Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2011 LP550-2..BEST kept secret!
Lambo Power > Marketplace > Cats' Cars
Pages: 1, 2
toyroy2003
SO I recently had the chance to spend the day and nght with a NEW 2011 LP550-2. I had the 2010 LP550-2 "Balboni" car for about 400 miles a bit back. It was a good car, but lacked in suspension and just did not have the UMFF feeling to it for me. It was also just a little to plain jane for me.... SO I was a little like, OK what can be new about this, the "Stripe Delete" kit..?

Well, let me tell you..HANDS down a totaly new machine. They did re-work a lot of the suspension items, the adjusted exhaust is great, the E-Gear box (which we all know is not my favorite) is just incrediable. The car I tested had Rossa Corsa tires, Nav, rear color camera, electric and heated seats, clear engine bonnet with the Bi-Color Sportiva look, ALL for around $200K!!. I mean think about it, where can you get a pretty decked out Exotic, 3 year unlimited mile warranty in striking colors and perfomance far that price BRAND NEW now?.

I was very very impressed with the new suspension and ride, also had settings for sport and corssa mode as well..it shifts smooth and quick, a real suprise in operation to me. The exhuast note is nothing short of "school girl" make you smile sound. I love the feature of the on/off rear view camera...even as your driving, puch a button and see whats behind you at any time. The on/off switch for the DRL is pretty cool as well...leave them on for the stealth look at day or turn them off..

I was impressed with the new headliner design and fit. It has the nice stitching down the center to match the seats stictching and has a little more design to it, not just a plain headliner as prior. The rougher ride of the older suspension is gone, still firm, but now enjoyable for under 45mph city driving. The happy loose end and quick fish tail of the 2010 MY is gone and the control of the car and re-action with the steering and the rear coming around is gone, replaced in 10 fold increased in control and sensiable handling over the 2010MY.

This car was also equiped with the $750 "light option", which at first note WHY.? But not only does it have the LED lights that light up your motor under it's glass show case..BUT it has LED lights in the bottom of the doors as well as the foot wells..this is a very very nice feature at night..you open the door and you can see where your feet go and it really lights up the ground your exiting to..kind of gives the car a "Red carpet" entrance anytime you exit and it illuminates all around the undeside as well as the cool V10 under the Glass. Also nice that if you wish, with the touch of the remote, it will light it up the engine bay till you hit the lock feature again..a great conversation piece for around the car at night and doubles as a lighted picnic table as well..LOL

The Bi-color is really striking on the car, paint of top quailty and makes the lines n the car just so much crisper and gives it tha ready to "take off" haunch look. You almost view it as Buggatti Veryon with the rich Gloss black roof and bright Blue metalic paint scheme, matched to its Black interior leather with contrasting body color blue stitching...very very rich looking and classy.

I was truly amazed at this differences and changes for MY 2010 to MY 2011...ALL for the better for around 200K!

I think it is one of the best kept secrets out there..for the money...what a bargin for a new Exotic car today.
VBUGKING
Love the color, but not a fan of rwd Lambos.
Allan-Herbie
I want to drive one.. I think they may be the fastest of the stock Gallardos..
HannibalACP82
QUOTE (toyroy2003 @ May 30 2011, 11:47 AM) *
This car was also equiped with the $750 "light option", which at first note WHY.? But not only does it have the LED lights that light up your motor under it's glass show case.....Also nice that if you wish, with the touch of the remote, it will light it up the engine bay till you hit the lock feature again..a great conversation piece for around the car at night and doubles as a lighted picnic table as well..LOL

You bring the picnic table and I will bring the food. See you around 5:30.
soup
Beautiful color. But I've seemed to lost track now...

So you got the 550-2/Balboni model AND then you got a normal 550-2?
toyroy2003
QUOTE (AllanFerrariLover @ May 30 2011, 09:58 AM) *
I want to drive one.. I think they may be the fastest of the stock Gallardos..

