreen washer/Wiper buttons" page that you posted. More confusion, as I read it !!!

1) It appears there is no way to manually turn on the wipers for continuous action? You must wait for a rain sensor to turn on your wipers ?? I want to be able to switch my wipers fully on, manually if necessary !
2) Button #4 has the 'windscreen washer' icon on it .... How does that same switch also turn the wipers off (as stated on the page)? As you are holding it down to shut off the wipers, is it squirting out windscreen washer fluid? This makes no sense; maybe you can elaborate ?

P.S. Did you notice the Cruise Control is shown, even though it's not on the 2015MY ? I guess it's on the way. wink.gif
+Quote Post
Fortis
post Jan 31 2015, 12:31 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (FiveCar @ Jan 31 2015, 02:55 PM) *
Fortis: It's interesting that the manual says there's a lane-change mode. Could it potentially have somehow been turned off in the particular Huracan I drove? I definitely tried light-touch and brief-touch in multiple ways, on two different days, before giving up.

Thanks for sharing the manual pages, though -- really helpful!

You most welcome, if there is anything else that interests you I can post it.

I am not sure about the one you drove but my car behaves exactly as per the manual, one push left or right for a few blinks for passing, side push and slight hold for locking the indicator, push the button to cancel all functions, once you get use to it it's very handy, I personally like it and I'd love the option for my DD.
+Quote Post
Fortis
post Jan 31 2015, 12:51 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE (rampante @ Jan 31 2015, 05:16 PM) *
Fortis,
After looking at the "Windscreen washer/Wiper buttons" page that you posted. More confusion, as I read it !!!

1) It appears there is no way to manually turn on the wipers for continuous action? You must wait for a rain sensor to turn on your wipers ?? I want to be able to switch my wipers fully on, manually if necessary !
2) Button #4 has the 'windscreen washer' icon on it .... How does that same switch also turn the wipers off (as stated on the page)? As you are holding it down to shut off the wipers, is it squirting out windscreen washer fluid? This makes no sense; maybe you can elaborate ?

P.S. Did you notice the Cruise Control is shown, even though it's not on the 2015MY ? I guess it's on the way. wink.gif

The previous photo was from the quick guide, here you have few shots of the relevant pages from the Owner's handbook.

You can manually increase and decrease the speed of the wipers and they will hold until you manually cancel them, I drove in the rain so I can tell you that from experience.

On your second point, you don't press on the button with the washer fluid symbol to stop the wipers you press the button below it, the button has three functions similar with the indicator button, you can push left, right and press directly on it, very intuitive once you get used to it and it's a matter of minutes until you get how it works.

With these controls, DCT pedals, indicator switch and wiper blades switch I find my hands being on the wheel all the time, which is a good thing because this thing MOVES smile.gif

Attached File  image.jpg ( 623.11K ) Number of downloads: 50

Attached File  image.jpg ( 671.71K ) Number of downloads: 54

You are right about the cruise control symbols they are pictured but nowhere do they mention them in the manual, I carefully read those sections, I am sure they will offer the option soon.
+Quote Post
MrDoctor
post Jan 31 2015, 10:28 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 9,711

Nice write up!

How do you do an awesome drive like that, and provide no pictures of the car/coast!!! biggrin.gif

To be honest, reviews about exotics and practicality make me cringe. No cup holders, over steer, under steer, trunk space etc....imo these concerns are irrelevant, because that isn't the purpose for a car like a huracan.

However, I do not disagree with your opinion. People like Ferrari, Mercedes over BMW, etc. Everyone just has a preference as to what they like to drive, different companies do things better than others, some more intuitive to others, etc. Different feels, different designs, different materials, different controls, for different brands.
+Quote Post
rampante
post Jan 31 2015, 10:42 AM
Post #16

Thank you so much Fortis.
I must nitpick, however:
So .... there is no true manual switch to activate and run the wipers? You have to wait for a sensor to start them? That is very strange.
Also, this car only has 2 wiper speeds. ..... Very low budget, indeed! sad.gif (I bet the Audi R8 won't have this set-up).
Not that I would, but what happens to those who might run their car through a car wash (shocked.gif)?? The wipers start running while going through the wash bay and get damaged?? There should be a non-automatic mode and a way to turn off the rain sensor, as most cars have.
This set-up was not well thought out, IMO.
+Quote Post
Chipster
post Jan 31 2015, 11:12 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 3,902

Motorcycles, you have to manually kill the switch to get them off. I eont think it would bother me much if I had to do it in a car too. I don't even have a car with Nav lol, I don't know how you guys drive anywhere with all these features.

--------------------

05 Gallardo - 6 speed, Arancio Borealis, Tubi exhaust, SL wing, 560 bumper
15 Toyota Tundra Platinum -7" BDS, FUEL wheels and 37s, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP
67 Cadillac DeVille Coupe, custom, bagged, glass packs, white walls
66 Ford Mustang Coupe - Restomod PROJECT
13 Harley Road Glide Custom - 30" wheel, stretched bags, air ride - SOLD
07 Suzuki Hayabusa - 330mm rear, lowered, Eclipse wheels - SOLD
91 Diablo - 19/19" Work VS - SP Eng Intakes - Fabspeed - SOLD
+Quote Post
RM-S8
post Jan 31 2015, 01:36 PM
Post #18

Group: Lambo Owner
Member No.: 209,471

QUOTE (FiveCar @ Jan 29 2015, 09:24 PM) *

Are you a relative of Destructo by any chance?

--------------------

QUOTE (Destructo @ Jan 27 2015, 09:34 AM) *
Regardless, he'll appreciate that I call myself an asshole in public ;)
+Quote Post
TheFilipinoStig
post Jan 31 2015, 01:46 PM
Post #19

Resident Raptor Game Warden

Member No.: 6,125

Interesting write-up. Curious to hear what you think of the 458/12C vs the Huracan.

--------------------

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” - Hemingway
+Quote Post
Fortis
post Jan 31 2015, 02:17 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE (rampante @ Feb 1 2015, 04:42 AM) *
Thank you so much Fortis.
I must nitpick, however:
So .... there is no true manual switch to activate and run the wipers? You have to wait for a sensor to start them? That is very strange.
Also, this car only has 2 wiper speeds. ..... Very low budget, indeed! sad.gif (I bet the Audi R8 won't have this set-up).
Not that I would, but what happens to those who might run their car through a car wash (shocked.gif)?? The wipers start running while going through the wash bay and get damaged?? There should be a non-automatic mode and a way to turn off the rain sensor, as most cars have.
This set-up was not well thought out, IMO.

Haha you are really fixated on this aren't you, manual mode is when you push either right or left, manual overrides auto, the more you push to the right for example the faster it goes (they are fast) the more you push to the left the slower it goes, (you can incrementally increase or decrease the speed by pushing sideways the button) you can press directly on to cancel the function, you can press and hold the button which has the spray symbol on and the wipers will completely stop working auto or otherwise until you trigger them again by pushing any of the buttons or I guess until you start the engine, not really sure but I can test it for you, I just don't want to run them in the garage on a dry windscreen anymore, I don't want to scratch the screen.

It's a very advance system, very intuitive, easy to operate, better than in any other car I had, you reading too much into it, wait until you get yours (if you are getting one) and you will see how easy and convenient it is to run.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd February 2018 - 09:42 PM

> Our Sponsors

your alt tag