FORD GT Impressions....

abolfaz

Lucky man, Albofaz. Any pics?

The GT's an awesome car, especially for the money. If Ford charged 20% more it would still be bargain. Which leads me to a question.

I've always been a bit confused as to why Ford aimed the GT at the Gallardo and 360, when, given the power and torque the Murci's scalp was a more obvious target? No one ever seems to be prepared to compare it with the Murci. I haven't read a single article that's done a back to back test .

Okay, that was a statement, not a question, but you know what I mean.

Any takers?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucky man, Albofaz. Any pics?

The GT's an awesome car, especially for the money. If Ford charged 20% more it would still be bargain. Which leads me to a question.

I've always been a bit confused as to why Ford aimed the GT at the Gallardo and 360, when, given the power and torque the Murci's scalp was a more obvious target? No one ever seems to be prepared to compare it with the Murci. I haven't read a single article that's done a back to back test .

Okay, that was a statement, not a question, but you know what I mean.

Any takers?

Given that the Ford GT can outperform the Gallardo, I agree that the car is more of a performance match for the Murcielago. However, given the pricing of the FGT, they are probably more readily competing for market share with the Gallardo and F430/360. In addition, FGT's are dynoing in stock form at about 520-530 RWHP, which means they are actually putting out over 600 HP at the crank. Nice to see a manufacturer that actually is conservative in their HP claims. In the right hands, I think the FGT could hold off just about any car, short of the Enzo and Carrera GT.

:( I think we may be forgetting about one other car, an American car! I know you guys may not want to hear this, but I logged on to the POS forum out of curiosity and there were several guys on there claiming that they were doing LOW 11s in their new factory stock Z06s. That is some serious ET time. Now unless all these guys are huge bullshitters like the one we exposed a little more than a week ago claiming to have the first 2007 Gallardo Spyder in the U.S., I think they'd give my Carrera GT and Ford GT a very tough time in a street drag race if I would ever be so inclined to do so..... which as you know.... I ain't into anymore! For the money, you really can't beat the POS for fun, looks and speed. Sure there's a ton of them all over the place but that's my point. They're affordable for the 'regular Joe' who isn't as lucky as us to be able to purchase a Lambo or other exotic! At least give credit where credit is due! And they're American... which anymore, is a rarity in anything we buy nowadays. If they came in a automatic, I'd buy one tomorrow for my girlfriend to cruise around in and of course, it would give me a chance to test the theory of relativity, and see how fast they really are! monkeylt

Come on Michael, just teach your GF how to drive stick!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

-Olivier

Come on Michael, just teach your GF how to drive stick!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

-Olivier

Olivier, I'm sorry. I didn't explain the situation. She can't even spell stick.... she's a Blonde! :jack But, there is one stick she can drive. I guess I can be thankful for that!!

Well you know, they usually can't have it all.

It's basically like a car you know:

fast/reliable/cheap

Pick 2 out of three.

For girls:

hot/intelligent/low-maintenance

Pick 2 out of three, if you can pick 3, marry her, and lock her inside!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly though, I know what you mean. I know girls that dont EVER want to learn how to drive stick. That's just life...

-Olivier

Mine wont either...She tried to once, but the e-brake was up and she kept stalling the car. She was frustrated and said shell never try again. I guess it was probably due to the fact that I was laughing at her for about 20-30 minutes after that. :lol: :lol:

:( I think we may be forgetting about one other car, an American car! I know you guys may not want to hear this, but I logged on to the POS forum out of curiosity and there were several guys on there claiming that they were doing LOW 11s in their new factory stock Z06s. That is some serious ET time. Now unless all these guys are huge bullshitters like the one we exposed a little more than a week ago claiming to have the first 2007 Gallardo Spyder in the U.S., I think they'd give my Carrera GT and Ford GT a very tough time in a street drag race if I would ever be so inclined to do so..... which as you know.... I ain't into anymore! For the money, you really can't beat the POS for fun, looks and speed. Sure there's a ton of them all over the place but that's my point. They're affordable for the 'regular Joe' who isn't as lucky as us to be able to purchase a Lambo or other exotic! At least give credit where credit is due! And they're American... which anymore, is a rarity in anything we buy nowadays. If they came in a automatic, I'd buy one tomorrow for my girlfriend to cruise around in and of course, it would give me a chance to test the theory of relativity, and see how fast they really are! monkeylt

I absolutely agree. I have no issue with the V-ette, it wears it's heart on it's sleeve and can 'walk the walk' as well. What more could you want?

