Broken clutch rod- #%$&!!

beachbummed

No answer at Lambo Dallas service department but I did get to speak with the new service manager at Lambo Atlanta. There is a six month warranty on parts except for those that experience "wear and tear" which this supposedly does not fall under. I took delivery of my car from Lambo Dallas' service department on December 28 so that puts me under warranty. It should be very interesting to see what Lamborghini wants to do about this considering my car is not driveable and the closest Lambo dealer from me is about 300 miles away.

Hello Everyone,

Here are some pictures of my Clutch Rod. I have only sold 12 rods but have no problems. I have over 6000 miles on the first rod that was made for my 99 Roadster. You can contact me a [email protected] or my cell 937-478-0613.

Lamborghini's answer: we will only replace the part- no towing or labor.

I spoke with service this morning at Lambo Dallas and he said that the break may be an indication that the disc/plate/throw-out bearing needs to be replaced. I don't know if this is Lamborghini's escape clause to explain the breaking clutch rods, but this was told to me as well by another lambo mechanic at a different dealer. In their words- "The clutch plate is getting tempered because the disc is worn down and the pressure plate has to move farther to clamp the disc. There is a great amount of heat generated and the pressure builds to the point that it breaks the rod."

Lambo Dallas and Lambo Atlanta's tech both expressed concerns about using a reinforced aftermarket clutch rod as their worry is that it will apply the stress to somewhere else, perhaps the slave cylinder or the clutch system itself.

If the clutch rod breaking is an indication that the disc may need to be resurfaced and a new pressure plate/throw-out bearing is needed, then that means you have an engine-out service. And can you imagine your surprise if you get the engine out and find out that you really didn't need to do?

If my clutch rod breaks I can be stranded in the middle of nowhere or, worse, end up lurching into a busy intersection and severely damaging my car to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars. All to extend the life of my flywheel for who knows how long. That's if I buy into Lamborghini's theory of why I should continue to use their stock clutch rod. And if I really believe this theory, that means paying to do an engine out at the time it breaks to resurface the disc and replace the pressure plate and throw-out bearing. And the best part is, you may pay to get the engine out and find out that it wasn't necessary.

With the aftermarket rod, the theory is that the stress will be be applied elsewhere, most likely the clutch system. The way I look at is this- I might lose some of the life of my transmission, but at least I'll know when the clutch starts slipping. I won't be stranded sitting in the middle of an intersection or a busy highway/interstate and I won't see my car wedged underneath another one. I'll be able to get the car somewhere to safety (maybe limping, but still driveable) and I'll definitely know it's time to get the engine out and do the other maintenance that goes along with it.

Their theory is crap. The clutch rod should work throughout the operating range of the clutch assembly. It is not supposed to be a wear indicator. I'd consider taking them to small claims court on this one to make them cover towing.

Lamborghini's answer: we will only replace the part- no towing or labor.

I spoke with service this morning at Lambo Dallas and he said that the break may be an indication that the disc/plate/throw-out bearing needs to be replaced.

The key words here are " may be an indication" or it could be just a poor design or indication that the clutch pedal freeplay should be adjusted.

I would guess it is a little bit of both, the need for freeplay adjustment and the combination of a poor design.

The necessary offset design of the rod combined with stress points that are present in the threaded area of the rod are going to give you problems eventually.

But there is a need to adjust pedal travel or freeplay on a regular basis otherwise the pressure plate will start loading the throughout bearing as the clutch disc wears. If you neglect to adjust the clutch pedal or freeplay you will eventually wear out the throughout bearing or start slipping the clutch resulting in premature failure of either or both. Best of Luck Sincerely Vic

If Lamborghini says the part is designed to fail, why then did they make a new and improved "gray" clutch rod? Dose the gray rod fail with more or less pressure applied than the black rod? Also is Lamborghini Dallas admitting to selling a car with a bad clutch? If what they say is true than it would logicly follow that all clutch rods would break before the clutch needs replaced. Why would they say that the part is expenable but at the same time be willing to replace it?

It all adds up to BS to me.

Also is Lamborghini Dallas admitting to selling a car with a bad clutch?  

It all adds up to BS to  me.

Come on, not from L of D?! :lol:

Also is Lamborghini Dallas admitting to selling a car with a bad clutch?  

It all adds up to BS to  me.

Come on, not from L of D?! :lol:

Well to give credit where credit is due, LoD did not sell the car. It was purchased from their sister dealership, Motorcars International, and then forwarded to LoD for service. LoD replaced the existing slave cylinder and clutch rod with new ones. Lamborghini is the one that should come forward and admit their f*cked up cluth rod design but we all know that's not going to happen.

But according to their thinking, didn't they sell you a car with a bad clutch? Weren't you going to tell us about your L of D experience a few months back?

But according to their thinking, didn't they sell you a car with a bad clutch? Weren't you going to tell us about your L of D experience a few months back?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, actually I was just about to because the car was doing sooooo well until now. But this is actually something that appears to be commonplace so I won't bitch too much. I own the domain www.mylamboexperience.com and i'm trying to put it together right now. I've been waiting for at least 3 months of hassle-free ownership.

Like I said, the clutch rod is really a simple solution and it's not directly attributable to anyone except Lamborghini but I will say for the record that Roy Cats did step up to the plate and fix things to my satisfaction. And my car has had everything fixed brand new as soon as anything goes wrong- I am not the type of owner that lets their car get neglected for months- Both Roy and Lambo Atlanta can vouch for that. As for LoD and Motorcars Int'l- let's just say that they are full of sh*t for now.

I'll be back on the road this Saturday and I've been seriously thinking about a Murci roadster but I have to tell you- there is nothing, and I mean nothing, like a Diablo roadster. (so far......) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I just recieved my 'Custer Rod' - today.

The rod looks great, very solid - it would take an insane amount of stress to break it I imagine.....

As regards JAC - a great guy to deal with - no pissing about, sent the money and it was in the post the next day - excellent!

Weren't you going to tell us about your L of D experience a few months back?

I clearly do not post much but I have read and learned a great deal from this board. I appreciate everything that Allan and the moderators do to make it such a great place.

That being said...abolfaz, why do you always stir the pot whenever LoD is mentioned? Do you have a personal experience with them that you would like to share? It just seems that whenever Dallas is mentioned you are the first to stir things up. Maybe I am just being a little defensive as a fellow Texan ;).

jjb

Weren't you going to tell us about your L of D experience a few months back?

I clearly do not post much but I have read and learned a great deal from this board. I appreciate everything that Allan and the moderators do to make it such a great place.

That being said...abolfaz, why do you always stir the pot whenever LoD is mentioned? Do you have a personal experience with them that you would like to share? It just seems that whenever Dallas is mentioned you are the first to stir things up. Maybe I am just being a little defensive as a fellow Texan ;).

jjb

jjb-

#1- If you want to disuss the merits of LOD, please do so as a new topic. abolfaz and I have a long running discussion on the matter- that is why he posted, to me, in my thread.

#2- You better get use to being on the defensive if you count LOD as your "fellow Texan" :lol:

A friend came in last Saturday who is very experienced with Lamborghinis and he installed the new Custer clutch rod. A very hearty thanks to him and DCM Car Care in Destin for letting me use their lift. The car has been running great for the past week and the shifting actually feels better than before (probably attributed to the old rod weakening)

Here's some pics of the swap-out if anyone is interested: