Amex Centurion Black Card

Allan-Herbie

I've spent over $1mm over the last 8 months and didn't get nearly that many points. Wtf?!

In all seriousness, AMEX runs promotions to transfer points to airlines. With 1mm in spending, sometimes they offer big time rewards like 50% bonus to BA transfer, or 35 or 40% bonus to KLM etc. So 1mm will get you ~ 10 international business class RT tickets, but with the 50% bonus, it's like 15 business class RT tickets easily worth 2k each, thus 2007gallardo's post about the 24k worth of tickets..

-Steven

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resurrecting this.....I have had a USAA card since 2005, the only CC I've ever had outside of a AMEX for work. USAA recently increases my auto insurance for no reason, which they have done before and I think I'm finally tired of them and looking to switch both services. Have looked at black card but I don't travel that much and the AMEX platinum is interesting but I don't like that it is a charge card. The capital one rewards or maybe a Chase card would be best but I have no idea. Any recommendations for a good cash back card?

Resurrecting this.....I have had a USAA card since 2005, the only CC I've ever had outside of a AMEX for work. USAA recently increases my auto insurance for no reason, which they have done before and I think I'm finally tired of them and looking to switch both services. Have looked at black card but I don't travel that much and the AMEX platinum is interesting but I don't like that it is a charge card. The capital one rewards or maybe a Chase card would be best but I have no idea. Any recommendations for a good cash back card?

fcuk Capital One, fcuk them in the ass with a titanium pine cone mounted to the end of a sawzall.

I've had a chase rewards card for years, it's pretty much 1% flat across the board, but don't expect anything from them in the service department. I use it only when I have to, like ordering things online where people don't take AMEX.

My main card is the Costco Amex. Cash back ranges from 1-3%, no annual fee (if you have a costco membership, if you don't, you should anyway) and all the great amex service you're used to.

PS, fcuk Capital One.

I use a Discover cash back card for everything. Ive never had a problem with them. No fees.

I think I have a Costco membership but I haven't been there in years lol. And your hatred for Capitalone reminds me that I applied there for my first CC after college and was rejected so I will nix that idea. Maybe I will look into the Amex more.

I use a Discover cash back card for everything. Ive never had a problem with them. No fees.

My current is a MC. I thought it was spotty where Discover and Amex are accepted which is why I would lean more towards another MC or Visa as it would be my only CC

My current is a MC. I thought it was spotty where Discover and Amex are accepted which is why I would lean more towards another MC or Visa as it would be my only CC

Its not as bad as AMEX. I have a Cabela's Visa card for every place that doesnt accept my Discover. Also with no fees.

Shit, I almost forgot, since you're already a USAA member, check out pentagon federal credit union. www . penfed . com

Shit, I almost forgot, since you're already a USAA member, check out pentagon federal credit union. www . penfed . com

:iamwithstupid: I have all my credits cards through Penfed.

Chase has a nice cash reward program that gives 1% on everything and 5% on special category

Bank of America has a card that gives 1-3% cash and $100 when you sign up.

Amex alone just doesn't do it. There are merchants that won't take Amex still.

I signed up with Capitol One 3 years ago. Always heard they are a little shady. To my surprise, they offer awesome service. On one occasion, I had to chargeback a hotel, they were very reassuring. Don't know if it's changed there after 2008 financial crisis. Maybe. Capitol one is the only card that does not charge a fee for foreign transactions. If you travel overseas a lot, you can save some money on FX fees. Their card is 1% cash.

In my searching around today I noticed a few cards that had no foreign transaction fees though it is limited. My mortgage is through capitalone due to transfers from the original lenders. There has been occasions where they put my payments toward the wrong months and then said I was behind. Can't say I'm too thrilled with them.

My main card is the Costco Amex. Cash back ranges from 1-3%, no annual fee (if you have a costco membership, if you don't, you should anyway) and all the great amex service you're used to.

MIne too. If I traveled more I'd upgrade to an Amex Platinum but I don't so I'll stay with this. Great amex customer service coupled with decent cash back.

In my searching around today I noticed a few cards that had no foreign transaction fees though it is limited. My mortgage is through capitalone due to transfers from the original lenders. There has been occasions where they put my payments toward the wrong months and then said I was behind. Can't say I'm too thrilled with them.

All my penfed cards have no foreign transaction fees

I went ahead and got a Visa Signature card through NavyFed. Has a small yearly fee and some perks. Been pretty happy with NavyFed for other services anyways. I hadn't looked at cards in years and didn't realize my 3000 points ($3000 spent) for $25 cash back was pretty shitting with USAA compared to what else was out there.

• 9 months later...

I saw a 2009 thread on this, but I have heard since, that Visa has changed some of it's perks and practices with this card. Does anyone have any opinions on it?

I already have an American Express Platinum, but wanting to get another card similar that is taken everywhere since American Express isn't always accepted. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I saw a 2009 thread on this, but I have heard since, that Visa has changed some of it's perks and practices with this card. Does anyone have any opinions on it?

I already have an American Express Platinum, but wanting to get another card similar that is taken everywhere since American Express isn't always accepted. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I have one.... It's ok.... I like the points program and they send me free shit all the time....

Barclaycard is the one setting up the so called black card. The program is done by barclaycard and not visa. It's a bit of rip off considering the annual fee.

There are tons of Visa cards with excellent service from Bank of America and Capitol one. Interestingly, cap one service is by far the best and there is no fx fees.

Yeah, some of the "regular" premium cards are so good I don't see a huge benefit to paying the mental fees for the top tier. I don't know how the Centurion could be THAT much better then the platinum. It is an image thing tho I guess, whipping out the old black card