IPB

X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone looking at investing in Facebook Stocks?, Stepping into the 'Rift.
IanMan
post Nov 6 2015, 01:18 PM
Post #41

Formerly Doc K

Group: Official LP Member
Member No.: 210,225

QUOTE (Scotty @ Nov 6 2015, 01:04 PM) *
I have been working on a project that uses VR and Haptics to teach surgeons how to operate. Imagine if a surgeon could remove your gall bladder 500 times before they even touched the first live patient and the Haptics would add sensory feel of cutting tissue. Right now the only practice a surgeon gets is with cadavers, which keep going up in cost. Or in the operating room with another surgeon present. Race car drivers have been using VR to drive a course the night before a race. Now add Haptics and they can feel the road.

THIS

--------------------

QUOTE (capt_chaos @ May 19 2017, 12:59 PM) *
That said I seen some pictures of people on this website and they do not look like they have evolved properly.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kerplop
post Nov 6 2015, 02:33 PM
Post #42

I'm addicted....

Group: Lambo Owner
Member No.: 9,285

I have been working on a project that uses VR and Haptics to teach surgeons how to operate. Imagine if a surgeon could remove your gall bladder 500 times before they even touched the first live patient and the Haptics would add sensory feel of cutting tissue. Right now the only practice a surgeon gets is with cadavers, which keep going up in cost. Or in the operating room with another surgeon present. Race car drivers have been using VR to drive a course the night before a race. Now add Haptics and they can feel the road.

Now that is awesome.

--------------------

QUOTE (12097 @ Feb 11 2007, 06:32 PM) *
With respect to rearward visibility................
Whatsa behinda you no matta, ifa you a fasta

Someday I want one of them diables.
+Quote Post
Fortis
post Nov 6 2015, 03:59 PM
Post #43

Group Icon

Group: LPower VIP
Member No.: 7,524

QUOTE (Kerplop @ Nov 7 2015, 08:33 AM) *
Now that is awesome.

iamwithstupid.gif

I love people thinking outside the box, well done Scotty.
+Quote Post
Rawr
post Nov 7 2015, 08:11 AM
Post #44

Talent is Talent

Member No.: 11,867

Read today they are using VR to show people scenarious where they decide against drinking/for drinking and show consequences to curb alcoholism.

--------------------

The Russians also bought the «Lamborghini of Emendator», the cost of which amounted to 17 million rubles.
+Quote Post
stevenh766
post Jul 11 2016, 06:26 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 4,427

QUOTE (stevenh766 @ Jun 17 2015, 09:20 AM) *
I've been following VR for a while and have posted before that I think it is going to be 'the next big thing'. My 65 year old mother, who has no care for tech, was absolutely blown away by the DK2 when I gave her a demo and was ecstatic about where this tech could be in 10-15 years when she won't be as mobile as she is now. This, and my friends that have no interest in gaming say they want to get a PC and Oculus when they become available, makes me think there is real potential for this to catch on and have some legs on it.

My take on investing in VR:

Facebook picked up Oculus, but that isn't even a drop in the bucket for a $275BN company. Lets say Oculus catches on and is worth $10BN in 2017. That $8BN in appreciation is a ~3% gain in value for the company. Yeehaw.

I'm betting on the chips that power the VR experience. For those who don't know, VR is VERY demanding and requires a powerful GPU to deliver a good experience. Oculus has stated that the minimum spec for the first consumer version is going to be Nvidia's GTX 970. Yes, there will be an AMD equivalent, but I think NVDA is a better run company and their balance sheet is strong as hell (I think ~$5 per share is reflective of their cash holdings). When VR catches on there are going to be LOTS and LOTS of people upgrading their GPUs and new customers coming in purchasing PCs that have these GPUs. Additionally, this serves as a bit of a mitigant, as there are several companies releasing VR headsets, but they are all useless without the computing horsepower behind them. Even if Oculus doesn't win the race, it is 99% certain that Nvidia or AMD will be powering whoever does. For what its worth, AMD is powering the Xbox One and PS4, but that only applies to this generation of console and its an open playing field going forward. I view Nvidia as a clear leader in the PC arena.

So, I'm long NVDA. Been buying since ~$12 and I think my weighted cost is a little south of $17 now. They also have big upside potential from other businesses.