I'd certainly have one over a Porsche, for example, which are equally impressive but a bit souless compared to the V-ette.

Still love my G to death, though. Anyone who loves their V-ette as much is alright by me, ditto Vipers for that matter. :)

:(  I think we may be forgetting about one other car, an American car! I know you guys may not want to hear this, but I logged on to the POS forum out of curiosity and there were several guys on there claiming that they were doing LOW 11s in their new factory stock Z06s. That is some serious ET time. Now unless all these guys are huge bullshitters like the one we exposed a little more than a week ago claiming to have the first 2007 Gallardo Spyder in the U.S., I think they'd give my Carrera GT and Ford GT a very tough time in a street drag race if I would ever be so inclined to do so..... which as you know.... I ain't into anymore! For the money, you really can't beat the POS for fun, looks and speed. Sure there's a ton of them all over the place but that's my point. They're affordable for the 'regular Joe' who isn't as lucky as us to be able to purchase a Lambo or other exotic! At least give credit where credit is due! And they're American... which anymore, is a rarity in anything we buy nowadays. If they came in a automatic, I'd buy one tomorrow for my girlfriend to cruise around in and of course, it would give me a chance to test the theory of relativity, and see how fast they really are!   monkeylt

I absolutely agree. I have no issue with the V-ette, it wears it's heart on it's sleeve and can 'walk the walk' as well. What more could you want?

I'd certainly have one over a Porsche, for example, which are equally impressive but a bit souless compared to the V-ette.

Still love my G to death, though. Anyone who loves their V-ette as much is alright by me, ditto Vipers for that matter. :)

porsche has no soul? u serious?

porsche has no soul? u serious?

Sorry but yes, no soul.

I'm talking more the company than the cars.

I think they're fantastic from an engineering point of view but untill they move the design on they're just polishing the same gem all the time. Notice I say "gem". Let me explain.

The Muira was a legend, that was replaced by another (Countach), which in turn got replaced by another (Diablo). The Murci's got "legend" written all over it.

Part of the problem for me is image. In the UK, owning a Porsche means people are going to think you are an Estate Agent (Realtor?), hairdresser or accountant! Or worse, a soccer player! :lol:

I agree the 911 is an icon, and as I said, the engineering is peerless, but they need to move the game on. The CGT was a move in the right direction (though I maintain that they probably haven't made a penny on them).

It's the same reason I was opposed to the notion of the Muira Concept going into production. Icons are supposed to rest in piece, not be dug up and passed off as a new improved design every 5 years. Even if they are new and improved.

The Ford GT is the exception, as the GT40 started life as a racer not a road car. The few GT40s that made it onto the road were poor roadcars so it's quite appropriate for Ford to build a modern "homage" to the racer original. No problem with plundering the back catalogue there.

It's just opinion, I don't for one moment expect people to agree with me.

Everyone thinks their car is the best and argues passionately on it's behalf, whether it's Ferrari, Porsche, V-ettes, whatever. But until Porsche stop treating the 911 as a cashcow and give us something new they're treating passion as a marketing exercise and that.. to me... is soulless.

I hope the above is taken as a reasoned debate and not an excuse to start an argument. :)

V10,

I agree on some points, yes, the 911 is soaked for all its worth which may take some of its special-ness away, however several models seem to still preserve and move forward with respect to the 911 concept, namely GT2, and GT3. IMO, the 911 is another tough car to categorize as its not 'retro' bc it has never been out of production....Its really its own thing, but im a fan!

V10,

I agree on some points, yes, the 911 is soaked for all its worth which may take some of its special-ness away, however several models seem to still preserve and move forward with respect to the 911 concept, namely GT2, and GT3.  IMO, the 911 is another tough car to categorize as its not 'retro' bc it has never been out of production....Its really its own thing, but im a fan!

My original statement said "bit soul-less" by the way.

As I said, it's a very subjective thing and I certainly didn't say I wasn't a fan.

I'm just frustrated by the lack of original thought, aptly demonstrated by the Boxster coupe that Porsche are trying to convince people is a whole new model by giving it a stupid name.

