Well, the Lambo guys aren't gonna like it....

chuckd

I dont think there is any doubt that the 722 would win. the video is loading for me, just VERY slowly.

edit: just watched it. not close. but with a proper launch I think the LP640 would have been much closer. it still would have lost to the 722 but it would have been closer. with a proper launch against the regular SLR would be interesting.

Dude, you have lost yor marbles. What they both basicly did, was take off from idle. Even once the Lp640 got going, you could see the SLR was putting buslengths on it. Going back to the point of the launch is a moot point, as the SLR could ALSO launch far better than that.

And there really isnt much difference in performance between the SLR722 and the SLR.

To give you an idea, I just spent sometime in that SLR here in Scottsdale the otherday. Afterwards I was in the Gallardo. It was literally like going from as Pantera likes to say, one of those Blue Angels F16's to a Cessna, with a broken prop. What is so amazing about the SLR, is that from 5 mph roll, you can literally, give it half throttle, and it will smoke the Murci or Gallardo.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was literally like going from as Pantera likes to say, one of those Blue Angels F16's to a Cessna, with a broken prop.

Blue Angles fly F-18s. :icon_thumleft:

Forgive my ignorance of the SLR, I've never even been in one. But, if it were slower than the murci - all other traits handling looks etc as they are, except acceleration - would you guys still like it so much? I guess what I'm asking is, is it just the power of it that makes it a good car?

Forgive my ignorance of the SLR, I've never even been in one. But, if it were slower than the murci - all other traits handling looks etc as they are, except acceleration - would you guys still like it so much? I guess what I'm asking is, is it just the power of it that makes it a good car?
For me, the SLR is the total package for what im looking. Looks,performance, modabilty, and an in your face attitude. That combined with the fact that Ive already had a Murci, that I dont feel the Lp640 is worth close to 2x what you can buy a nice murcielago for seal the deal for me.

What are you talking about dude. Did you watch the same video I was watching ? I mean yeah the LP got a shitty launch but once it was moving at full acceleration the SLR was still pulling away from it. I would still choose an LP ovver th SLR but that 722 is dam fast. I don't think even with a good launch it would be close enough to make a difference.

Tony,

I kind of share your thoughts even though my first post was a kind of foolish written (please excuse my poor english skills)... So please, don't get me wrong, from the videos standpoint you are more correct than me!

What I was trying to express IMHO was the fact that I think (no facts at all) if the LP640 had been given a hard launch it would get the jump on the SLR, making it a lot harder for the SLR to pass the LP, at least untill 200km/h... After that speed, sure, the SLR would probably start hauling the LP back in but 200km/h is pretty fast in a streetrace..

Btw, according to Allans Gallardo/Cessna/SLR comments above I need to get a ride in one of theese badboys, it sure sounds sick! Good luck in the search for one Allan! :icon_thumleft:

Best regards!

Nice vid, but like allan said, how about another vid with a rolling start? Say from 50mph, if possible?

For me, the SLR is the total package for what im looking. Looks,performance, modabilty, and an in your face attitude.

Allan, in my area there are several women that drive SLR's. I agree the car is outstanding, but I don't think it has the "in your face attitude", on the other hand, its been a while since lamborghini has had the "in your face attitude" as well.

I would still rather have the Lambo... even if the SLR is faster... Would rather have the a car for its looks then its speed.. lets be real unless your on a track.. its all about looks...

still not convinced that a regular SLR would be able to beat the LP640 by a significant margin, especially from a dig. AWD launches own.

It's hard for me to believe that two cars with almost the same weight and HP would leave such a margin between each other in a drag race.

It's undeniable that the 722 is fast as hell, but if you're gonna do a test between those two cars, then you should do it right. Top off both cars with fuel, line 'em up, and make sure both drives know what they're doing.

Happy hunting.

u can throw HP out of this argument, its all about the torque the SLR makes, 500TQ+ to the wheels gets a car moving very fast, results from a roll will be just as bad if not worse from a dead start

if the Murcielago LP640 loses even with a launch like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUiULE6IyiQ

then I will stop arguing on the LP's side. but the launch in the video wasnt even close to this one. moreover, automatic vs shifting at 7500 rpm, even though max power is at 8000 rpm. I dont expect the LP640 to be competitivly (sp?) fast from a dead stop without a proper lauch, afterall, its first gear goes to 100+ km/h.

there is also a video here of an LP640 launch this time with the egear "Thrust" thingy:

http://www.sportauto-online.de/test_U_tech...01737_14469.hbs middle of the screen, on the right. its the video with the LP640 not in the wind tunnel.

