NSX sucessor already dumped by Honda

Mako

That didn't take long, lol.

What they didn't think people were going to buy this abomination for $150k? Why not? :lol2:

Japan Report: Acura’s NSX Seen Headed Back To The Drawing Board?

Winding Road, Automotive News February 21st, 2007 2:08 PM

When Acura showed the Advanced Sports Car Concept off at Detroit this January the car drew a lot of wows, but insiders let it be known that the shiny showstand beauty was not for real.

How could it be when the concept was an engineless interiorless fiberglass mock-up with blacked-out windows? Wait for the Tokyo Show in October went the word, when Honda/Acura would show an updated version, much closer to what will appear in the showrooms around 2009 complete with promised V-10 engine.

Now comes word from a source familiar with the program that the Tokyo Show car won’t be for real either, and that secretly behind the scenes Acura has completely torn up the whole script and started over. Honda’s top management isn’t happy with either car, so we hear, so it’s back to the drawing board, again, at least in terms of how the finished car will look, although the basic proportions and front-engined V-10 package and all-wheel drive layout will stay…

Adding to the pressure of course is the Lexus LF-A and thunderous new Nissan Skyline GT-R, two major league rivals close to production and that at the going rate will beat the Acura into the showroom by years.

Another issue is price. While the NSX ended up a $90,000 car, Acura is thinking about $150,000 for the new V-10 car, which is Aston Martin DB9 money, near enough, so the customer base is set to be far more exclusive even than the NSX….

AcuraASCconcept_1_560px.jpg

That didn't take long, lol.

What they didn't think people were going to buy this abomination for $150k? Why not? :lol2:

Japan Report: Acura’s NSX Seen Headed Back To The Drawing Board?

Winding Road, Automotive News February 21st, 2007 2:08 PM

When Acura showed the Advanced Sports Car Concept off at Detroit this January the car drew a lot of wows, but insiders let it be known that the shiny showstand beauty was not for real.

How could it be when the concept was an engineless interiorless fiberglass mock-up with blacked-out windows? Wait for the Tokyo Show in October went the word, when Honda/Acura would show an updated version, much closer to what will appear in the showrooms around 2009 complete with promised V-10 engine.

Now comes word from a source familiar with the program that the Tokyo Show car won’t be for real either, and that secretly behind the scenes Acura has completely torn up the whole script and started over. Honda’s top management isn’t happy with either car, so we hear, so it’s back to the drawing board, again, at least in terms of how the finished car will look, although the basic proportions and front-engined V-10 package and all-wheel drive layout will stay…

Adding to the pressure of course is the Lexus LF-A and thunderous new Nissan Skyline GT-R, two major league rivals close to production and that at the going rate will beat the Acura into the showroom by years.

Another issue is price. While the NSX ended up a $90,000 car, Acura is thinking about $150,000 for the new V-10 car, which is Aston Martin DB9 money, near enough, so the customer base is set to be far more exclusive even than the NSX….

NSX = :shit: :repuke: :lame: :jack: :icon_toilet: :icon_mrgreen: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

NSX = :shit: :repuke: :lame: :jack: :icon_toilet: :icon_mrgreen: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I feel sorry for Honda, they're a little clueless as to their place in terms of brand status right now.

Right or wrong, no one, noooooooo one, is spending over $100k on a Honda, much less $150k. It could be a $150k "Enzo" from Honda and no one would buy it.

Best to just give up, leave the category to the big dogs, and go make the world's best S2000. That price point they can dominate.

I feel sorry for Honda, they're a little clueless as to their place in terms of brand status right now.

Right or wrong, no one, noooooooo one, is spending over $100k on a Honda, much less $150k. It could be a $150k "Enzo" from Honda and no one would buy it.

Best to just give up, leave the category to the big dogs, and go make the world's best S2000. That price point they can dominate.

Speaking of............what are you driving nowadays ???

Speaking of............what are you driving nowadays ???

Sedan: 04 Lexus LS430 - I use this to pick up 60yr old Asian women in Irvine...works like a charm!! :monkeyleft: :monkeyleft: :monkeyleft:

Sportscar: Currently unoccupied

Debating which direction I want to go to fill the second slot. Truthfully I'd like an 06 Gallardo coupe, but If I can I'd like to hold out until they come off warranty and benefit from a little more depreciation. Tough not owning a sportscar for the first time in a decade.

