Diablo VT error light flashing?

ginracer

I have a 1999 Diablo and I let it sit too long and the battery died. I charged it and everything seems fine. The only problem is that the error light is flashing on the adjustable suspension module on the center console. Can someone tell me what I need to do to reset or do I need to take it to a dealer? Thanks for any advise.

The KONI system has detected an error. It has nothing to do with your dead battery. More than likely one of the internal shock motors has died. There are ways to set the KONI system into diag mode to try and figure out what is wrong. I can find the info if you want but unless you plan on fixing things yourself, you are headed to the service shop.

-mick

Your lucky to have a 99 VT. I hear not many VT's were brought into the U.S. that year.

not to jack the thread, but I have a question regarding 99 diablos in general. Basically, how driveable are they? Can you take it on a 3 hour drive without being afraid of the next thing going wrong? Or do you have to be careful and cautious with it? How is it in comparison to the 6.0 ( driveability wise ). The 99 SV is my favorite car, but I don't want to get one and then have the car towed back home evertime I take it out.

Thanks

The KONI system has detected an error. It has nothing to do with your dead battery. More than likely one of the internal shock motors has died. There are ways to set the KONI system into diag mode to try and figure out what is wrong. I can find the info if you want but unless you plan on fixing things yourself, you are headed to the service shop.

-mick

Hi Mick,

I charged the battery and I used the shock system, lifting the front end up and down a few times and it seemed to work fine? I also took it to Sonoma from Sacramento and it drove fine? Can I do the diag. or does the dealer have to do it? Thanks for your help.

Ray

Your lucky to have a 99 VT. I hear not many VT's were brought into the U.S. that year.

not to jack the thread, but I have a question regarding 99 diablos in general. Basically, how driveable are they? Can you take it on a 3 hour drive without being afraid of the next thing going wrong? Or do you have to be careful and cautious with it? How is it in comparison to the 6.0 ( driveability wise ). The 99 SV is my favorite car, but I don't want to get one and then have the car towed back home evertime I take it out.

Thanks

Hi GR8-1,

This is my first Lambo. I love it and it drives great. I have driven it to Sonoma this weekend and it drives great. I have a 95 348 spider and the Lambo feels better and drives better. I also have a 993tt, it is smoother than the Lambo. However, the Lambo has a lot more power and a lot more fun to drive.

I hear the 6.0 is even better than the 99VT? I don't know, I have never driven one. As for numbers imported to the US, I was told that I have the one of three blk MY99 in the US and the only blk/blk.

I don't know much about MY99 SV. I would think it would harder to get the MY VT? I was told the MY SV is a little faster than MY99 VT. However, the ride is not as smooth and it is a two wheel drive.

I would recommend driving both and see which one you like the best and that is the one you want to buy.

Basically, how driveable are they? Can you take it on a 3 hour drive without being afraid of the next thing going wrong? Or do you have to be careful and cautious with it? How is it in comparison to the 6.0 ( driveability wise ). The 99 SV is my favorite car, but I don't want to get one and then have the car towed back home evertime I take it out.

Thanks

I have a 99 VT Roadster. I would drive it basically anywhere for any amount of time. And I have. However, it did take a little while to feel comfortable doing that.

-mick

I charged the battery and I used the shock system, lifting the front end up and down a few times and it seemed to work fine? I also took it to Sonoma from Sacramento and it drove fine? Can I do the diag. or does the dealer have to do it? Thanks for your help.
Note that the lifting system is totally seperate from the ride stiffness operation. If the ride stiffness operation fails (error light), level 3 is pretty ok. So you may not feel things being too bad.

-mick

Once you diagnose which shock it is, tap it with a pipe wrench a few times and spray some lube on it. If that doesn't fix it, the servo is probably bad. This is by far the most frustrating experience of owning the Diablo with the electronically controlled Koni shocks. When this happens, the system defaults to the firmest setting. AFAIK, there is no harm being done to the car. The only issue is the constantly blinking error light. To fix it and go back to being able to adjust the firmness settings, you will need to replace the bad shock. I'm replacing one right now and I price shoppped several dealers. Lowest price I got was $1,787. Highest was $2,400.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why this occurs other than an inherent fault in Koni's design which they will not admit to. There is no aftermarket alternative at this time to fix/replace the servo.

The front hydraulic shocks are prone to leaking. When this occurs, you will need to replace them. There is an alternative that is offered by a member of this forum, John Custer. John has engineered some tools that can take apart the shocks, replace the seals, and put them back together again. He has just done this with my two front shocks and they will be re-installed on my car this week. He pressure tests the shock when he's done at 1600 psi for 24 hours. The cost is $500 per shock versus $2000 for a new one from the dealer. Hopefully this will be the last time that I replace a leaking front shock.

Other than the shock and clutch rod issues (which I replaced my clutch rod with John's aftermarket design with no further problems), my 97 roadster has been a joy to drive. I have taken it several times on 6 hour trips between my homes in Florida and Georgia without any problems.

When this happens, the system defaults to the firmest setting.
The system should default to setting 3 ie the 2nd firmest setting. As such, driving at very high speed should be avoided. Minor point.

As a word of caution, when my system failed it was because of the actual KONI ECU - not the shocks. I'm sure that most of the time it is the shocks, but I mention this just so its kept in mind.

-mick

Thank you eveyone for your input as well as the website for the Diagnostic/repair. It seems as everthing is fine after the diagnostics. Now the red error light is not flashing. YEAH!!! :eusa_dance: I have yet to road test it. I will try and do it this weekend and give everyone an update.

gday, do you work on your own cars? You sure know a lot about these cars. Thanks for your input. :icon_super:

Ray

GR8,

Do you live near Sacramento? If so, I can take you for a spin.

Ray

thanks for the offer, but I'm not even close to Sac.

Thanks anyway.

• 5 years later...
  • 7 months later...
This link doesn't appear to work anymore. If any forum members have this information, would you kindly post it? Thank you!

Yes please, could someone fix the link please?