Finished my Factory Five GTM

ArytonS

At long last I have completed my <GASP> kit Factory Five GTM. This thing handles amazingly! And accelerates like a #*((*$##@&$, 2300 lbs and 400rwhp can do that. Here are some photos:

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

Hmm nice Iam thinking about getting one of those or an Ultima GTR.

whats the interior look like?

How much was the total build out?

And the A/C vents and tail lights are from a, yes you guessed it, Lamborghini.

post-10159-1188346164_thumb.jpg

post-10159-1188346214_thumb.jpg

Total Build cost without labor was a knick over 65k. Not cheap to build at all. It takes between 1500-3000 hrs to complete. Interior is not 100% finished (I left off my door panels) so I'll post more pics later.

My seats are also different from shown in photo, leather and seude. High bolsters, and difficult to enter/exit but very functional. Interior is 100% black with Carbon Fiber center dash console.

Why do people do this? Spend 65K for this thing, you could have gotten a BRAND NEW Exige S, a gently used Viper SRT-10, and God knows what else.

And in case you're a totally dedicated track junkie, you could have bought an NSX and dumped 20 grand into that, stripped the interior and still had a nice car that would look hot and perform as well as that thing.

But, it's your money, and to each his own.

I did it as a technical challenge and to have something unique. Its a hobby. I didn't want a car everyone could have, and I could custom tailor a large portion of the car to my liking. I could ask the same question why would anyone buy an Exige S? Anyone with 65k can have one, they look identical to every other Exige S, and they really lack performance and presence. I also find it interesting that everyone is quick to criticize. I like it, that why I bought it and did it, same reason anyone else buys anything. I'm not delusional to think its a Lamborghini/Ferrari/Exotic substitute, but rather an interesting alternative in both execution, function, and from a hobby builder standpoint.

If I wanted a 65k production car I could've had one. An Exige S is cramped, flimsy in comparison, and looks like an Exige S. A Viper SRT-10 is ugly in my opinion, and looks like an SRT-10. I preferred the unique look of the GTM, and wanted a technical challenge. I had the money, I could've spent it however I wanted and I chose this. It will also SPANK a 20k pumped NSX. To give a quick reference, a mild GTM on slicks outlaps a GT3 cup car. If I add a Kenne Belle, only a Production Veyron as a street legal US production car is faster accelerating. C&D tested one this month, check the figures.

I did it as a technical challenge and to have something unique. Its a hobby. I didn't want a car everyone could have, and I could custom tailor a large portion of the car to my liking. I could ask the same question why would anyone buy an Exige S? Anyone with 65k can have one, they look identical to every other Exige S, and they really lack performance and presence. I also find it interesting that everyone is quick to criticize. I like it, that why I bought it and did it, same reason anyone else buys anything. I'm not delusional to think its a Lamborghini/Ferrari/Exotic substitute, but rather an interesting alternative in both execution, function, and from a hobby builder standpoint.

If I wanted a 65k production car I could've had one. An Exige S is cramped, flimsy in comparison, and looks like an Exige S. A Viper SRT-10 is ugly in my opinion, and looks like an SRT-10. I preferred the unique look of the GTM, and wanted a technical challenge. I had the money, I could've spent it however I wanted and I chose this. It will also SPANK a 20k pumped NSX. To give a quick reference, a mild GTM on slicks outlaps a GT3 cup car. If I add a Kenne Belle, only a Production Veyron as a street legal US production car is faster accelerating. C&D tested one this month, check the figures.

Well said. Hope to see you driving around sometime. I'm in your neck of the woods somewhat frequently. Good luck with the car!

I like it.

"Kit cars" will always get a bad rap, especially on a site where "copies" are a hot topic.

Let us know how it works out for you.

I like "different" also.

Dave

I think it is a worthy investment. More power to you and boy does it look gorgeous. Be sure to post more pics later. I know the feeling of wanting to have something unique.

Congratulation on your project! The cars looks good. Personally I have no problems with kit cars, my beef is with the copies..

I think that car looks BADASS. As to those who critisice: If you think an Exige is a better choice, have you seen an Lotus on track with this car or an Ultima? I belive this car is not to much unlike the ultima, and it is an amacing track-machine. I do understand the feeling of wanting to create something yourself. When someone ask you where he can buy one like yours, you can reply: "You can`t!"... If you drive an Exige, noone comes and ask...

ENJOY THE FRUIT OF YOUR WORK!!

Why do people do this? Spend 65K for this thing, you could have gotten a BRAND NEW Exige S, a gently used Viper SRT-10, and God knows what else.

And in case you're a totally dedicated track junkie, you could have bought an NSX and dumped 20 grand into that, stripped the interior and still had a nice car that would look hot and perform as well as that thing.

But, it's your money, and to each his own.

Well not everybody wants a new Elise or SRT-10. Me personally id rather have something a little diffrent than what somebody else is likely to have. Yeah sure you might see a Viper, Plastic mess-06 or an Elise and the chances are you'll see them again driving. Now if you see like an Ultima, GTM or a K1 attack the chances are you'll never see one of those again unless you go to a kitcar show. The pride in building a kit is second to non and they are alot fun to build, I like the fact that I can build it anyway I want it to be.

Plus this car is one hell of a performer for the dollar.

hey softy, why couldnt you have that attitude through the whole exhaust episode?

Sorry, no can do. that was just plain disgusting.

• 11 months later...