2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 991.2 GT3 or 570S
Luxeous
post Jan 24 2018, 11:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Lambo Owner
Member No.: 12,829

Hey guys - looking to get a new daily driver / 2nd fun car now that we've got two kids as of last Wednesday. smile.gif

I've narrowed it down to two cars I really like right now - the new GT3 (manual) and the 570S.

I haven't gotten a chance to drive the new GT3 yet (working on it) but as a stick with a 9k redline it's pretty much a perfect daily / canyon carver in Malibu. The 570S, which I have driven, is incredible performance at a great price when buying used.

I am 100% new to the Porsche world but from what I understand a key takeaway from the GT cars is how well they maintain their value - I know the RS does even more than the standard GT3 so I just want to make sure that I'm not asking to lose a fortune when buying new compared to a used 570S.

Appreciate your input.

PS. New baby is perfectly healthy and the wife is too. Never thought I could love a second child as much as I do my first but the moment I saw him my heart literally expanded. Absolutely unreal feeling.

--------------------

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
emanon
post Jan 24 2018, 12:27 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: LPower VIP
Member No.: 22,556

Congrats on the healthy baby!

GT3 without question. Beyond being awesome you can essentially drive it for free for the next few years in terms of maintenance, depreciation, etc. You'll likely take a bath on the Mac.

--------------------

QUOTE (Modo)
I bought my Lambo with section 8 rent. True story.
+Quote Post
Luxeous
post Jan 24 2018, 12:47 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (emanon @ Jan 24 2018, 12:27 PM) *
Congrats on the healthy baby!

GT3 without question. Beyond being awesome you can essentially drive it for free for the next few years in terms of maintenance, depreciation, etc. You'll likely take a bath on the Mac.

Thank you! That was my concern with the Mac as well, it's crazy how much they drop. Having a manual in a car like the Gt3 (a car I actually fit well in lol) is the best of both worlds.

--------------------

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
+Quote Post
Supercar Ace
post Jan 24 2018, 02:26 PM
Post #4

Jedi Ninja

Group: Official LP Member
Member No.: 8,919

Congrats again on the most important addition my good sir icon_thumleft.gif

If a manual is a deal-breaker, then you have to go with the Porsche since McLaren doesn't offer it. The 570S is a fun machine, especially the Spyder, but I hates the brakes on that car. The feel is just off...

GT3's are beasts and the 991.2 looks way better than the 991.1. Might be worth slightly waiting for the 991.2 RS announcement to see what that will be like, but as far as daily's go I'd rate the Porsche 1 point above the McLaren in the sense that it's a bit more spacious and has the manual option.

My 2 Cents.

We need to do another cruise again soon icon_thumleft.gif

--------------------

- Without Fear -

Top Gear: In eleven years at the company you’ve met a huge number of your customers, can you tell us what a typical Lamborghini owner is like?

Stephan Winkleman: It seems very superficial, but it’s really male. Usually, they’re all self-made men – ranging from those in the 20s right up to men in their 70s. They’re very proud of their product, and they have no fear to be seen in a car like this.

And when I speak to them, I feel that they buy into a world, not only into a product. So it’s also a lifestyle, an idea they see behind that. And they enjoy the car as something that is rewarding them for the hard work they’re doing, or a dream that came true after, say, saving for 20 years.
+Quote Post
Allan-Herbie
post Jan 24 2018, 04:28 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5

I do not think the 991.2 Gt3 is generating the buzz of the previous model.

--------------------

87 Countach QV
98 Diablo SV Monterey Edition
02 Murcielago
05 Carrera GT
89 928S4
+Quote Post
Destructo
post Jan 25 2018, 07:37 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,090

Congrats on the new addition. Having kids literally expands your ability to love, it’s pretty incredible.

Best of luck with the new car search!

--------------------

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting." - Gen. Curtis E. LeMay

"Pale Ebenezer thought it wrong to fight, But Roaring Bill (who killed him) thought it right." - Hilaire Belloc

"I have come here to chew bubblegum, and kick ass; and I am all out of bubblegum."
+Quote Post
Supercar Ace
post Jan 25 2018, 03:21 PM
Post #7

Jedi Ninja

Group: Official LP Member
Member No.: 8,919

QUOTE (Allan-Herbie @ Jan 24 2018, 04:28 PM) *
I do not think the 991.2 Gt3 is generating the buzz of the previous model.

Because Porsche is actually doing what they should have done from the get go: Give their customers the car they wanted, a GT3 with a manual. Not a wingless GT3 (911R), not a 911 engine in a manual car (GT4), but an actual current GT3 with a manual. The new 991.2 is more like "It's about damn time" lol.gif

--------------------

- Without Fear -

Top Gear: In eleven years at the company you’ve met a huge number of your customers, can you tell us what a typical Lamborghini owner is like?

