Ford GT, Porsche 997 Turbo, or Diablo 6.0

VCR

Which one would you choose (re: already have a G)?  

58 members have voted

1. 1.

• Diable 6.0
    • Ford GT
    • Porsche 997 Turbo

All this talk about the FGT generated some interests. Initially, Ford Canada sourced 200 FGT to Canada at Can$198,995 MSRP (current rate is $1US : $1.10Can). Initial highballing saw a few went for C$270K!!! Ford Canada had recently announced that another 64 FGT will be available making a total 264 cars avaialble. The price is more realistic now: you can pick one up @ around C$209K for December delivery. Some are immediately available but at the premium of course.

The FGT has been and still is zealously discussed here so I won't post my impression on it from my trial yesterday other than the commotion I generated by driving my G into a Ford dealership asking to see the GT. There were more staff and customers looking at my G and I, alone, checking out the GT! Overall, the GT is surprisingly competant than anticipated. Definately not your regular Ford but at that price it better not and should not be.

Sorry for the long prologue but this leads to the question. At C$209K, it's very very close (and perhaps just a tad more expensive in fact) to the 997Turbo. I know the P-car is not really an exotic anymore but this also make it more stealthy and for more of a daily use vehicle. They are, absolutely, two very different cars but seem equally appealing in all criteria. And just to complicate things even more: for somewhat similar price and assuming I can find a proper one, let's add a 6.0 to the choices (something I have been and continuing to be working on). Which one would you guys pick? Pls chime in...

Here is my take on this. As much as I like P cars, for the same price, you can have a GT which is truely an exotic car, even though it carries the Ford badge. I LOVE the GT, the aftermarket potential is incredibly huge and the car responds well to mods. It has striking looks, presence and charisma. The Porsche is just a VERY good car. It looks good, is plenty fast, comfortable, etc, but at the end of the day, it still does not strike me as much as the GT does.

Now, if you want to compare it to the 6.0, it makes the whole choice much more difficult. Since you already have a Lamborghini, I think I would go for the GT. The Diablo will be more maintenance, less enjoyment time than the GT. And, the GT is a faster car stock, let alone with simple mods like a pulley, chip and exhaust.

Bottom line: black w/silver stripes Ford GT, just like Clax's car. :)

-Olivier

997 Turbo? the car stand out as much as a boxster. the Ford GT is good but the Diablo is a diablo! the devil on wheels!

Thanks for the feedback guys. Please keep them coming...really serious about this.

Some more background info. i.e. the Canadian market here:

As afore-said, there'll be 264 GT's across Canada. So it really isn't a small number. (Personally, I think if you put all the Lambos & all the 911 turbo's sold in Canada for the last 10 years, it'll probably be less than 264.) But not all the Ford dealers are selling the GT's. Some are keeping them either as owner's collection or renting them out for charity & special community events. Then there are bandits who jack the price way up looking for the ill-informed buyers. If I am getting one, I am more towards the black w/silver stripe too. I like the white with blue stripes but there are 2 around already.

997 turbo is likely to start at C$170K. But we know the final total rises just as fast as the option list is long --- probably aroubnd 200K when it rolls out. 5 or 6 are spoken for already here locally. It'll probably be late Fall before a car can be delivered. 997TT has certainly lost its status as an exotic but it gained on practicality and is possible for everyday use.

Diablo 6.0 will be sweet but the availability is close to nil here. And we can't bring US cars in otherwise I probably would have joined the Roy's Customer Club already. The Grigio Iris one in Toronto is simply too much $$$ for a car of such condition and everyone familiar with the car, including my local dealer, agrees.

Pls continue to chime in...thanks!

VCR

What are you trying to get though? What are you looking for in any of those cars?

I see you mentioned daily stealth drivability... if thats the case then the 997Turbo hands down.

Exclusivity and rareness... Keep looking for a 6.0.

A great exotic car that will attract everybody's attention, but will have fingerprints all over the windows after being parked in the same spot for an hour... Ford GT.

Those are just few examples... Tell us what are you really looking for in your next car purchase.

Hovik, thanks for the quick analysis & distinction which is really helpful!

Honestly, I would love a 6.0 as I made a post a while back asking about "taking the V12 plunge" remember? But there aren't any around at where I am. And alternatively, I'm not too thrill about Aston Martin's & Bentley's.

