FORD GT Impressions....

abolfaz

I just got the borla/SVT exhaust for my car, somebody let me know how to post a video w/sound.

HELP!

Do you have it on your computer already?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an 05 GT,red without center stripe...Had it dynoed to get a baseline...539 RWHP,with just a dyno tune it now makes 592 RWHP/555 RWTQ.I don't know how this compares to some of the cars on here,this is my first "exotic" so to speak.

539 RWHP,with just a dyno tune it now makes 592 RWHP/555 RWTQ

:?: that much without any modifications? I've never heard anyone putting up that high of numbers. That would mean its basically a 700hp car from the factory

539 RWHP,with just a dyno tune it now makes 592 RWHP/555 RWTQ

:?: that much without any modifications? I've never heard anyone putting up that high of numbers. That would mean its basically a 700hp car from the factory

Depending on the dyno, stock GT's are dynoing at around 525 rwhp. I would say that redzone's car is either particularly strong, or the dyno he used gives higher numbers than normal. With the stock cars dynoing at ~525 rwhp, and assuming 15% driveline loss, the crank hp should be ~615.

Depending on the dyno, stock GT's are dynoing at around 525 rwhp. I would say that redzone's car is either particularly strong, or the dyno he used gives higher numbers than normal. With the stock cars dynoing at ~525 rwhp, and assuming 15% driveline loss, the crank hp should be ~615.

Theres some debate here, some of the ford GT guys claim 540 to 550 rwhp.

Ford GT drivetrain loss is 7%. I spoke at length with the Ford Engineering team who designed the transaxle, its truly amazing.

Ford GT drivetrain loss is 7%. I spoke at length with the Ford Engineering team who designed the transaxle, its truly amazing.

I had a couple of issues with my trasaxle when I first got my GT and I spent a great deal of time talking with the head of engineering for the GT as well as one of the chief engineers from Ricardo (the company in the UK that built the trans) and they both confirmed drivetrain loss under 10%.

I had a couple of issues with my trasaxle when I first got my GT and I spent a great deal of time talking with the head of engineering for the GT as well as one of the chief engineers from Ricardo (the company in the UK that built the trans) and they both confirmed drivetrain loss under 10%.

ask how we get this tranny in a lambo!

I spent a weekend with a FORD GT. Here are my impressions.

1. Interior.

The GT has a very basic interior. I did not like some of the cheap plastics and rubber, but it looks nice for the most part. The rubber on the shift knob and e-brake is just awful. I absolutely hate the speedo on the far right. It is terrible. I understand why they did it, but it just plain sucks. I liked the switches on the dash as I thought they looked cool. My wife said they look like crap. The stereo was a $4000 option and I thought it didn't sound great at all. The seats are awesome!

2. Clutch.

The GT clutch is really light and easy - just like a stock NSX clutch. I was really surprised how easy it is.

3. Feel

The GT feels WIDE and it is. The steering is very precise and not overboosted at all. It takes a while to get used to driving it.

4. Power.

The car pulls hard at higher RPM. The TQ is awesome. Put your foot down and hold on. It makes 6lbs of boost at 1300 RPM! I think I saw 13 lbs of boost once.

5. Sound.

The GT is VERY quiet. You can barely hear the exhaust. When you nail it you really only hear the blower whine. It sounds cool, but I was expecting more. For me though, it was great because of how quiet it is. I wouldn't change a thing, but those looking for a killer loud V8 will be dissapointed.

6. Driveability.

The GT takes a little getting used to. It is very wide, but it has HUGE blindspots. It is hard to see where anything is around you. Changing lanes is a HUGE pain in the rear. It is almost scary because you just cannot see. Basically look as well as you can, nail the gas and pray nothing is to your right. The car is very easy to drive around town though and at WOT. I thought it would really break lose easily, but that was not the case. I guess those GIANT 19" 315 tires do the job well.

7. Practicality.

The GT has no trunk, no cupholder, the AC sucks, the car is hard to get in and out of, the doors need a LOT of room to open. Living with this car on a daily basis or even on the weekend would not be much fun.

8. BLING factor.

EVERYONE stares at this car. I nearly caused at least 5 accidents with people starring at the car instead of the road. If you like attention, this is the car for you. Also, when you park people flock around the car. I sure would not feel comfortable at all leaving it ANYWHERE except my garage.

9. Overall

The GT is a great exotic car - I just don't think I would enjoy it much as a daily driver or even weekend car. Still, the GT is one bad ass car. I am very grateful for having the opportunity to drive it for the weekend.

OOPS. I forgot about the Gas Mileage. IT SUCKS. I would be surpised if it gets 150 miles to a tank (18.5 gallon) with normal driving!!!

You couldn't break the car loose? I have a hard time going in a straight line in 1st or 2nd!