A. Just released a streaming gaming service (think NetFlix for games).
B. Automotive computing. Their chips are showing up in Audis, VWs, Teslas, etc.
C. They're making a big push to be the leader in self driving cars: http://www.cnbc.com/id/102697961

Well guys, I don't know how much easier I could have made this for you biggrin.gif (pats self on back). Up about 150% and one of, if not the, top performing stock in the S&P over the last 12 months. The GPU business, which their nearing a monopoly in, is the bread and butter and the applications for these chips are expanding daily... deep learning, AI, cloud computing, autonomous driving are all cutting edge stuff that Nvidia drives. VR is probably still 5-10 years off, but it will change the world. I'm not a seller until we see a $100bn market cap.
+Quote Post
MrDoctor
post Jul 11 2016, 09:09 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 9,711

QUOTE (stevenh766 @ Jul 11 2016, 07:26 PM) *
Well guys, I don't know how much easier I could have made this for you biggrin.gif (pats self on back). Up about 150% and one of, if not the, top performing stock in the S&P over the last 12 months. The GPU business, which their nearing a monopoly in, is the bread and butter and the applications for these chips are expanding daily... deep learning, AI, cloud computing, autonomous driving are all cutting edge stuff that Nvidia drives. VR is probably still 5-10 years off, but it will change the world. I'm not a seller until we see a $100bn market cap.

Legit call.
+Quote Post
stevenh766
post Dec 16 2016, 04:25 PM
Post #47

That gets us somewhere between a 4.5 and 5x multiple in 18 months.

+Quote Post
MrDoctor
post Dec 16 2016, 06:46 PM
Post #48

I want to "invest" in VR companies so badly. It's infancy just scares me a little bit, because no companies are really "experts" at VR and most companies are private. Hard to see, reason why I like FB stock so much because they hold Oculus.
+Quote Post
Rawr
post Dec 16 2016, 10:38 PM
Post #49

Talent is Talent

Ok guys on VR and AI, this is definitely worth your time:

Give this a listen, Kevin Kelly is like a prophet about technology, predicted internet before there was one. Go to 1:13:00 he talks about what they can do with VR now, until about 1:25. Second life is a game online for people to hang out with each other kinda like Sims but multiplayer. But if you start at 1:05 its a pretty good take on what AI will do for jobs, etc. And if you go after 1:25 he will talk about what hackers can do to destroy physical properties, it goes a for a few mins, anyway its interesting shit coming down the pipe. Easy to see this being the next huge thing,and he says right now there are no VR or AI experts.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/e/9/8/e98d45368a...420b78850bd7467

As a teaser, he says we'll have VR sex on mass scale within 5 years. Add Ai and haptics to that and..we're gonna have some interesting social adjustments.

--------------------

The Russians also bought the «Lamborghini of Emendator», the cost of which amounted to 17 million rubles.
+Quote Post
Scotty
post Dec 18 2016, 05:23 AM
Post #50

Multi-Lambo Owner

Group: Multi-Lambo Owner
Member No.: 15,160

QUOTE (Rawr @ Dec 17 2016, 01:38 AM) *
Ok guys on VR and AI, this is definitely worth your time:

Give this a listen, Kevin Kelly is like a prophet about technology, predicted internet before there was one. Go to 1:13:00 he talks about what they can do with VR now, until about 1:25. Second life is a game online for people to hang out with each other kinda like Sims but multiplayer. But if you start at 1:05 its a pretty good take on what AI will do for jobs, etc. And if you go after 1:25 he will talk about what hackers can do to destroy physical properties, it goes a for a few mins, anyway its interesting shit coming down the pipe. Easy to see this being the next huge thing,and he says right now there are no VR or AI experts.

[url="http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/e/9/8/e98d45368aca119c/The_Tim_Ferris_Show_-_Kevin_Kelly_and_The_Inevitable.mp3?c_id=11883627&expiration=1480825969&hwt=809d53e0b581cbade420b78850bd7467"]http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/e/9/8/e98d45368a...420b78850bd7467[/

As a teaser, he says we'll have VR sex on mass scale within 5 years. Add Ai and haptics to that and..we're gonna have some interesting social adjustments.

Ready for all of it.

--------------------

Scotty
2014 Aventador -Giallo Horus-Matte Yellow Roadster
2017 Huracon Spyder Blu Cepheus
2018 Performante Spyder-on order
2015 Tesla Model P85D
2014 Pontiac Trans Am Bandit
+Quote Post
escobar
post Dec 18 2016, 06:38 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 3,666

QUOTE (stevenh766 @ Dec 16 2016, 07:25 PM) *

That gets us somewhere between a 4.5 and 5x multiple in 18 months.