Hey I forgot who I'm talking to here...WANT TO GO "1/8TH OWNERSHIP" ON SOMETHING T??? :lol2: :lol2:

I am not so sure, that if Honda got it right at 150K, people would not buy.

I believe I heard, that an as-new 1992-4 Honda NR 750 motorcycle, with little or no miles, can bring up to 75K. If

someone will pay 75K for a Honda motorcycle, they should not have a problem paying 150K for a Honda supercar.

I feel quite a few people are going to assume, that Honda will get it right, and that service will most likely not be an issue.

I am not so sure, that if Honda got it right at 150K, people would not buy.

I believe I heard, that an as-new 1992-4 Honda NR 750 motorcycle, with little or no miles, can bring up to 75K. If

someone will pay 75K for a Honda motorcycle, they should not have a problem paying 150K for a Honda supercar.

I feel quite a few people are going to assume, that Honda will get it right, and that service will most likely not be an issue.

The bikes are a little different, Honda has a legitimate status level in that arena at the high end that consumers of those products are aware of.

But on the car side of the business, guys aren't pulling up to their country clubs in a $150k "NSX 2" when there are mega-status choices from Aston, MB, BMW, Bentley, Lambo, Porsche, etc, in that bracket. We're not talking about diehard sportscar nuts like ourselves, we're talking about the high-end mass market, which is needed to hit Honda's stated goal of "1500 per year" production targets for this car.

It's easy to sell 250 of anything to car nuts if it's a superior performing car. Instead of an Enzo, lets call this front-engine V10 project from Honda a "$150k 599 GTB". So their goal is to create a car as fast, and as fulfilling drive as the current top-end FR Ferrari. If they did that, they'd sell 250-500 per year no problem to the guys who could care less about what their country club or social club or neighbors think.

But 1500 is tough at that price point, you've got to appeal to the mainstream. And the mainstream requires status for that kind of outlay.

It really is the "Barack Obama" debate applied to cars. You'd like to think that brand name, and status, and other cosmetic pecking order factors don't apply when it comes to simply choosing the best choice to fulfill the role. Many of us fit that description, we own/owned cars that were socially frowned upon when we could have purchased "acceptable" cars (NSX 3.2L versus 911 C2 for example).

But we live in a world where the majority is simply not ready for that sort of thought process, and unfortunately Honda isn't going to be breaking sales records with any car, no matter how good, sold above $100k. Just too far of a reach for them at this time.

FIRST off, that thing is NOT an NSX susccesor in any way at all

its a fugly abomination, its not even mid engine

Second, I sure as hell would pay 150k for the next NSX if they do it right like they did the first time. It sounds like some people hear need the status of the bull or horsey in order to buy a car. Im still first on my dealers list to gte the real next "NSX" and have been for two years+

The NSX is still the best car I have ever driven in my life. A new one obviosly would need more power. But when you got the one of the best handling cars in the world you dont need 600+ hp to keeps up with a 4400lb pig :eusa_naughty:

Its a shame how shitty a 90k Honda can make a 300k Lambo look at times, maybe a joint venture would work :)

Honda builds everything except the engine (they would just make it reliable) And the way Audi is designing things maybe Honda should design it too :eusa_think:

I love my Lambo, but to look down on the NSX because it not Italian or a status symbol to many of you guys is a grave mistake.

The bikes are a little different, Honda has a legitimate status level in that arena at the high end that consumers of those products are aware of.

But on the car side of the business, guys aren't pulling up to their country clubs in a $150k "NSX 2" when there are mega-status choices from Aston, MB, BMW, Bentley, Lambo, Porsche, etc, in that bracket. We're not talking about diehard sportscar nuts like ourselves, we're talking about the high-end mass market, which is needed to hit Honda's stated goal of "1500 per year" production targets for this car.

It's easy to sell 250 of anything to car nuts if it's a superior performing car. Instead of an Enzo, lets call this front-engine V10 project from Honda a "$150k 599 GTB". So their goal is to create a car as fast, and as fulfilling drive as the current top-end FR Ferrari. If they did that, they'd sell 250-500 per year no problem to the guys who could care less about what their country club or social club or neighbors think.

But 1500 is tough at that price point, you've got to appeal to the mainstream. And the mainstream requires status for that kind of outlay.

