2005 CL65 AMG

sprite

Well I'm looking for a car to run errands, drive when I need to fit more than 2 people. I think I've narowed it down to a 05 CL65AMG or 07 BMW M5, but I'm not really sure which one I want. I use my Murci for daily driving, but want another 'practical' car in addition. I guess the requirements are 4+ seats and some trunk space. How horrid is the automatic transmission in the 65?

Anoher car I'm considering is a 07 Audi RS4 as it might be more fun to drive.

So the choice is between is: 05 Mercedes CL65AMG, 07 BMW M5, 07 Audi RS/4

The auto transmission is not bad. It has a sport setting where it doesn't shift too early. The CL65 will be quite a bit faster than your other choices in the straight line with more horsepower and its huge torque advantage and likely worse in the turns, since it's heavier (though they are all quite heavy), has worse weight distribution, and probably softer suspension. Since it has turbos, it can be modified for more power easier than others. It has the stability control that's pretty good at minimizing body roll. I'm replacing the tires with the Michelin PS2's, since the stock tires break traction too easily. The interior is nice. The ride quality is good. The CL63s with the new body style will start showing up on the streets soon. The engine is quiet. It's got lots of electronics and many adjustments (ex. for the seats). There are some annoying quirks (ex. when you put the turn signal on and then off very quickly, it stays on and when it's very cold the windows freeze and don't close completely). The trunk size is pretty good and the rear seat room is fine if you move the seats forward a bit. The car is long but easy to park (especially compared to the Murci, which I think is worse than the Diablo!).

The auto transmission is not bad. It has a sport setting where it doesn't shift too early. The CL65 will be quite a bit faster than your other choices in the straight line with more horsepower and its huge torque advantage and likely worse in the turns, since it's heavier (though they are all quite heavy), has worse weight distribution, and probably softer suspension. Since it has turbos, it can be modified for more power easier than others. It has the stability control that's pretty good at minimizing body roll. I'm replacing the tires with the Michelin PS2's, since the stock tires break traction too easily. The interior is nice. The ride quality is good. The CL63s with the new body style will start showing up on the streets soon. The engine is quiet. It's got lots of electronics and many adjustments (ex. for the seats). There are some annoying quirks (ex. when you put the turn signal on and then off very quickly, it stays on and when it's very cold the windows freeze and don't close completely). The trunk size is pretty good and the rear seat room is fine if you move the seats forward a bit. The car is long but easy to park (especially compared to the Murci, which I think is worse than the Diablo!).

Cool, it seems like a lot of car for the money considering how much they have depreciated. I guess I will go have to test drive one, I think the BMW M5 may be my top choice right now.

I have some passenger-seat-time in a SL65 AMG with a 700HP chip. The torque/power of the AMG 65 with the twin turbos is unbelievable. You get all the power at 2500-3000 RPM! Considering you have a Murci as a "DD" you would only need a car like this when you have several passengers with you, in this case the CL seems like your best bet. I think the M5/RS4s have a sportier/stiffer suspension and they are probably better at the track than the CL, but the CL is a high powered highway cruiser with all the comforts you could need. But test drive them all and see what one fits your needs the best.

sprite,

I would honestly stick to a CL65 for your situation. You do not need another "exciting" car to drive if you already have the Murcie has a sports car. You'll have plenty of excitement there. For rainy days or when going to a club/restaurant, I'd just want the comfort and boulevard rocketship ability of the CL.

That's just my 2 cents.

-Olivier

Im with Slowpoke, take a CLS in stead. You need 4 doors. Unbelievable enoying to have to exit the car each time others need to get in the back seat. I would also take the CLS over the m5 and rs4, because of it smoothness, and IMO the look. Not to mention you already got a sportscar :eusa_dance:

The 65 engine is amazing. I didn't have any issues with mine at all. I agree though,not having back doors is a pain if you actually use the back seats. The old body S65 can be bought for a steal now in the low 90's. You may want to try that out as well. The depreciation is great for the used market!

Yeah, i'd go for either the CL65 or the CLS63. For comfort, it's the only way to go. The M6's suspension is way too stuff for everyday driving, plus, it takes 10 min. to get to it's full potention HP with the stupid i-Drive system. The RS6 is nice, but it's an Audi. They're just trouble!!!

If you dont mine where are you located? There is a local guy who has a cl65 and blue lambo.

If you dont mine where are you located? There is a local guy who has a cl65 and blue lambo.

It must be somebody else because I sold my blue Diablo. I'm in Illinois. Where are you?

The CLS63 is a good car for the price(dealers are taking at least $8g off msrp)but the backseat is small and uncomfortable....If you want a steal look for a S65 and do a few power mods.

If you want a steal look for a S65 and do a few power mods.

Yes man! 4 Doors! Huge depreciation! What else could you ask for? You don't even really need any power mods.

I've never had a passenger say, "Thank you for making me tilt your seat forward everytime I want to enter and exit the car. It's also wonderful that I have to wait until you're no longer in the car to tilt your seat. After all, it's fun to be trapped behind you."

S for comfort, CLS for style. Of course, the CLS isn't the new hotness anymore.

I have a CL 55 and the backseat is pretty small but works for me as I am usually the only one in the car and didn't want to buy the S55. I have a 2003 and only paid $50k for it.

Rob