I bought in after a bit of research which begun with your July 2015 post. .. Thanks!!!
+Quote Post
MrDoctor
post Dec 18 2016, 07:36 PM
Post #52

QUOTE (Rawr @ Dec 16 2016, 10:38 PM) *

Great news, this should motivate mankind to get this thing on the fast track asap biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
stevenh766
post Dec 19 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #53

QUOTE (escobar @ Dec 18 2016, 07:38 PM) *
I bought in after a bit of research which begun with your July 2015 post. .. Thanks!!!

Great to hear! I had been trying to get friends and family into this thing for years and the only had two or three jump on board.
+Quote Post
stevenh766
post May 16 2017, 07:01 PM
Post #54

Closed north of $135 today. That gets us somewhere between a 6 or 7 multiple in 24 months... Share some pictures of those NVDA lambos guys!
+Quote Post
KenQV
post May 18 2017, 07:43 PM
Post #55

Group: LP Member 2
Member No.: 206,239

Played out by now?
+Quote Post
escobar
post May 19 2017, 06:45 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 3,666

QUOTE (KenQV @ May 18 2017, 11:43 PM) *
Played out by now?

Might be inflated for the near term but I believe I'm a believer in their future:
http://www.nvidia.ca/object/drive-px.html

+Quote Post
stevenh766
post May 19 2017, 08:02 AM
Post #57

QUOTE (KenQV @ May 18 2017, 08:43 PM) *
Played out by now?

I sold 50% of my position at a touch over $100 (I'm an idiot) and bought back 50% of that around $123. There will be ups and downs with a high-flyer like this, but I'm a believer in their long term vision and opportunities. I think I said I'm not a seller until a $100bn market cap somewhere earlier in this thread, but their story has only gotten stronger and now I'm looking more towards $150bn.
+Quote Post
stevenh766
post Feb 28 2018, 08:18 AM
Post #58

QUOTE (stevenh766 @ May 19 2017, 09:02 AM) *
I sold 50% of my position at a touch over $100 (I'm an idiot) and bought back 50% of that around $123. There will be ups and downs with a high-flyer like this, but I'm a believer in their long term vision and opportunities. I think I said I'm not a seller until a $100bn market cap somewhere earlier in this thread, but their story has only gotten stronger and now I'm looking more towards $150bn.

Now that we've hit and are hovering around the $150bn market cap number, I figured I'd poke my head in to remind everyone how fcuking smart I am and see if anyone else has thoughts on the stock. We seem to have been stuck at this $250 price for a little while so either excitement is waning or reality has set in that these pricing levels are absurd. I still think we have room for one more push in pricing. As I'm sure plenty of you know, cryptocurrency has been a HUGE demand driver for both Nvidia and AMD over the last 12 months and third parties (BestBuy, Microcenter, NewEgg, etc) are in a windfall situation where they can't even keep the cards on the shelf even when pricing them 50% - 100% over MSRP. My hope for the next leg up: Nvidia typically announces new products at their GTC conference (coming up at the end of March) and the timing is right for the next generation of consumer/gaming GPU's to show up. These will undoubtedly receive the same or more demand than the current generation of cards. The company would be OUT OF THEIR MIND if they are not raising prices to get in on some of this crypto-action and provide some big, big profit margin upside to their largest revenue generator. I'm down to ~1/3 of my original position, but I will be looking to buy on dips leading up to the conference.
+Quote Post
Rawr
post Feb 28 2018, 12:52 PM
Post #59

Talent is Talent

IMO:

VR needs at least 1060 card. So those who want to get into VR and are looking to be able to play good VR stuff that's coming in 2-3 years, they will buy better (upcoming) cards. That's good.

The bad - Ive heard there is someone making a specific miner chip that will blow GPUs out of the water, and will normalize card prices. That's not bad unless you own the stock though. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevenh766
post Feb 28 2018, 01:01 PM
Post #60

QUOTE (Rawr @ Feb 28 2018, 01:52 PM) *
The bad - Ive heard there is someone making a specific miner chip that will blow GPUs out of the water, and will normalize card prices. That's not bad unless you own the stock though. wink.gif

100%, and I understand that if/when this happens the second hand market may end up FLOODED with high-end cards. I sort of hate that this company is so tied to crypto now, but will move-in for the quick play if the opportunity presents itself (likely through options, as well).
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2018 - 07:52 AM

> Our Sponsors

your alt tag