I agree, and the 722 is like 604 in the torque department!

By the way, after watching the video, that guy is taking advantage of the Murcie's launch mode. Think about the brief period there at the beginning that he had to rev before the tranny kicked in. The 722 would be waaaay ahead already.

Imagine doing a 1/4 mile at the drag strip. How would you use automatic launch mode effectively there?

if the Murcielago LP640 loses even with a launch like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUiULE6IyiQ

I was gonna post that video too :icon_mrgreen:

And the LP640 is even faster than that. A launch like that will leave the SLR behind for sure. That's about the same way the LP640 was launched against the Enzo, and it took the Enzo 10 seconds to catch up.

I agree, and the 722 is like 604 in the torque department!

By the way, after watching the video, that guy is taking advantage of the Murcie's launch mode. Think about the brief period there at the beginning that he had to rev before the tranny kicked in. The 722 would be waaaay ahead already.

Imagine doing a 1/4 mile at the drag strip. How would you use automatic launch mode effectively there?

the first video was with a 6 speed. I believe something like 5500 rpm and drop the clutch. the second video is egear. nonetheless, I dont think the LP640 would win against the SLR 722, but against the regular SLR.

And the LP640 is even faster than that. A launch like that will leave the SLR behind for sure. That's about the same way the LP640 was launched against the Enzo, and it took the Enzo 10 seconds to catch up.

cant argue with 0-60 in 3.2 seconds :icon_mrgreen: but allan will come here and tell me I have no idea what im talking about :icon_mrgreen:

I don't think we're gonna go anywhere with this stuff, so Chuck, congrats on the cars and thanks for posting even that video.

Cheers

Hey, I'm always open to criticism, no problems here.

Having traction control on obviously takes a bit of power away, but the 722 had it's on as well. This was representative of average drivers simply trying to drag race. In these normal modes, I can't see how in the world my LP could ever catch the 722.

Haven't played enough without traction control (either car), so I have no clue as to what that would do if it was off. Also, obviously I can't rev it up and drop the clutch, since I have E-gear.

Seems kinda silly though, we're kind of getting to a point of saying 'Gee, if Balboni drove the LP, with a true automatic launch, and the 722 had Stevie Wonder driving with 83 octane fuel and bags of sand in the trunk......'.

We've driven the LP alot, the old SLR alot, and the 722 very little (2 days worth). In our opinion, there's no way the LP will ever catch it.

Next video, hopefully this weekend, will be a rolling start from 50. I'll be in 2nd gear sport mode. Once we hit the 'line', we'll both punch it to 140 and see what happens.

Oh, and I won't shift until closer to 8000 RPM.

You guys are in lala land. You are counting on the Murcielago to click off a PERFECT launch, and hoping the other car in this case, doesnt launch well. You fail to realise that its not that easy to click off the perfect launch in the Murci, and you fail to realise that if the SLR can click off 3.6-3.9 seconds with the huge traction issues it faces, a simple remedy of better tires, Ie P ZERO Corsas, or even preferably drag radials, and the Murcielago is toast from even a dead stop. Ultimately, with either the SLR, or 722 SLR, inmo, the Murci can get a fantastic launch, the SLR can be backpeddling to get traction, and once it does, it will catch, and pass the Lp640. That is REALITY. I love Lambo as much as, if not more than you guys do, but reality is reality.

You have the owner of both cars, actually all 3 cars, the LP, the 722, and the SLR, telling you there is absolutely no way the Lp is catching the Slr. The distance between the 2 cars in the video is one thing, the true distance is another. Thats a MASSACRE. 15-20 car lengths EASY. Not to mention, once the Lp gets going, it doesnt stop the SLr from pulling, it keeps going, and going, and going.

the 722 will still win, do doubt. what about the regular SLR?
He already told you, approx 1 car length seperated the Slr and 722.

in the video, the LP640 was in the worst possible position, longer first gear, less torque TC on and waaaaay out of the powerband and shifting 500 rpm before maximum power. the egear LP640 has launch control. the launches will be very good.

no one here thinks the LP640 will win against the 722. but the 722 is the 722, its not the regular SLR.

Allan, no one is saying the LP will pull either SLR's, just pointing out the fact that a proper AWD launch will make a race much closer. A stock LP WILL leave a stock SLR behind from 0-60 if both are launched properly. From ANY roll the SLR will pull away. Hard.