Edmunds and Winding Road test the '08 Viper

evile

For now. The POS SS is alleged to come out next year with similar/more power.

Really? I hadn't heard that. Glad we have you around here to tell us these things Fellippe.

:lol2:

I want one in blue :)

At 600+ hp stock it won't take SRT much to either match or exceed the SS's horsepower numbers. Tuners have been installing Paxton Superchargers on the current Viper for years now. Many are dynoing between 650 and 700+ hp at the crank. It may take some development, but it won't be long before the tuners get to the new Viper engine. There's nothing keeping SRT from adding a supercharger too, and it is a relatively inexpensive modification.

Also, there are rumors flying around on the Viper Club of America forum that a factory twin turbo ACR Viper is being considered. Tuners like Heffner and Hennessey are getting over 1000 hp out of their twin turbo set ups. However, I believe the costs of that solution may be prohibitive.

Personally, I would like to see SRT release a bare bones, light-weight ACR Viper using the hot rod engine from the Viper MOPAR Concept Coupe that made the rounds at some of the auto shows this winter. Using parts (headers, polished intake, titanium valves and rods, lightened crank etc.) from the MOPAR catalog SRT was able to get 675 hp N/A out of the new Viper engine. In fact, I wish they would offer that engine as an option. Honestly, I don't think they have much to worry about...unless the new owners decide to pull the plug.

:givesfuck:

Lets wait and see the finished product first.

...I thought the current Z can trap 125? they advertise it....so it def. has happened at least once right? either way, both are fast...and both will have plenty of crashes on public roads;)

I thinking comparing the Viper and Plastic mess-06 is so stupid. Supposedly from what Ive read the new Viper does beat the current Plastic mess-06 but barely. Shit, it better be whooping that ass having 100 extra horsepowerand torque. I know that the Viper has a more exotic look and all, but personally I like the fact that I know I can cruise in comfort, have navigation with voice command, plenty of room, and have the handling of a Porsche in my Plastic mess-06 (according to an article I read, the new 08's are supposedly as good of handling as a Porsche). It's really all personal preference. I cant stand the whiney little bitches at Viperalley who bitch all day long about corvetteforum and vice verse. Enjoy the car you have at the time.

**this was not directed towards anyone, just a rant! Thanks, haha.

Edmunds has hated on vipers for a while now (first review they where nice to the car). The car can and will perform better than their test results. Regular 2004 SRT vipers stock run 11.7 3.7-3.8 with a good driver. 12.0-12.4 with a bad driver

I am surprised the Viper trapped at 125 "only". This is what a Plastic mess-06 traps at. But then again, lets wait for 3-4 more tests and see what this thing can do. Given the power/weight, I expect it to be slightly quicker than the Plastic mess-06 in a straight line, but probably much faster around the roadcourse.