I think you are right..it is ligher weight and the "so called" de-tuned to 550HP..I think is a little bit of BS..I have driven quite afew 09-10 Lp560-4 cars..including the 2011 With 570-4SL I had for a bit...did not use stop watches or anything..but it sure seems a bit quicker then the 560 if not at least the same..and it just was not the noticable under my570-4SL..I would say at least the same..

After all 10HP is nothing when you shave weight...and the 2011 is a bit lighter then the 2010 Lp550-2 due to some new materials used in it as well.

Fly up here and drive this one before it goes back..LOL...or I can arrange one for you down there..

Roy
toyroy2003
QUOTE (soup @ May 30 2011, 10:04 AM) *
Beautiful color. But I've seemed to lost track now...

So you got the 550-2/Balboni model AND then you got a normal 550-2?

I had the 550-2 Balboni last summer, around July...and then sold it..

This one the 2011, just arrived yesterday, I would call it anything but normal..IMO it is a BETTER car the the LP550-2 Balboni..but if you really like the cosmetic look of the Balaboni you can still easily order the stripe kit from Lambor parts Dept and add it to the 2011 MY car..
Allan-Herbie
QUOTE(toyroy2003 @ May 30 2011, 05:12 PM) *
I think you are right..it is ligher weight and the "so called" de-tuned to 550HP..I think is a little bit of BS..I have driven quite afew 09-10 Lp560-4 cars..including the 2011 With 570-4SL I had for a bit...did not use stop watches or anything..but it sure seems a bit quicker then the 560 if not at least the same..and it just was not the noticable under my570-4SL..I would say at least the same..

After all 10HP is nothing when you shave weight...and the 2011 is a bit lighter then the 2010 Lp550-2 due to some new materials used in it as well.

Fly up here and drive this one before it goes back..LOL...or I can arrange one for you down there..

Roy

Im willing to bet the motor is not detuned..
Swil
QUOTE (VBOXKING @ May 30 2011, 09:51 AM) *
Love the color, but not a fan of rwd Lambos.

Which ones have you driven that were rwd from the factory?

I'm willing to bet this is the Gallardo to have...
Fellippe
QUOTE (Swil @ May 30 2011, 01:27 PM) *

iamwithstupid.gif

Carrera GTs, Ford GTs, Vipers, Corvettes, 911 GT2s, all Ferraris.....there's no reason big HP and RWD can't mix.
Dereiter
Thanks for information.
VCR
No doubt it's a great car; should be very fun to drive with all the weight shaved.

The lighting package, although nice, seems a bit weird: the white LED's are nice but why stop there? In particular the overhead map lights. I.e. the car now has a mixture of regular tungsten yellow bulbs plus pure white LED's and the 2 kinds of light don't mix very well. Why not LED's all the way?

I also have reservations on the jet black bi-colour scheme in particular the black A-pillar. IMO, the original SE scheme with just the roof and engine cover blacken out is better. I can live with it being extended down to the panel between the tail lights but the A-pillars and the entire roof line in black seem a bit odd.

Nice car nonetheless.
VBUGKING
QUOTE (Swil @ May 30 2011, 11:27 AM) *

I havent driven any. I am not a fan of RWD cars in general, AWD rules the world....
Fellippe
QUOTE (VBOXKING @ May 30 2011, 02:13 PM) *
I havent driven any. I am not a fan of RWD cars in general, AWD rules the world....

http://formulad.com/schedule/pro-am/

August 21st, Formula D is coming to Nashville. Check it out and report back. icon_mrgreen.gif
soup
QUOTE (toyroy2003 @ May 30 2011, 06:13 PM) *
I had the 550-2 Balboni last summer, around July...and then sold it..

This one the 2011, just arrived yesterday, I would call it anything but normal..IMO it is a BETTER car the the LP550-2 Balboni..but if you really like the cosmetic look of the Balaboni you can still easily order the stripe kit from Lambor parts Dept and add it to the 2011 MY car..