Stephan Winkleman: It seems very superficial, but it’s really male. Usually, they’re all self-made men – ranging from those in the 20s right up to men in their 70s. They’re very proud of their product, and they have no fear to be seen in a car like this.

And when I speak to them, I feel that they buy into a world, not only into a product. So it’s also a lifestyle, an idea they see behind that. And they enjoy the car as something that is rewarding them for the hard work they’re doing, or a dream that came true after, say, saving for 20 years.
+Quote Post
Fortis
post Jan 25 2018, 10:12 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 7,524

Huge congrats on the new addition.

GT3 over the Mac without a question.
+Quote Post
Luxeous
post Jan 26 2018, 09:35 AM
Post #9

Thanks guys! I think I'm leaning towards the GT3 as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sprite
post Jan 26 2018, 03:43 PM
Post #10

V1P

Group: Multi-Lambo Owner
Member No.: 8,895

Any discount on the GT3 or expect to order at MSRP? What is availability like on the RS version, is that something I can put a deposit on or do I need to be an existing Porsche customer?

I've never owned a Porsche before but I am intrigued.

--------------------

Luck isn't some mystical energy that dances around the universe randomly bestowing people with satisfaction and joy, we create our own luck.

'18 Lamborghini Huracan LP 610-4 Spyder [Verde Mantis]
'16 Porsche GT3RS
'17 Dodge Viper ACR Extreme [Black w/Silver Stripes]
'18 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk [Black]

Sold: '96 Dodge Viper RT/10, '05 Dodge Ram SRT-10 TT, '05 Lamborghini Gallardo, '06 Lamborghini Murcielago, '06 Corvette Zee-06, '06 Ford GT, '07 Ferrari F430 Spider, '08 Lamborghini Gallardo SLTT, '08 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, '13 Nissan GTR, '13 McLaren MP4-12C Spider, '12 Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 SL, '15 Huracan LP610-4 Coupe, '10 Lamborghini Murcielago LP 670-4 SV
+Quote Post
emanon
post Jan 26 2018, 03:49 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 22,556

QUOTE (sprite @ Jan 26 2018, 03:43 PM) *
Any discount on the GT3 or expect to order at MSRP? What is availability like on the RS version, is that something I can put a deposit on or do I need to be an existing Porsche customer?

GT2RS eusa_dance.gif

--------------------

QUOTE (Modo)
I bought my Lambo with section 8 rent. True story.
+Quote Post
RobberBaron
post Jan 26 2018, 04:51 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 212,884

I also echo people's opinions on choosing the GT3 over the 570S. Porsche has been knocking it out of the park with the 991 generation of 911s (both the .1 & .2) and the .2 GT3s are no exception. I really like the new scoops over the engine on the .2 GT3s too. A family member of mine has a Macan S (I know that isn't very similar to the GT3) and it is a fantastic car. Porsche has also been great with any warranty issues/work that has needed to be done. Resale is another issue altogether, but as others have said, the GT3 will kill the 570S in that department.

--------------------

2003 Lamborghini Murcielago
2015 Chevy Corvette
2007 Ford Mustang
2013 Dodge Charger
+Quote Post
RobberBaron
post Jan 26 2018, 04:55 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 212,884

QUOTE (sprite @ Jan 26 2018, 06:43 PM) *

I have heard both. I think it really depends on the dealership you are working with. I know they normally reserve the RS versions for their existing customers, but you can put your name on the list even if you aren't an existing customer. Supposedly Porsche is building as many GT2 RSs as people will order, but they will only build them for a year. I am not sure if that is something that interests you or not.

As far as discounts, I don't think there are any on the .2 GT3s. Lots of people/dealers are listing them for over MSRP, but who knows what they are actually selling for.

--------------------

2003 Lamborghini Murcielago
2015 Chevy Corvette
2007 Ford Mustang
2013 Dodge Charger
+Quote Post
sprite
post Jan 26 2018, 05:33 PM
Post #14

V1P

QUOTE (RobberBaron @ Jan 26 2018, 08:55 PM) *
I have heard both. I think it really depends on the dealership you are working with. I know they normally reserve the RS versions for their existing customers, but you can put your name on the list even if you aren't an existing customer. Supposedly Porsche is building as many GT2 RSs as people will order, but they will only build them for a year. I am not sure if that is something that interests you or not.

As far as discounts, I don't think there are any on the .2 GT3s. Lots of people/dealers are listing them for over MSRP, but who knows what they are actually selling for.

Perfect. I will go try the GT3 at the PEC ( https://www.porschedriving.com/porsche-expe...hParticipants=1 ) and then visit dealer afterwards if I like it and see what my options are.

