RX-7

Rico

Whats the view of these cars stateside?

They're pretty rare over here and they're quite highly regarded.

I'm kinda tempted...

Cheers :)

Others can fill you in more, i know they handled very well, are very light, but i think once something goes wrong, tough to fix bc the rotary motor is tricky and a bit finicky, parts are tough to find; huge power potential tho; i think alex from SP has one...

What year? What generation? 1st gen, 2nd or 3rd, I'm assuming you probably mean the 3rd generation RX7 which is the most popular. They are a twin turbo setup on the 3rd gen though some people will go with a single turbo setup. They're insane cars and weigh in at UNDER 3000 lbs so they're pretty light, rearwheel drive and have a ton of potential for power however generally speaking the more power you pump out of a rotary the less torque you get on the hp to torque ratio, example like 800hp to the rear wheels and maybe 400-500ft lbs torque something like that.

But the rotary is an AMAZING little engine, you can pull amazing amounts of power out of the little things, they're only 1.3 litres! You can grab them quite easily from 10k to 20k depending on the miles, condition and year and mod them pretty easily. GOOD cars. Me and my fiance are eventually saving for one.

RX-7 are good cars - they're lightweight and handle very well. They respond well to mods but they're known for having apex seal wear. The rotary engine is also known for overheating if engine mods are done without some sort of oil/water cooling. Alex has one with a 2JZ-GTE (Toyota Supra Turbo motor) swap making 867whp couple years back. The FD is in the works for a new buildup.

If you pick-up an FD RX-7, you must go 3-Rotor NA! The lime green FD is NA - the exhaust note is insane. If you ever heard the JGTC GT-300 FD, you'll know what I mean. 400hp NA isn't too shabby for a car that weighs about 2800lbs stock. Check out these BestMotoring video clips.

http://www.bestmotoringvideo.com/movies/vol19.wmv

http://www.bestmotoringvideo.com/movies/vol27.wmv

12_1280x960.jpg

0112tur_supra7_01.jpg

0112tur_supra7_02.jpg

I've often wondered what it would be like if someone built something like a 5.0 liter 4 rotor rotary engined supercar. Would the engine just overheat and explode, or what? That rotary in the RX-7 sure is awesome.

I actually dislike the rotary engine, but love the rx-7 (is that possible?). My buddies with their rotarys ended up blowing them (not sure of the cause so I won't pass judgement on that). But what I do know, is that Ls1 swaps are becoming very common with this car. And stock ls1 into the rx-7 is yeilding pretty much a bottom 12 second car/high 11's. My buddy back in Chicago is putting a forged 348 ls1 with a t76 turbo, probably 15psi. thing should fly, expecting low 9s. but man the rx-7 is a slick looking car.

I actually dislike the rotary engine, but love the rx-7 (is that possible?). My buddies with their rotarys ended up blowing them (not sure of the cause so I won't pass judgement on that). But what I do know, is that Ls1 swaps are becoming very common with this car. And stock ls1 into the rx-7 is yeilding pretty much a bottom 12 second car/high 11's. My buddy back in Chicago is putting a forged 348 ls1 with a t76 turbo, probably 15psi. thing should fly, expecting low 9s. but man the rx-7 is a slick looking car.
I met a guy with a Black RX-7 that had an LS1 swap, head/cam mods etc. Went for a ride, pretty fawking quick in that light weight car. Even crazier was the time at Sebring up with the Porsche club there was a guy with an old 914 with and LS1, like a go-cart on steroids, he tore up the track.

I don't know much about the old RX's, but what do you guys think about the RX8? Friend has one and I'm not really impressed, for one, my V8 suv get's a little better mileage then he does, how the hell does that ity bitty motor guzzle like a big block? Though the engine is very smooth, doesn't strain at all.

I met a guy with a Black RX-7 that had an LS1 swap, head/cam mods etc. Went for a ride, pretty fawking quick in that light weight car. Even crazier was the time at Sebring up with the Porsche club there was a guy with an old 914 with and LS1, like a go-cart on steroids, he tore up the track.

I don't know much about the old RX's, but what do you guys think about the RX8? Friend has one and I'm not really impressed, for one, my V8 suv get's a little better mileage then he does, how the hell does that ity bitty motor guzzle like a big block? Though the engine is very smooth, doesn't strain at all.