I didn't mean you specific but the models available. smile.gif

Because I like the looks of this car better than the Balboni with the stripe.
Assman
Will there be a 550-2 spyder?
toyroy2003
QUOTE (AllanFerrariLover @ May 30 2011, 10:19 AM) *
Im willing to bet the motor is not detuned..

I would second that...as a matter of fact I have had a few of the Lambo Techs's tell me the same thing..the "Rumor" is that it was a marketing decision to call it 550-2 so as not to compete with the 560-4, with a price of almost 30K base more and a heavier car. I couaght on and they ran with it..
\
I am not a mechanic, but how would you even "De-tune" the same V-10 motor by 10HP..? WHat stick a potato in the exhaust pipe..?
toyroy2003
The other thing the 2011 has, that I dont recall on my 2010..is it now equiped with side head throax air bags...I think this might be the reason for the diierent headliner desing..to hold the side impact air bag modules and bag..?

Are these even in the 2010 LP560-4 cars..?
Mako
QUOTE (toyroy2003 @ May 30 2011, 12:07 PM) *
The other thing the 2011 has, that I dont recall on my 2010..is it now equiped with side head throax air bags...I think this might be the reason for the diierent headliner desing..to hold the side impact air bag modules and bag..?

Are these even in the 2010 LP560-4 cars..?

Far more changes to the 2011 MY products than expected, thanks for reporting on these details Roy.
Phantastik
Love the color!
Carter
Nice !
Allan-Herbie
I think if you Twin Turboed it, but kept the power to around 800 rwhp, you wouldnt have much of, if any traction issues just as on the 4wd version especially on R888's..
VBUGKING
QUOTE (AllanFerrariLover @ May 30 2011, 05:26 PM) *
I think if you Twin Turboed it, but kept the power to around 800 rwhp, you wouldnt have much of, if any traction issues just as on the 4wd version especially on R888's..

You would have traction issues other than from a highway roll. My 600rwhp SLR had all sorts of tracton issues with R888s, so bad that you would never turn off the traction control if you were going under 50.
Allan-Herbie
QUOTE(VBOXKING @ May 30 2011, 11:36 PM) *
You would have traction issues other than from a highway roll. My 600rwhp SLR had all sorts of tracton issues with R888s, so bad that you would never turn off the traction control if you were going under 50.

But SLR makes alot more torque lower, the Gallardo makes it much higher up..
VBUGKING
QUOTE (AllanFerrariLover @ May 30 2011, 05:40 PM) *
But SLR makes alot more torque lower, the Gallardo makes it much higher up..

Haha, that makes no difference....unless you plan on short shifting
Allan-Herbie
QUOTE(VBOXKING @ May 30 2011, 11:41 PM) *
Haha, that makes no difference....unless you plan on short shifting

How is that so? at 10 mph the SLR will make 500 ft lbs of torque. In a Gallardo you will need to be going much faster ( much higher in the rev range) to make 500 ft lbs of torque.. I dont think you would have much of a problem.
VBUGKING
QUOTE (AllanFerrariLover @ May 30 2011, 06:51 PM) *
How is that so? at 10 mph the SLR will make 500 ft lbs of torque. In a Gallardo you will need to be going much faster ( much higher in the rev range) to make 500 ft lbs of torque.. I dont think you would have much of a problem.

yeah, so unless you plan on short shifting the Gallardo, you will easily lose traction up top.
VBUGKING
And, you are dreaming if you think an 800rwhp car is going to hold traction like an awd car will.
Allan-Herbie
QUOTE(VBOXKING @ May 31 2011, 12:56 AM) *
yeah, so unless you plan on short shifting the Gallardo, you will easily lose traction up top.