Sound? The car should have come standard with the Borla/SVT exhaust, its a must have.

As far as practicality, it is a great daily driver (2500 miles and counting).

Changing lanes? Get along side the car next to you punch it and SHAZAM, theres no one next to you.

Gas mileage? 150 miles? I haven't been able to better 95 miles per tank.

I think you need some more time in the seat, I was a bit reluctant about throwing the car around as well, but a couple of weeks into ownership, the car became like a second skin, something I can't say for any lamborghini I've ever owned.

I spent a weekend with a FORD GT. Here are my impressions.

1. Interior.

The GT has a very basic interior. I did not like some of the cheap plastics and rubber, but it looks nice for the most part. The rubber on the shift knob and e-brake is just awful. I absolutely hate the speedo on the far right. It is terrible. I understand why they did it, but it just plain sucks. I liked the switches on the dash as I thought they looked cool. My wife said they look like crap. The stereo was a $4000 option and I thought it didn't sound great at all. The seats are awesome!

2. Clutch.

The GT clutch is really light and easy - just like a stock NSX clutch. I was really surprised how easy it is.

3. Feel

The GT feels WIDE and it is. The steering is very precise and not overboosted at all. It takes a while to get used to driving it.

4. Power.

The car pulls hard at higher RPM. The TQ is awesome. Put your foot down and hold on. It makes 6lbs of boost at 1300 RPM! I think I saw 13 lbs of boost once.

5. Sound.

The GT is VERY quiet. You can barely hear the exhaust. When you nail it you really only hear the blower whine. It sounds cool, but I was expecting more. For me though, it was great because of how quiet it is. I wouldn't change a thing, but those looking for a killer loud V8 will be dissapointed.

6. Driveability.

The GT takes a little getting used to. It is very wide, but it has HUGE blindspots. It is hard to see where anything is around you. Changing lanes is a HUGE pain in the rear. It is almost scary because you just cannot see. Basically look as well as you can, nail the gas and pray nothing is to your right. The car is very easy to drive around town though and at WOT. I thought it would really break lose easily, but that was not the case. I guess those GIANT 19" 315 tires do the job well.

7. Practicality.

The GT has no trunk, no cupholder, the AC sucks, the car is hard to get in and out of, the doors need a LOT of room to open. Living with this car on a daily basis or even on the weekend would not be much fun.

8. BLING factor.

EVERYONE stares at this car. I nearly caused at least 5 accidents with people starring at the car instead of the road. If you like attention, this is the car for you. Also, when you park people flock around the car. I sure would not feel comfortable at all leaving it ANYWHERE except my garage.

9. Overall

The GT is a great exotic car - I just don't think I would enjoy it much as a daily driver or even weekend car. Still, the GT is one bad ass car. I am very grateful for having the opportunity to drive it for the weekend.

OOPS. I forgot about the Gas Mileage. IT SUCKS. I would be surpised if it gets 150 miles to a tank (18.5 gallon) with normal driving!!!

NetViper, With due respect, I would like to counter some of the remarks you made.

1) OK on some but the speedo is alright there.

2) OK

3) OK

4) OK

5) Disagree! It reminds me of some of the big block muscle cars I had back in the late 60s and 70s. It has a deep throaty sound and you can definitely hear the exhaust! I don't think the blower is as loud as the F150 'Lightning' I had a few years ago. I use to love to leave the windows open and hear that whine when I nailed it! We had a National Hot Rod Show at Canfield, Ohio last summer and I went cruising down the main street and goosed the throttle of the Ford GT several times and brought huge smiles to everybody's faces! Quiet, I don't think so!

6) OK

7) The 'living with the car on a daily basis', it isn't that bad. I drive mine back and forth to work and to a certain restaurant whenever I can. The only problem for me is parking the car and keeping other cars away from it.

8) 'Bling factor'..... never heard of it..... that must be a Foreign language. If you mean 'attracting attention'.... I totally agree! And... I park mine away from everybody and on an angle which somebody in FCHAT referred to as 'Jackass Parking'. Sorry, but somebody would have to go out of their way to intentionally do something to the car.

9) Who in heck would drive it every day? I drive mine as long as it isn't raining or worse and enjoy every minute of it.

OOPS) Not trying to sound like a pompous ass but..... who would spend $155K plus on any supercar and then worry about gas mileage? I don't think anyone who buys a supercar had gas mileage marked down as one of their 'deciding factors'

Again NetViper, This was just a friendly counter to some of your complaints about the Ford GT. Michael :)

You couldn't break the car loose? I have a hard time going in a straight line in 1st or 2nd!

As it was not mine, I was a careful, but it was not easy to breakloose in WOT 1-2 shirts.

Sound? The car should have come standard with the Borla/SVT exhaust, its a must have.

It was stock and it was very quiet.