It really is the "Barack Obama" debate applied to cars. You'd like to think that brand name, and status, and other cosmetic pecking order factors don't apply when it comes to simply choosing the best choice to fulfill the role. Many of us fit that description, we own/owned cars that were socially frowned upon when we could have purchased "acceptable" cars (NSX 3.2L versus 911 C2 for example).

But we live in a world where the majority is simply not ready for that sort of thought process, and unfortunately Honda isn't going to be breaking sales records with any car, no matter how good, sold above $100k. Just too far of a reach for them at this time.

It would be difficult, to sell 1,500 150K Honda autos per year.

FIRST off, that thing is NOT an NSX susccesor in any way at all

its a fugly abomination, its not even mid engine

Second, I sure as hell would pay 150k for the next NSX if they do it right like they did the first time. It sounds like some people hear need the status of the bull or horsey in order to buy a car. Im still first on my dealers list to gte the real next "NSX" and have been for two years+

The NSX is still the best car I have ever driven in my life. A new one obviosly would need more power. But when you got the one of the best handling cars in the world you dont need 600+ hp to keeps up with a 4400lb pig :eusa_naughty:

Its a shame how shitty a 90k Honda can make a 300k Lambo look at times, maybe a joint venture would work :)

Honda builds everything except the engine (they would just make it reliable) And the way Audi is designing things maybe Honda should design it too :eusa_think:

I love my Lambo, but to look down on the NSX because it not Italian or a status symbol to many of you guys is a grave mistake.

We'll put you in that hardcore 250-500 group Dan. ;)

Agree with your comments, I owned a 3.2L NSX and enjoyed it. I chose it over other more status-driven cars at that time because I felt it was the best option as a sportscar.

But if the first NSX taught us anything, it taught us that status is critical to any expensive car's hopes of being successful:

YEAR ONE NSX SALES: 3000

YEAR TWO NSX SALES: 1100

YEAR THREE NSX SALES: 584

NSX owners look back and think "Ah, if only Honda had updated this car, it would have sold a lot more". But the numbers don't bear that out. It dropped off because after the hype faded, all that was left was its cache and status in terms of generating year-over-year sales. And it just didn't have that ability.

They're hesitant to produce the next NSX because they agree with me. They cannot afford to spend another billion dollars on a high-end car and have it flop in terms of volume sales.

We'll put you in that hardcore 250-500 group Dan. ;)

Agree with your comments, I owned a 3.2L NSX and enjoyed it. I chose it over other more status-driven cars at that time because I felt it was the best option as a sportscar.

But if the first NSX taught us anything, it taught us that status is critical to any expensive car's hopes of being successful:

YEAR ONE NSX SALES: 3000

YEAR TWO NSX SALES: 1100

YEAR THREE NSX SALES: 584

NSX owners look back and think "Ah, if only Honda had updated this car, it would have sold a lot more". But the numbers don't bear that out. It dropped off because after the hype faded, all that was left was its cache and status in terms of generating year-over-year sales. And it just didn't have that ability.

They're hesitant to produce the next NSX because they agree with me. They cannot afford to spend another billion dollars on a high-end car and have it flop in terms of volume sales.

the NSX was never ment to make money, and the "poor sales" are something I enjoy!! Im glad they only sold 200 of my 2001 NSX :)

Id hate to have a POS and see 5 every 20 mins, its a treat to see a NSX. I see more Ferraris than NSX's :)

As far as upadates. I HATE updates, they made it right the first time and really never changed much over the 15 years :)

I would be pissed as hell to have bought a 04 or 05 Murci Roadster just to have it outdone in 06 by the LP640 Roadster.

Do it right the first time and leave it alone.

Why do you think I got the 6.0?? They cant update that :eusa_dance:

they kinda already have a new NSX out, its called a Porsche Carrera GT :)

too bad its not that exotic, but itll be my next car :)

Poor sales, no updates, and all :icon_super:

the NSX was never ment to make money, and the "poor sales" are something I enjoy!! Im glad they only sold 200 of my 2001 NSX :)

Id hate to have a POS and see 5 every 20 mins, its a treat to see a NSX. I see more Ferraris than NSX's :)

That's a myth propagated by NSX fans who have been victimized by poor research on the subject by certain journalists. Soichiro Honda definitely intended to have the car break even at least, so much so that he fretted there not being enough space in the early mule's trunk for two golf bags. It had to be everything to everyone. It was definitely a statement halo car for sure, Japan's first exotic. But they sank a tremendous amount of money into it and fully expected annual sales to exceed 2500 units each and every year it was in the channel.

