Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Home-Based Cloud?, Who has done it?
Destructo
post Jan 20 2018, 06:02 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,090

We’re looking into doing all sorts of digital backups of photos lately, (portable hard drives and then in a fire/water proof safe). My other thought was do a home-based personal cloud/media library with an old computer maybe update a few parts.

Anyone done something like that? We’ve got each room hardwired with CAT5 and a newtwork switch for internet. I’m wondering if I can piggy back on the network and make our own private cloud and use it as a media library for digital copies of movies and photos.

Thanks for the information in advance!

--------------------

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting." - Gen. Curtis E. LeMay

"Pale Ebenezer thought it wrong to fight, But Roaring Bill (who killed him) thought it right." - Hilaire Belloc

"I have come here to chew bubblegum, and kick ass; and I am all out of bubblegum."
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
West Palm
post Jan 20 2018, 06:37 PM
Post #2

Group: Official LP Member
Member No.: 9,394

QUOTE (Destructo @ Jan 20 2018, 09:02 PM) *
We’re looking into doing all sorts of digital backups of photos lately, (portable hard drives and then in a fire/water proof safe). My other thought was do a home-based personal cloud/media library with an old computer maybe update a few parts.

Anyone done something like that? We’ve got each room hardwired with CAT5 and a newtwork switch for internet. I’m wondering if I can piggy back on the network and make our own private cloud and use it as a media library for digital copies of movies and photos.

Thanks for the information in advance!

I did this years ago when Microsoft made a product called Home Server. Tried v1 and v2 and gave up on it to just use their cloud.
It's fine for keeping stuff "in house" and relatively secure but it's still plugged in to the net and only as secure as you keep it. If I wanted to do it again I would just use WD's MyCloud instead of building a NAS. The software for MyCloud is supposed to be a little more family friendly.
+Quote Post
Destructo
post Jan 20 2018, 06:48 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (West Palm @ Jan 20 2018, 11:37 PM) *
I did this years ago when Microsoft made a product called Home Server. Tried v1 and v2 and gave up on it to just use their cloud.
It's fine for keeping stuff "in house" and relatively secure but it's still plugged in to the net and only as secure as you keep it. If I wanted to do it again I would just use WD's MyCloud instead of building a NAS. The software for MyCloud is supposed to be a little more family friendly.

Good to know. Going to go look that up!

--------------------

"Pale Ebenezer thought it wrong to fight, But Roaring Bill (who killed him) thought it right." - Hilaire Belloc

"I have come here to chew bubblegum, and kick ass; and I am all out of bubblegum."
+Quote Post
jhbchess
post Jan 20 2018, 07:27 PM
Post #4

Group: Lambo Owner
Member No.: 92,628

I use this. https://www.apple.com/airport-time-capsule/

I have the router function turned off. Using Ubiquiti for household WiFi.

--------------------

2017 Porsche Turbo S
2015 BMW i8 (sold)
2011 UGR TT Performante (sold)
2007 Gallardo Spyder (sold)
Eiffel Tower (sold)
Several bridges (sold)
+Quote Post
emanon
post Jan 20 2018, 07:33 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: LPower VIP
Member No.: 22,556

I have a Qnap TS453A with four WD red drives, 8T storage with full redundancy. Have a portable HD hooked to it that double backs super critical stuff. Drives can be hot swapped right through the front if you ever need to.

Works as my private email server, wifi backup for all our devices, will stream 4K movies as a media server (or hdmi directly into the tv). Comes with a few licenses to run ip cameras, and tons of available apps.

It's a little overkill for typical home use, but it works awesome. The biggest thing for me was the awesome user interface, im not an it expert so it needed to be pretty simple to use.

--------------------

QUOTE (Modo)
I bought my Lambo with section 8 rent. True story.
+Quote Post
sprite
post Jan 20 2018, 08:11 PM
Post #6

V1P

Group: Multi-Lambo Owner
Member No.: 8,895

QUOTE (jhbchess @ Jan 20 2018, 11:27 PM) *
I use this. https://www.apple.com/airport-time-capsule/

I have the router function turned off. Using Ubiquiti for household WiFi.