I think you need some more time in the seat, I was a bit reluctant about throwing the car around as well, but a couple of weeks into ownership, the car became like a second skin, something I can't say for any lamborghini I've ever owned.

I can't disagree with that.

NetViper, With due respect, I would like to counter some of the remarks you made.

5) Disagree! It reminds me of some of the big block muscle cars I had back in the late 60s and 70s. It has a deep throaty sound and you can definitely hear the exhaust! Quiet, I don't think so!

I don't know what to tell you, the car is very quiet. I walked up to it intially and I didn't even think it was on. Maybe yours is loud, the one I drove was not. Like I said, I liked it that way.

6) OK

7) The 'living with the car on a daily basis', it isn't that bad. I drive mine back and forth to work and to a certain restaurant whenever I can. The only problem for me is parking the car and keeping other cars away from

I could see that. Like I said, I would be afraid to leave the car alone somewhere it was not secure.

OOPS) Not trying to sound like a pompous ass but..... who would spend $155K plus on any supercar and then worry about gas mileage? I don't think anyone who buys a supercar had gas mileage marked down as one of their 'deciding factors'

)

If I had your income and car collection, I wouldn't care either. But, I am no where close and gas mileage still matters to me. But, those with 150K to spend on a toy probably wouldn't care.

Anyway, I don't mean to bash the car in any way. I am just stating what I thought after having the car for the weekend.

How do you compare the accelleration of this car to your others? I was actualyl expecting a lot more low-end TQ.

Redzone,

I too have a GT. What did you do to "dyno tune" the car? Please provide me more details. Thanks.

The shop hooked some kind of electronic gizmo into the computer to change some of the parameters...he put the car on the dyno to get a baseline,changed a few things,dynoed again...repeated this process for about three hours until he had everything set to optimum.He gave me the gizmo when he was through so I could load the stock tune back in if the car was going to the dealership so as to not raise any eyebrows with Ford :) .The biggest difference I can tell,besides the increased performance,is the boost off idle is almost instantaneous.

This past weekend Clax and i went for a drive in the Gallardo and the GT.I had the opprtunity to follow him and listen to the car and it is very quiet in stock form.Definitely needs an exhaust but the rest of the car rocks.And it is fast,really fast.We did a few rolling runs and the GT pulls ahead of the Gallardo immediately and stays there.Also the GT will lose traction in 1st and 2nd the moment you put the pedal to the floor.The GT has huge amounts of torque and pulls like a train in just about any gear.

My guess is that it is faster than a Murci .Hopefully we can test that theory soon.

Also the GT will lose traction in 1st and 2nd the moment you put the pedal to the floor..

No offense, but that is simply not true.

So i guess what i saw when we racing the cars was a mirage and i am making it up.I was also in the passenger seat when the rear end broke loose.That was a hallucination too.

Also the GT will lose traction in 1st and 2nd the moment you put the pedal to the floor..

So i guess what i saw when we racing the cars was a mirage and i am making it up.I was also in the passenger seat when the rear end broke loose.That was a hallucination too.

Maybe it was not stock. I drove the car for 2 days and it never did that ONCE. I gave it EVERY opportunity.

Look, the GT is fast as hell. No doubt. But the car does not break traction the moment you put your foot on the ground.

Maybe it was not stock. I drove the car for 2 days and it never did that ONCE. I gave it EVERY opportunity.

Look, the GT is fast as hell. No doubt. But the car does not break traction the moment you put your foot on the ground.

The car has 300 miles on it.He just picked it up.It is bone stock and Clax has no reason to tell me otherwise.

Maybe there is something wrong with the car you drove.

The car has 300 miles on it.He just picked it up.It is bone stock and Clax has no reason to tell me otherwise.

Maybe there is something wrong with the car you drove.

The one I drove had 326 miles when I picked it up. Maybe there was something wrong. Let's leave it at that.

As for being faster than a Murci. I think it is. I haven't seen any murci produce the Trap Speeds of the GT.

I wish there was road around here where I could have really opened it up. I thought 3rd gear on the hiway was simply AWESOME.

Sorry dude, I think I have more seat time in the GT than anyone here and I can tell you for a fact it will break loose in 1st or 2nd EVERYTIME YOU FLOOR IT! 1st gear at WOT is so bad that the car will spin out on you. Perhaps there is something wrong with the car you drove.

Sorry dude, I think I have more seat time in the GT than anyone here and I can tell you for a fact it will break loose in 1st or 2nd EVERYTIME YOU FLOOR IT! 1st gear at WOT is so bad that the car will spin out on you. Perhaps there is something wrong with the car you drove.

Can the car be "de-tuned" by a dealership? and how many peak pounds of boost do you make?

Can the car be "de-tuned" by a dealership? and how many peak pounds of boost do you make?

My car just about pegs the gauge, I'd have to go out to the car to tell you exactly.