I had a 996TT. Good but not great...lacked the passion so to speak. Actually not too stealthy as people where I am at still turn their heads on the upper-end P-cars but stealthy enough compare to the other choices listed. And reliability and engineering is tops and can be used 365 days a year. The 997TT just takes this a notch higher.

The Ford, never looked at it until recently and worth a look it certainly is but I must admit the stereotype of "it's a Ford" is a bit disturbing.

I guess I want something that is performance-oriented, stylish looking and low-maintainence. The biggest challenge is perhaps able to carry more than just one friend and not needing to go home & change cars. I know by default that eliminates the 6.0 & the FGT, but I had a 996TT before so the thrill is less for the 997TT. Any other suggestions & recommendations then?

Since you already have the pure sports, I have had great luck with my SL65. No drama daily driver with a drop top and 604hp and 740tq. No need to sacrifice creature comforts!

the problem I see with the 911 is that its may be fast but after perhaps a month, you may not feel any magic from the looks. however it is a daily driver.

diablo or GT

the diablo has the look and it is a collectible car, it is more expensive to keep but you won't lose a penny when you'll sell it

the GT is the fastest and probably funnier car

the porshe......fast but :|

in the end i'd take the 6.0, i am biased , too much a lambo fun

Ford GT.Drive one then drive a Diablo and you will see what i mean.Forget about 997TT new.

I like the Ford GT, I would have a tough time choosing between it and the diablo. The ford probably drives better as it should; but the diablo is a classic, the ford may become something down the line...love em all actually. I would never ever ever buy a P car new, I have never seen one with even fair depreciation (996, 996TT, CGT etc)

Are there alot of exotic low maintanance roomy cars out there? hmm..

Couple of F cars come to mind, but I'm not sure if you would consider them.

How about a CLS AMG? stylish, roomy and fast, not an exotic though.

No Bentley or AM... hmm...

I guess you'll have to give up the "Roomy" requirement and go with the Ford GT.

Are there alot of exotic low maintanance roomy cars out there? hmm..

Couple of F cars come to mind, but I'm not sure if you would consider them.

How about a CLS AMG? stylish, roomy and fast, not an exotic though.

No Bentley or AM... hmm...  

I guess you'll have to give up the "Roomy" requirement and go with the Ford GT.

If there are a lot of exotics that meet the criteria, I wouldn't have made this post, right? :D

Which F-cars? I can't think of any --- 456? And the local dealer --- although I get good treatment everytime I walk in, one can feel that these guys and their customers are...well... :butthead:

Don't get me wrong: AM & Bentley's are cool but they are a complete different breed and up here their premium on new cars are way too high but drop like stones on resale. And seeing the exact same Jaguar parts in an AM & VW's on a Bentley is not too comfortable. At least Lambo has Audi's and took the effort on making them looking better.

Bottom line: black w/silver stripes Ford GT, just like Clax's car. :)

:bnose

-James Miller

Eh, you can't accuse me of having taste, right? ;)

I would get all my cars black, but that's just me...and Clax apparently!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

-Olivier

My detailer says he is going to kill me if I buy another black car. So, I might wind up dead soon.

I'm with BMWRacer on this one. The Diablo is cool, but the FGT is a pure driver's car. The car offers more fun-factor than any car I have been in, wiht the exception of the Enzo. And the fun-factor is backed up by a rock-solid chassis, great transmission (the best I have ever experienced), razor sharp handling, and retro-modern killer looks.

Amen Clax. That's why I think the FGT will become a future automotive icon and a definite collector's car.

Keep the black cars coming. :D

-Olivier

Some of the people where having this same conversation on Friday night. I think it has to be a 6.0 if you are only going to drive once in a while (ie less the 2500 miles a year)

If you were going to drive it alot a FGT with warranty seems like the best deal going

If there are a lot of exotics that meet the criteria, I wouldn't have made this post, right? :D  

Which F-cars?  I can't think of any --- 456?  And the local dealer --- although I get good treatment everytime I walk in, one can feel that these guys and their customers are...well... :butthead:  

Don't get me wrong: AM & Bentley's are cool but they are a complete different breed and up here their premium on new cars are way too high but drop like stones on resale.  And seeing the exact same Jaguar parts in an AM & VW's on a Bentley is not too comfortable.  At least Lambo has Audi's and took the effort on making them looking better.

I was more thinking of the 612... but again.. it doesn't quite fit 4 people comfortably.