Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Projector Screen what aspect ratio?
scoote69
post Jan 3 2018, 04:57 PM
Post #21

Group: LP Member 2
Member No.: 72,421

QUOTE (jhbchess @ Jan 3 2018, 05:27 PM) *
most home projectors can't generate that much brightness for a 200" screen. you need like 16 foot lamberts of brightness if your room is completely dark. if you have any ambient light then you may need more like 40 ftl.

(Projector Lumens ÷ Screen Area) x Screen Gain = ftL

edit - here's a calculator page that can help calculate recommended screen size, viewing distance/angle, and the projector lumens and foot lambert stuff.

https://www.projectorscreen.com/projector-screen-calculators

Here is another calculator where you can input various projectors. Keep in mind you need double the ftl for HDR and even more for 3D.

http://www.webprojectorcalculator.com/
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VCR
post Jan 3 2018, 08:15 PM
Post #22

Group: Multi-Lambo Owner
Member No.: 3,591

While I am not disagreeing or disputing with those calculators, they are, at best, just a quick reference. Of course, there are science and parametres that postulate the viewing distance but ultimately, it boils down to whichever and whatever is comfortable to the end user. And if we are talking esoteric, then we'll need a light metre/light spectrum analyzer to calibrate the image properly. With the 4K projectors, it's opening a new can of worms. Those in the know would concur that most specs on projectors such as light output and dynamic contrast are not really relevant anymore since we know how those figures were "achieved". And with the new laser diode bulb available, those rules and the parametres for those calculators will need to be revised again. Japan will start the 8K trial broadcast at the end of this year. The tech is simply advancing too rapidly with little standardization. So each manufacturer will set its own parametres. And in all seriousness, how many "4K" projectors are truly 4K native (i.e. no "pixel shift" allowed)?

Allan, check out the higher-end Sony's and Epson's (not the professional grade ones). Optoma is ok and likely the best bang for the buck. Just remember that you really do get what you paid for though.

CES is less than 1 week away so those who are ready for some new hardware may want to wait a bit and see what's coming. Existing gear may also have price reductions if something new is announced and coming soon.
+Quote Post
jhbchess
post Jan 25 2018, 09:48 AM
Post #23

Group: Lambo Owner
Member No.: 92,628

This projector was at CES from Sony, sits 1 foot from wall. Claims 4k and HDR etc. I didn't see it in person when I was walking around.

http://www.livemint.com/Technology/oslM4mM...creen-from.html

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/201...design-ces-2018

--------------------

2017 Porsche Turbo S
2015 BMW i8 (sold)
2011 UGR TT Performante (sold)
2007 Gallardo Spyder (sold)
Eiffel Tower (sold)
Several bridges (sold)
+Quote Post
VCR
post Jan 25 2018, 12:33 PM
Post #24

^I saw its final prototype in the Fall last year in Japan. While the short-throw capability is impressive, the video quality isn't quite at the same level as what Sony consumer products are capable of. At least it's not $30k-type of quality. Is the production model better? I would hope so but I doubt it will be night & day difference. For 20-25% less, Sony's own VPL-VW885ES is quite a bit superior but at regular-throw distance projection. One is paying for the short-throw distance capability on the LSPX-A1, not for its video quality and for that, IMO, $30k seems too much.
+Quote Post
jhbchess
post Jan 25 2018, 01:48 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 92,628

QUOTE (VCR @ Jan 25 2018, 02:33 PM) *
^I saw its final prototype in the Fall last year in Japan. . . . . Is the production model better?

Not according to what I am reading, the video internals of the 2018 CES product are said to be the same video as the 2017. The difference b/t last year and this year is all the $$ into upgrading the appearance, marble top, glass tweeters, etc.

I read some more reviews and one reviewer noted the picture is not as good as the Sony TVs and that this seems geared toward a high end show piece in somebody's office lobby or a business.

--------------------

2017 Porsche Turbo S
2015 BMW i8 (sold)
2011 UGR TT Performante (sold)
2007 Gallardo Spyder (sold)
Eiffel Tower (sold)
Several bridges (sold)
+Quote Post
PCJR
post Jan 25 2018, 06:55 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 8,280

You can also use projectorcentral.com

Use the projection calculator tab on the left on the home screen.
This will help guide you.

FWIW a 200” diagonal screen is absolutely massive and will require a light
cannon to be effective and worth while.

--------------------

17 R8 V10+
16 Boxster Spyder
14 Cayenne GTS
17 V90R

Lambo History:
07 Gallardo - yellow
08 Gallardo SL - yellow
09 LP560 - black
11 LP570 SL - black - UGR stage 1.5
09 LP560 - silver
13 LP570 SL - black - UGR Stage 3 w/race heads -
Gone - should have never sold it:(
16 Aventador SV - Rosso Bia
15 Huracan - blue
15 Huracan - red
14 Aventador - red

Pete
+Quote Post
VCR
post Jan 25 2018, 07:00 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (jhbchess @ Jan 25 2018, 01:48 PM) *
Not according to what I am reading, the video internals of the 2018 CES product are said to be the same video as the 2017. The difference b/t last year and this year is all the $$ into upgrading the appearance, marble top, glass tweeters, etc.

That's disappointing but not really surprising I guess. I don't think there was any watershed product or something that redefined a genre either.

QUOTE (jhbchess @ Jan 25 2018, 01:48 PM) *
I read some more reviews and one reviewer noted the picture is not as good as the Sony TVs and that this seems geared toward a high end show piece in somebody's office lobby or a business.

Exactly. Or someone who just wants the bragging rights of owning the latest gadget. Notice that it's not even "ES" designated so that says something already.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2018 - 10:03 PM

> Our Sponsors

your alt tag