On a rotary? Well a piston has a "cycle" and obviously multiple pistons but imagine the engine CONSTANTLY doing something at all times. Every single side of the rotor in the engine is doing something, one side is always ingniting, other is always compressing, exhaust, etc.... It doesn't go through a cycle like a piston does, therefore the flow of gas is nearly constant unlike a piston that shoots it in, ignites, forces the gas out and then continues through another cycle. It continues it because the other sides of the rotor are in constant moving motion, so you can lean the engine out a bit and get a few more miles per gallon but overall they are DEFINITELY gas guzzlers once you've modded them.

I've often wondered what it would be like if someone built something like a 5.0 liter 4 rotor rotary engined supercar. Would the engine just overheat and explode, or what? That rotary in the RX-7 sure is awesome.

mazda built a 2.6 liter 4 rotor for the lemans 787b car.

I have a 93 RX-7 (3rd gen.) and it is a great car. Just make sure to have a mechanic around who knows what hes doing. If you decide to get one make sure to get a compression check on the engine before you buy it. If the engine is at around 60k miles it will probably need a rebuild soon. Not all cars are like this though. Since it is 10+ year old car look around until you find the best one. Since you are not state side it will be easier for you to get a 96 or later year which will have less miles on it and possibly be more reliable than an earlier model. Also if you get the chance to get a Spirit R type A it is a good buy. Comes with 280hp stock instead of 255hp like the earlier models.

• 5 years later...
I am new here, and saw the topic. I own a rx7 so thats why. And if its a problem why is the topic still on here?

The link you posted does not show a RX7 taking off or a 20B RX-7.

I had 2 Rx7s (one was a track car), great cars, fun as hell to drive. I use to race formula mazdas so the rotary engine was something I was familiar with. if you build them right, the rotary engine is a beast, of all the race cars I have had the rotaries seemed to last the longest

I had 2 Rx7s (one was a track car), great cars, fun as hell to drive. I use to race formula mazdas so the rotary engine was something I was familiar with. if you build them right, the rotary engine is a beast, of all the race cars I have had the rotaries seemed to last the longest

NA or Turbo? I've heard NA rotary engines were/are fairly durable and reliably, however the turbo engines are nightmares waiting to happen.

In the right hands the turbos live as long as a piston engine. If you tune it the right way it last for years.

I tuned mine not to heavy about 100 hp extra and have driven about 45000 with no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

It is well known in nz that the 3gen rotary engine needs to rebuilt every 100,000 kms. but to be honest, 100,000kms can last most people for 5-8 years.

If the 3 th gen in fact all the rotary engines keep stock they can last 200,000 km.

I have driven a fc turbo2 to 195,000 km with no problems.

If your gonna tune them they last about 100,000 km.Depending of the power you put in , and how you handle it.

But every car you tune is braking down sooner or later.

It is well known in nz that the 3gen rotary engine needs to rebuilt every 100,000 kms. but to be honest, 100,000kms can last most people for 5-8 years.

If the 3 th gen in fact all the rotary engines keep stock they can last 200,000 km.

I have driven a fc turbo2 to 195,000 km with no problems.

If your gonna tune them they last about 100,000 km.Depending of the power you put in , and how you handle it.

But every car you tune is braking down sooner or later.

I was under the impression that going single turbo enhanced the life of the FD RX-7s because it replaced the stock exhaust manifolds which retained a lot of heat and eventually lead to the death of the engine.

Thats a good point, but if you go single turbo you must replace more than just the turbo.

bigger intercooler, bigger radiator etc...like you sad for cooling.

If you don"t the engine is gonna blow faster.

That"s why i sad that your must know what to do with tuning.

Fact is that these cars are sensitive for chanches, and it is mostly a second car.

Tuned the right way it"s a beast.

I drive a FD now, with light modifications.

It makes aprox 340 hp.

With specs of 0-100 in 4,6 sec. and a top of aprox 275 km/u i can give some competition to a lot of cars.

do you have own one? :icon_thumleft:

I was under the impression that going single turbo enhanced the life of the FD RX-7s because it replaced the stock exhaust manifolds which retained a lot of heat and eventually lead to the death of the engine.