And now the 997 has the 993s headlights again! How long did it take to think of that? :roll:

At what point are they going to realise they're painting themselves into a corner? :?:

Answers on a postcard, please. :)

Can we get back to saying how great the Ford GT is now? :)

I'm now going to watch the MotoGP practice from Jerez!

Ill start, the gt ROCKS. I really have no idea why so few ppl seem to have genuinely considered them over F430s especially. No clue why they would put up with the treatment they get for those and not pay 60K less and get a better looking and performing car...

Over here the biggest problem is availability. Only 28 cars are being imported, which shows either a lack of confidence in their product (unlikey), a lack of understanding of the UK market (again, unlikely) or they have sold out the whole production run to power crazy Americans and Canadians (VERY likely! :) ).

Shame really, as it means it's going to be a rare occasion to see one. :(

thats funny, bc wasnt the GT40 massaged and worked on in UK??? the racing team i mean?

Yes, and not just the original. The GT has as much British input as American, Ford have a very eclectic approach to design and engineering.

I think they got the car absolutely spot on, and judged the market very well. The production facility will be operating at peak capacity and the bulk of the sales will be North America, which means it's going to be a rare beast over here. :(

Still baffled by the pricing strategy though, I think they've short changed themselves on this car and could easily have commanded a higher premium.

So... other than Michael, who on the board has a Ford GT?

I'm thinking about dropping my '04 Gallardo in favor of a Ford GT. A friend of mine is working on picking one up so I'll get some time in the car. I've been lurking on the GT board and it gets sort of mixed reviews on build quality, reliability, etc.

abolfaz has a Ford GT and he loves it.

-Olivier

So... other than Michael, who on the board has a Ford GT?

I'm thinking about dropping my '04 Gallardo in favor of a Ford GT. A friend of mine is working on picking one up so I'll get some time in the car. I've been lurking on the GT board and it gets sort of mixed reviews on build quality, reliability, etc.

:) Hi guys, Recently, I've been in and out of several forums and on one particular, a few members asked my impression of the the various cars I own. So, I started with the Gallardo, then the Murcielago, the F430, the Carrera GT, the 575 Maranello and my most recent post was with the Ford GT.

What I did was start from the beginning on how I came across each car, what I had to do to finalize a deal and finally my driving impression of each one. I guess I owe my Lambo compadres an apology because as I started out, my reviews weren't as long or as detailed as when I got to the other cars. I became more long winded and more dramatic in detail everytime I did another car.

I do not have a favorite car as I've stated before here on Lambo Power. I love them all the same! Each time I jump in one of the cars, it feels like a new experience all over again! Heck, since I try and rotate driving them equally, I sometimes forget certain controls on each car. Yesterday, while taking pictures of the Ford GT for my review, I forgot where the latch was to open the engine hatch cover! Took me several minutes to figure it out.

I would like to leave the hyper-link for this web forum, but I want to ask if it's OK before I do so. I would hope that there's no adversarial problems with various sites but that's why I'm asking. If there is a problem with that, I could post any of the reviews here if the interest was enough. Please somebody let me know how you guys feel about this.

p.s. Again, as the reviews changed from car to go, they got longer. The CGT, Maranello and the Ford GT especially. WARNING..... they are a little long but hopefully interesting. And all the reviews include at least 10 or more pics of each car with 1600 x 1200 pixels. Michael :shock:

Go for it. I suggest you just go to the forum where you posted them, go to "edit" your post, copy and past all the text you wrote with the IMG codes (they should here too) and just start a thread with multiple reviews. I would LOVE to read about them. :)

-Olivier

abolfaz-

Im excited to hear that monster, imo more intimidating that any ferrari, and really a great sound, my favorite next to the V12 lambo and the carrera Gt....

• 2 weeks later...
I just got the borla/SVT exhaust for my car, somebody let me know how to post a video w/sound.

HELP!

I just got the borla/SVT exhaust for my car, somebody let me know how to post a video w/sound.

HELP!

:lol: Since if I remember right, your kinda flush in the financial aspect, go out and buy a Sony Mini DVD recorder and I believe the videos it takes are recorded in Quicktime which are recognized by McIntosh (the good computers) and Windows machines (pain in the ass computers)! If not, I'm pretty sure you just download them directly to your compter and it's in another format that almost all computers recognize.

My sons tried mine and then went out and bought their own because they loved how easy they were to operate and my oldest son said the video was excellent! Michael