I dont think so.. You are going much faster. My car with the R888's was able to carry full power in 1st gear at 850rwhp.. Unless I am wrong, the Gallardos AWD system operates that 100% of the power goes to the rear wheels UNLESS it detects slip. So essentially the Gallardo is a rwd car until it senses the tires slipping at which point the coupler will send power to the front..
VBUGKING
QUOTE (AllanFerrariLover @ May 30 2011, 07:09 PM) *
I dont think so.. You are going much faster. My car with the R888's was able to carry full power in 1st gear at 850rwhp.. Unless I am wrong, the Gallardos AWD system operates that 100% of the power goes to the rear wheels UNLESS it detects slip. So essentially the Gallardo is a rwd car until it senses the tires slipping at which point the coupler will send power to the front..

You are wrong
VBUGKING
You car was not rwd and it would not be able to carry the power of 850rwhp if it was.
Mako
QUOTE (VBOXKING @ May 30 2011, 05:11 PM) *
You are wrong

I recall a 30/70 split figure for the Gallardo, just going off vague memory.
DarrinB
With RWD and 850whp it would not get traction until 3rd gear. Sure you can get it to hook with boost by gear in the first 2 gears but that would be less than 850whp.

toyroy2003
QUOTE (VBOXKING @ May 30 2011, 06:11 PM) *
You are wrong

No, actualy Allan is correct.

The normal power split is 65 rear and 35 front..HOWEVER

Under FULL throtle and with no traction loss noted by the computer..it shifts 100% of the power to the rear wheels..it may be limited times it does this, i.e maybe only in a straight line..but the computer does do it..as from what I was told by the engineers for the new 560 and 570SL cars..it is constantly changing the power ratios between to front and rear wheels..I was told that the 100% power may be short lived and remote, but does occurr..but more likely to be in the 90% to the rear under most heavy accelerations and road conditions..

As a matter of record, if you watch launch videos of these cars under full throtle, you will note the front wheels spin just for a split second and then the rear wheels lay donw the burn out and the smoke from the tires..designed to grab the car to a launch point and then throw the power to the rear wheels as it has stabled..

I do know this method IS NOT on the 6 speed manual cars, as I asked, it is a different wire harness and computer set up..which, due to cost was one of the reasons of the discontinuing of the 6 speed manual and was not even considered in the 7 speed 700 cars. As the word from the factory is..as the G platform is changed out in the next 2-3 years..there will be NO 6 speed manual offered on that line up as well..

I was quoted "a 6 speed manual can not control the power equally and properly as well as the computer controlled E-gear and AWD transmission can, the most power made for the car comes from the computer controlled micro seconds of the transmission"

Assman
QUOTE (VBOXKING @ May 30 2011, 05:03 PM) *
And, you are dreaming if you think an 800rwhp car is going to hold traction like an awd car will.

According to UGR the TT f430 and 458 grips well. Maybe one of them can chime in on this.
VBUGKING
QUOTE (toyroy2003 @ May 30 2011, 07:31 PM) *
No, actualy Allan is correct.

The normal power split is 65 rear and 35 front..HOWEVER

Under FULL throtle and with no traction loss noted by the computer..it shifts 100% of the power to the rear wheels..it may be limited times it does this, i.e maybe only in a straight line..but the computer does do it..as from what I was told by the engineers for the new 560 and 570SL cars..it is constantly changing the power ratios between to front and rear wheels..I was told that the 100% power may be short lived and remote, but does occurr..but more likely to be in the 90% to the rear under most heavy accelerations and road conditions..

As a matter of record, if you watch launch videos of these cars under full throtle, you will note the front wheels spin just for a split second and then the rear wheels lay donw the burn out and the smoke from the tires..designed to grab the car to a launch point and then throw the power to the rear wheels as it has stabled..

I do know this method IS NOT on the 6 speed manual cars, as I asked, it is a different wire harness and computer set up..which, due to cost was one of the reasons of the discontinuing of the 6 speed manual and was not even considered in the 7 speed 700 cars. As the word from the factory is..as the G platform is changed out in the next 2-3 years..there will be NO 6 speed manual offered on that line up as well..