Have you tried to actually restore from it? I had to restore some files from an airport time capsule a while back and the process was buggy and extremely slow.

--------------------

Luck isn't some mystical energy that dances around the universe randomly bestowing people with satisfaction and joy, we create our own luck.

'18 Lamborghini Huracan LP 610-4 Spyder [Verde Mantis]
'16 Porsche GT3RS
'17 Dodge Viper ACR Extreme [Black w/Silver Stripes]
'18 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk [Black]

Sold: '96 Dodge Viper RT/10, '05 Dodge Ram SRT-10 TT, '05 Lamborghini Gallardo, '06 Lamborghini Murcielago, '06 Corvette Zee-06, '06 Ford GT, '07 Ferrari F430 Spider, '08 Lamborghini Gallardo SLTT, '08 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, '13 Nissan GTR, '13 McLaren MP4-12C Spider, '12 Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 SL, '15 Huracan LP610-4 Coupe, '10 Lamborghini Murcielago LP 670-4 SV
+Quote Post
Fortis
post Jan 20 2018, 10:05 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 7,524

QUOTE (sprite @ Jan 21 2018, 02:11 PM) *
Have you tried to actually restore from it? I had to restore some files from an airport time capsule a while back and the process was buggy and extremely slow.

I had the same experience.
+Quote Post
jhbchess
post Jan 20 2018, 10:43 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 92,628

QUOTE (sprite @ Jan 20 2018, 10:11 PM) *

fcuk no. I drink wine and gamble on bitcoin.

--------------------

2017 Porsche Turbo S
2015 BMW i8 (sold)
2011 UGR TT Performante (sold)
2007 Gallardo Spyder (sold)
Eiffel Tower (sold)
Several bridges (sold)
+Quote Post
capt_chaos
post Jan 21 2018, 12:55 AM
Post #9

The Limey
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,693

QUOTE (emanon @ Jan 21 2018, 03:33 AM) *
I have a Qnap TS453A with four WD red drives, 8T storage with full redundancy. Have a portable HD hooked to it that double backs super critical stuff. Drives can be hot swapped right through the front if you ever need to.

Works as my private email server, wifi backup for all our devices, will stream 4K movies as a media server (or hdmi directly into the tv). Comes with a few licenses to run ip cameras, and tons of available apps.

It's a little overkill for typical home use, but it works awesome. The biggest thing for me was the awesome user interface, im not an it expert so it needed to be pretty simple to use.

This

Qnap do some wicked kit that would meet your brief and more. Time capsule is a very expensive overrated nas box.

--------------------

Get Milk
+Quote Post
Destructo
post Jan 21 2018, 04:47 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (emanon @ Jan 21 2018, 12:33 AM) *

Ding ding ding! We have a winner, i’ll Be looking into this, because it sounds exactly what I need. I prefer overkill and over engineered.

Thanks so much everyone for the input!

--------------------

+Quote Post
TestShoot
post Jan 22 2018, 09:43 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 15,154

"the cloud" lol
"personal cloud" bigger lol

As soon as you say personal cloud, it translates to NAS with a buggy interface from a vendor. The transfer times get sluggish compared to just mapping a network drive and copying over. WD made me return their device after three hours of copying 50gb worth of files and it choking on a single 10gb movie, locking up my 'puter and corrupting the file on the NAS's end.

I attached a NAS from Buffalo and Qnap and I also have an SSD in an external USB case directly on my router.

--------------------

In my owners book, page 2 congratulated me on owning best track car in world and page 3 warned me taking on track can void warranty!
+Quote Post
FikseSTS
post Jan 22 2018, 10:39 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 11,050

synology has a bunch of options...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th August 2018 - 06:02 AM

> Our Sponsors

your alt tag your alt tag' your alt tag' your alt tag