--------------------

Luck isn't some mystical energy that dances around the universe randomly bestowing people with satisfaction and joy, we create our own luck.

'16 Porsche GT3RS

Sold: '96 Dodge Viper RT/10, '05 Dodge Ram SRT-10 TT, '05 Lamborghini Gallardo, '06 Lamborghini Murcielago, '06 Corvette Zee-06, '06 Ford GT, '07 Ferrari F430 Spider, '08 Lamborghini Gallardo SLTT, '08 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, '13 Nissan GTR, '13 McLaren MP4-12C Spider, '12 Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 SL, '15 Huracan LP610-4 Coupe, '10 Lamborghini Murcielago LP 670-4 SV
+Quote Post
CHADW
post Jan 26 2018, 07:19 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 8,402

GT3s are selling over sticker and they are great cars. The RS is more extreme and will be very hard/expensive to get. 2016’s are hovering around sticker now. The gt3 is really refined with all the creature comforts and makes a great daily driver. They are available in 6sp and pdk now.
+Quote Post
sprite
post Jan 26 2018, 07:30 PM
Post #16

V1P

QUOTE (CHADW @ Jan 26 2018, 11:19 PM) *
GT3s are selling over sticker and they are great cars. The RS is more extreme and will be very hard/expensive to get. 2016’s are hovering around sticker now. The gt3 is really refined with all the creature comforts and makes a great daily driver. They are available in 6sp and pdk now.

Yeah I was reading on rennlist, seems it will be impossible to find a GT3 @ sticker.

--------------------

'16 Porsche GT3RS

+Quote Post
CHADW
post Jan 26 2018, 08:00 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 8,402

Yeah my dealer just sold mine and it brought good money, although it was a 6sp too. Sticker is a good year away I think.
+Quote Post
sprite
post Jan 26 2018, 08:28 PM
Post #18

V1P

QUOTE (CHADW @ Jan 27 2018, 12:00 AM) *
Yeah my dealer just sold mine and it brought good money, although it was a 6sp too. Sticker is a good year away I think.

Rumor on Reenlist is that GT3 will only be built for 2018, have you heard that or are they just trying to hype pricing? I found one listed a few weeks ago, but not sure if it's still available that I really liked at MSRP + 25k. Does that seem fair?

Trying to figure out my must have options if buying a slightly used or inventory car. I definitely want PDK, PCCB, Bucket Seats, LED Headlights , CF Interior.

Edit: Car I really liked was sold anyways, at least that gives me time to track down an allocation and test drive one before impulse buying.

--------------------

'16 Porsche GT3RS

+Quote Post
capt_chaos
post Jan 27 2018, 04:44 AM
Post #19

The Limey
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,693

QUOTE (Supercar Ace @ Jan 25 2018, 11:21 PM) *
Because Porsche is actually doing what they should have done from the get go: Give their customers the car they wanted, a GT3 with a manual. Not a wingless GT3 (911R), not a 911 engine in a manual car (GT4), but an actual current GT3 with a manual. The new 991.2 is more like "It's about damn time" lol.gif

I actually disagree with this.

Porsche did exactly what it should do and listened to their customers.
They watched what their cars on the market were doing.
They wanted an exclusive run stripped down basics yet finely packaged car so they delivered in the R.
They have full order books on the gt3.2, the turbo and the Panamera turbo.
When you hear that McLaren are already discounting the 720s and some dealers in the US are discounting the performante you see what a first grade job Porsche have done.
Out of all the brands that get mentioned on this board they are the one that is always on the money.

--------------------

Get Milk
+Quote Post
Fortis
post Jan 27 2018, 05:32 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 7,524

IMO I don’t think it’s a fair comparison comparing P cars with exotics , Porsches are different kind of in a class of their own, they aren’t like any other sports car, they are multipurpose sports cars the kind no other brand can offer, Porsche is truly a phenomenon.

They have the build volume with an extremely large cult following and they look subdued enough so you can daily them, much larger customer base, try offering 3000 GT cars when you have 100k deposits taken years in advance, of course you will not discount RRP and of course there will be a premium to pay on the used market and residual retention close to RRP for a longer time than usual.

I wouldn’t DD a Lambo they are a PITA and going to a business meeting in a loud bright color Lambo doesn’t convey the right message in most instances LOL but 9 out of 10 you’d be ok in a P car.

The only thing I hate about Porsche is the dealers, I don’t think I’ve ever met more pompous and arrogant bastards in the car retail world, I bought a few P cars and I’d buy more but TBH the dealers annoy me too much LOL.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th August 2018 - 06:47 PM

> Our Sponsors

your alt tag your alt tag' your alt tag' your alt tag