I was quoted "a 6 speed manual can not control the power equally and properly as well as the computer controlled E-gear and AWD transmission can, the most power made for the car comes from the computer controlled micro seconds of the transmission"

Thats all besides the point. He is talking about his old car, which was an old Gallardo, not a 550/560/570. The bottom line is, a rwd Gallardo will not hold traction with 850rwhp unless you are short shifting or at highway speeds.
LPDADDY
QUOTE (VBOXKING @ May 30 2011, 06:40 PM) *
Thats all besides the point. He is talking about his old car, which was an old Gallardo, not a 550/560/570. The bottom line is, a rwd Gallardo will not hold traction with 850rwhp unless you are short shifting or at highway speeds.

iamwithstupid.gif
VBUGKING
QUOTE (Gasman @ May 30 2011, 07:40 PM) *
According to UGR the TT f430 and 458 grips well. Maybe one of them can chime in on this.

I am sure those are on boost by gear or speed. Less boost down low. You could do that with a rwd Gallardo too.
VBUGKING
QUOTE (DarrinB @ May 30 2011, 07:27 PM) *
With RWD and 850whp it would not get traction until 3rd gear. Sure you can get it to hook with boost by gear in the first 2 gears but that would be less than 850whp.

exactly
Allan-Herbie
On the 20s with PSC's my car would get sideways in 3rd gear.. Switching to 19's with the R888s at temp the car got ZERO wheelspin.. Id put my money that a GTT at the 800 level would be fine being RWD..
VBUGKING
QUOTE (AllanFerrariLover @ May 30 2011, 07:53 PM) *
On the 20s with PSC's my car would get sideways in 3rd gear.. Switching to 19's with the R888s at temp the car got ZERO wheelspin.. Id put my money that a GTT at the 800 level would be fine being RWD..

Your definition of fine is not the same as it holding that power level down low at redline.
Allan-Herbie
QUOTE(VBOXKING @ May 31 2011, 01:54 AM) *
Your definition of fine is not the same as it holding that power level down low at redline.

I think it would icon_mrgreen.gif

VBUGKING
QUOTE (AllanFerrariLover @ May 30 2011, 07:56 PM) *
I think it would icon_mrgreen.gif

And I know it wont biggrin.gif
Allan-Herbie
QUOTE(VBOXKING @ May 31 2011, 01:56 AM) *
And I know it wont biggrin.gif

PROVE IT icon_mrgreen.gif
VBUGKING
QUOTE (AllanFerrariLover @ May 30 2011, 07:58 PM) *

Allan, come on now. You know you cant base any facts off of YOUR driving experiences. That's like basing a math theorem on a picture that a 3 year old girl drew.

rolleyes.gif tongue.gif
LPDADDY
QUOTE (AllanFerrariLover @ May 30 2011, 06:58 PM) *

Man you're argumentative. I have problems getting grip with the race car with only 750hp and 385 slicks at the back. You're wrong, stop fucking arguing. tyson.gif tyson.gif
Allan-Herbie
QUOTE(VBOXKING @ May 31 2011, 02:07 AM) *
Allan, come on now. You know you cant base any facts off of YOUR driving experiences. That's like basing a math theorem on a picture that a 3 year old girl drew.

rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

lol.gif lol.gif thefinger.gif lol.gif lol.gif
VBUGKING
QUOTE (BMWRACER @ May 30 2011, 08:14 PM) *
Man you're argumentative. I have problems getting grip with the race car with only 750hp and 385 slicks at the back. You're wrong, stop fcuking arguing. tyson.gif tyson.gif

Lols. But those things dont have any torque right? biggrin.gif
Allan-Herbie
QUOTE(BMWRACER @ May 31 2011, 02:14 AM) *
Man you're argumentative. I have problems getting grip with the race car with only 750hp and 385 slicks at the back. You're wrong, stop fucking arguing. tyson.gif tyson.gif

Different cars... different setups...
LPDADDY
QUOTE (VBOXKING @ May 30 2011, 07:15 PM) *
Lols. But those things dont have any torque right? biggrin.gif

Big block chey, a tad under 625lbs lol, a little more than an SLR and it starts at 2000 rpm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.