As far as upadates. I HATE updates, they made it right the first time and really never changed much over the 15 years :)

I would be pissed as hell to have bought a 04 or 05 Murci Roadster just to have it outdone in 06 by the LP640 Roadster. Do it right the first time and leave it alone.:)

That's a good point. Very annoying when the yearly updates are superior to what you just bought. But I think when NSX owners gripe about updates they're mainly referring to power levels. Honda went to the 3.2L option too late, and should have kept ratcheting it upward as the years past. Instead they softened the suspension, added a less rigid t-top, and appealed to the "luxury" segment.

They kinda already have a new NSX out, its called a Porsche Carrera GT :) too bad its not that exotic, but it'll be my next car :)

Poor sales, no updates, and all :icon_super:

LOL, the CGT being the adopted successor to the NSX is a new one, I hadn't heard that before from other NSXers. :icon_thumleft:

Two years ago I nominated the Gallardo as being the car Honda should have made as the "NSX 2" between 2002-current, because it encompasses everything they now say is important to them (AWD, reliability, 500hp V10, etc). It's a little heavy, but if you get a 6-speed, drop two Recaros in, and change the exhaust, you can get it down nearly to the 3.2L NSX's stock weight.

Either way it's shame the NSX is just a fond memory. They dropped the ball and didn't pick it back up because of many reasons, not the least of which was the falling Yen, an economy that is still depressed from their 90s bubble popping, and the competition as Ferrari, Porsche, and Lambo, all stepped up to answer the threat.

I knew it wasn't gonna make it, the old car looked waaaaaaaaaay better than the POS wannabe Viper that honda had plans of building. Thank god they decided to cancel it. :eusa_dance:

I hope Honda comes out with something soon, because with the new Skyline GTR debuting Honda doesn't really have much time to waste in introducing a new Japanese sports car. Id like to see an updated NSX, with updated styling, not to extreme, with updated perfomance figures. The NSX Type R is an amazing car to this date. Who could of imaged a 3.2L car could keep up with 6.0L+ supercars.

Good thread Mako. I have fond memories of my 03 NSX, and the giveaway lease payment of 800 bucks a month..... It is a pity, Honda can't seem to get their shit together on the next generation model, been a lot of talk/concepts, but no action. This new attempt seemed to be a change of direction, possibly something to compete with the new Lexus supercar. If they produce another money losing state of the art car, and only sell a few hundred a year at a loss it would be fine with me. I heard each Veyron cost something like 3 million to build, goes out the door for less than half of that. Big companies work in mysterious ways, to promote brand and image.

yeah, Honda are really confused. I think Nissan is going the wrong way as well. Honda should create another car which is like the NSX which will compete with evo's and subaru's. Plus with Nissan I heard that the new skyline will have a big price tag (if its true). So it will come into competition with Porsche's which is a big mistake i think.

common, would rather have a Nissan or a Porsche? :eusa_wall:

yeah, Honda are really confused. I think Nissan is going the wrong way as well. Honda should create another car which is like the NSX which will compete with evo's and subaru's. Plus with Nissan I heard that the new skyline will have a big price tag (if its true). So it will come into competition with Porsche's which is a big mistake i think.

common, would rather have a Nissan or a Porsche? :eusa_wall:

vs a carrera 2? a nissan.

I think they should make the next NSX a mid-engine supercar like the first car was 15 years ago.

Unfortunately, I think the Audi R8 is as close as we will ever get to the true NSX successor.

The NSX2 is UGLY!!! I agree with Dan front engine is a no no. They gotta hit the drawing board again. I love the NSX.

Honda will get it right. Just like the first the NSX set some new benchmarks I think that Honda will do it again. They are taking their sweet time though.

Anyone that thinks the NSX is crap has probably never driven one. They are not the fastest (especially by todays comparisions) but they are truly a great car and you have to admire what Honda accomplished on their first try.

I am pretty sure that it will remain mid-engine and a 3.5-4.0 V10 will appear with around 450-480hp. Although I too have moved on to other cars, I still have my 92 which I will never sell.